Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Time to Give Gentry His Due

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Time to Give Gentry His Due

I don't make threads. But I have to freaking say this. Alvin Gentry has done a good job with this team. Can't just arbitrarily assign credit to the players for victories and all the blame on the coaches or GM when we play poorly.

We've shown lots of guts, confidence, and skill this past month and change. Gentry has done a good job. Not perfect. He's not the greatest coach in the league...but he might be a coach of the year candidate. And rightfully so. He'll get a contract extension based on his play of late. I've lobbied for him to be fired and I was wrong. Not like we have loads of exceptional talent here. Just AD and Jrue and some decent guys around him. A team like the Rockets can't help be win. Same with the Warriors or Cavs. Just teams loaded with players.

They're playing good basketball. Not perfect. But good enough to get a playoff spot and make a go of it in a 7 game series.

Yeah I’ve been done bashing him and Demps for a while now. I’d have to be pretty stubborn to continue to boo him. They don’t even announce him with the starters anymore. Glad we’ve turned it around. That’s all I can say!
    RIP FlyGirl

Pels first team in almost 40 yrs to win all three in a B2B2B

Another thing besides 5 games in 6 nights...the owner of our franchise passed away. A tremendous amount of pressure on the entire organization considering the Pels always have been considered the other franchise. But don't sell Ms. Gayle short. If I recall correctly, she was very influential in getting TB to buy them in the first place. Her showing up at practice on Friday was huge as evident in their play against the Rockets. And they just willed their way to wins the last two nights. They are excited and watching the 'Bench Mob' has been fun too.

Hey, I started the Callipari thread, but at the time we were trying to recover from the train wreck of losing DC. Since we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves we've been on a pretty torrid roll.

This past week has really got me excited for the future.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Pels first team in almost 40 yrs to win all three in a B2B2B
    Dat true grit

Yep, as much as I've bashed Gentry throughout the season (and as much as he has totally deserved it at times) he has managed to strung together a bunch of games where he's coached pretty well.

No one's gonna mistake him for coach Pop anytime soon, but his job isn't in danger right now and he's done some commendable work recently. Props.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I've wanted Gentry as gone as late as this season, but damn this guy has won me over in a few months. From defending this team to the end, to earning the respect of the players, to leading this team to go 4-1 in a 5 game in 6 day stretch. It's damn impressive and I'm loving what I'm seeing.

I give him big props for rallying the troops after Boogie’s injury. Job well done.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I've been a supporter of his since day 1.

Broken clocks or just finally figuring it out, they deserve another year.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I was not a huge fan of Gentry or Dell since I thought Monty got fired unfairly after making the playoffs, but you got to give credit were credit is due. Dell and Gentry have done great this year. They could of just folded after Cousins injury, but they rallied the players. This has been one of the most exciting Pelicans team to watch in years. They both deserve another year.

As someone who has been called a Gentry defender multiple times throughout this season, I'm glad the narrative has finally started to change around him. Even the absolute best schemes need the players to execute. Our players seem to have finally turned a corner and that has made a huge difference.

Gentry does deserve credit though for how he's handled rotations since Cousins has been gone. Especially this 3 game stretch. It was a masterful game of chess he played.

Demps I think secured his job as soon as he made the Niko trade. Between Cousins, the summer signings of Rondo / Miller / Ian, having the nerve to give Jrue a big contract instead of letting him walk, trading for Niko, then finding Okafor the past 18-24 months of moves have been amazing.

I almost started thus same thread at the tail end of the 10 game streak. I've been one of the folks that didn't think Gentry was a good hire. Especially the way Monty was let go. Well, winning cures all ills as they say. I'm all in now and Gentry has done an excellent job this season and amazing since Boogie went down. I'm going to go ahead and say he deserves another contract. But I reserve the right to complain! Lol!

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    As someone who has been called a Gentry defender multiple times throughout this season, I'm glad the narrative has finally started to change around him. Even the absolute best schemes need the players to execute. Our players seem to have finally turned a corner and that has made a huge difference.

Gentry does deserve credit though for how he's handled rotations since Cousins has been gone. Especially this 3 game stretch. It was a masterful game of chess he played.

Demps I think secured his job as soon as he made the Niko trade. Between Cousins, the summer signings of Rondo / Miller / Ian, having the nerve to give Jrue a big contract instead of letting him walk, trading for Niko, then finding Okafor the past 18-24 months of moves have been amazing.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry has proven a lot of people wrong. This team is the best pelicans squad since cp3, dwest, and chandler.

Gentry has to get us wins against Portland and Cavs and OKC to really separate himself from good coaches to be in great nba coach category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I almost started thus same thread at the tail end of the 10 game streak. I've been one of the folks that didn't think Gentry was a good hire. Especially the way Monty was let go. Well, winning cures all ills as they say. I'm all in now and Gentry has done an excellent job this season and amazing since Boogie went down. I'm going to go ahead and say he deserves another contract. But I reserve the right to complain! Lol!
    I reserve the right to start disliking Gentry again if we miss the playoffs. So, should he be fired if we miss out? Or does he still deserve a new contract.

Edited to add, hopefully we can still pull this game out

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Even now, it's hard to blame Gentry. AD looks like he's burnt out. And we have guys who are low to mid-tier support characters acting as DPS or tank characters.

We need more...but no one is capable of providing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Even now, it's hard to blame Gentry.
    This. Gentry isn't at fault for this. We are a highly injured team in an extremely competitive western conference.

Do you guys feel like he's done enough to get another contract? It's just frustrating. I'm wondering what will happen since Monty was sent packing after he actually made the post season.

Or it could be an elaborate plan by Gentry to get the seventh seed so we can play a banged up Warriors team in the first round!

I wouldn’t give him another contract, and if we did I would make it super team friendly. He is in the midst of one of his broken clock seasons (a broken clock is right twice a day).

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Do you guys feel like he's done enough to get another contract? It's just frustrating. I'm wondering what will happen since Monty was sent packing after he actually made the post season.

Or it could be an elaborate plan by Gentry to get the seventh seed so we can play a banged up Warriors team in the first round!
    I think Gentry and Dell will both get at least 1 more season.

People had their expectations too High after the 10 game win streak. AD injuring his ankle has been the last straw for us. We cannot survive the crazy amount of injuries we've sustained.

If we make the playoffs I think it would be hard not to give Gentry/Demps another season, if we don't?

I'm not as certain now that Gayle is in charge and the mindset of the top brass could be trending in any number of directions now.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    If we make the playoffs I think it would be hard not to give Gentry/Demps another season, if we don't?

I'm not as certain now that Gayle is in charge and the mindset of the top brass could be trending in any number of directions now.
    I sure hope so...I'm tired of this trainwreck of a coach called Gentry a career losing head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    I sure hope so...I'm tired of this trainwreck of a coach called Gentry a career losing head coach.
    I'm tired of hot takes by fans with no understanding of basketball, but we don't get everything we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm tired of hot takes by fans with no understanding of basketball, but we don't get everything we want.
    X100

Thread Information