Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Golden State wins Sunday when does our series start?

By losing this game GSW does not get extra days to start 2nd round series

Finished in 4 or in 5 - series start on Saturday.
    Finished in six - probably on Sunday.

For Warriors it would be dumb to risk health of their players (injuries) and fatigue.
    They have just lost TWO days of rest. With best players playing 40+ minutes in a lost game.

They are confident that they can manage without Steph.

Pels will get more time to rest/practice.
    Warriors needs only rest...

The problem I see for the Pelicans is who do they match up against with Iggy and Durant?

I'm thinking they will need to trap Iggy if he has the ball.

Iggy will be a big problem to match

I see only Jrue as a player capable of it.
    So what to do with Klay then?

also -can Solo guard KD at least some?

so many problems.
    But it is hard not to have problems with best team in the league.

Also Gentry knows them. Erman and Finch are smart as well. Not to mention Rondo.

also AD remembers sweep in 2015. He will be ultra motivated...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post

so many problems.

Also Gentry knows them. Erman and Finch are smart as well. Not to mention Rondo.

Honestly I would go with the same strategy that we did for Aminu in our series. Let him shoot. Iggy is .282 (33-117) shooting from three in the regular season. I'm not aware on how he's doing in the Spurs series, but I'm fine with Solo or Moore on him tbh.

I'm not all that good with who's capable of guarding whom, so this may be a stupid question. What about playing AD on KD for part of the game, and have Nico and Okafor at the 4 and 5? AD's got the height where KD can't just shoot over him, and the quickness to stay with him on a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post

so many problems.

Iggy has really falen apart the last two years. He is shell of himself offensively and defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I'm not all that good with who's capable of guarding whom, so this may be a stupid question. What about playing AD on KD for part of the game, and have Nico and Okafor at the 4 and 5? AD's got the height where KD can't just shoot over him, and the quickness to stay with him on a drive.
    That would work till Curry comes back. We do need to find a suitable small ball lineup. Hell, AD and Mir switching and trapping him is probably our best solution to shutting down KD. Leave Jrue on Thompson.

This is only a problem when Curry comes back when we will have to completely change our coverage to shut him down. Hopefully, he plays like he usually do from returning injuries. Poor and sluggish.
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-23-2018 at 10:52 AM.

On 1/17/18 Nico had primary defense on KD. KD scored 19, 0 for 5 from 3. NICO scored 24, 4 for 7 from 3. we also have SOLO, AD and even Jrue gave him trouble when we beat them at season's end

Basketball Guru
    IMO we need to control klay because he was the one in the first 3 games that got hot in the second half that help them beat us.......IMO keeping klay from making 3s is our key to beating them and with our offense showing up........also not letting McGee have some weird good game scoring, getting key rebounds and controlling the paint...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    IMO we need to control klay because he was the one in the first 3 games that got hot in the second half that help them beat us.......IMO keeping klay from making 3s is our key to beating them and with our offense showing up........also not letting McGee have some weird good game scoring, getting key rebounds and controlling the paint...
    This. All those games were close and klay got hot

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Klay is shooting 65% from 3 right now. We need to put Jrue on him and put AD on Durant. Let depending on how GSW runs their offense I would say glue AD or Rondo on Durant... let Niko deal with Draymond.

I don’t think we will play the warriors the same way we did Portland. We can’t leave guys like iggy open because even if his 3 point shooting has been poor he is still a real threat in being able to score if you give him room. If the warriors have high motion offense we need to be very physical. I would focus on Durant and break him. Tear his confidence apart and steal his soul. He will get destroyed by us. Rondo is smarter than the entire GSW team. We are smarter and can play as fast as them. We have to use our aggression on defense all 4 quarters. Limit Durant and Klay and they are in trouble. WE are the new ALPHA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Klay is shooting 65% from 3 right now. We need to put Jrue on him and put AD on Durant. Let depending on how GSW runs their offense I would say glue AD or Rondo on Durant... let Niko deal with Draymond.

I don’t think we will play the warriors the same way we did Portland. We can’t leave guys like iggy open because even if his 3 point shooting has been poor he is still a real threat in being able to score if you give him room. If the warriors have high motion offense we need to be very physical. I would focus on Durant and break him. Tear his confidence apart and steal his soul. He will get destroyed by us. Rondo is smarter than the entire GSW team. We are smarter and can play as fast as them. We have to use our aggression on defense all 4 quarters. Limit Durant and Klay and they are in trouble. WE are the new ALPHA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I actually really like that idea.

That said, not looking forward to the bandwagon GS fans infiltrating our home.

I kind of am. The Pelicans need more local support and national recognition. Sad to say. But bring them on.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

AD can’t guard KD for an entire game.... I’m sorry but KD is gonna wear AD down.... in spurts yeah of course but the whole game? Nah fam
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    AD can’t guard KD for an entire game.... I’m sorry but KD is gonna wear AD down.... in spurts yeah of course but the whole game? Nah fam
    I disagree, I have to say.

Obviously nobody can guard a guy like KD for 48 minutes or 43 minutes or however long he's going to be on the court. Nobody could, in a one on one situation, defend KD for a whole game. But NBA games aren't one on one; when we say who's going to be the defender, we don't mean which individual has the sole task of defending that guy every possession, we mean who's goingto be the primary defender on the big possessions and for maybe 50% of the game.

In that situation, yes AD is more than capable of being the primary defender on KD. Not the only guy, not all game, not every single trip down the floor, but the primary defender, especially with traps and double teams? Definitely. AD has that in him.
    Basketball.

Yea I definitely agree.. KD is going to be a problem for us. Not that Curry and Klay are slouches but KD with his length is a mismatch against our starting lineup. Going to be interesting to see if we start Moore or go with Miller/Hill to get some length on the floor.. using AD to match up with KD as the primary defender takes away from what AD does best. We need AD moving and trapping KD not stuck on him like glue. I think Niko can do a solid job on KD while we try to funnel him into AD. The Warriors are a different beast when it comes to trapping like we did the Blazers. These guys move he ball as well as any team in NBA history and have a few guys that happen to be amongst the best shooters in NBA history. Really excited to see what our game plan is and how it works. AD really wants to beat these guys after being previously swept. Having Gentry who helped build their offense is a big advantage..
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-23-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    On 1/17/18 Nico had primary defense on KD. KD scored 19, 0 for 5 from 3. NICO scored 24, 4 for 7 from 3. we also have SOLO, AD and even Jrue gave him trouble when we beat them at season's end
    Exactly what I'm thinking.. we will play them similar to the way we did in the regular season. I thought Niko did a great job on the perimeter and we gave him help in the paint. He has the length and quickness to atleast stay with him. Let AD do what he does best and crowd KD making him move the ball or take tough contested shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I disagree, I have to say.

Obviously nobody can guard a guy like KD for 48 minutes or 43 minutes or however long he's going to be on the court. Nobody could, in a one on one situation, defend KD for a whole game. But NBA games aren't one on one; when we say who's going to be the defender, we don't mean which individual has the sole task of defending that guy every possession, we mean who's goingto be the primary defender on the big possessions and for maybe 50% of the game.

In that situation, yes AD is more than capable of being the primary defender on KD. Not the only guy, not all game, not every single trip down the floor, but the primary defender, especially with traps and double teams? Definitely. AD has that in him.
    So when you have have AD guarding KD who is our rim protector? When KD is on the perimeter or getting the rebounds??? Nico???

So when you have have AD guarding KD who is our rim protector? When KD is on the perimeter or getting the rebounds??? Nico???
    You make it sound like I said to just park AD on KD on an island and leave it there.

KD has taken 60% of his shots from 2pt range so far this playoffs, and that's actually down from his usual playoff averages; last season, he took 68% of his shots from 2pt range in the post-season, including 27% of his shots from inside 3 feet of the basket. If Curry comes back, I don't think it's silly to think that there's a chance he'll go back to being a much more inside scorer; right now he seems to be chucking from 3 particularly hard (presumably to try and fill the Curry role a little bit), but when Curry comes back that should change.

Obviously I want AD to be our rim protector, and to focus on rebounding, but we do have a team filled with good rebounding guards, and Mirotic who is averaging 11rpg over our last 10 games. AD is our best defender, opponents shoot way worse against him from all over the floor, but he has his most value inside of about 10 feet; so I don't think it's unfair to say that when they have their best player inside of about 10 feet, maybe we should try AD on him sometimes. Sometimes with doubles, sometimes on switches, sometimes an attempt at a trap, but AD should be involved inside of about 10 feet.

That said, we have a very mobile defense (especially so far in the playoffs) so I could easily see him running out to guard guys before retreating again at times, the way he did against Portland. Wouldn't want to try and guard them how we guarded Portland all series long, but in certain situations it could work.

Either way, I'm just spitballing here; I trust Erman based on last series to come up with something better than what I come up with after thirty seconds of brief thinkking.

Honest question from someone who doesn't know all that much about basketball. We obviously had great coaching and a great game plan against Portland. Do yall think we can out coach the Warriors like we did the trailblazers? What's your confidence level?

Quote Originally Posted by ehusson80 View Post
    Honest question from someone who doesn't know all that much about basketball. We obviously had great coaching and a great game plan against Portland. Do yall think we can out coach the Warriors like we did the trailblazers? What's your confidence level?
    I think it depends.

I have full confidence that we can do it, but whether or not we will depends on a few factors. Firstly, do we plan two game plans (one for Warriors as is, and one for Warriors + Curry) or do we plan for just a more generalised version of their offense? If we attempt to plan two separate game plans, then that cuts the time we have to prepare possibly in half (although the Portland game plan was put together pretty quickly so that might not matter).

Another factor is, to what extent are we familiar with their plays? Portland, for all they were a good regular season team, was not a particularly complicated team: they didn't move the ball much, they didn't engage in complex sequences with multiple screens and cuts, they were a team based on isolation and single pass dishing. That's a pretty easy style to analyse. Golden State don't do that; they screen a lot (not as much as they used to when Bogut was there, but still a lot), and they are as good at moving the ball as anyone. That's more difficult to plan, but then you have to consider that Gentry is one of the architects of Golden State's offense. Will his familiarity with their system neutralise its complexity? I don't know.

The third factor is who we pick to eliminate. It was pretty obvious against Portland that we had to shut off Lillard and we had to do our best to limit McCollum, and we did that. Golden State has three main offensive threats, instead of two. So do we eliminate Durant completely, and limit Curry, leaving Klay as our third priority? Or do we recognise that Klay was the X factor when they beat us during the regular season and put the pressure on him and Curry? Or do we assume that Curry coming back from the injury will play like he usually does after injury (badly), and isolate KD and Klay? Again, it's hard to tell.

That's a lot of factors to consider, but I think our team can put it together. Erman has shown through these playoffs, the end of the season, and last season, that he's fully capable of constructing a robust and complex defense, and Gentry/Finch have both shown their mettle as offensive planners. Add to that the impact Rondo has on our coaching dynamic, and we have the potential to outcoach anyone shy of San Antonio or Boston: and we won't be playing either of those teams at all. Yes, I consider Steve Kerr incredibly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by ehusson80 View Post
    IMO no.. I don't see either side getting out coached but I do think we can outplay them and want it more. If we play with the same effort and execution as we did against the Blazers then I'm confident against anybody. I think without Curry we have a good shot to give them a series and even so with Curry. The main difference between the Warriors and Blazers is ball movement. The Warriors move the ball as well as any team in NBA history. They present some problems and mismatches for us but we present some problems and mismatches for them as well. Going to be a fun series to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    IMO no.. I don't see either side getting out coached but I do think we can outplay them and want it more. If we play with the same effort and execution as we did against the Blazers then I'm confident against anybody. I think without Curry we have a good shot to give them a series and even so with Curry. The main difference between the Warriors and Blazers is ball movement. The Warriors move the ball as well as any team in NBA history. They present some problems and mismatches for us but we present some problems and mismatches for them as well. Going to be a fun series to watch!
    I hope that we can get some wins in without Curry. So far without Curry, Durant goes ISO on 18% of his possessions, but only scores 1PPP (58th percentile) on those ISOs. Those lame-duck possessions are something I really hope we'll get to take advantage of, but which I'm also sure will shrink when Curry comes back.

People try to simplify basketball all the time when the game doesn't work that way. Especially today. It's not about the Pelicans having one guy to match up with Durant or Klay. It's about having the right defensive scheme. No matter who starts off guarding them they run through 2/3 screens. So even if they end up with an iso, it won't be against the initial one that guarded them.

The main thing is having length. They've got to avoid Durant ending a possession 1 on 1 against Rondo or Moore and that's exactly who they'll try to get Klay and Durant on before they do anything.

I'm so hype. Last time we played them, AD was a young kid, Jrue was injured and on minutes restriction, Poindexter was out completely, etc. This time, Jrue is healthy and on fire, we have Mirotic and Rondo starting, and we have legit players like Clark off the bench. We play like we played in Portland, no chance this goes less than 6.

Thread Information