Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Pelicans vs Bucks game thread

Quote Originally Posted by deiondeion View Post
    In mentioning Mirotic, believe it or not he hasn't been great since he became a Pel:

16-59 (27.6%) from 3
    44-112 (39.3%) from the field
    13-19 (68.4%) from the FT line
    IMO it's a 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts' situation. And those stats don't take into account his defensive contributions either.

Shooting %s should come up with time and familiarity. I'm not worried.

My only real gripe with him so far is jacking some ill advised threes when he's not balanced and there's a guy right in his face. He needs to cut them out

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    IMO it's a 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts' situation. And those stats don't take into account his defensive contributions either.

Shooting %s should come up with time and familiarity. I'm not worried.

My only real gripe with him so far is jacking some ill advised threes when he's not balanced and there's a guy right in his face. He needs to cut them out
    Even with them being I'll advised most have been on point only missing by a little

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Jrue is always going to leave much to be desired on the offensive end, particularly when it comes to making intelligent decisions in key situations. With that said, he is playing the best basketball of his career and undoubtedly living up to the price of his contract. Whether he keeps this level of play up is TBD, but I am more than happy to eat crow right now. We need this sort of production out of him on a regular basis if we have any hope in making the postseason this year.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-26-2018 at 01:51 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Jrue has actually been clutch the last two games. He’s improving in multiple ways. Look how aggressive he is now. He doesn’t hesitate like he used to. He’s attacking the basket a lot more and he’s finishing. His defense is in the top 15 of guards in this league. He deserves his contract. I’m glad they worked I out.

Jrue’s bbiq is probably higher especially now he’s playing with Rondo. I think he’s going to continue playing at a high level because he is a star. He had injuries and some bad luck. He was an all star with the 76ers. He’s still young and he’s playing better than ever. I love that we have him on our team. Vets like rondo and Okafor also have me feeling excited. When is Hill coming back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was among those critical of giving Jrue a $125 million deal (I thought he should cap out at around $20 million per over four or five years), but I really like how he's playing. Early in the year it seemed he was trying to force himself to be a classic catch-and-shoot two guard. But over the last two months or so, he's modified his game becoming much more of a penetrating, attacking scorer. Rather than loitering around the arc, he's getting into the lane, being creative at the rim and freely taking mid-range pull ups when the defense slacks off. It's his game and he's been much better since allowing himself to get back to it, kind of like a poor man's DeMar DeRozan (though not that poor). I especially like when he posts up smaller guards in the paint. He's a very creative scorer and all credit to Jrue and the coaching staff for letting him play his game rather than being a prisoner to analytics.

As for Mirotic, I think you need a much bigger sample size. Changing teams, systems, etc...Don't think we should be too alarmed that he's still searching a bit for his stroke and overall game. I've been impressed with his hustle, willingness to defend and passing. I think the rest will come around. If and when it does, and if we can a little something out of Solo, we are solid to make the playoffs and maybe even avoid having to play the Warriors or Rockets in the first round...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Can you imagine if Hill comes back and plays 15-20min and guards opposing SF it could really improve our team. Moore guards guys 5-6 inches taller than him every night. It will be interesting to see Hill start at SF and have Moore come off the bench. If Hill is prepared I say give him 15-20min a game, be conservative at first. If he’s doing well it will make a bigger difference than people realize. YouTube him and watch how well he guards star players.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Can you imagine if Hill comes back and plays 15-20min and guards opposing SF it could really improve our team. Moore guards guys 5-6 inches taller than him every night. It will be interesting to see Hill start at SF and have Moore come off the bench. If Hill is prepared I say give him 15-20min a game, be conservative at first. If he’s doing well it will make a bigger difference than people realize. YouTube him and watch how well he guards star players.

I don't need to YouTube Hill, my memory reaches back to the far extremes of last year. Hill is a fantastic defender, with reasonable quickness everywhere, good hands, and the grit that good defenders need. He was an underrated part of last year's top 10 defense and we've missed him from day one.

Just as a comment on Jrue being a top 15 defensive guard: nonsense, Jrue is a top five defensive guard. The only guys I'd take above him as defensive guards are Beverley, and CP3. There are some (for example Marcus Smart) who might be better purely matched up against other guards, but I trust Jrue to guard anyone one through four. And occasionally small ball fives. He's unmoved in the post, it's actually kind of incredible.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't need to YouTube Hill, my memory reaches back to the far extremes of last year. Hill is a fantastic defender, with reasonable quickness everywhere, good hands, and the grit that good defenders need. He was an underrated part of last year's top 10 defense and we've missed him from day one.

Just as a comment on Jrue being a top 15 defensive guard: nonsense, Jrue is a top five defensive guard. The only guys I'd take above him as defensive guards are Beverley, and CP3. There are some (for example Marcus Smart) who might be better purely matched up against other guards, but I trust Jrue to guard anyone one through four. And occasionally small ball fives. He's unmoved in the post, it's actually kind of incredible.
    Not only his D but he was actually good playmaker on fastbreaks and even when they put the ball in his hands in half court he make some great passes

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Jrue has actually been clutch the last two games.
    not trying to be a jerk, but Jrue has been clutch since we came back against the Bulls. If you think its just been the last 2 games, you haven't been watching since that Bulls game. He's been phenomenal especially on defense. He has been taking on the opponents best back court player while taking an active role on offense much of the game, but when the 4th quarter comes or we are down by a lot like yesterday, Jrue starts playing his man super close.

AD might be the transcendent talent on the Pelicans, but Jrue has been the unquestioned on-court leader

Jrue’s bbiq is probably higher especially now he’s playing with Rondo.
    I too think Rondo is having a big impact on the non-athletic side of Jrue's game.

Thread Information