Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans sign Emeka for remainder of season.

OkaMORE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOATkafor deserved it. Really earned his spot.
    Basketball.

Nice pickup from Demps. Emeka is our DPOY. Happy for him.

There doesn't appear to be an option for next year, which sucks. But credit to Dell for finding another contributor off the scraps. Okafor has provided the team with the sort of toughness and inside presence we desperately needed in our third big.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Work on that 8ft jumper

Could we not just resign him next year for the vet minimum? I think he'd take it, since we were the team that took the chance on bringing him back and we can guarantee him 15 minutes a game: he shouldn't expect too much more at his age and injury status.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Could we not just resign him next year for the vet minimum? I think he'd take it, since we were the team that took the chance on bringing him back and we can guarantee him 15 minutes a game: he shouldn't expect too much more at his age and injury status.
    That's what I was hoping we would do. I think Okafor would take it too, which makes me think it wasn't offered in the first place.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-26-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Props to Dell. Adding okafor and Niko actually has helped the team a lot on defense. I can’t wait till Niko starts hitting more 3pointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    That's what I was hoping we would do. I think Okafor would take it too, which makes me think it wasn't offered in the first place.
    I hope that's not the case. I have no evidence for it, but I'd like to think that if Dell saw the sense in signing him for the rest of this season, he understands his use for the team and would love to have that next year too. Who knows though?

No details have been announced for the contract so it could still be a team option for next year we don't know.

That said, I'm certainly not going to sweat the structure of the deal. It's clear Dell knows how to make those contracts because he did it with Liggins. So if for some reason he didn't do it for Okafor then there is probably a reason why that those outside looking in aren't taking into account.

The good news is, either way Okafor is here for the rest of the season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Make Emeka Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Make Emeka Great Again
    #MEGA

As 42 noted on twitter.
    Sometimes it is better capwise and financially not to give second year not guaranteed.
    Pels will be hardcapped/taxed whole season.
    And still can sign him for minimum.
    Also reimbursement of minimum contract from the NBA is bigger for one year deal.
    Long story short - lack of second year is not a problem.

Okafor's deal WAS a two year deal.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/st...950009862?s=19

That's why I said don't sweat it. Dell has got the small deals on wrap. Knows how to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Okafor's deal WAS a two year deal.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/st...950009862?s=19

That's why I said don't sweat it. Dell has got the small deals on wrap. Knows how to do them.
    For swizzle, but like Pawel posted above, makes sense that they would not opt in for that, but just sign him to a new vet min. deal. But I guess this is just in case he outplays the vet min., and MM noted that the unguaranteed option could also be used in trades if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    For swizzle, but like Pawel posted above, makes sense that they would not opt in for that, but just sign him to a new vet min. deal. But I guess this is just in case he outplays the vet min., and MM noted that the unguaranteed option could also be used in trades if needed.
    Their are pluses and minuses to both lines. The possible discount we'd receive to signing him for 1 and then 1 this summer is outweighed by being able to lock him up for the minimum and as mentioned, to fit in trades. With the vast lack of depth at the 5 position we have going into next season it's probably worth keeping him around for at least 1 more year to give Cousins a breather.

Thread Information