Pelicans Report

Thread: The Rondo Effect

Pelicans The Rondo Effect

Before this season started I was extremely excited by the Rondo signing. I always felt he would be more to this team than assists and points. He brings smarts ,heart confidence and a will to win that has spread to our players . JRUE has been the one player I see confidence level is through the roof. The talent was always there now he believes he can drop 30 a night on anyone and lock them up . AD HAS ALSO Benefited from the RONDO EFFECT. What's y'all thoughts on this?

Playoff rondo is great rondo. Just needs to play about 8min in the 4th quarter

While it's not really possible to assess or measure the effect Rondo has had on Jrue specifically, I think it's telling that Jrue continues to go out of his way and credit Rondo for his play during post-game interviews. Rondo has returned the favor, complimenting Jrue on his play and lobbying for him to make first-team all-defense. Rondo's on-court chemistry with AD is also evident. AD has benefited from a number of easy looks close to the basket, and those looks have largely resulted from Rondo's IQ and vision and his ability to thrive in and conduct a fast-pace system.

From a more macro standpoint, it has also been encouraging to see the positive impact Rondo has had on the locker room, which by all accounts, strongly correlates with what we see on the floor: a cohesive and professional team that cares about winning. His attitude and confrontational reputation were big question marks coming in, but have largely been non-issues.

While my feelings on Rondo have fluctuated as the year has progressed, I would like and expect Rondo to return next year. Continuity is an asset, and due to his increased usage and familiarity with the team, it would be in our best interest to bring him back if the price is right.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 03-07-2018 at 03:00 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

...we get to go McDonalds
    I haven't watched Rondo all that closely, but his lack of care on defense sometimes stands out. My personal preference would be to have Rondo as our backup PG; a starter should be able to stay in front of his guy. That said, if he's coasting until playoffs, that works for me.

I know a lot of people argue with me or think it's a joke when I say that I think Rondo is at part to blame for how Jrue has elevated his game. It seems many who are in the Pels Blog circle do so much research into how Rondo is a bad fit, etc, that they find it hard to believe or accept that Rondo could have an affect outside of his numbers from a mental aspect on Jrue.

To me the evidence is pretty clear. There has been a change this year in Jrue that was never seen before ever. While coaches clearly have a part in that, I don't think it's fair for people to look past Rondo teaching Jrue some of the finer points of the game. Jrue is humble enough to listen too and they spent a ton of time this summer just playing ball together.

I wouldn't say it's all on Rondo, and I fully understand the limitations of Rondo on the court. But I think it can be both. He can still get credit for his influence on Jrue and criticism for his play on court sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I haven't watched Rondo all that closely, but his lack of care on defense sometimes stands out. My personal preference would be to have Rondo as our backup PG; a starter should be able to stay in front of his guy. That said, if he's coasting until playoffs, that works for me.
    I completely agree. I'm a Rondo fan I just think he's a terrible fit in the starting lineup. Love him as a bench facilitator mostly controlling the ball and what happens. I like ball movement in the starting lineup and you don't get much of that unless it's initiated by Rondo. This team has continued to win and play great so obviously he hasn't been that bad. Still the numbers don't lie and the starting players minus Rondo have been a much better and more efficient group.

Basketball Guru
    jrue has said that he dont have to worry about setting up players and making sure AD and boogie get their shots....with rondo and boogie running the point, all jrue has to do is be selfish and score and play defense....jrue is having his best pelican season with boogie and rondo running the team......so yes rondo is responsible for half of jrue attack mold because rondo is running the team and have taken that role off of jrue......jrue is being selfish on offense right now which imo is making jrue a top 5 two way player in he league.........its the reason why some of us wanted a cp3 or rondo on the team next to jrue....general rondo has this........rondo is a vet and know when to turn it on like now when boogie went down and some of us know rondo was going to ball out in the playoffs like he did in chicago until he got hurt.....

We all know that stats tell half truth but some of yall like to use them to back up certain arguments you make knowing at the end of the day,, the stats will tell half truths lol......

Honestly, I think there has been a change in both Jrue and AD this year. I will have to credit Cousins and Rondo on AD and Jrue becoming more mature and elevating their game. It does a lot to someone's confidence when two great players are telling you how great you can be and coaching you up. Adding veteran talent to help AD and Jrue mature was a genius idea. I give Dell lots of credit on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Honestly, I think there has been a change in both Jrue and AD this year. I will have to credit Cousins and Rondo on AD and Jrue becoming more mature and elevating their game. It does a lot to someone's confidence when two great players are telling you how great you can be and coaching you up. Adding veteran talent to help AD and Jrue mature was a genius idea. I give Dell lots of credit on that one.
    I was thinking the same thing both AD and Jrue are playing at another level when we get Cousins back next year we’re going to be tough when we start to gel again .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information