Pelicans Report

Thread: Starting 5...

Starting 5...

I haven't been around here much lately, so I know I'm not bringing much new the table. I've been having a blast watching this team, and I'm quite attached this 17-18 squad. It's a lot like the 07-08 team, where I wanted the core of that team to stick around and win for years. If E'twaun turns the E'twaun of last night, I would love our starting 5 of the future to be Rondo, Holiday, Moore, Davis, and Cousins for years to come. Is this a pipe dream? Or is there a better scenario? I know Rondo is 10+ yrs, but he's such a cerebral and fluid player, His game seems to maximize energy conservation, which probably helps with basketball longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by FeathrMan View Post
    I haven't been around here much lately, so I know I'm not bringing much new the table. I've been having a blast watching this team, and I'm quite attached this 17-18 squad. It's a lot like the 07-08 team, where I wanted the core of that team to stick around and win for years. If E'twaun turns the E'twaun of last night, I would love our starting 5 of the future to be Rondo, Holiday, Moore, Davis, and Cousins for years to come. Is this a pipe dream? Or is there a better scenario? I know Rondo is 10+ yrs, but he's such a cerebral and fluid player, His game seems to maximize energy conservation, which probably helps with basketball longevity.
    I don't think it's a pipe dream. This time is great with the current lineup. there is NO FAT! It's fantastic... even when we had CP3, West and Chandler... we had a lot of fat. Not the case anymore. I say keep Rondo as long as we can. He should be easy to find a replacement for in a few years, but he definitely gives the team the spark it needs (we lead the league in assists)... He throws that Crescent City connection to AD better than anyone... Clark and Moore have been fantastic this year. Miller has to figure it out ... he was great earlier in the season with Boogie on the floor, but will become expendable if he doesn't find a role.

Moore is too small to be a true SF. I would like Diallo to work on his jump shot and be our 3. He has great length for the position and brings the wood on defense. THAT may be a pipe dream but with medical marijuana coming to Metry it will be a sweet dream.

I think we need another SF that is taller for matchup purposes. I just don't see Moore doing well against a KD on Defense. Moore should start majority of the time, but when we play taller and better small forwards then the other will start. Could it be Hill? Who knows, but the future is bright.

Moore should come off the bench. Never hurts to have an experienced sharp shooter off the bench. And frankly Moore has played poorly lately. He always has a breakout game a few times per month when he gets hot. Otherwise he even looks like a good player to have off the bench.

Either stick with Solo at the 3 or find another starter there.

Thanks for the replies! I guess Cheik does have a pretty high ceiling. I could definitely get excited about that. I'm seeing Moore's size disadvantage on D in the first quarter tonight

let's give Solo the rest of the season to see if he could be that guy at SF.

It all depends how much money Rondo wants, or if he's more interested in winning now. He can't bring it every night anymore but playoff Rondo is still pretty darn good. If he is willing to stay around that 3m/yr mark then I'd want to bring him back. Use part of the MLE on Ian Clark. I actually think our core is pretty solid with Jrue playing at this level. Okafor makes Ajinca expendable too. I wouldn't mind a package deal for a SF but also Hill might give us enough on that end once he's fully healthy. Think about it, with AD, Cousins, Jrue starting you simply can't have another high usage SF anyway. You need a 3 & D guy. Hill without a doubt has the defense, if he gets his shot up to 35% or so then that should be good enough on the 3 part.

Get healthy next year and we can make a push.

Following the "DO IT BIG" theme, would love to see on the floor all at once: Jrue, DMC, CD. DM and AD.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Following the "DO IT BIG" theme, would love to see on the floor all at once: Jrue, DMC, CD. DM and AD.
    When we sat down in our seats last night, there was a discussion amongst about 8 STH's regarding Rondo. 1) on the lighter side - 5 said Rondo was going to. Go off because of IT. 3 of us said Rondo was going to go off because he was gonna show that Doe was gonna school Zo . & man, did he ever. & 2) Alvin Gentry will add 3 yrs to Rondos career because of the relationship. Gentry's personality has allowed Rondo to be a player coach to these young guys. All of the players love him.

Either Rondo or Moore needs to be on the bench while we have a true SF in the starting lineup. We can't continue getting by for another season with our SF standing at 6'4. All of the good teams we will see in the playoffs will give us problems here and be a big mismatch. Personally I would rather see Rondo run with the bench while staggering minutes and getting time with AD, Boogie, and others throughout the game. This team needs a SF badly if Hill isn't going to be that guy. I'm really hoping we make a run at Henzonja this offseason. He is a young and affordable option that still has a ton of development to be had. He's a perfect fit here for what we need and would give us a nice group of SFs with Hill/Miller/Henzonja.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Either Rondo or Moore needs to be on the bench while we have a true SF in the starting lineup. We can't continue getting by for another season with our SF standing at 6'4. All of the good teams we will see in the playoffs will give us problems here and be a big mismatch. Personally I would rather see Rondo run with the bench while staggering minutes and getting time with AD, Boogie, and others throughout the game. This team needs a SF badly if Hill isn't going to be that guy. I'm really hoping we make a run at Henzonja this offseason. He is a young and affordable option that still has a ton of development to be had. He's a perfect fit here for what we need and would give us a nice group of SFs with Hill/Miller/Henzonja.
    Herzonia would be ok, but bringing back Luke Babbitt might be a better move

As my wife says...Is that Babbitt the Rabbit...I just smile and laugh.

Henzonja might not be the answer but Babbit absolutely is not. The guy brings absolutely nothing outside of a good 3 point shot. He's more of a small ball 4 who can't guard SFs or PFs being a liability on the court. JMO but Babbit is not the answer. Henzonja has all of the tools and skill set we are looking for at the SF spot. The question with Henzonja is will he continue to work and develop his game. Since $ will likely be an issue hes the guy I'm going after.

Solo is a 38% three point jump shot away from being the long-term answer at the 3. He just needs to be a guy that defenders aren't comfortable sagging off and allowing open looks. That way you can keep the floor spaced for Cousins and AD.

His lack of rebounding used to be a real problem, but in a Cousins/Davis/Jrue world it is much less of an issue.

Jrue also needs to spend a lot of time on catch and shoot this offseason. His evolution as a cutter is great, but long-term he needs to be able to play off Davis/Cousins by being someone that can reliably catch and shoot.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-23-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Hezonja seems a decent gamble but unfortunately his best game this season where the one he played small ball PF, so not really a position of need.

One name to keep an eye on is Kelly Oubre Jr. With Wall's extension, the wizard are poised to leave in tax hell and invested tons on money on other players at his positions (namely Beal and Porter), so they will not be able to retain him once he hit the FA, so they might be willing to listen to offers from other teams to avoid to lose him for nothing. He's really young, proved he can defend and shoot (his FT% indicates that he may be able to improve greatly from 37%). Also the fact that he's a Nola native is the icing on the cake.

To get him, Pels might have to take on bad contracts (namely Mahinmi's) and send an asset like draft pick or Diallo but something like : Moore+Ajinca's expiring+ Miller for Oubre + Mahinmi could be enough.

While I'm all for Oubre, I can't imagine we will be willing to take back *any* bad contracts with our own cap situation that's coming up.

Thread Information