Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Double edged sword.....

I rather play the Jazz over Golden State or Houston on any day.

Here is what I just got from my ticket rep.

Pelicans Ticket Holders – We have officially clinched the NBA playoffs! With the Western Conference standings being so close, we still have the potential to be anywhere from the 8 seed to the 4 seed. These bullets below explain our tie breakers in relation to the current Western Conference standings –

5. New Orleans Pelicans (47-34)
    • Win tiebreakers over: Spurs (2-1), Thunder (2-1)
    • Lose tiebreakers to: Jazz (3-1), Timberwolves (4-0), Nuggets (2-1)
    • Split series: Blazers (2-2)
    • Note: Final game is against San Antonio; 8-7 division record

Utah plays Golden State tonight and Portland tomorrow night. We should be obviously be rooting for Utah to lose both games so that we have a chance to play for the 4 seed tomorrow night vs. San Antonio. If Utah loses both games, and we win tomorrow night… We will be the 4 seed and have home court advantage for Round 1. Despite an even head-to-head record, we would not win a tie breaker with Portland due to their better Conference record. If OKC & Spurs win, and we end up tied with Minnesota or Denver at 47-35… we would fall to the 8 seed. It is VITAL to win on Wednesday to secure the highest seeding possible.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I've heard conflicting reports on this. OKC shouldn't be ranked ahead of us if we have the tie breaker.
    We don't lose a head-to-head tiebreaker with OKC, but we do come in 3rd in a three-way tie with OKC and the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    We don't lose a head-to-head tiebreaker with OKC, but we do come in 3rd in a three-way tie with OKC and the Jazz.
    Not disagreeing just saying I've heard conflicting reports on this. Some people like you have said we can fall to 6th. Others have said because of our tiebreaker over OKC we can only fall to 5th no matter what Utah does.

I'm sure 42 is writing an article on this that will clear it all up.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-10-2018 at 12:16 PM.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Here is what I just got from my ticket rep.

Pelicans Ticket Holders – We have officially clinched the NBA playoffs! With the Western Conference standings being so close, we still have the potential to be anywhere from the 8 seed to the 4 seed. These bullets below explain our tie breakers in relation to the current Western Conference standings –

5. New Orleans Pelicans (47-34)
    • Win tiebreakers over: Spurs (2-1), Thunder (2-1)
    • Lose tiebreakers to: Jazz (3-1), Timberwolves (4-0), Nuggets (2-1)
    • Split series: Blazers (2-2)
    • Note: Final game is against San Antonio; 8-7 division record

Utah plays Golden State tonight and Portland tomorrow night. We should be obviously be rooting for Utah to lose both games so that we have a chance to play for the 4 seed tomorrow night vs. San Antonio. If Utah loses both games, and we win tomorrow night… We will be the 4 seed and have home court advantage for Round 1. Despite an even head-to-head record, we would not win a tie breaker with Portland due to their better Conference record. If OKC & Spurs win, and we end up tied with Minnesota or Denver at 47-35… we would fall to the 8 seed. It is VITAL to win on Wednesday to secure the highest seeding possible.
    Division record is next after head to head, not conference... at least I think so. If Portland loses both games and we beat SA then we will have a better division record by 1 game.

** UPDATE ** Ok - division records only if in the same division... I assumed it was just overall division record. Below is the full tiebreaker rules:

https://ak-static-int.nba.com/wp-con...Procedures.pdf
    Last edited by TxAggie713; 04-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Thread Information