Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you get into this years draft?

How would you get into this years draft?

We have 0 draft picks this year and only Frank Jackson and Cheick Diallo as our prospects younger than Davis. I feel like the team needs a little more in terms of potential and upside on the roster, plus rookie scale contracts are cheap. There are a bunch of teams with a trove of picks this year:

Phoenix - Has their own 1st, plus Milwaukee's and Miami's 1sts. They also have their own 2nd and Toronto's 2nd.

-They have 12 players under contract for next season and that's before deciding what to do with Elfrid Payton. So 5 picks is too many. They'll be making deals.

Atlanta - Has their own 1st, plus Houston's and Minnesota's 1sts. They also have their 2nd round pick.

-They have fewer players under contract next year but may be looking to sell a pick.

Philadelphia - Has their own 1st and the Lakers' 1st. They also have FOUR second round picks.

-They have 10 players under contract (assuming they take the team options on Holmes and McConnell) so they'll be selling 2nds I'd assume.

Any deals you'd be aiming to make here? Would you simply try and buy a late 1st? Would you sign and trade Boogie? How would you get into this draft?

We have a 2nd round pick this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We have a 2nd round pick this year.
    It was traded to Chicago in the Niko deal I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    It was traded to Chicago in the Niko deal I thought?
    We originally traded it away to get out of Q-Pon's contract, but got it back in the Mirotic transaction.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    We originally traded it away to get out of Q-Pon's contract, but got it back in the Mirotic transaction.
    Gotcha, still, would be nice to get a pick <40th

You could probably add a future 2nd to our 2nd and get into the 30s. Maybe you could get higher if you have a team with a late 1st and a tax situation that doesn't want guaranteed salary going to a player that won't play, but most likely you can just get higher in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    And NBADraft.net still haven't fixed it on their draft board

The Franchise
    I Would think philly, Phoenix, and Atlanta all have 3 first round picks and multiple second rounders so i hope that’s something that can happen. I also think mirotic and Moore could net a late first rounder.

I’d love for Troy Brown and/or one or 2 of the Martin twins. They all 6’7 and can play pg to sf. I’d like to have a taller SG and SF if possible. Also like Jackson from Maryland. I don’t see any drafts with him in it and saw he declared.

Philly is at the tail end of "THE PROCESS" so I don't see them shipping off those picks. It wouldn't make sense to trade one of those picks unless a very good player was coming back. Think about it, those picks will provide them with players with potential at a very cheap price, while they also have a lot of cap space to work with. They can own the free agent market if they don't tie their cap up with mid tier players. It would be a gross negligence on their part to load up on mid tier players when they still need to lock up their young core long term.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I like this guy, currently mocked for mid second round selection, seems to have legit size, a face-up midrange game, can hit the open 3.

The Franchise
    I like him and the Martin brothers. I’ve seen some mocks they aren’t even in and a few they go end of first top of second. These guys would give us more length at the SG and sf.

I don't think it's the kiss of death for us not to add more picks. It's not like we have this incredibly aging roster that has to be replenished. In the NFL, it matter way more because the rosters are huge. Not as much NBA. Honestly, we could trade away our 2nd and I still think our roster is OK.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    You could probably add a future 2nd to our 2nd and get into the 30s. Maybe you could get higher if you have a team with a late 1st and a tax situation that doesn't want guaranteed salary going to a player that won't play, but most likely you can just get higher in the 2nd.
    You think if there's a good deal to be had, Dell will be all over it like he has been the past 2 draft days in the second round

Having a young Frank Jackson and Diallo is plenty enough. Dell's "young vet" push works because it keeps the roster young but not too young to compete.

The NBA draft just doesn't mean as much as the drafts of the NFL or MLB.

Keep in mind 1st round picks have guaranteed contracts until end round picks.

If we actually draft someone this year, expect it to be the same thing as the last 2 years. We trade up for an early 2nd to get a guy we had a 1st round grade on.

I'm not too insane about drafts. Obviously if we do well, and pick up a good rookie that's great but we still have Frank who hasn't played yet, and Diallo's only 21. If we drafted 21 year old Cheick Diallo this season, we'd be hype about it knowing that (with this skill set he's had this year) he could probably average a double double.

Plus, think about this;

Cheick, Frank, AD, Mirotic, Clark, Solo, Jrue, and Cousins are all 27 or under. That's a young team.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Keep in mind 1st round picks have guaranteed contracts until end round picks.

If we actually draft someone this year, expect it to be the same thing as the last 2 years. We trade up for an early 2nd to get a guy we had a 1st round grade on.
    Seems to be working so far, so we should keep doing it

Mirotic can be traded to the Suns to move up to 15th or 16th. Aaron Holiday anyone?

It actually make sense for Mirotic to be moved. He's too talented to share minutes with AD, Boogie and Cheick, plus Hill, Miller. His contract is expiring next season, along with Diallo and we will probably pay Diallo (restricted) over Mirotic. Love Niko but he don't really fit after this year, mainly due to playing time and how much he will be paid next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Mirotic can be traded to the Suns to move up to 15th or 16th. Aaron Holiday anyone?

It actually make sense for Mirotic to be moved. He's too talented to share minutes with AD, Boogie and Cheick, plus Hill, Miller. His contract is expiring next season, along with Diallo and we will probably pay Diallo (restricted) over Mirotic. Love Niko but he don't really fit after this year, mainly due to playing time and how much he will be paid next summer.
    If you move anyone, Cheick makes more sense than Mirotic. Mirotic's shooting provides a general need, and he's a legit power forward which means he's essentially that third big that we needed and hadn't been able to securely lock up until he arrived. Cheick, as much as he's got energy and has improved a ton, has no three point shot (he'll probably develop one but will it ever be as good as Mirotic? Probably not) and he's always been more of a tweener; a bit too short to be that reliable third big you could put out there to soak up centre minutes.

I've never understood the "too talented to share minutes" idea. You have a guy who fills a role you need, who appears to be happy here and is well liked by the team, who has showed up when you've needed him, and who's locked up for another year, and fills that role exceptionally well, and you're open to move him because he's... Too good?

I don't think his next contract will be huge by the way, if Lou Wil got $7m a year then Mirotic probably won't demand much more, if more at all.

I disagree with you i think niko will be valuable next year as he can play alongside AD AND Boogie and it would allow us to reduce their mpg which could in the long run be good for us as they wouldn’t have to carry us for 35-38mpg and then they could have fresher legs in the playoffs

Why would Dell, or any GM trade a proven player for a draft pick? NEVER HAPPEN. Not even if pick was top 10

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We gotta get more players who can get to the foul line. Create their own offense.

This makes no sense. Any good player fits. Plus Niko is good but he's not so good to demand so many minutes it ruins a rotation with AD and Cousins.

Basketball Guru
    With the success we had this season, I think we go the trade route and build to improve....Niko fit perfect with our big rotation and I guess it will come down to the dollars and his like to the team......IMO diallo is the odd man out now..we can package him and hill to improve the 1-3 positions......if Jackson can provide some scoring then that's a plus.......I don't know who he is but we have to get a good player at the 1-3 positions to go with jrue to get over the hump....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    With the success we had this season, I think we go the trade route and build to improve....Niko fit perfect with our big rotation and I guess it will come down to the dollars and his like to the team......IMO diallo is the odd man out now..we can package him and hill to improve the 1-3 positions......if Jackson can provide some scoring then that's a plus.......I don't know who he is but we have to get a good player at the 1-3 positions to go with jrue to get over the hump....
    Miller and Diallo are the only two guys I could see going anywhere (besides Ajinca)... but even that I don't like the idea of...

KEEP THE SQUAD IN TACT... let's see what happens next year...

Thread Information