Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Time to Give Gentry His Due

Please oh please let's not compare the Pelicans to the Warriors.......night and day there.

This forum is depressing... The coaches and GMs aren't reading this forum for advice, so just enjoy the team and try to keep the hating at a minimum. Everybody in here already talking about FA and next year... Anything can happen. Go Pels!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Please oh please let's not compare the Pelicans to the Warriors.......night and day there.
    OMG. Nobody is comparing the two teams, just stating the facts that the team was mediocre before the coaching staff was changed. Of course it's easy to say now after they got Kerr and won two championships, but before that they were not really a contender. It was the Spurs, clippers and OKC with Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I would say the coaches are responsible for making the players aware of why the turnovers are happening, what the players specifically are doing that is leading to the turnovers, and what they can do to correct it.

If I thought the coaches weren't doing that or if a Pels coach hadn't specifically said that is exactly what they were doing then I would listen to people trying to blame the coaches for turnovers.

However after that point, the actual execution is on the players. Gentry isn't the one throwing the ball. To blame him for bad lobs, players dribbling off themselves, or players trying to force a pass is crazy.

I side 100% with Coach McMillan on this issue.
    Part of it could be trying to compete at a fast pace that maybe does not fit all of the players the coaches are using in the rotations. You cannot simply put all the blame on the players.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Part of it could be trying to compete at a fast pace that maybe does not fit all of the players the coaches are using in the rotations. You cannot simply put all the blame on the players.
    Yes in my post to luckyman I address this. I agree the system that Gentry runs causes extra turnovers But my perspective was we were discussing the recent uptick in the bad play that had occurred during our losing streak. It was the same system we have run all year and it's the same system that we had in place during our win streaks so what was the difference? It wasn't that Gentry was suddenly telling players to do things differently. It's that the players started to not play within the confines of the system.

I also think that with the crazy amount of injuries we have had that any consistency of players and the system are difficult to attain because you are constantly having to adjust your lineups and rotations. We have had to battle this all season and it's something that I think makes it harder on both players and coaches. Something that's nobody's fault and yet leads to problems.

Thread Information