Pelicans Report

Thread: AD: MVP Mode

AD: MVP Mode

I believe that almost every talking head has James Harden sharpied in on this years MVP trophy, and he really has had an amazing season, but with Boogie going down AD is dealing with less talent than anyone in the NBA, but his team keeps winning. I honestly wonder if AD’s late season success (and by extension the teams) can steal the MVP from Harden.

Thoughts?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

There are a few outlets out there who are creating onto the AD 4 MVP Bandwagon, and I think we can all get behind that.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.co...-antetokounmpo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspi...1823355666/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...ality.amp.html

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I believe that almost every talking head has James Harden sharpied in on this years MVP trophy, and he really has had an amazing season, but with Boogie going down AD is dealing with less talent than anyone in the NBA, but his team keeps winning. I honestly wonder if AD’s late season success (and by extension the teams) can steal the MVP from Harden.

Thoughts?
    If MVP still meant most valuable player and ad keeps playing like this? I don't think there would be a doubt he deserves it but it's the award that usually goes to the best team with the best player unfortunately

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    If MVP still meant most valuable player and ad keeps playing like this? I don't think there would be a doubt he deserves it but it's the award that usually goes to the best team with the best player unfortunately

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Luckily we have precedent of players who aren't the best and who aren't top seeds being MVP now: Russ.

And of course, plenty of history of Harden getting robbed for MVP.
    Basketball.

Harden is the heavy favorite. Final seedings will be important, but Harden also has the career achievement angle working to his advantage.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

It's Harden award, but man has Davis been on another level lately. If he doesn't fall off he should be top 5 without question.

The way I see it is this: we play the Rockets twice. If we beat them just once, we'll tie the season series. If we do that, finish as a top 4 seed, and AD averages 30/12 from this point forward, I think he's the rightful MVP.

If we lose both rockets games, finish below 4th seed, or AD reverts back to how he played immediately after Boogie went down, Harden keeps it.

The rockets remind me of the Carolina Panthers...they get media hype ,but a little overrated to me and will get beat come playoff time..AD abused the rockets front court so bad that harden even took a shot at him and got abused. We are playing team ball right now and we have shooters. so i like our shot.Only gentry can ruin it with the wrong rotations like putting in that new pg yesterday vs san antonio and not having rondo or jrue out there with the 2nd unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The way I see it is this: we play the Rockets twice. If we beat them just once, we'll tie the season series. If we do that, finish as a top 4 seed, and AD averages 30/12 from this point forward, I think he's the rightful MVP.

If we lose both rockets games, finish below 4th seed, or AD reverts back to how he played immediately after Boogie went down, Harden keeps it.
    The narrative this season is way too strong for Harden not to get it

We could finish 1st seed and AD still wouldn't be crowned MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    The narrative this season is way too strong for Harden not to get it

We could finish 1st seed and AD still wouldn't be crowned MVP
    I disagree. If we were to be first seed we'd pretty much have to go undefeated from now until the end. If we had a 28 game winning streak to close off the season with AD playing this way and Boogie out, AD would be a lock.

Not taking anything from AD who has been an absolute monster, but this is Harden's award. He's absolutely destroying the league this season. The only way AD can steal it from him is if he averages like 40-15 for the rest of the season and drags us to a top 4 seed. And even then it would be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Not taking anything from AD who has been an absolute monster, but this is Harden's award. He's absolutely destroying the league this season. The only way AD can steal it from him is if he averages like 40-15 for the rest of the season and drags us to a top 4 seed. And even then it would be close.
    You say that, but is he actually "destroying the league"? His individual numbers are down from last year aside from scoring, which is only up 2ppg, and his usage rate is an ungodly 36.5%, so he's almost being forced into it by the system.

This isn't surprising, D'Antoni teams do this every year: they buy in, they go insane in the regular season, guards have their stats inflated beyond normality, and then they get thrashed in the post season.

Dan Patrick stated on his show, that AD would finish third in the MVP vote. He also said that he played on a bad team? I think he meant bad MVP team...struggles to get attention, but to a point winning cures all of that and we are finally starting to win consistently.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You say that, but is he actually "destroying the league"? His individual numbers are down from last year aside from scoring, which is only up 2ppg, and his usage rate is an ungodly 36.5%, so he's almost being forced into it by the system.

This isn't surprising, D'Antoni teams do this every year: they buy in, they go insane in the regular season, guards have their stats inflated beyond normality, and then they get thrashed in the post season.
    Well he should have won MVP last year too so.....

and this is also a regular season award so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Well he should have won MVP last year too so.....

and this is also a regular season award so.....
    Yes, its a regular season award. My mention of D'Antoni's repeated playoff failures was to demonstrate the pattern not to critique Harden's MVP chances.

That said, if you ask some people Harden should have 3+ MVP awards after this season. If that's you, then I just don't know what to say to you.

I'm the biggest AD fan but imo he should be 2nd to Harden unless the rest of the season is a drastic difference in numbers between the 2. I still believe AD will have his chance and could do even better with a more facilitating Boogie next year. Harden has been incredible and has the record to show for it. Durant has also gone on a tear as well. I think for AD to win it our record is going to need to be in that top tier to edge out someone like Harden.

Thread Information