Pelicans Report

Thread: Opinions?

Pelicans Opinions?

Hello everyone, just wanted to gauge your opinions about DMC. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot. I just wonder something...the Pels have been playing really good ball while he's been out. Do you think the Pels should resign him or try a sign a trade and get additional assets to make a more balanced roster?

I am torn because I could see the argument for both ideals but I value all of your opinions and I was curious as to what you all think.
    Last edited by Butters; 04-29-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Pels have re-sign him. This team will never beat elite teams playing uptempo. Warriors/Rockets are simply better at the pace and space game. The best way to beat them is to control the tempo. Boogie helps do that.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

They need to sign him. You don’t turn your back on the best center in the league, especially if he wants to be here. Let’s not forget that the game he got injured in was a win over Houston. A win where it was Cuz that was carrying this team to victory. Also we were riding a solid winning streak at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a non issue, you sign him on a 4 plus 1 with a base of 2 mil more then JRUE with incentives which allows him to earn not max but considerably more then anyone else can offer. This move accomplishes.several objectives. First, shows loyalty to AD and keeps DMC here past the time AD gets his next offer making it most likely AD doesn't think of moving on. Jrue, AD and Cuz all expiring the same year would not be wise as they could move collectively. That's why I don't like the 2 + 1 many here think is the way to go. Also, DMC would have to agree to sign and trade. Why would he do that when he can go where he wants now on a 1 year deal than play the market again next yr. He will make his money somewhere. Pel's can't afford to lose a talent like him because it is impossible to replace and as I said AD might move. I posted what I think we should offer in another thread. Here it is again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMC.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	6330

I lean heavily towards resigning him personally but it also really all comes down to things we just can't know right now. And if they come to pass should adjust people's feeling in either direction.

Like how is his rehab progressing? What do the doctors think? How receptive or far away to our contract position is Cousins? How will he handle what will likely be tougher negotiations than he has ever been involved in? Can his presence(or has his presence) help garner interest from another star and would he be willing to play ball to get them here? Does some other star want to come here regardless, or would be willing to, and Cousins may be an impediment(not sure how this could even happen, just saying)?

I think last night showed though that this team is not just a 3 and D wing player and some bench depth away from title contender like was speculated coming off the high of the Portland series. Cousins wouldn't have covered up our problems with GS's length on the wings with Durant, or their superior versatility/mobility, but it would of forced them to do things differently. Helped eliminate some of the issues that really plagued us, give us another player they dont have an answer for and take pressure off AD....Though it might also open up the wounds further on other issues like turnovers and transition defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    This is a non issue, you sign him on a 4 plus 1 with a base of 2 mil more then JRUE with incentives which allows him to earn not max but considerably more then anyone else can offer.
    Anyone else can offer him the max. The only thing that having his Bird's Rights allows us to do is give him higher per year raises, an extra year, and the ability to go over the cap to sign him.

People are grossly underestimating what Cousins will get offered on the open market if they think we won't have to give him the max to resign. We will offer him the max. The question is just how many years he wants.

If anyone knows, what teams: 1.) Have the money to offer Cousins a max contract. 2.) Have a realistic desire to sign him to a max contract(I.E. not every team with max cap room is in a place where they are looking to sign a Cousins type player due to their time schedule or organizational priorities). 3.) Teams Cousins would realistically be willing to walk away from a less-than-max contract from the Pels to sign elsewhere?

I think that is a piece of info that would help enlighten our thinking on what the Cousins offseason/FA will look like. Lowe did some minor speculation but I would love to see a fuller breakdown to have a fuller discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Anyone else can offer him the max. The only thing that having his Bird's Rights allows us to do is give him higher per year raises, an extra year, and the ability to go over the cap to sign him.

People are grossly underestimating what Cousins will get offered on the open market if they think we won't have to give him the max to resign. We will offer him the max. The question is just how many years he wants.
    I'm aware, that's why I structured the proposal like Jrue's with incentives, like games played, ppg, rpg, and other benchmarks which are easily reached(based on his history),yet not automatically max deal. PLUS 5th year making our total package before incentives worth as much as anyone else can offer. Assuming max to be 30% of 100,000,000 dollars annually. Max package others can offer is 120 mil. Our offer being 106.5 mil plus possible 5 mil annual incentives, which equals 126.5 mil over 4 yrs plus 27.5 mil in yr 5 and likewise 5 mil incentive for a total possible package of near 160 mil.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 04-29-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo

Resign ma boi Boogie
    Basketball.

I'm aware, that's why I structured the proposal like Jrue's with incentives, like games played, ppg, rpg, and other benchmarks which are easily reached(based on his history),yet not automatically max deal. PLUS 5th year making our total package before incentives worth as much as anyone else can offer. Assuming max to be 30% of 100,000,000 dollars annually. Max package others can offer is 120 mil. Our offer being 106.5 mil plus possible 5 mil annual incentives, which equals 126.5 mil over 4 yrs plus 27.5 mil in yr 5 and likewise 5 mil incentive for a total possible package of near 160 mil.
    And what if he doesn't want to sign a 5 year deal laced with incentives? You are basically saying offer him 6.5m more TOTAL over 4 years but with up to 20m he could lose due to incentives, when another team will just say "here take my 120m." I mean, maybe he would do the team a solid and sign something like that but I wouldn't when all you're offering me is 1.5m extra a year but saying I could lose 5m a year. All the guaranteed money over 5 years is only 134m vs other teams offering 120m/4yr.

I mean maybe so but my biggest concern is making him mad. We have no leverage to replace him and if he walks because we try getting cute with the numbers then we are stuck. The best solution would be just his full max but over the length of what's left of AD's contract. Sell him on the fact that he will get more money from us over the next 3 years then he will be a free agent at the same time as AD so they can resign together or if it doesn't work he can walk when he is eligible for the 10 yr vet max.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    And what if he doesn't want to sign a 5 year deal laced with incentives? You are basically saying offer him 6.5m more TOTAL over 4 years but with up to 20m he could lose due to incentives, when another team will just say "here take my 120m." I mean, maybe he would do the team a solid and sign something like that but I wouldn't when all you're offering me is 1.5m extra a year but saying I could lose 5m a year. All the guaranteed money over 5 years is only 134m vs other teams offering 120m/4yr.

I mean maybe so but my biggest concern is making him mad. We have no leverage to replace him and if he walks because we try getting cute with the numbers then we are stuck. The best solution would be just his full max but over the length of what's left of AD's contract. Sell him on the fact that he will get more money from us over the next 3 years then he will be a free agent at the same time as AD so they can resign together or if it doesn't work he can walk when he is eligible for the 10 yr vet max.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how offering him nearly 40 mil more than others can will make him mad. I thought I was clear that the benchmarks/incentives were based on his own personal performance measurements. No matter what you do in life, you should expect to meet/ for that matter exceed certain measurements. We aren't saying "Boogie you have to double your output to reach incentives". Quite the opposite in fact, eg: say he averaged 10 rpg over last 5 yrs. Even though he averaged 12 per this season. A BENCHMARK might be 10 for season, 11 for 50 games or 12 for 30 games in consecutive order. THAT might be worth 2 mil. The same for TOs, which is his biggest negative, if he averaged 4 per for last 5 yrs than 4 for season, 3 for 50 games 2 for 30 games equals another 2 mil etc.

One other thing, the Pels would be fools to give any deal that has the same decision timeline as AD. Either the yr before or the yr after AD has the option. NO WAY I give them the chance to leave together. The only thing I can't stand about Jrue's deal is he can leave with AD also.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 04-29-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added words

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Give him what he wants. It’s a risk but if he comes back from this injury I think he’s our best chance and getting to the finals. We need to add cousins and a legit starting SF. Keep Niko, resign Rondo. Make a move to get the SF we need.

Can we get Paul George? Is it mathematically possible? To sign him and boogie? If we do well against gsw and come close to WCF I think we will attract free agents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how offering him nearly 40 mil more than others can will make him mad. I thought I was clear that the benchmarks/incentives were based on his own personal performance measurements. No matter what you do in life, you should expect to meet/ for that matter exceed certain measurements. We aren't saying "Boogie you have to double your output to reach incentives". Quite the opposite in fact, eg: say he averaged 10 rpg over last 5 yrs. Even though he averaged 12 per this season. A BENCHMARK might be 10 for season, 11 for 50 games or 12 for 30 games in consecutive order. THAT might be worth 2 mil. The same for TOs, which is his biggest negative, if he averaged 4 per for last 5 yrs than 4 for season, 3 for 50 games 2 for 30 games equals another 2 mil etc.
    My point was more why play games with the dude? Other teams aren't going to do 5m/yr worth of incentives. They're going to throw the full max they possibly can at him. Cousins is a different level of talent than Jrue. He was legit in the MVP conversation before going down. If the incentives are so easily reachable then why have them at all? From a cap standpoint all likely incentives still count against the cap anyway so we have no benefit there.

The only thing incentives with Cousins says is, "We don't trust you will return to your former self so we are putting these failsafes in." maybe Cousins won't mind, maybe he will do a solid for us. I understand your standpoint of wanting a deal that's better for the team though. I just wonder how Cousins would feel about it.

The point is why would he sign that when a bunch of other teams would offer him that money without the benchmarks? I mean that is not a common contract structure in the NBA, so you are acting like its totally reasonable to think he'd be pleased with signing an incentive laden contract (no matter how "attainable" those incentives are in your mind) when no one else is being asked to do so. If I was him I'd be insulted.

The whole "No matter what you do in life, you should expect to meet/ for that matter exceed certain measurements" thing is silly. Its playing games with him when its not necessary. What has he done to suggest he won't come back and try hard to play at the level he's always played at? If you are that concerned with his character that you think he has to be monetarily incentivized to meet what you call easy benchmarks then he's not someone we should sign.

Boogie is a prime time talent. This roster has for years suffered from being unable to collect enough elite talent to be truly competitive. We just saw the other night that all the hustle in the world can't overcome elite talent in the NBA. We have a very good team right now, good character, good hustle. But it doesn't have championship caliber elite talent yet. You add Boogie to AD, Jrue, Rondo, thats awfully close to championship caliber elite talent. I just don't see an avenue to competing that doesn't involve signing Cousins, unless there is some insane sign-and-trade that crops up that no one could predict. If that happens and we can add elite talent, so be it. I just doubt thats really going to occur.
    Last edited by Saints#34; 04-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Cousins is a great talent but Gentry failed to incorporate him successfully into the rest of our team.

I believe we should sign and trade him for a player who better fits our roster and scheme. I would look at the Wizards as an appropriate fit. I suggest DMC and a future first in exchange for Otto Porter and Jodie Meeks.

Porter is a great defender and one of the league's best defensive small forwards. He would complement AD and Jrue much better than Cousins.

Not a big fan of doing what others do because its the norm. He makes over 30 percent more with my offer. If he doesn't want that give him 30 mil per 1 or 2 yr extension then higher 10 yr service similar proposal. He is returning from a major injury. I say give him a max but with some limitations. Others have deals based on performance in the NBA. Whatever the Pels do with their money is their business. People who accept the norm rarely do anything more then that. They want to reach for more. So you guys offer 120 mil and I offer 160 mil. From what I've read and seen by his actions. He would rather go for the gold. So agree to disagree. But again no deal that ends with AD's.

Thread Information