Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Playoffs Round 2 - New Orleans Pelicans VS Golden State Warriors - Game Three

Playoffs Western Playoffs Round 2 - New Orleans Pelicans VS Golden State Warriors - Game Three

So, we're two games into the series, two games down. I don't need to tell anyone how frustrating this series has been so far, but just to run over the key facts:

- Free throw disparity is ridiculous, we are averaging 7.8 FTA per game less than in the regular season, Golden State are averaging near 7 more than their regular season average.
    - We haven't been able to have anyone explode offensively yet. The closest we've come is AD with 25 in game two. That's a huge step down from the Portland series.
    - The reason for this inability to score is simple: aside from solid defense, Golden State has been fouling with unbelievable frequency and stunning impunity. They foul on probably upwards of 70% of all plays, and very few of them are called.
    - Draymond Green could probably punch a ref and he'd get free throws for it, at this point.

So, that's been the story @ Golden State. But now we're at home, and we're only down 2-0. All that means is that Golden State protected home court; that's what they're supposed to do. There's nothing incredible about that. We can take the chance to go 2-1, which is a pretty solid position to be in against the defending champs. They protected home court, we need to do the same.

And although the sample size is small, there's good reason to suggest that we can take this win.

- Anthony Davis averaged 27/10.9/1.8 with 1.6 stls and 2.2 blks on the road on 58% TS, with an ORTG of 114 and a DRTG of 101. At home, however, he averaged 29.3/11.2/2.9 with 1.4 stls and 2.9blks on 64% TS, with a 123 ORTG and a 104 DRTG. That means he's better at home. That's good for us.
    - Similarly, Jrue Holiday averages 18.8ppg on 55% TS on the road, but 19.2 on 59% TS at home. Rondo has a net +/- of -3.7 on the road, but +4.6 at home.

So what does that tell us? Well, unsurprisingly, our guys tend to perform a little better at home than on the road. This fact is so unsurprising as to be almost pointless to highlight, but there is something that's slightly more valuable for us to look at. On the road, AD shot an average of 7.1 FTAs per game. At home, however, this number shoots up to 8.8 per game. While that's still too few, and this might not find itself reflected in the playoffs against a team like Golden State, the evidence does seem to show that he gets more free throws at home. Given that we would have almost certainly won game two if the free throws had been more even, that's a good sign.

ANYWAY, we can file all of that in the back of our minds and get into game mode! Pels come home to protect home court against Golden State, and with any luck the SKC will be absolutely insane! Jealous of everyone who gets to be there in person, I hope you guys all enjoy the game and I hope that AD and the crew can pull off the win! Let's go!
    Basketball.

Okafor in the starting lineup.
    Elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Okafor in the starting lineup.
    Elbows.
    Great sign. With AD being forced to defend all over the court, there have been moments where we've just had lay-up drills at the rim this series, and we've had problems rebounding at times. If this means Gentry's going to at least try slowing the game down a little bit and running a more of a grind, that's a good sign. We know we can defend, but at times we've just had no opportunities to due to pace. Obviously that's not usually the case since we play fast all the time, but we're not often playing another team that's also so happy at that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Great sign. With AD being forced to defend all over the court, there have been moments where we've just had lay-up drills at the rim this series, and we've had problems rebounding at times. If this means Gentry's going to at least try slowing the game down a little bit and running a more of a grind, that's a good sign. We know we can defend, but at times we've just had no opportunities to due to pace. Obviously that's not usually the case since we play fast all the time, but we're not often playing another team that's also so happy at that speed.
    It was just a suggestion. I doubt that happens. I just want someone to break greens jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    It was just a suggestion. I doubt that happens. I just want someone to break greens jaw.
    Aw dang, I thought you were literally saying that's what's happened. I hadn't checked so I just believed you.

I'm sad now.

Would like to win this one for the fans ... It’s going to be tough but the team showed promise last game.

We can’t adford to go on long droughts and allow them to go on crazy runs and take the crowd out
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Watching on the NBA app. Very little sums up this series more than them cutting out the Pelicans pre-game promo mid-word in order to show a Steph Curry highlight reel.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Guys. This is the turning point. We are going to eat them alive. We are not backing down. We have great players and it’s TIME to DO IT BIGGER!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaVale McGee starting at C tonight for GSW
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I hate Dramond Green, and the game hasn't started yet. Just seeing him screaming during the lead in on ESPN has me aggravated already.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    They are going to get it good!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching on the NBA app. Very little sums up this series more than them cutting out the Pelicans pre-game promo mid-word in order to show a Steph Curry highlight reel.
    You think that shows little respect?
    Here in Aus not one AD23 jersey in any of the sports stores. Pisses me off.

You think that shows little respect?
    Here in Aus not one AD23 jersey in any of the sports stores. Pisses me off.

GS with that first play reach in foul. Uncalled. Ha.

Jrue can work Curry all night if he wants

we have to settle down on O.

glad to see Miritoc push curry

Okay, let's not rush the shots like that.

WHAT?! Dreadful foul. God awful.

jeeezzzzzz calm down

Another turnover caused by a pointlessly rushed offensive possession. Just breathe guys.

Terrible start

They're 1 for 8. We should be up 10. We're just frazzled.

hate that punk

No foul? Again?!

Then Curry gets that on the other end?

Nothing ever changes.

ill trade rondo for green on ejections....

Thread Information