Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jrue a top 5 guard now?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Jrue a top 5 guard now?

Jrue averaged 28ppg and 44 percent 3point shooting, got 4 steals and 3 blocks in the last five games.

Lillard averaged 27 and 32% 3point shooting in last five games. He had 6 steals and 1 block in past five games.

Trailblazers had tougher opponents than pelicans in the last 5 games. But we’ve beaten tough teams, Boston, Houston, including the blazers.

I’m not suggesting Jrue is better than Lillard. But could we argue that he’s not far behind the best guards in the league? He is starting to look unstoppable. He’s been very consistent. His shooting has improved. Decisiveness has improved. He’s driving to the basket and finishing. His defense is elite. His confidence is up and I can’t ignore the obvious changes we see in his game. What do y’all think? Where would you rank him right now among other guards of/sg?

1. Harden
    2. Curry
    3. Lillard
    4. Irving
    5. Paul
    6. Westbrook
    7. Wall
    8. Klay Thompson
    9. Paul George
    10. Holiday
    11. Oladipo
    12. Beal
    13. Walker
    14. Gary Harris
    15. Lowry

I didn’t put butler in there because I think of him as a SF but if he’s more of a guard then I would list him at 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pelicanchamp; 03-05-2018 at 12:14 AM.

That list looks about right.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    That list looks about right.
    Holiday looks like one of the most improved players in the league. If he keeps playing this way, we keep winning and we see some clutch performances from him I will want to rank him close to top 5. His defense is better than 90 percent of the guards on the list I made. Something is different about Jrue right now. If it continues and we keep AD on fire along with multiple shooters and good defenders we could get a high seed in the playoffs AND get past the first round. Let’s see how we do in March. I think we will win almost every game.

DeRozan?

So the question then becomes whether or not Jrue deserves the Most Improved Player Award. I think he should absolutely be in the running - and has a better chance of winning that than AD winning MVP (although AD is my MVP).

Beal is definitely over Holiday. Definitely over a number of other guards as well.

Oladipo you could make the case but he has been their best guard on a playoff team with better numbers than Jrue.

Jrue’s been a borderline allstar talent this year and that is incredibly high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    So the question then becomes whether or not Jrue deserves the Most Improved Player Award. I think he should absolutely be in the running - and has a better chance of winning that than AD winning MVP (although AD is my MVP).
    While those of us who watch him 82 games and can see beyond the box score how much he has improved, it is going to go to a player like Oladipo, Capella, Jaylen Brown, Lou Williams, Dinwiddie or someone else that has both the statistical wow and the buzz around their turnaround. Jrue is pretty much an afterthought outside of the Nola press. And objectively, most of those other players have a stronger case.

For instance Oladipo went from a 15ppg under achiever to a 24ppg player with greater efficiency and an uptick in every major statistical category and is leading a playoff team. There is just no way Jrue competes with that.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-05-2018 at 01:39 AM.

How is Klay Thompson, Paul George and John Wall better than Jrue?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    How is Klay Thompson, Paul George and John Wall better than Jrue?
    How are they not?

I understand why you've listed him, but I cannot take Paul George seriously as a guard.
    Basketball.

Yeah he's a small forward

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    DeRozan isn't even on this list. That's crazy.

Looking at this list a second time, I can't believe I didn't notice you put Lillard above Westbrook, Kyrie, CP3, and Wall. Wow.

Wall, Lillard, Paul, Westbrook, Walker, Lowry, and Curry shouldn't be on the list. They are scorers outside of Paul but also have the ball in their hands much more. Derozan probably should be on the list. Paul George absolutely not.

Way too much noise in your list.

Hahaha so funny how much people will scrutinize a list...It is just a list guys calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Hahaha so funny how much people will scrutinize a list...It is just a list guys calm down.
    It's human nature to get triggered by rankings. I don't know why but it just is

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Hahahaha I know! I just think it is funny. I am more excited that the Pels are playing so well! Our future is truly looking bright for this team. I am so excited bc this season was almost a home run or blow it all up. Did not want to blow it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Humans are pattern seeking animals. When we have a pattern we know to be incorrect, it grates on us because we recognise when something is just not right and historically (as in, way back when we were hunter gatherers) a failure to accurately recognise or compile an accurate pattern could mean immense danger or possibly death.

Also, people are wrong. On the internet. That cannot be allowed.

I think it comes down to how much you value defense where Jrue will fall.

He will never be the offensive threat that Curry or Lillard or Kyrie are. But you have to hide all 2 of those guys on defense.

The way I try and look at it is:

Curry A+ offense / D defense

Golden State has the ability to cover over his lack on the defensive end because of other players so he is allowed to shine.

Jrue B- offense / A- defense.

If you have the team that can carry the defensive load then Curry is clearly the better choice because he just takes over and goes nuclear offensively sometimes and you never have to worry about his handles at the end of the game.

But if Jrue keeps up his recent play he is for sure a top 10 guard and probably a top 3 two way guard in the league.

Also, y'all know about Jrue's little bro Aaron? NBAdraft.net has him going 41st in this years draft

We can't draft Jrue's brother because we already need to draft Diallo's.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Humans are pattern seeking animals. When we have a pattern we know to be incorrect, it grates on us because we recognise when something is just not right and historically (as in, way back when we were hunter gatherers) a failure to accurately recognise or compile an accurate pattern could mean immense danger or possibly death.

Also, people are wrong. On the internet. That cannot be allowed.
    You mean like recogniSe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    You mean like recogniSe ?
    I'm from England. Here, recognise uses an S, not a Z.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm from England. Here, recognise uses an S, not a Z.
    Not my fault.

Thread Information