Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Assuming we face GSW soon

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Assuming we face GSW soon

We have to win one more game to move on and I think we will. So, assuming this happens it’s ok to start looking at pels vs gsw.

What’s your game plan to beat the warriors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

like rondo said: same engine, next gear

If both teams finish the sweep. Curry might miss 1 or 2 games. We need to keep the Warriors off balance and don't play into their tempo if they start to get hot. Let Rondo control the tempo. I know he'll mastermind when to go fast or to stagger to keep Warriors out of rhythm. Guarding KD is kind of a pick your poison scenario. Probably end up doubling him with a combination of the two of Mir/Jrue/Moore/Hill. So, we probably will do a lot of switching and trapping. I still want Holiday on Thompson who I feel is way more dangerous than KD when it comes to getting hot in my opinion. Green gonna match up on Davis or Mir. I feel AD gonna run circles around him this year. Either way, our front court should give them a lot of issues. If zaza isn't playing dirty and not falling on our players knees and ankles. This should be a close series if we simply show up.

Can't afford an off shooting night. Keep up the excellent passing and dominant in the paint and let's try to go blow for blow with the Warriors. Perimeter defense got me worried, tho. Even then... They could still be making killer contested 3s if they really hot.

Wish we could have Boogie for this series.

Use the same game plan you used to beat them on April 7. GS went all out to win that game but Pels still won.

Man. The way the Hiv....errrrr....SKC was last night, they won't beat us at home. Steal a game while Curry is out and we are golden. Wait.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Yeah I think we have a shot but you have to stay level and not get frustrated against GS. No matter what you do they can drain some heartbreaking 3s that sap the energy out of teams. You have to ride it out and keep playing your game and not press to try and match.

I think oddly as fast as we are playing against Portland there are going to be times when we need to consciously slow it down against GS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just call it the blender... we making juice of them boys tomorrow

Basketball Guru
    Kd will get his so whatever about that....Hope klay don't get hot in every game...hope cook or some other role playing don't go crazy from the 3pt line......hope McGee don't have a breakout game on the boards and in the paint scoring or blocking shots or shutting down ad lobs ....we win the series if the extra stuff don't happen......

[QUOTE=pelicanchamp;1458740]
    What’s your game plan to beat the warriors?
    /QUOTE]

AD in God Mode. It is nice that Jrue and Mirotic are picking up a lot of the workload in this series so he can be fresh to go off for 30 plus each night in the next series.

Pels can match up with any team including GS with Curry. We now know we can win there, just did couple weeks ago. NO ONE IN THE PLAYOFFS at this time are looking forward to playing us. We are peaking at the perfect time.

They are turn over prone and if we play D like last night watch out

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    like rondo said: same engine, next gear
    Basically this.

This season AD averaged 33/14/3.7/1.6/2.3 against the Warriors, in the 3 games he played against them. He gives you that, on top of what we've been getting from Jrue all through these playoffs so far, alongside Niko's 20/9 he's given us these playoffs + playoff Rondo? That's Pels in 5.

Now, assuming that they have that one game where literally everything goes in their favour, then maybe it's Pels in 6, especially if Curry comes back and somehow doesn't miss a beat. But I really think he we have a strong chance to beat them just off the back of what we're doing now.

Specifically, defending Durant will be a committee job. I'd like to see Rondo on him, but I could see everything from Rondo, Jrue, Jrue+Solo, Jrue+Moore, and even AD at times matched up against him. Unless one guy just gets totally under his skin, it will probably be a case of throwing different looks at him all game.

Regardless of if Curry is back, Jrue's gonna be huge in this series. Curry can't defend him, and Cooke definitely can't; he should be able to basically waltz up to the rim whenever he wants and they don't really have a rim protector outside of Draymond who will be desperately trying to stop AD eating their entire team alive.

Basically: just keep doing what we're doing, look to exploit our mismatches, and throw everything including the kitchen sink at their stars.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If Curry plays you have to hope he's less than 80%. I don't know how you defend them if THEY show up and Curry is Curry. Plus, unlike Portland, they're also really good on the defensive end when they want to be.

Is there another gear for AD, Mirotic, and Jrue? Can Rondo stay on the court or will he get targeted on the defensive end? Who can Rondo guard in their starting unit? I think to have a chance to pull the upset, we have to steal every game that Curry misses.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If Curry plays you have to hope he's less than 80%. I don't know how you defend them if THEY show up and Curry is Curry. Plus, unlike Portland, they're also really good on the defensive end when they want to be.

Is there another gear for AD, Mirotic, and Jrue? Can Rondo stay on the court or will he get targeted on the defensive end? Who can Rondo guard in their starting unit? I think to have a chance to pull the upset, we have to steal every game that Curry misses.
    AD definitely has another gear. He hasn't exploded yet, not once. Even the 35 point opener was minor leagues for him, who had 21 40+or games this season.

Who can Rondo guard? His defense has been pretty solid, you could hide him on Green if you wanted but I'd be willing to put him on other guys situationally as well.

The thing is, if we beat them, it's not really an upset. I mean, it is in the eyes of the media and those who measure off reputation, but Golden State just haven't had a great year by their standards. Of course, 2 seed in the West is amazing by anyone else's standards, but they've always seemed a step slower, a touch more vulnerable, a little bit less potent. We came within 2 minutes of beating them right to start the season, and we did best them to end it. They have nothing we can't handle if we do things the way we know we can.

Also KD and Livingston both sprained their ankles last night... Blood in the water to really push the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Also KD and Livingston both sprained their ankles last night... Blood in the water to really push the pace.
    What would be great is if the spurs can actually win one so those can't rest a week

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    What would be great is if the spurs can actually win one so those can't rest a week

Likewise, very important we sweep so that they don't get rest advantage on us

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Basically this.

This season AD averaged 33/14/3.7/1.6/2.3 against the Warriors, in the 3 games he played against them. He gives you that, on top of what we've been getting from Jrue all through these playoffs so far, alongside Niko's 20/9 he's given us these playoffs + playoff Rondo? That's Pels in 5.

Now, assuming that they have that one game where literally everything goes in their favour, then maybe it's Pels in 6, especially if Curry comes back and somehow doesn't miss a beat. But I really think he we have a strong chance to beat them just off the back of what we're doing now.

Specifically, defending Durant will be a committee job. I'd like to see Rondo on him, but I could see everything from Rondo, Jrue, Jrue+Solo, Jrue+Moore, and even AD at times matched up against him. Unless one guy just gets totally under his skin, it will probably be a case of throwing different looks at him all game.

Regardless of if Curry is back, Jrue's gonna be huge in this series. Curry can't defend him, and Cooke definitely can't; he should be able to basically waltz up to the rim whenever he wants and they don't really have a rim protector outside of Draymond who will be desperately trying to stop AD eating their entire team alive.

Basically: just keep doing what we're doing, look to exploit our mismatches, and throw everything including the kitchen sink at their stars.
    They'd put Klay on Jrue, maybe Iggy...Curry/Cook on Rondo. Durant is a fabulous rim protector, but is he chasing Niko around the perimeter? Guessing the AD/Mirotic combo renders Javale unplayable?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    They'd put Klay on Jrue, maybe Iggy...Curry/Cook on Rondo. Durant is a fabulous rim protector, but is he chasing Niko around the perimeter? Guessing the AD/Mirotic combo renders Javale unplayable?
    I think Javale is completely unplayable against a team that has AD on it. And that's been shown through the regular season, Javale gets very little productive play against us; the most minutes he's played in a game against us this season is 11. He's had more minutes so far these playoffs, but that's primarily because the Spurs play very traditional bigs; even Gasol, who's stretched out to the 3pt line in the last few years prefers to operate in the paint, especially as something of a rim protector for them.

I'd like to challenge the idea that Durant is a 'fabulous rim protector'. He's okay. He averages 1.8bpg this season; that's a career high for him, and it fell off as the season went - he's put up 2 blocks total in the last 7 games.

Now, I'm aware that blocks aren't the only measure of rim protection, but if you look at his individual defense on NBA.com, you find similar signs. Opponents only shoot 0.3% worse against him within 6 feet of the basket than they do against the average player. That's positive rim protection, sure, it's a decrease in their averages, but it's pretty far-fetched to call it fabulous.

I think Javale is completely unplayable against a team that has AD on it. And that's been shown through the regular season, Javale gets very little productive play against us; the most minutes he's played in a game against us this season is 11. He's had more minutes so far these playoffs, but that's primarily because the Spurs play very traditional bigs; even Gasol, who's stretched out to the 3pt line in the last few years prefers to operate in the paint, especially as something of a rim protector for them.

I'd like to challenge the idea that Durant is a 'fabulous rim protector'. He's okay. He averages 1.8bpg this season; that's a career high for him, and it fell off as the season went - he's put up 2 blocks total in the last 7 games.

Now, I'm aware that blocks aren't the only measure of rim protection, but if you look at his individual defense on NBA.com, you find similar signs. Opponents only shoot 0.3% worse against him within 6 feet of the basket than they do against the average player. That's positive rim protection, sure, it's a decrease in their averages, but it's pretty far-fetched to call it fabulous.
    GS cannot allow KD to be their rim protector. Making him bang Nico, AD, and stopping Jrue at the hole would put him in foul trouble and his offense is too important to them

I think dw gets extended mins against us

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    GS cannot allow KD to be their rim protector. Making him bang Nico, AD, and stopping Jrue at the hole would put him in foul trouble and his offense is too important to them
    Exactly, which is why I said they don't really have a rim protector. KD is a decent one, but he can't do that job if he wants to also guard Mirotic/AD in the mid-long range (which would be a terrible idea by the way, we all know how money AD's midrange jumper is and opponents shoot 7% better from 2 point range in general against KD than their averages).

Which means it's either Draymond, Zaza, or Javale. We already know Javale can't do it, he barely got time against us in the regular season, it's unlikely he's going to suddenly learn how to guard AD in the next few weeks. So it's either Draymond or Zaza; Draymond's too short, AD always torches him, and Zaza shouldn't even be in the NBA.

So as far as Golden State is concerned, AD is unguardable. Which means they'll have to just let him get off and hope to stop other sources. The problem for them is that our other sources are playing really well, and that they don't really have anyone to guard them either. KD can't guard Jrue in the midrange, and Draymond isn't fast enough to guard him off the dribble. Curry can't guard anyone, if he's even back. So you dedicate Klay to Jrue? Okay, then Rondo is going to abuse Curry/Cooke in the pick and roll with AD, or just throw lobs forever. Put Curry on Jrue to let him get off and make Klay guard Rondo to stop that PnR action? Fine, now Jrue can waltz to the rim at will.

We have a lot of options to exploit here.

Exactly, which is why I said they don't really have a rim protector. KD is a decent one, but he can't do that job if he wants to also guard Mirotic/AD in the mid-long range (which would be a terrible idea by the way, we all know how money AD's midrange jumper is and opponents shoot 7% better from 2 point range in general against KD than their averages).

Which means it's either Draymond, Zaza, or Javale. We already know Javale can't do it, he barely got time against us in the regular season, it's unlikely he's going to suddenly learn how to guard AD in the next few weeks. So it's either Draymond or Zaza; Draymond's too short, AD always torches him, and Zaza shouldn't even be in the NBA.

So as far as Golden State is concerned, AD is unguardable. Which means they'll have to just let him get off and hope to stop other sources. The problem for them is that our other sources are playing really well, and that they don't really have anyone to guard them either. KD can't guard Jrue in the midrange, and Draymond isn't fast enough to guard him off the dribble. Curry can't guard anyone, if he's even back. So you dedicate Klay to Jrue? Okay, then Rondo is going to abuse Curry/Cooke in the pick and roll with AD, or just throw lobs forever. Put Curry on Jrue to let him get off and make Klay guard Rondo to stop that PnR action? Fine, now Jrue can waltz to the rim at will.

We have a lot of options to exploit here.
    I agree, as I stated earlier, no one currently in playoffs, including houston wants to meet this pels team. I realize we could go out tomm. and lay an egg, but I love this D and focus the guys have

Draymond Green guards who ? Hill?
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    Draymond Green guards who ? Hill?
    They probably want Green to guard AD. This makes a degree of sense, putting your best defender on the other team's best offensive player. The problem is, is that AD torches Draymond every time they play. So they might try and have him guard Jrue, with Klay on Rondo, and hide Curry (if he plays) on Hill/Moore/Miller. I still don't think that would work for them and I think Jrue would smoke him, but they don't really have good options. They match up poorly against us.

Thread Information