Pelicans Report

Thread: Gentry Deserves a Win- From the Fans

Playoffs Gentry Deserves a Win- From the Fans

All this Gentry is pure class stuff has gotten to my mind. He really is a class act and a very good coach. Regardless of his win loss record, he deserves respect from the fan base. It was bad enough the way the fans treated Monty, but to actually hear the coach asking for his name not to be announced at game is disgusting. New Orleans fans need to redeem themselves in the eyes of this coach, imo. This has been the best season we have had under Benson ownership and I challenge the fans present for game 3 in SKC to lead a GENTRY chant after the players are announced. He should have earned our respect by now, we should earn his.

Good point. Kind of sad to boo your coach. Can't blame him for removing himself from introductions.

Agreed. Gentry had really dug himself into a hole with poor coaching coming into this season. His win loss ratio was poor with us, and we'd never quite hot where we should have done. Always underperformed just a little.

This year, there's no question he's changed that. Despite having issues with him at times this year, the fact remains that in a slugfest of a conference, losing the most games to injury in the entire NBA (by far!) Including dozens of games lost from a 25/13/5 all-star, even through a dreadful schedule for much of the year, he not only got us to the playoffs, he got us to a solid seed and planned our sweep through the first round.

He's been great, fully redeemed himself, and has earned his respect.
    Basketball.

I totally agree SmontySwilliams. Gentry has performed above what others have done here in the circumstances and we couldn't have asked for a classier guy. I'm glad he's finally getting his due.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Agreed. Gentry had really dug himself into a hole with poor coaching coming into this season. His win loss ratio was poor with us, and we'd never quite hot where we should have done. Always underperformed just a little.

This year, there's no question he's changed that. Despite having issues with him at times this year, the fact remains that in a slugfest of a conference, losing the most games to injury in the entire NBA (by far!) Including dozens of games lost from a 25/13/5 all-star, even through a dreadful schedule for much of the year, he not only got us to the playoffs, he got us to a solid seed and planned our sweep through the first round.

He's been great, fully redeemed himself, and has earned his respect.
    100% this!

I won't BOO him, but I am certainly still reluctant to feel comfortable with him. His career record has been earned. Let's see how this series goes then we can talk respect.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I won't BOO him, but I am certainly still reluctant to feel comfortable with him. His career record has been earned. Let's see how this series goes then we can talk respect.
    Nah, we can still talk respect and human decency now, regardless of this series. I'm not OK with being a part of the fan base where coaches won't bring their kids to games or ask to be removed from introductions. Not the way to attract or retain talent to this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Nah, we can still talk respect and human decency now, regardless of this series. I'm not OK with being a part of the fan base where coaches won't bring their kids to games or ask to be removed from introductions. Not the way to attract or retain talent to this organization.
    Um, I meant respect for his coaching abilities. Absolutely nothing else!

Really nice to learn you believe in human decency so it can be used to retain talent though.
    Last edited by redrum; 05-02-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Um, I meant respect for his coaching abilities. Absolutely nothing else!

Really nice to learn you believe in human decency so it can be used to retain talent though.
    I'm just happy to learn you won't boo his name when it's not announced. I'll sleep better. Please keep making your point, or what you meant or whatever. Maybe he can give you a hug or a solid thumbs up to feel more comfortable with him and his coaching abilities.

He's done better, with the most injuries, than any coach this team has had in NOLA in 3 seasons.

.366 5th in Southwest, .415 4th in Southwest, .585 2nd in Southwest

Monty regressed each year of 3 seasons and Byron didn't get over .500 until season 4. Neither swept anyone.

Wake up. Coaching abilities... SMH.

Gentry did a nice job this year but, a 447 - 504 .470 winning percentage NBA career cannot be overlooked. If you think he is great, that is your right, I just don't.

..... the Pels will not beat the Warriors by out running and out gunning them, yet this seems to be Alvin's only plan.

Gentry did a nice job this year but, a 447 - 504 .470 winning percentage NBA career cannot be overlooked. If you think he is great, that is your right, I just don't.

..... the Pels will not beat the Warriors by out running and out gunning them, yet this seems to be Alvin's only plan.
    The Pels won't beat the Warriors because they don't yet have the talent to, not because of any particular game plan. Get Boogie back and fine a SF who can hit an open 3 and I bet the Warriors would be hoping against hope not to face us.

This team is uptempo. Gentry has coached them beautifully, especially the back half of the year. This is also the most talented they've been under him and those things go hand in hand. Depending on how the offseason goes next year will be very telling for him.

I would chant his name at this home game, if for no other reason than to recognize the job he's done in these playoffs. NO ONE had us sweeping the Blazers, not even the most diehard homers on the message board. That is quite a feat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, I picked us in 6 to beat the blazers. I thought we would win or lose in 6 to the warriors.

Can't believe you posted that. Its how the team is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    The Pels won't beat the Warriors because they don't yet have the talent to, not because of any particular game plan. Get Boogie back and fine a SF who can hit an open 3 and I bet the Warriors would be hoping against hope not to face us.

This team is uptempo. Gentry has coached them beautifully, especially the back half of the year. This is also the most talented they've been under him and those things go hand in hand. Depending on how the offseason goes next year will be very telling for him.

I would chant his name at this home game, if for no other reason than to recognize the job he's done in these playoffs. NO ONE had us sweeping the Blazers, not even the most diehard homers on the message board. That is quite a feat.

I was on record saying we'd sweep the Blazers.

I was also on record saying we'd beat the Warriors in 6. That might not happen.

But never underestimate my homerism.

Hah fair enough, so one guy thought we'd sweep. I thought we would beat them and was on the bandwagon but I certainly didn't think we'd dismantle them like we did. And obviously we all know what the national media thought about that series going into it.

I think all I'm saying is sweeping a higher seeded opponent in the first round of the playoffs is a major accomplishment. There are always going to be debbie downers who want more and more and never give credit, I get it. But what the Pels just did in the first round should really be appreciated and Gentry was a big part of that.

The grass is not always greener and despite the constant calls by all fan bases to change leadership every year unless their team wins a title, consistency and continuity are HIGHLY underrated in sports. Gentry is a good coach. Is he a great one? Certainly not according to his previous record, but all coaches grow and learn year to year just like players. He has talent now, more than he's ever really had. I would celebrate what he's done and look forward to seeing what he's capable of with this group.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Can't believe you posted that. Its how the team is built.
    It is not the way the team is built, it is the way the team is used.

Alvin wants to play like the Warriors but does not have the Warriors talent, no one does.
    So lets play the Warriors game, make them completely comfortable with no adjustments because that is this coaching staffs philosophy.
    Keep shooting fast break 3's without anyone under the basket or bothering to get the one player who the Warriors cant match up with a touch.
    Like I said before, if you guys think Gentry is a good coach that is your right, I just would rather a coach who has other ideas than "Go Faster! No matter what!"
    Last edited by redrum; 05-04-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post

So your saying Gentry would be a fine head coach if he had Boogie, AD, Rondo, Jrue, Paul George, Mirotic and a few more exciting bench players. Who wouldn't be fine.

I still contend however, even with that roster, you do not try to outrun the Warriors. You take them out of their game, and the Pels may be the only team that can do it.
    Just like the Pels can't run with them, they would struggle to match up with Boogie, AD, and even Mirotic inside. You surround them with shooters and play inside out. Make the Warriors work on D and press to pick up the pace the way they want, they can shoot themselves out of games too. The key to the playoffs is making the other team uncomfortable and force them to struggle to do the things they want to, especially when your dealing with a Team that has 2 championship rings and 3 straight finals appearances. You will fail trying to beat them at their game, they are too good at it.
    Last edited by redrum; 05-04-2018 at 11:57 AM.

It is not the way the team is built, it is the way the team is used.

Alvin wants to play like the Warriors but does not have the Warriors talent, no one does.
    So lets play the Warriors game, make them completely comfortable with no adjustments because that is this coaching staffs philosophy.
    Keep shooting fast break 3's without anyone under the basket or bothering to get the one player who the Warriors cant match up with a touch.
    Like I said before, if you guys think Gentry is a good coach that is your right, I just would rather a coach who has other ideas than "Go Faster! No matter what!"
    Its not a finished product, but it IS our style of play and its what we've been building towards since Gentry was first hired. Its what our players are trained to do. If we start trying to be something completely different, then you're not doing what you're best at. Then the superior GSW talent WILL take over. It would be like telling the Saints to not pass because they're playing a great secondary. They're still going to pass, regardless. Its what they do.

So your saying Gentry would be a fine head coach if he had Boogie, AD, Rondo, Jrue, Paul George, Mirotic and a few more exciting bench players. Who wouldn't be fine.

I still contend however, even with that roster, you do not try to outrun the Warriors. You take them out of their game, and the Pels may be the only team that can do it.
    Just like the Pels can't run with them, they would struggle to match up with Boogie, AD, and even Mirotic inside. You surround them with shooters and play inside out. Make the Warriors work on D and press to pick up the pace the way they want, they can shoot themselves out of games too. The key to the playoffs is making the other team uncomfortable and force them to struggle to do the things they want to, especially when your dealing with a Team that has 2 championship rings and 3 straight finals appearances. You will fail trying to beat them at their game, they are too good at it.
    And just so you know, I don't disagree with this. BUT, we don't have Boogie available. If we did, I would force the Warriors to play our game.

Never did I say he was great... so thanks. Start your own thread if you want to talk about his coaching style and whether it is a good match-up for the Warriors, or his career percentage with mostly dumpster fire teams. His Pels percentage, the team he is with NOW, exceeds his predecessors over the same time while also finishing higher in the division aaand with the only playoff sweep of them all. Think. Facts.

My post is about the fans being sub par to an above average New Orleans coach. If you can boo the man for sucking, cheer his name for not sucking. Be better fans. That's all. Announce his freaking name already.

From a human being standpoint, it must make Alvin feel good inside that he's been able to get his team to buy-in. And personally, I see our style of play a bit differently...fast-pace for sure, but driving to the hoop has been our main force throughout these playoffs. The 3s open things up, but our play in the paint has been great. Thats why Boogie, Jrue, AD and Rondo would have been an unstoppable force these playoffs. But what do I know?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    From a human being standpoint, it must make Alvin feel good inside that he's been able to get his team to buy-in. And personally, I see our style of play a bit differently...fast-pace for sure, but driving to the hoop has been our main force throughout these playoffs. The 3s open things up, but our play in the paint has been great. Thats why Boogie, Jrue, AD and Rondo would have been an unstoppable force these playoffs. But what do I know?
    Boogie, Jrue, AD, Rondo, and Mirotic. Next year man. We all burn chicken feathers over the summer for an injury free run at the ship next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Never did I say he was great... so thanks. Start your own thread if you want to talk about his coaching style and whether it is a good match-up for the Warriors, or his career percentage with mostly dumpster fire teams. His Pels percentage, the team he is with NOW, exceeds his predecessors over the same time while also finishing higher in the division aaand with the only playoff sweep of them all. Think. Facts.

My post is about the fans being sub par to an above average New Orleans coach. If you can boo the man for sucking, cheer his name for not sucking. Be better fans. That's all. Announce his freaking name already.
    My bad, I thought this site existed to talk about basketball?
    OK, got it now,
    YAY Gentry ! We must be better fans! Announce his name !

Thread Information