Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 more years of Hill at 13 mil a year

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's played 158 minutes total this season. All while on a minute restriction and trying to work himself back into game shape after coming back from a terrible injury.

Of course he hasn't looked good. The idea was never as soon as he comes back he was going to be great for us. We are slowly working him back from injury.
    Yeah seems a very high expectation for a guy who has barely played any basketball. No legs on him being it was a hammy injury, wasn't getting any team practices in because of schedule. Just work him back into some fitness and get into the off season without further injury would be the realistic goal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My number one thing for Solo to develop is an off the dribble jumper.

He's a strong lad with a quick first step, but every good small forward needs to be able to create their own shot (and hit it). Al

At this point in time I'm not sure how Dell decided his skill set was worth 13 mil for 4 years
    Last edited by AusPel; 04-10-2018 at 03:45 AM.

How most fans felt about the Omer Asik situation when he was here and that's probably how most feel about Hill right now.
    Another poor decision by GM Demps and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    How does this make you feel

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    How most fans felt about the Omer Asik situation when he was here and that's probably how most feel about Hill right now.
    Another poor decision by GM Demps and his staff.
    Most!? Please don't compare the thoughts of "most" of us to your own. Hill just returned to action and he needs time to find his legs and rhythm. We need to be patient! Asik's situation is so far different that it's not even worth addressing

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Other than rookie deals, how many contracts in the NBA are great values? Would you love to be paying Hill $4-6m less? Absolutely. Is this outside of the norm for the NBA? Not close. Every team has a guy that is overpaid. Other than Boston, find me the playoff team with no overpays?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Other than rookie deals, how many contracts in the NBA are great values? Would you love to be paying Hill $4-6m less? Absolutely. Is this outside of the norm for the NBA? Not close. Every team has a guy that is overpaid. Other than Boston, find me the playoff team with no overpays?
    An overpay is an overpay, no matter what other teams may or may not be doing. Seems like your justification is along the lines of two wrongs make a right.

An overpay is an overpay, no matter what other teams may or may not be doing. Seems like your justification is along the lines of two wrongs make a right.
    It’s more of- ok he’s overpaid for his production, that’s been established. So should we complain about it and harp on it as such a big mistake? What good does that do? Or would it be better to accept it, hope he gets healthy and plays well the remainder of his career here. And focus on the myriad of positives going on with the team. Like NM said, nearly every team has an overpaid, underperforming player on their roster, many a lot worse than Hill. Deal with it, stop whining.

At some point, if everyone is overpaying, then its no longer overpaying, its the norm.

My number one thing for Solo to develop is an off the dribble jumper.

He's a strong lad with a quick first step, but every good small forward needs to be able to create their own shot (and hit it). Al

At this point in time I'm not sure how Dell decided his skill set was worth 13 mil for 4 years
    At this point I'll just settle for a consistent jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    It’s more of- ok he’s overpaid for his production, that’s been established. So should we complain about it and harp on it as such a big mistake? What good does that do? Or would it be better to accept it, hope he gets healthy and plays well the remainder of his career here. And focus on the myriad of positives going on with the team. Like NM said, nearly every team has an overpaid, underperforming player on their roster, many a lot worse than Hill. Deal with it, stop whining.
    I think long-term it is a problem because it is a barrier in place to making that final leap.

The way forward in the new CBA NBA is splurging on your 2-3 superstars to fill out your core and than spend incredibly wisely everywhere else. Hill is the antithesis to that. With how much money the league is now allowing your superstars to take up as a percentage of the cap, the margin for error everywhere else on the roster has shrunk and will continue to shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    You're not implying that we would've done better with our pick, than trading for Nico, are you? Nah, NOWAY you can be suggesting that, RIGHT?
    What are you talking about?

GO LOOK AT OUR SALARY CAP OUTLOOK....

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    What are you talking about?

GO LOOK AT OUR SALARY CAP OUTLOOK....
    Trade ajinca, hill, 1st round for a wing that can start immediately. Yes, we lose another pick but yes we trade away like 18mil of worthless salaries.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I think long-term it is a problem because it is a barrier in place to making that final leap.

The way forward in the new CBA NBA is splurging on your 2-3 superstars to fill out your core and than spend incredibly wisely everywhere else. Hill is the antithesis to that. With how much money the league is now allowing your superstars to take up as a percentage of the cap, the margin for error everywhere else on the roster has shrunk and will continue to shrink.
    The Pelicans added Mirotic and will have Boogie returning next year. That's a serious step forward. All Hill needs to do is hold his own on defense and take the next step with his 3 point shot. His contract is not an incredible value, but its not an albatross like Asik was.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Trade ajinca, hill, 1st round for a wing that can start immediately. Yes, we lose another pick but yes we trade away like 18mil of worthless salaries.
    So what kind of wing do you think we're gonna get for that pile of hot mess we are sending? 1) We would have to wait until after our pick/Chi's pick for Mirotic to make any move on a 2019 1st rounder. + our pick is gonna be in the 20's. We would get nothing usable for that bushel of berries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So what kind of wing do you think we're gonna get for that pile of hot mess we are sending? 1) We would have to wait until after our pick/Chi's pick for Mirotic to make any move on a 2019 1st rounder. + our pick is gonna be in the 20's. We would get nothing usable for that bushel of berries.
    If Demps got Niko for a late first and Asik, I would think he could get something useful for that Bushel of berries.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

We got Mirotic for a bag of hammers. I think we can get someone for the first and hills "potential" better than the asik deal for the buyer.

So many people acted like any suggestion about moving Asik was idiotic believing it wasn't possible in a trade to get an end of the bench player with 10 1st round picks attatched. The same people who said Dell with pure luck just stumbled across a pot o gold at the end of a rainbow landing Boogie for Buddy. Yes we made some very good moves obviously but similiar ones happen all the time. Now some are gonna act like we simply can't move Solo? Absolutely no way we will bring in any type of game changer in a deal with Solo involved? Was Boogie a game changer? Was Mirotic a game changer? There is a ton of proof out there on very good to great players being moved for far less then anyone believes is going to happen.. Then it happens! All the time..

Solo is a very moveable player especially with the assets we currently have to package. I see this team being very aggressive this summer on the trade market. For once since AD has been here the Pels actually have multiple valuable assets instead of just draft picks to offer. Would be tough to part with some but for the right player we make the move.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-11-2018 at 01:30 AM.

I don't think people believe Solo can't be moved. It's more the wing issue. Trading for a good wing simply costs more.

Look at the two trades, which I take no credit away from Dell for, but look at who he was focused on. Cousins has lots of concerns coming out of Sac and was a big man in a league full of big men. Heck a ton of people said he wouldn't work here because we already had a big. Look at Mirotic, he demanded to be traded and is a stretch big that Chicago basically dumped. I mean the trade was basically Mirotic + 2nd for Asik + 1st.

So my question for everyone saying package Solo and picks or w/e *FOR A SF* is, which SF can we get? The entire reason people are saying trade Hill is because he is overpaid. Go look at the SF list in the NBA,

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/...small-forward/

Hill is the 20/21 highest paid one and there's a ton of overpaid players on that list before this summer hits and this list doesn't count guys like Bazemore, Hayward, Batum, or Butler who split time between sg/SF.

I don't necessarily believe that a 1st + Hill and garbage will get us anything over a mediocre SF. I'd rather wait for the time being and let Hill come back from his injury and see how he will be because his defense will outstanding last season. Once he gets his legs back he didn't shoot bad from 3 last year either.

Fans, just like they were 4 games ago, are simply hung up too much on the immediate "oh Hill is terrible gotta get him out" instead of just being patient.

I don't think people believe Solo can't be moved. It's more the wing issue. Trading for a good wing simply costs more.

Look at the two trades, which I take no credit away from Dell for, but look at who he was focused on. Cousins has lots of concerns coming out of Sac and was a big man in a league full of big men. Heck a ton of people said he wouldn't work here because we already had a big. Look at Mirotic, he demanded to be traded and is a stretch big that Chicago basically dumped. I mean the trade was basically Mirotic + 2nd for Asik + 1st.

So my question for everyone saying package Solo and picks or w/e *FOR A SF* is, which SF can we get? The entire reason people are saying trade Hill is because he is overpaid. Go look at the SF list in the NBA,

Hill is the 20/21 highest paid one and there's a ton of overpaid players on that list before this summer hits and this list doesn't count guys like Bazemore, Hayward, Batum, or Butler who split time between sg/SF.

I don't necessarily believe that a 1st + Hill and garbage will get us anything over a mediocre SF. I'd rather wait for the time being and let Hill come back from his injury and see how he will be because his defense will outstanding last season. Once he gets his legs back he didn't shoot bad from 3 last year either.

Fans, just like they were 4 games ago, are simply hung up too much on the immediate "oh Hill is terrible gotta get him out" instead of just being patient.
    I like Hill, and think his salary is fine, I love his D, his ability to hit the 3 and run the floor. Some seem to forget how good he was at the end of last season. If no superstar 3 is available I am very comfortable going into next season with Solo and Miller as the threes. Best SF's they have had in years.

I was just commenting that the Pels should have enough to make a trade if one presents itself.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I like Hill, and think his salary is fine, I love his D, his ability to hit the 3 and run the floor. Some seem to forget how good he was at the end of last season. If no superstar 3 is available I am very comfortable going into next season with Solo and Miller as the threes. Best SF's they have had in years.

I was just commenting that the Pels should have enough to make a trade if one presents itself.
    Yeah I even like him as a small ball 4 off the bench. I mean the dude is not in basketball shape after not being able to run for almost a year. We might as well try to make something out of him since we have him. He’s not useless like Asik was.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post

this is how I feel

Dell has done a good job moving albatross contracts. Emeka, Posey, Rishard Lewis, Ariza, sure some of those guys had value, but their contracts were complete milestones around the team’s neck.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...empsde01x.html
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Great post. Notice how those calling to trade him almost never offer a realistic trade proposal that would have a better SF coming back? I'll admit I've played through every team with the trade machine, and yea our best bet is to keep Hill for now, let him return to form/improve, and see how it plays out.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Legitimately think Liggins is a better player.
    @DanielVeuleman

I'm not on the trade Hill bandwagon, but with all the grumbling in SA about KL, how about EM and Hill plus any draft picks they want for him. Works on trade machine, and SA seems to believe he is gone after this year anyway
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 04-16-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Thread Information