Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Time to Give Gentry His Due

I'm not a fan of him as a coach. But like I said, just make the playoffs. Everything else is gravy.

Though I do hope if they squeak in as an 8th seed they might look too replace this staff. The sloppiness this team displays just can't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think Gentry and Dell will both get at least 1 more season.

People had their expectations too High after the 10 game win streak. AD injuring his ankle has been the last straw for us. We cannot survive the crazy amount of injuries we've sustained.
    I agree with you but the injury excuse didn't save Monty after he made the playoffs. I'm with Bronco in that with Gayle at the helm now, who knows what will happen.

Also, Gentry can't make guys hit open shots. Wide open shots at that. All he can do is put them in position to take an open look, which he has done quite well. So, I guess right now i would say if they make the playoffs give them another year, unless somehow we make some noise. If we miss the playoffs I would not really care one way or another if Gayle decides to clean house although that might not help with resigning Cousins. AHHHH, this team is so frustrating!
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 04-01-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    I sure hope so...I'm tired of this trainwreck of a coach called Gentry a career losing head coach.
    While he does have a losing record as a coach (.468; 442-503), and only 2 postseason appearances in 15 years, he has a place in the NBA. Not as a coach, but as an assistant. He is the Norv Turner of the NBA. Great assistant. Players love him. Good guy. Just not the guy you name head chief.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I agree with you but the injury excuse didn't save Monty after he made the playoffs. I'm with Bronco in that with Gayle at the helm now, who knows what will happen.

Also, Gentry can't make guys hit open shots. Wide open shots at that. All he can do is put them in position to take an open look, which he has done quite well. So, I guess right now i would say if they make the playoffs give them another year, unless somehow we make some noise. If we miss the playoffs I would not really care one way or another if Gayle decides to clean house although that might not help with resigning Cousins. AHHHH, this team is so frustrating!
    The firing of Monty was much more than just about barely making the playoffs.

Dell and Monty did not have a traditional coach GM relationship since Monty still communicated directly with Loomis at times too. Firing Monty was just as much about wanting to instill a traditional NBA hierarchy where Dell had full accountability and control over the coaching staff.

They also wanted to bring in a high energy offense that would be entertaining to sell more tickets. Monty's system was anything but that.

They also wanted to hire a cheap coach as they were still going to be paying Minty.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    They also wanted to hire a cheap coach as they were still going to be paying Minty.
    Where was that ever even rumored outside of forums? I never saw anyone with connections to the organization ever even hint at this.

It was always fan speculation.

I've never seen a fanbase claim an organization so cheap and yet in the same Breath claim so many players on the team are overpaid.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-01-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Where was that ever even rumored outside of forums? I never saw anyone with connections to the organization ever even hint at this.

It was always fan speculation.
    BSS is where I heard it.

BSS is where I heard it.
    I remember MM refuting those claims at the time. Saying That they had a specific goal of bringing in a high powered offense.

The whole "Pels are cheap" thing came out after we didn't even interview Thibs. Because so many fans were so hard up on trying to get him hired.

I remember MM refuting those claims at the time. Saying That they had a specific goal of bringing in a high powered offense.

The whole "Pels are cheap" thing came out after we didn't even interview Thibs. Because so many fans were so hard up on trying to get him hired.
    Ah, that makes sense then.

Just the same, the man is what he is. He is a great assistant, but a less than average head coach.

Ah, that makes sense then.

Just the same, the man is what he is. He is a great assistant, but a less than average head coach.
    I find him an average coach but I have issue with trying to pin the teams current play on him. I think we *can* win with him as our head coach, moreso than I thought we could win with Monty. But we just have to stay healthy.

You don't have to pin the current play on him, just look over the entirety of his time here. A 10 game win streak does not a career make. The numbers bear out that he isn't a good coach, a win streak or a lose streak don't change that.

You don't have to pin the current play on him, just look over the entirety of his time here. A 10 game win streak does not a career make. The numbers bear out that he isn't a good coach, a win streak or a lose streak don't change that.
    I judge him based on this team. Not the previous times he was a coach. I feel his offense is good enough for us to win with. I feel we either lack the talent due to injury or player consistency.

But his offense generates the looks.

Yeah, his offense is great, there is no denying that, its his lack of success as a head coach that has everyone wanting. Erman is a fine defensive coach, Gentry is a fine offensive mind, we just need a guy who can marry the both.

Yeah, his offense is great, there is no denying that, its his lack of success as a head coach that has everyone wanting. Erman is a fine defensive coach, Gentry is a fine offensive mind, we just need a guy who can marry the both.
    I mean Gentry is giving Erman full control of the defense. They are already married. No one was criticizing Gentry during the previous win streaks saying he wasn't capable but suddenly we lose 4 straight to playoff teams while AD plays injured in 3 of them and suddenly he is back to being bad? I just don't get it.

If the team wants to go in another direction then that's fine but Gentry is the same coach he was during the win streak. The difference has been player execution.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I mean Gentry is giving Erman full control of the defense. They are already married. No one was criticizing Gentry during the previous win streaks saying he wasn't capable but suddenly we lose 4 straight to playoff teams while AD plays injured in 3 of them and suddenly he is back to being bad? I just don't get it.

If the team wants to go in another direction then that's fine but Gentry is the same coach he was during the win streak. The difference has been player execution.
    Gentry can have a brilliant system and we can praise his offensive mind all day long. There is too much at stake and we are losing games to good teams but that is not a defense for Gentry. AD being hurt is really the biggest problem but how much control do you have over that???

I think Gentry has been outcoached and I think we would get more from out of our players if we had a better coach. But is there a better coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said, he is a great offensive mind, so was Norv Turner. Much like Norv Turner, when promoted to being a head coach, even with top-notch talent around him he proved to be a great assistant.

The win streak was fun, but a 10 game win streak is just a 10 game win streak, and if that is the highlight of your season you probably want to start looking for a guy who can do more than that.

We can't be a franchise that hangs "Division Champions" banners in the rafters.

Gentry’s offensive philosophy is predicated on having elite or all star level guards but our two best players are bigs. Let that sink in for a minute. What’s the point of bringing in Finch if we’re not going to run the offense through our best players? We have too many 2nd/3rd tier guards trying to be the hero at the absolute worst time.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 04-02-2018 at 06:08 AM.

The main issue is there is no excuse in a game of this magnitude, this team comes out with 20 turnovers. Most of them unforced. It's April in a tight playoff race.

ALL that falls squarely on the head coach.

Gentry needs to be given his walking papers if HIS team misses the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The main issue is there is no excuse in a game of this magnitude, this team comes out with 20 turnovers. Most of them unforced. It's April in a tight playoff race.

ALL that falls squarely on the head coach.
    I'd normally agree, and I'm often straight in with the Gentry criticism, but a number of those turnovers were entirely unrelated to him.

When the ball got thrown ahead to Davis, with nobody around for twenty feet, and Davis fumbled it off his own leg out of bounds, that's not on Gentry.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Gentry can have a brilliant system and we can praise his offensive mind all day long. There is too much at stake and we are losing games to good teams but that is not a defense for Gentry. AD being hurt is really the biggest problem but how much control do you have over that???

I think Gentry has been outcoached and I think we would get more from out of our players if we had a better coach. But is there a better coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I disagree. It's such an easy copout to put the blame on the coach. Gentry isn't at fault when our players turn the ball over 21 times. When players miss open shots. Players getting injured.

All of our biggest issues are on the player side. Was Gentry being out coached and not getting everything from our players during the win streak? When Gentry changed the rotations and minutes of players during those 5 games in 6 nights and we ended up winning 4 of three games, was that all him being out coaches, oh or maybe he was just lucky? What has changed? Has Gentry suddenly changed his system or have the players been injured / not executed the system?

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Gentry’s offensive philosophy is predicated on having elite or all star level guards but our two best players are bigs. Let that sink in for a minute. What’s the point of bringing in Finch if we’re not going to run the offense through our best players? We have too many 2nd/3rd tier guards trying to be the hero at the absolute worst time.
    How were we so successful at multiple points this season if that were the case? Gentry got the longest win streak of his career with this team and he had Nash in his prime.

Gentry and Finch have actually done a great job of adjusting the system to fit the players we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd normally agree, and I'm often straight in with the Gentry criticism, but a number of those turnovers were entirely unrelated to him.

When the ball got thrown ahead to Davis, with nobody around for twenty feet, and Davis fumbled it off his own leg out of bounds, that's not on Gentry.
    No, that's Gentry. Your job as head coach is to get your guys laser focused and ready. You do all you can with practice and motivation to have your guys sharp in hugely important games. When Ginobilli, Parker, and even Duncan has brain farts like that what does Pops do? Gets in their face right on the floor to get their minds right.

A lot of what you see on game day come from habits established during practice.

Those 21 turnovers are 100% on Gentry. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No, that's Gentry. Your job as head coach is to get your guys laser focused and ready. You do all you can with practice and motivation to have your guys sharp in hugely important games. When Ginobilli, Parker, and even Duncan has brain farts like that what does Pops do? Gets in their face right on the floor to get their minds right.

A lot of what you see on game day come from habits established during practice.

Those 21 turnovers are 100% on Gentry. Period.
    I disagree.

If you think Gentry has been coaching them in a pro-turnover mindset, I don't know what to tell you. Obviously habits are established in practice, but we've had a bunch of games this season where we haven't had excess turnovers. So what's the difference between those games and this game? Individual player execution.

As for your discussion of Pop, I get the feeling that you don't watch many Spurs games as I do. Pop often rides Manu and Tony (mostly Manu) for long stretches despite the fact that Ginobili is a turnover machine. Visit any spurs forum, and you'll find their fans complaining about how Pop allows turnovers and dumb plays from Ginobili and Parker the exact same way you complain about Gentry allowing Davis and Holiday to turnover for us.

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I disagree.

If you think Gentry has been coaching them in a pro-turnover mindset, I don't know what to tell you. Obviously habits are established in practice, but we've had a bunch of games this season where we haven't had excess turnovers. So what's the difference between those games and this game? Individual player execution.

As for your discussion of Pop, I get the feeling that you don't watch many Spurs games as I do. Pop often rides Manu and Tony (mostly Manu) for long stretches despite the fact that Ginobili is a turnover machine. Visit any spurs forum, and you'll find their fans complaining about how Pop allows turnovers and dumb plays from Ginobili and Parker the exact same way you complain about Gentry allowing Davis and Holiday to turnover for us.

Grass is always greener on the other side.
    As literally as you can say it, the grass is greener in San Antonio even when they are missing their best player. Why? The players they do have execute. Say what you want about Ginobilli, but in his heyday, in big games, he's not going to fumble the ball out of bounds and neither will Parker or any other member of that squad.

Why? Well it can't possibly have anything to do with the coaching over there could it? Of course not. San Antonio just somehow executes without being a turnover machine team. Somehow.

Thread Information