Pelicans Report

Thread: Anthony Davis for DPOY?

Anthony Davis for DPOY?

Am I crazy for honestly thinking he deserves it? He's leading the league in both total blocks and blocks per game, again, as well as being top 30 in steals. His DRTG is 103, which is the same as Kawhi's last year and he was second in DPOY voting.

Opponents are shooting 6.3% worse against him than their averages, and 9.3% worse from within 6 feet. For comparison, people only shoot 2.2% worse than their averages against Gobert and 9.1% worse from within 6 feet.

He also has the 4th highest DRPM among players who average at least 30mpg.

Am I crazy or does he have a legit strong case for DPOY?
    Basketball.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    not crazy!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Not crazy at all. He should win DPOY with flying colors. Shouldn't even be a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Not crazy at all. He should win DPOY with flying colors. Shouldn't even be a discussion.
    Well that's what I thought, but I haven't really seen much DPOY discussion at all this season and when I have AD usually gets mentioned as an afterthought if at all. Maybe I'm just missing everything? I don't know, I can be clueless sometimes

Since they won't give him the MVP they need to replace it with DPOY. Nobody in the NBA has a clear case to get the nod over him and I think it's time AD gets awarded for his play. His triple double with blocks could help edge him out imo. After seeing your breakdown of his play defensively I will be upset if he doesn't get DPOY.

It's a tossup between AD and Gobert. AD is better in that he can pretty much cover any area, but on the other hand Gobert is the absolute best in terms of interior defense. Advanced stat nerds will probably go for Embiid, but at least from the games I have seen, I'd go with AD or Gobert.

Quote Originally Posted by HK-47 View Post
    It's a tossup between AD and Gobert. AD is better in that he can pretty much cover any area, but on the other hand Gobert is the absolute best in terms of interior defense. Advanced stat nerds will probably go for Embiid, but at least from the games I have seen, I'd go with AD or Gobert.
    The problem with Gobert is that apart from having only played 47 games, he's averaging slightly fewer blocks, roughly half as many steals per game, and his opponents shoot better against him than they do against AD: especially from ten feet and out.

He's not quite as good this year as AD at rim protection, and not nearly as good on the perimeter. So even if he'd played enough games for me to consider him, AD would still be my pick comfortably.

This just in: Dikembe Mutumbo agrees, give it to AD.

AD and Jrue first team all defense
    AD DPOY

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    AD DPOY
    I don't disagree.

Also interesting fact, since the Allstar break we have the 10th best defensive rating in the league. But we have fallen to 20th in offensive rating.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I don't disagree.

Also interesting fact, since the Allstar break we have the 10th best defensive rating in the league. But we have fallen to 20th in offensive rating.
    the boogie effect?

the boogie effect?
    No. We had already started this trend back at the beginning of 2018. I think it has more to do with familiarity and players playing with each other longer.

AD DPOY
    This

Trey Burke - Most Improved Player
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

AD DPOY
    When Jrue goes off the court, we become the worst team in the league defensively.

Dead last. 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    When Jrue goes off the court, we become the worst team in the league defensively.

Dead last. 30th.
    Jrue is such a great defender that it honestly stumps me that anyone would disagree. It's got to the point where I see him get switched onto Paul George or LeBron in he post and I don't even question it.

I mean who else honestly deserves it?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Trey Burke - Most Improved Player
    Victor O has MIP locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    I mean who else honestly deserves it?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Gobert is up there. Only thing against him is missed games. But even then, he might still win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Gobert is up there. Only thing against him is missed games. But even then, he might still win it.
    He better not.

As I listed in the OP, Gobert averages less blocks, less steals, less boards, and his opponents shoot higher percentages against him than against Davis by fairly large margins. There's no real argument for it being Gobert; yes, I'm aware that his team's defense dramatically improves when he's on the floor, but by that margin Jrue deserves consideration as with him sat we're the worst team in he league on defense and with him on we're top 10.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Somebody on an ESPN list the other day, gave it to Gobert. I disagree, especially when you consider the list in the OP.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Victor O has MIP locked up.
    Id vote for EMEKA!

Thread Information