Pelicans Report

Thread: The Best Two Way Players in the NBA

The Best Two Way Players in the NBA

So last night Jrue made his case to be named the best “two-way” player, but then my mind went to wondering (because I couldn’t go to sleep after that win), “Who are the NBA’s best “two-way” players?”

Kawhi Leonard is one. AD is definitely one. LeBron for sure. The Greek Freak. Who else? There is a difference between a guy who is a good defender and a guy who can throw his opponent into solitary confinement. Also, there is a difference between a guy who can put up points when he is open, and then there are guys who can put up points when they have defenders draped all over them. So you need a balance of Rob Artest and James Harden.

We have two of them, but who are the others?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

On another note, if you could secure the services of Leonard who would you give up in order to do so? I don’t care if he is “injured”. If you can match him up with a combo of AD/Boogie, or AD/Jrue, or Boogie/Jrue, you have a title winning team there.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Jimmy Butler is near the top of the list

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

I think for purposes of defining a two way player you need a guy that can:

1.) Stonewall opponents across positions, at the point of attack or off ball.

2. Can also score at the point of attack or off ball.

My list, in no particular order.

Kawhi
    CP3
    LeBron
    George
    Durant
    Davis
    Butler
    Embiid
    Atentekoumpo
    Holiday

Thompson

If these guys are coming at you with the ball. You’re screwed.

If they are off the ball and you fall asleep. You’re screwed.

If you have the ball one on one against them. You’re screwed.

If they help off to defend you. You’re screwed.

Klay is excellent at the point of attack. I’m not sure he’s the kind of athlete that can eviscerate fools from the help side. I felt like his name should still be on here for credibility’s sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 04-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Ugh. I really don't want to do the semantic thing because that is HANDS DOWN the worst thing about this forum but I see two way player as just great at offense and defense.

That's a great list and I agree with it. I like it. It's more complex and thorough than my view. So no disrespect. But you start adding in guarding multiple positions and off the ball and on the ball attack and all of a sudden it's more than two ways, it's transdimensional.

But if we go REALLY transdimensional then I guess we have to add metaphysical and go Metta World Peace.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Ugh. I really don't want to do the semantic thing because that is HANDS DOWN the worst thing about this forum but I see two way player as just great at offense and defense.

That's a great list and I agree with it. I like it. It's more complex and thorough than my view. So no disrespect. But you start adding in guarding multiple positions and off the ball and on the ball attack and all of a sudden it's more than two ways, it's transdimensional.

But if we go REALLY transdimensional then I guess we have to add metaphysical and go Metta World Peace.
    Yeah, I didn’t want to get in the weeds.

I just didn’t want a list that has one dimensional scorers like Gobert, Porter, or Covington etc.

Or guys like Westbrook, Curry, or Harden who can functional well in team set ups and have obvious offensive prowess.

Or guys like Green that can function beautifully in most offenses but couldn’t carry a team for more than 1 possession at a time.

Gentry kind of alluded to that nuance when he talked about what Jrue is asked to do on a night in and night out basis on both sides of the floor.

I don’t know Boogie’s game well enough, pre-injury was he a two way player?

That’s a solid list btw.

Yeah. I am ignorant to most of the league. I truly loathe the new age NBA. The officiating and ticky tac rules. I can't watch other games. Love the Pels. But I only learn of other teams when we play them.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don’t know Boogie’s game well enough, pre-injury was he a two way player?

That’s a solid list btw.
    Nah. He was always said to have the talent to be a good defender but never gave enough energy on that end. He's been average for his career but has shown flashes.

Good list, but I might throw in Oladipo at this point.

A year ago I would have argued for Bledsoe too, but something seems to have fallen off in his game...

Yep Oladipo needs to be there for sure

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Good list, but I might throw in Oladipo at this point.

A year ago I would have argued for Bledsoe too, but something seems to have fallen off in his game...
    Everything, I think...

Idk about Greek freak I'd say he's an okay defender and if we're talking LeBron from a few years ago sure but LeBron now jist isn't that good on D

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Idk about Greek freak I'd say he's an okay defender and if we're talking LeBron from a few years ago sure but LeBron now jist isn't that good on D

I think something has to be taken into consideration with Lebron, and that's age and minutes. Overall, he doesn't really do defense anymore, as a habit. But I watch a ton of Cleveland games, and in the 4th quarter he's pretty much always on the other team's best player and he still has it. He doesn't do it for 48 minutes a game anymore, but if I had to pick one guy to play defense for one possession, he's still right up there.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think something has to be taken into consideration with Lebron, and that's age and minutes. Overall, he doesn't really do defense anymore, as a habit. But I watch a ton of Cleveland games, and in the 4th quarter he's pretty much always on the other team's best player and he still has it. He doesn't do it for 48 minutes a game anymore, but if I had to pick one guy to play defense for one possession, he's still right up there.
    Well I mean yeah he can and I'm sure if he actually wanted to he could maybe do it for most of a game but he just doesn't any more so you have to take that into consideration too I mean when I think of two way players I think do they do it most of the game. Hell even harden can play great D for a couple of possessions but no one would ever put him in the category of two way player lol

I know its early but I think randle has the ability to dominate on both ends of the court.
    I'm a grinder

Thread Information