Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double edged sword.....

Double edged sword.....

So which would you rather have happen....Win the final game of the year and finish as the number 5 seed and get a series against the Jazz who are probably the worst possible matchup in terms of teams and the styles of play, have to go against the team that just has your number no matter what you try against them......or lose and end up as the 7 seed and have to go against the defending champs who before beating the version of the warriors that was without arguably their best overall player...had beaten you 14 times in a row and over a span of 3 seasons had beaten you time a day time again despite many close games over that span...They would still most likely be without Curry for the series and the chances of beating them would be increased at least a little bit...but again they are the winners of two of three and lost the other one in the finals in 7 and had they not lost green in game 5 that year probably would've won 3 straight ...I mean talk about a rock and a hard place....in some scenarios the pelicans could drop into 8th if they did lose this last game...and that would be devastatingly bad to end this year...seeing as I'm of the opinion that the rockets will win the NBA title this season and will do it relatively easily for what it's worth...so I've left out that terrible version of events due to the literal no change of advancing into even a game 6 of that certain series.....Winning a game against the rockets would still be a stretch in the much more competitive playoff games....But seriously.....what would you rather have????

I'm of the mind that we would lose both series possibilities, but I honestly think we'd match up with the warriors better and have a better chance of stealing a series from them rather than the Jazz who I believe we'd lose to in 6 and maybe even 5....But you can't lose the last game and risk matching up with the rockets and having this great season end with the biggest and most deflating ending like it would be if we saw The Beard in round one...

I vote for a Curry-less warriors matchup but I fear that we see the jazz and will suffer through a five or six game series having to watch a couple of truly bad blowouts along the way that would be just no fun to watch at all. Having to think of what would be if boogie were there for this team knowing that Gobert cannot guard two all stars at once....having to watch him shut down AD in ways that are confusing to the eyes to have to see....cause literally only he can do what he's doing to the man. Jazz just have our number and Gobert is Anthony Davis kryptonite and is not going to be anything but as good as he can be in a home playoff series...

I wanna play God himself and his chosen pickup team because we are unstoppable monsters and AD can dunk on John the Apostle for the game winning poster
    Basketball.

we hope to play blazers round 1

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    we hope to play blazers round 1
    And that only happens is the Pels beat San Antonio and Portland loses to Utah, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    And that only happens is the Pels beat San Antonio and Portland loses to Utah, right?
    and i think utah has to beat warriors as well. not positive tho

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Honestly, I just don't want to face Houston or Golden State. I'll take anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Honestly, I just don't want to face Houston or Golden State. I'll take anyone else.
    Golden state without Curry? We can take em

jazz currently -280 tomorrow vs warriors. if they win that and we beat spurs, then our fate comes down to that late jazz @ blazers game wed. night. we'd be rooting HARD for utah. in that scenario, jazz win and we play portland. portland wins and we play jazz......i think

According to.. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...zjxKw/htmlview , here are our % chance to play each team:

Blazers: 47.9513%
    Rockets: 38.6607%
    Thunder: 7.45% (we would have home court)
    Jazz: 2.7713%
    Warriors: 1.3395%
    Wolves: 0.5132% (we would have home court)
    Nuggets: 0.3146% (we would have home court)

thats not exactly 100% right but gives you an idea. basically we win on wednesday and play portland probably or lose wednesday and play houston probably

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Golden state without Curry? We can take em
    Exactly. Utah is the worst matchup for us. Utah is just a team built for the playoffs. I could see 0-4 again

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    According to.. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...zjxKw/htmlview , here are our % chance to play each team:

Blazers: 47.9513%
    Rockets: 38.6607%
    Thunder: 7.45% (we would have home court)
    Jazz: 2.7713%
    Warriors: 1.3395%
    Wolves: 0.5132% (we would have home court)
    Nuggets: 0.3146% (we would have home court)

thats not exactly 100% right but gives you an idea. basically we win on wednesday and play portland probably or lose wednesday and play houston probably
    this spread sheet is wrong.. how the heck would okc have fourth seed if the records are equal with ours? we have tie breaker

The 4th seed is still in play. Jazz need to lose these next 2. I'd take that 4th seed no matter who they play.

Quote Originally Posted by bdnp1 View Post
    this spread sheet is wrong.. how the heck would okc have fourth seed if the records are equal with ours? we have tie breaker
    Am I missing something or do we not have the tie breaker with the Thunder. Didn't we tie them in the season series? I could be wrong but if you tie the season series and you're not in the same division I'm pretty sure it goes to conference record. Which would mean the Thunder would have to lose to the Grizzlies while we beat the Spurs to finish above them in the standings.

So the only way to get homecourt or finish 5th is for the unlikely scenario that the Thunder lose at home to the Grizzlies and the more likely situation of the Jazz losing out. This could work in our favor though if we grab the 6th seed and the Blazers beat the Jazz.

The most likely seeds are 5th or 8th. I don't think Utah drops two or the Thunder lose to the Grizzlies.

Win 5th, lose 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsTakeFlight View Post
    Am I missing something or do we not have the tie breaker with the Thunder. Didn't we tie them in the season series? I could be wrong but if you tie the season series and you're not in the same division I'm pretty sure it goes to conference record. Which would mean the Thunder would have to lose to the Grizzlies while we beat the Spurs to finish above them in the standings.

So the only way to get homecourt or finish 5th is for the unlikely scenario that the Thunder lose at home to the Grizzlies and the more likely situation of the Jazz losing out. This could work in our favor though if we grab the 6th seed and the Blazers beat the Jazz.
    The scenario you are talking about is if Utah loses one game, OKC beats the Grizz, and Pelicans beat the Spurs. In that case it's a three-way tie among the Pels, OKC, and Utah. We are at the bottom of that 3-way because of our 1-3 record against the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    The scenario you are talking about is if Utah loses one game, OKC beats the Grizz, and Pelicans beat the Spurs. In that case it's a three-way tie among the Pels, OKC, and Utah. We are at the bottom of that 3-way because of our 1-3 record against the Jazz.
    But say the Jazz don't finish with 48 wins and the Thunder and Pelicans finish with the same record. Wouldn't the Thunder finish above us in that case? What I'm confused about is why people are saying we own the tie-breaker with the Thunder.

But say the Jazz don't finish with 48 wins and the Thunder and Pelicans finish with the same record. Wouldn't the Thunder finish above us in that case? What I'm confused about is why people are saying we own the tie-breaker with the Thunder.
    Because we do.

Pels beat the Thunder 2 out of 3 games this season.

Pels beat the Thunder 2 out of 3 games this season.
    Wow I'm an idiot. I looked up the scores on google and didn't realize they included the preseason game. Thanks for clearing it up, my bad y'all. So thats hype; there's a great chance the Jazz lose both and we get homecourt!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Never in my wildest dreams would I think that it's either 4, 5, or 8. Talk about a dramatic drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Never in my wildest dreams would I think that it's either 4, 5, or 8. Talk about a dramatic drop off.
    Actually the 6th seed is the highest probability for the Pels. If all the favorites win ---- Jazz beat Warriors but lose to Blazers, Pels beat Spurs, OKC beats the Grizz --- the Pels end up at #6 and face the Blazers in the first round.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...zjxKw/htmlview

Nvm. He was mistaken. We win and our lowest possible seed is 5th.

Did anything think that after Cousins went down we could end up with 48 wins and a 5th seed? Did we think it was anything more than the longest shot to start the season?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Actually the 6th seed is the highest probability for the Pels. If all the favorites win ---- Jazz beat Warriors but lose to Blazers, Pels beat Spurs, OKC beats the Grizz --- the Pels end up at #6 and face the Blazers in the first round.
    Blazers in a funk, I'm seeing Jazz winning both. They finish 3rd, Portland 4th and us 5th. I'd take that matchup any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Nvm. He was mistaken. We win and our lowest possible seed is 5th.

Did anything think that after Cousins went down we could end up with 48 wins and a 5th seed? Did we think it was anything more than the longest shot to start the season?
    Pretty sure I said 48 wins and 6th seed, so that's pretty close. And before the season I said 53 wins and 5th seed (didn't expect 5th to be attainable with <50 wins but hey).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...zjxKw/htmlview
    I've heard conflicting reports on this. OKC shouldn't be ranked ahead of us if we have the tie breaker.

Thread Information