Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Gameday: Pelicans VS Angry Clouds

Man I miss Boogie. Even with his turnovers his gritty play and attitude is missing. When AD had a off game we had Boogie dominating. We just didn't play with the urgency we need at this time and with what's on the line.

AD: even if the ankle isn't 100%, that doesn't excuse the careless turnovers, missed easy layups, and just poor overall effort

jrue: 4 made shots and 3 turnovers. 25 million dollars.

rondo: 6 turnovers...

moore: arguably the least clutch player in the league

niko: don't even know where to begin...just trash

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    This is when you earn your pay and sorry but he seems to be MIA more often than not. Yeah maybe the blame should go around the entire team and coaching
    staff but not all of them are earning $22 million per season.
    You mean he wasn't earning his money when we had that 10 game win streak?

Jrue is having the best or nearly the best season of his career while being and absolute defensive juggernaut...

It is completely unfair and idiotic to start saying he isn't worth his contract after a bad game when he's had the type of season he has.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    AD looks burnt out. He's missing easy dunks. Missing loss balls. Looks sluggish. Getting little lift on his shots. Shots landing short.

I hate seeing him struggle because he's out of position and overburdened.

It should be painfully obvious that this team under Gentry and his system is too undisciplined to run this style of offense. Furthermore they play too fast for the IQ of the team. All these guards
    and they still have crazy amount of turnovers. The staff must go long with a few players. They are ruining AD's career with incompetency.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Hang on. You made it personal by calling me "buddy".
    I was replying to that post, not all your posts. If it was another poster saying the same thing I would have replied to them.
    Sorry if being called buddy offended you, not the intention.

I'm ticked off that we've now lost four straight, three of which would have been winnable if we hadn't decided to forget how to play basketball all of a sudden.

21 turnovers. 0-5 from 3 for Niko. Jrue shot 40%. AD went ice cold twice. Those are all the players faults and it legit makes me feel almost sick to think about. Dreadful on every level.
    Basketball.

I never imagined the 10-game streak. The back-to-back-to-back wins. The falling from 4th seed to 8th seed in a week. These guys always surprise me.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Jrue is having the best or nearly the best season of his career while being and absolute defensive juggernaut...

It is completely unfair and idiotic to start saying he isn't worth his contract after a bad game when he's had the type of season he has.

Yep during this 5 game loosing streak too. The pace is just too fast for this team and the head coach doesn't see it. To do the same thing over and over again but expect different results is stupid.
    Last edited by sterlr; 04-01-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    Gentry has maxed this team out and has taken them as far as they can go .

He isn’t a great coach but there’s literally nothing he can do . I’m not the biggest Gentry supporter but it’s obvious he is trying to hold on for dear life and get this team to the playoffs. But the players have been disappointing.

Davis has disappeared, Jrue is clumsy again , Rondo can’t play defense, Moore can’t hit a clutch shot, & Niko is in some strange place .

It’s hard to see the team making the playoffs at this point . We needed to win one against the Thunder and Blazers and we lost both. And Genty isn’t to blame . The players let us down big time
    That was meant as a specific tactical coaching critique, not really an overarching one on the full scope of Gentry as a coach.

I basically agree with you, except I think we can still make the playoffs thanks to the Nuggets and Clippers losing, and I think Davis should be getting credit(or at least my sympathy), not blame, since Wesley is dead on when he said Davis was banged up by the the team's own admission and lots of superstars would decide not to play for this very reason. Since it would reflect poorly on their image when only able to play at 80%.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-01-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Yep during this 5 game loosing streak too. The pace is just too fast for this team and the head coach doesn't see it. To do the same thing over and over again but expect different results I stupid.
    The team only knows how to play one way . It may seem easy to just say .. hey guys slow down and run some Princeton offensive sets . It just doesn’t work that way .

We need an iso game to go win one on one when the offense is trash . We just don’t have that without cousin .
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    That was meant as a specific tactical critique, not a overarching coaching one.

I basically agree with you, except I think we can still make the playoffs thanks to the Nuggets and Clippers losing, and I think Davis should be getting credit, not blame, since Wesley is dead on when he said Davis was banged up by the the team's own admission and lots of superstars would decide not to play for this very reason. Since it would reflect poorly on their image when only able to play at 80%.
    Davis is walking a thin line of being Heroic or hurting is team . I applaud him for playing through the injury but every minute of the floor is a valuable and he needs to play hard every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sorry if being called buddy offended you, not the intention.

I'm ticked off that we've now lost four straight, three of which would have been winnable if we hadn't decided to forget how to play basketball all of a sudden.

21 turnovers. 0-5 from 3 for Niko. Jrue shot 40%. AD went ice cold twice. Those are all the players faults and it legit makes me feel almost sick to think about. Dreadful on every level.
    It didn't offend me, I was simply just responding to your post. I wasn't attacking just you.

To be honest we all got a bit exited with this 10 game winning streak, but without Boogie this team is too floored

Team double team AD and our offensive flow is pathetic to watch when the players don't move without the ball.

Next season will be different and their last chance to make some noise.

Hopefully they can go into next season with close to the same squad and add some cohesiveness, which this team hasn't had for 6 years and then make a splash before the trade deadline to add that 4th player.

This season was all about just making it to the playoffs.
    They have done that.
    Exceeding those expectations were all but gone when Boogie went down. That 10 game winning streak was fools gold.

I just hope for no more injuries and effort in the first round.

Win one game and that is above expectations for me.

The team only knows how to play one way . It may seem easy to just say .. hey guys slow down and run some Princeton offensive sets . It just doesn’t work that way .

We need an iso game to go win one on one when the offense is trash . We just don’t have that without cousin .
    This team needs a San Antonio pace. Demps knew what he was getting in Gentry then to top it off they traded for player that requires a even slower pace. Seems backwards to me. Then
    the coach start 3 sub 6'5 players against larger teams. It just doesn't work.

That really needs to be Davis's next step in his development. Like Zach Lowe said, Davis with more of a two dribble+ arsenal, which for him basically gets him anywhere on the court he wants with a decent look, would make him near unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Yep during this 5 game loosing streak too. The pace is just too fast for this team and the head coach doesn't see it. To do the same thing over and over again but expect different results is stupid.
    No one was complaining about pace during our win streak. Before these 4 losses we had won 4 in a row as well, was the pace a problem during that win streak too?

No. We are playing good teams and AD has been injured for 3 of the 4 losses. The Warriors have struggled with their stats being injured too. It doesn't matter what pace we play at, injuries derail teams.

It didn't offend me, I was simply just responding to your post. I wasn't attacking just you.

To be honest we all got a bit exited with this 10 game winning streak, but without Boogie this team is too floored

Team double team AD and our offensive flow is pathetic to watch when the players don't move without the ball.

Next season will be different and their last chance to make some noise.

Hopefully they can go into next season with close to the same squad and add some cohesiveness, which this team hasn't had for 6 years and then make a splash before the trade deadline to add that 4th player.

This season was all about just making it to the playoffs.
    They have done that.
    Exceeding those expectations were all but gone when Boogie went down. That 10 game winning streak was fools gold.

I just hope for no more injuries and effort in the first round.

Win one game and that is above expectations for me.
    Pretty much this.

Yes the pace was a problem during the win streak. If a team does not have the Warriors shooters they should not be advocating that they take the 1st available open 3 given no matter who the shooter is even though the team posesses one of the best bigs in the game inside. They should play inside out, in to Davis out to open shooter, not AD fighting for boards, sprinting the floor to watch Ian Clark or whoever jack another 3 five seconds into the shot clock only to turn back around to be forced into defensive mismatches. This team should not play like the Warriors, with or without Boogie.
    Last edited by redrum; 04-01-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Yes the pace was a problem during the win streak. If a team does not have the Warriors shooters they should not be advocating that they take the 1st available open 3 given no matter who the shooter is even though the team posesses one of the best bigs in the game inside. They should play inside out, in to Davis out to open shooter, not AD fighting for boards, sprinting the floor to watch Ian Clark or whoever jack another 3 five seconds into the shot clock only to turn back around to be forced into defensive mismatches. This team should not play like the Warriors, with or without Boogie.
    This makes me wonder who is really scheming the offensive plays? Gentry or Finch?

He is making $22 million a year, just take a moment to let that sink before you put your neck out there defending him like he was your brother.
    The Pelicans are paying him premium money yet he plays like a first year rookie 9turnovers and missed OPEN shots)more often than not during critical
    times of games. It's there on video.

He is making $22 million a year, just take a moment to let that sink before you put your neck out there defending him like he was your brother.
    The Pelicans are paying him premium money yet he plays like a first year rookie 9turnovers and missed OPEN shots)more often than not during critical
    times of games. It's there on video.
    Jrue is averaging his 2nd lowest number of turnovers a game this season, and his lowest tov% of his entire career.

To try and cherry pick one bad game, while ignoring MONTHS of good basketball, and point at it saying, "Look how bad he is. Look how overpaid" is disingenuous in the least and shows a lack of comprehension, understanding, and knowledge of basketball.

Jrue is just as much of the reason we are still in the playoff hunt as AD. He has been invaluable to the team this year.

Jrue is averaging his 2nd lowest number of turnovers a game this season, and his lowest tov% of his entire career.

To try and cherry pick one bad game, while ignoring MONTHS of good basketball, and point at it saying, "Look how bad he is. Look how overpaid" is disingenuous in the least and shows a lack of comprehension, understanding, and knowledge of basketball.

Jrue is just as much of the reason we are still in the playoff hunt as AD. He has been invaluable to the team this year.
    While I agree it would be interesting to see his numbers against playoff teams in the West/East versus other teams.

Is it a case that he exceeds his worth against the lesser teams but when the pressure is really on against those better teams he doesn't play as well?

I know for sure against Portland he played up to his contract but we still lost. I'm sure this narrative could be said about all the players not named Davis and DMC.

What they get paid is just easier to point the finger.

If you want to get paid like a star all the time then you have to play like a star all the time. You just don't do it in selective games.

I bet it would be easier for others to understand if they were signing the paychecks. Is Holiday even in the conservation of premier NBA point guards?
    I don't think I've ever heard his name mentioned.

While I agree it would be interesting to see his numbers against playoff teams in the West/East versus other teams.

Is it a case that he exceeds his worth against the lesser teams but when the pressure is really on against those better teams he doesn't play as well?

I know for sure against Portland he played up to his contract but we still lost. I'm sure this narrative could be said about all the players not named Davis and DMC.

What they get paid is just easier to point the finger.

If you want to get paid like a star all the time then you have to play like a star all the time. You just don't do it in selective games.

I bet it would be easier for others to understand if they were signing the paychecks. Is Holiday even in the conservation of premier NBA point guards?
    I don't think I've ever heard his name mentioned.
    Do you not understand how basketball works? Jrue is not a max player, Jrue is not even a near max player. His contract is 50m less than it would be if he was a max player. Before this last game Jrue had a 25 and 6 game against the Cavs and against Portland he had a triple double while scoring 31 points. He has had a remarkably good year.

Players that bring it every single night aren't just stars, they are Superstars. There are probably less than 10 total players that can do that. Besides, that's not counting Jrue's defense which has been amazing, all year. Jrue is probably the best 2 way guard in the entire league this year. He has more than lived up to his contract. The problem is we have lost some games recently and so everyone wants to lash out at everything because they had their expectations set too high.

No one was complaining about pace during our win streak. Before these 4 losses we had won 4 in a row as well, was the pace a problem during that win streak too?

No. We are playing good teams and AD has been injured for 3 of the 4 losses. The Warriors have struggled with their stats being injured too. It doesn't matter what pace we play at, injuries derail teams.

Outside of our 10, 6, and 4 game win streaks... We been extremely inconsistent... In fact... We wouldn't be in the playoff race if not for those streaks. But lets not try to use hindsight and blame pacing of all things for our loses. We push for extra possession and blow leads a lot, but it's not like we can seriously push the pace that much to where it completely effects the game. Just player missing bad shots/ open looks. Granted... Gentry "Let loose" style pace is very unpolished here, but we where never contenders this year. Just gate keepers. Then, you have center having to transition to playing a faster style. Those big boys aren't meant to be running up and down the court, but Cousin was really getting comfortable by Jan. Yet, I'm still not 100% sure if "This" pace is suitable for team where the strength is their Bigs instead of our Guards. They got into a groove, before the injury, but I think if we keep Boogie. We might have to slow the pace down to a tick. We have a super low point differential, and it simply shows that this team has a ways to go before being dominate.

Coaching? Talent? Development? I really can't give you an answer on that. You might as well ask what flavor is blue. You can always find analytics, tape, or etc to support an argument on where the fault lies. I only really see inconsistency and that really falls on all 3 levels.

IF I was vocally disappointed with something... I'm really disappointed in our home record. That is just sorry. Glad, it finally went to a winning record.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Outside of our 10, 6, and 4 game win streaks... We been extremely inconsistent... In fact... We wouldn't be in the playoff race if not for those streaks. But lets not try to use hindsight and blame pacing of all things for our loses. We push for extra possession and blow leads a lot, but it's not like we can seriously push the pace that much to where it completely effects the game. Just player missing bad shots/ open looks. Granted... Gentry "Let loose" style pace is very unpolished here, but we where never contenders this year. Just gate keepers. Then, you have center having to transition to playing a faster style. Those big boys aren't meant to be running up and down the court, but Cousin was really getting comfortable by Jan. Yet, I'm still not 100% sure if "This" pace is suitable for team where the strength is their Bigs instead of our Guards. They got into a groove, before the injury, but I think if we keep Boogie. We might have to slow the pace down to a tick. We have a super low point differential, and it simply shows that this team has a ways to go before being dominate.

Coaching? Talent? Development? I really can't give you an answer on that. You might as well ask what flavor is blue. You can always find analytics, tape, or etc to support an argument on where the fault lies. I only really see inconsistency and that really falls on all 3 levels.

IF I was vocally disappointed with something... I'm really disappointed in our home record. That is just sorry. Glad, it finally went to a winning record.
    Yes. Because we are a highly injured team fighting in an extremely difficult conference. Of course we gave struggled.

Thread Information