Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mirotic trade was BEST move Demps has made.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yep. Totally would be. I don't know how likely with how our cap is but we definitely could.
    This team and style seems to enhance his skill set. Extending him for a couple yrs. with modest increases, seems like the best move before we sign Boogie, that way we have some options with him since we will be in tax anyway when we max Cuz.

open new thread. see same loop of conversation. fans knee jerk. people who spend their life on this forum knee jerk on knee jerk fans to prove superior fandom. casual fan gets defensive. a few random comments. new thread. repeat. #playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    This team and style seems to enhance his skill set. Extending him for a couple yrs. with modest increases, seems like the best move before we sign Boogie, that way we have some options with him since we will be in tax anyway when we max Cuz.
    We have his bird's rights so we don't need to extend him before signing Cousins. We can sign any free agents we want first (since Clark and Rondo are on 1 year deals they will have to be signed first), then we can sign Cousins and Mirotic after we make all other off season moves.

Extensions aren't super common in the NBA because teams have Bird's Rights on players so as long as the player and team have a good relationship they get higher pay increases with their home team. Usually an extension comes with a pay increase for the remaining contract because of the cap situation I don't know if we do it.

I'm all for locking Mirotic up long term though. I think a big rotation of AD, Cousins, and Mirotic is REALLY solid, especially in the playoffs. Heck in the playoffs there might not be enough minutes.

We have his bird's rights so we don't need to extend him before signing Cousins. We can sign any free agents we want first (since Clark and Rondo are on 1 year deals they will have to be signed first), then we can sign Cousins and Mirotic after we make all other off season moves.

Extensions aren't super common in the NBA because teams have Bird's Rights on players so as long as the player and team have a good relationship they get higher pay increases with their home team. Usually an extension comes with a pay increase for the remaining contract because of the cap situation I don't know if we do it.

I'm all for locking Mirotic up long term though. I think a big rotation of AD, Cousins, and Mirotic is REALLY solid, especially in the playoffs. Heck in the playoffs there might not be enough minutes.
    yea that's the problem, paying a lot of money for 3 bigs. We've given away all our first round draft picks so cheap playoff rotation guys will be hard to come by. While I think the market for Rondo is going to be soft enough that he likely comes back, Clark is going to get a larger deal elsewhere and maybe miller after next season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    yea that's the problem, paying a lot of money for 3 bigs. We've given away all our first round draft picks so cheap playoff rotation guys will be hard to come by. While I think the market for Rondo is going to be soft enough that he likely comes back, Clark is going to get a larger deal elsewhere and maybe miller after next season as well.
    I mean we say that but Dell has done it every year. Where did he pull Miller and Ian Clark from this season? Crawford last year? BdJ and Ennis the year before? Frazier, Roberts?

Look at Houston and Golden State and Cleveland, etc. All the teams perceived as "contenders". They are constantly adding cheap rotation players because guys want to join for a chance to win a ring.

I'm honestly not worried about adding 8 and 9 man types. Lock up your big dogs and the rest falls in place.

The odds of finding guys like Mirotic through the draft, and still on cheap contracts are slim and none. By the time they start producing like he does those contracts are long expired.

The Blazers have 2 top 10 lotto guys in Evan Turner and Aminu and 100% of Blazer brass would trade both those guys for Niko in a heart beat.

Odds are extremely in favor of if you want that kind of rotation talent you've got to pay and probably into the tax.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-20-2018 at 10:54 PM.

someone on realm compared Niko backing up AD/DC to E-Gordon backing up Hou's 2 stars in a super 6th man role. makes sense

I'm not convinced that all three can't be on the court at once.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    open new thread. see same loop of conversation. fans knee jerk. people who spend their life on this forum knee jerk on knee jerk fans to prove superior fandom. casual fan gets defensive. a few random comments. new thread. repeat. #playoffs
    WADR - this forum is still relatively dead... this organization desperately needs THOUSANDS more bandwagon fans. the board should be turning over posts and repeating the same discussions MUCH more than it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    LMAO
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I'm not convinced that all three can't be on the court at once.
    Pels could actually use a rotation next year with 2 of them on the court at all times ! Rondo-Jrue-AD-DC-NICO START! 6, 8 or 12 minute rotationals! Boogie OUT- AD #5 & Nico at #4 ........AD OUT---Boogie #5 & Nico #4........ Nico OUT----Boogie #5 & AD #4 ... I would lay a dime to a donut that the OPPONENT would have to adjust yo us before we have to adjust to them,do to necessity. AD can guard Brewer, Draymond, Ariza, Aminu, Melo, Barton, Ingles et al! Guess what--> They aint a nay one of them that can GUARD AD-NICO or BOOGIE! AD certainly allows us to start the 3 !

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Pels could actually use a rotation next year with 2 of them on the court at all times ! Rondo-Jrue-AD-DC-NICO START! 6, 8 or 12 minute rotationals! Boogie OUT- AD #5 & Nico at #4 ........AD OUT---Boogie #5 & Nico #4........ Nico OUT----Boogie #5 & AD #4 ... I would lay a dime to a donut that the OPPONENT would have to adjust yo us before we have to adjust to them,do to necessity. AD can guard Brewer, Draymond, Ariza, Aminu, Melo, Barton, Ingles et al! Guess what--> They aint a nay one of them that can GUARD AD-NICO or BOOGIE! AD certainly allows us to start the 3 !

Lol I see the same thing as ad starting at the 3 in playoff games with Nico and cousins.....cousins running the pnr with Nico or ad.....cousins throwing lobs to ad with Nico spacing the floor.....three bigs running the inside and outside game....rebounds and points in the paint will be huge.....putting opponents 3-5 in foul trouble early lol....those 3 with jrue on the court would end small ball...

the only thing I see stoping this would be gentry sticking to his small ball scheme ...

Two of them on the court at all times is optimal. Three of them together is not optimal, but possible in spurts with Niko at the 3. Depends on the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Two of them on the court at all times is optimal. Three of them together is not optimal, but possible in spurts with Niko at the 3. Depends on the opponent.
    I feel like having all three of them on the court at one point would be a good response to when San Antonio runs those super big lineups (Aldridge + Gasol + Anderson + Bertans) or when somebody like Cleveland attempts those "everybody is about 6'8" lineups.
    Basketball.

[QUOTE=Pelicanidae;1458800]I feel like having all three of them on the court at one point would be a good response to when San Antonio runs those super big lineups (Aldridge + Gasol + Anderson + Bertans) or when somebody like Cleveland attempts those "everybody is about 6'8" lineups

Instead of the mindset of us matching up with others. Let's see who/how any tea,m can match up with us. JRUE, EM or DM, AD, CUZ, and NICO

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Silver Nail;1458801]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I feel like having all three of them on the court at one point would be a good response to when San Antonio runs those super big lineups (Aldridge + Gasol + Anderson + Bertans) or when somebody like Cleveland attempts those "everybody is about 6'8" lineups

Instead of the mindset of us matching up with others. Let's see who/how any tea,m can match up with us. JRUE, EM or DM, AD, CUZ, and NICO
    Yes THAT ^^

It might just but me but I really think we're a juggernaut in the making

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It might just but me but I really think we're a juggernaut in the making
    It's not just you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    someone on realm compared Niko backing up AD/DC to E-Gordon backing up Hou's 2 stars in a super 6th man role. makes sense
    I always thought about it in terms of the Bynum/Gasol/Odum rotation - but with a lot more skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's not just you.
    MESSAGE where is game thread?

MESSAGE where is game thread?
    It's up now don't worry

I love Niko but he's not nearly as effective as a 3. Playing him, AD, and Cousins at the same time isn't a great option. You'd suffer defensively, where you go from his great post defense to his shaky perimeter defense, and offensively, where he loses touches and basically becomes a decoy

I mean we say that but Dell has done it every year. Where did he pull Miller and Ian Clark from this season? Crawford last year? BdJ and Ennis the year before? Frazier, Roberts?

Look at Houston and Golden State and Cleveland, etc. All the teams perceived as "contenders". They are constantly adding cheap rotation players because guys want to join for a chance to win a ring.

I'm honestly not worried about adding 8 and 9 man types. Lock up your big dogs and the rest falls in place.
    You gotta be kidding me on Crawford, Roberts, Frazier, those players are bad. Everyone was surprised when all Clark got was the minimum. Darius Miller was nice, but Demps does no better job than any other GM at finding guys at the bottom of the barrell. Losing Clark and later Miller would be a bigger problem than you seem to realize.

Houston went out and spent money on Tucker to be a 8th man type, and spent money on Nene as well. GS spent big money on Livingston and are giving non minimum contracts to Nick Young and Zaza, contracts we wouldnt be able to afford after locking up 7 players. THey are lucky and can afford this because Capella on rookie deal and Klay and Dray are on pre cap balloon contracts. Cleveland is a mess and terribly run, I wouldn't look to them for exmples on anything and would you really want a 50 year old Jose Calderon playing at all for you? I certainly dont want Okafor or Diallo to play minutes in these playoffs and would really hate being forced to play them for significant stretches.

I honestly think with the amount of money Niko will command that we wont be able to afford him at all because we'll already be playing close to 100 million for 3 players. I'd love to keep the core 7 even at the cost of the 8th guy and I was trying to be an optimist but I see keeping those guys as difficult. We may even have to move someone we dont want to this offseason to keep Rondo and Boogie depending on what kind of offers Rondo gets. The likely scenario to me is Dell uses another first round pick to dump Solomon Hill a year from now to re up Mirotic. And the Pelicans need to face the reality that they need to draft/find a longterm solution at Pg or Small forward sooner or later that is price controlled because that top 4 will be costly and Rondo probably is due for some decline soon and wont be a guy we can play 36 postseason minutes when he can longer stay with guys defensively.

I dont understand why people here keep thinking of the draft as some garbage heap. Anyone who thinks you cant get value out of late first round picks needs to look no further than Toronto who are getting 60 minutes per game in the playoffs out of Wright, OG Anunoby and Siakam. Finding guys who contribute is more often than totally whiffing. And there's a chance you get a guy who breaks out. I'd be pretty thrilled to have a guy with Anunoby's potential giving us for 1 million what Solo Hill is supposed to be giving us for 12.

Again, look at all the top teams, they all have players that took discounts to be there. Heck, Golden States' entire center rotation are guys playing for peanuts to try to get a ring.

You can try and discredit players Dell found but he found guys that gave us valuable minutes. Heck backup PG has been filled twice in the last few yeaes with a guy off the street who was then later traded for draft picks. Ish Smith and Tim Frazier. Those players are out there. Look at Quinn Cook in Golden State. Look at what we did with adding Okafor this year. Every single year since AD has been here we have added a guy "out of nowhere" who could give us minutes on a cheap deal. This will only get easier from here out with us having a good playoff showing. Next year will be the exact same thing if it comes to it. This is also ignoring the continued development of Diallo and Jackson coming back from injury and finally being healthy. Jackson might be exactly what we need already.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-22-2018 at 06:39 AM.

I was a big fan of the Mirotic trade when it happened and I'm glad it's finally working out. Unfortunately I don't think we can keep him and Cousins long-term. Mirotic makes the team very very good when he's playing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Thread Information