Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anthony Davis: Pelicans would have contended for title if DeMarcus Cousins not hurt

I don’t think you can overlook the part of the interview where Davis says he’s been thinking about how it’s possible to wait too long before asking for a trade to a winning franchise. Maybe the Boston stuff wasn’t coming out of nowhere after all...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    If Hill and Cousins and Frank Jackson were all healthy I wonder if it would have helped us beat teams like minny and gsw.

I really think we can win the last 4 games of this month. Having Niko is like a Ryan Anderson with higher bbiq and very good defense. Way better than Anderson. Niko has not hit his prime imo and he’s still adjusting to our team.

I think we can really surprise the league if the following happens:
    1. We get okafor signed for the rest of the year. He continues to stabilize the team.

2. Rondo steps up and plays more consistently like triple double rondo. If Gentry uses Rondo effectively it can make a huge difference.

3. Diallo emerges as a contributor off the bench. He has the ability to play at a higher level. He’s only improving and could really be big for us if he can give us energy and hustle.

4. Niko plays well and gives us lots of 3s and irritating defense. He is a decent rebounder too. I think he will do well and is a perfect fit.

5. Jrue and AD step up and play at the highest level. We know AD can do this. But can Jrue be more clutch? If he can continue playing well but just start to be slightly more aggressive I think it will change everything. I’m a big Jrue fan and I think his confidence is going up. He’s got the ability to play like a borderline superstar. Seriously. They need to work on clutch situations in practice so he can deliver and close out games. If this improves I think we will get in the playoffs at the 5th or 6th seed and win the first round. Getting Hill back and improving our defense will be a huge game changer as well. Our defense has to get better. It can and it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I don’t think you can overlook the part of the interview where Davis says he’s been thinking about how it’s possible to wait too long before asking for a trade to a winning franchise. Maybe the Boston stuff wasn’t coming out of nowhere after all...
    True, but that was evoked by a leading question on the part of Rachel Nichols, who basically brought up KG’s quote to clearly fish for a headline.

I like her show and her interviews, but that was a straight up baiting question and frankly AD answered it in about the best way he possibly could.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    True, but that was evoked by a leading question on the part of Rachel Nichols, who basically brought up KG’s quote to clearly fish for a headline.

I like her show and her interviews, but that was a straight up baiting question and frankly AD answered it in about the best way he possibly could.
    Yeah, how exactly are supposed to answer that comment? Lol anything you really say would be headline

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I like it so hopefully they show some value the rest of the year. You have to figure we’ll be in the luxury tax next year so a player for 18-25 mill would almost setup the starters. Fill the rest with MLE. Hopefully Henzonja and Payton could use the whole thing each getting 4-5 million. If not I’m sure we’ll be able to swing something that good. Still holding out for Kemba. Imagine
    Kemba, Elfrid, jackson
    Jrue,
    Henzonja, Miller
    Davis, Mirotic
    Cousins

A good backup SG would have us with a great rotation
    I was thinking something like this (with a first rounder or 2 thrown in, whatever it takes)
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7cmez59

We could have a team of
    Walker
    Holiday
    Kidd-G
    Davis
    Cousins

And for our second unit have
    Rondo
    Jackson
    Miller
    Niko
    Diallo

That would be a very good team, and very hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    I was thinking something like this (with a first rounder or 2 thrown in, whatever it takes)

We could have a team of
    Walker
    Holiday
    Kidd-G
    Davis
    Cousins

Rondo
    Jackson
    Miller
    Niko
    Diallo

Im with you on that pipe dream
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Don't know if we woulda got nicola if boogie hadn't gone down.
    Why wouldn't we? The key was dumping Asik and this was the best deal they could get and still accomplish that.

We could have a team of
    Walker
    Holiday
    Kidd-G
    Davis
    Cousins

Rondo
    Jackson
    Miller
    Niko
    Diallo

Now put yourselves in the shoes of a CHA Hornets fan. Would you be happy with that trade? Why would Hornets do that amongst other offers they would get? MKG and Hill are at about the same salary for the same number of years, MKG is younger and the more promising player. Hill is coming off an injury that forced him to miss most (if not all) of the season. Moore has an extra year of 8.5 mil than Walker's expiring 12 mil. Moore is the kind of role-player that helps a playoff team, not the rebuilding one that CHA will be. Ajinca will be on an expiring contract, but also offers not much in way of playing value or future potential.

Also, one the main rumored interests they were needing to trade Walker is to help unload long, undesirable contracts to shed salary. This trade would have them adding future salary.

So it would all have to come down to those first round picks. The 2019 pick wouldn't be that valuable since Pels would seem a clear lock for playoffs and even a high seed after adding Kemba to the core. Then they could trade the 2021 1st, which could be valuable with Anthony Davis being a free agent that season. But with CHA helping Pels add a core piece like Kemba to go along with Boogie and Jrue, they would be reducing the chance he signs elsewhere. And is Michael Jordan going to wait that long to get real value in the form of a draft pic, in return for his star player?

For the slim chance they were able to do this trade, since Walker is on an expiring deal next season, Benson would have to give the green light to pay the lux tax to be able to sign Walker beyond next season, and even then they might have to trade away Niko to clear some lux tax salary space since they'd have 4 players making about $25mil each.

It could happen. But not likely

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    The only thing that bothered me, was the last part of the article. How he wonders if NOLA offers him the best chance and that sometimes it's hard to block the noise. Scares the life out of me when I see that he says stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Now put yourselves in the shoes of a CHA Hornets fan. Would you be happy with that trade? Why would Hornets do that amongst other offers they would get? MKG and Hill are at about the same salary for the same number of years, MKG is younger and the more promising player. Hill is coming off an injury that forced him to miss most (if not all) of the season. Moore has an extra year of 8.5 mil than Walker's expiring 12 mil. Moore is the kind of role-player that helps a playoff team, not the rebuilding one that CHA will be. Ajinca will be on an expiring contract, but also offers not much in way of playing value or future potential.

Also, one the main rumored interests they were needing to trade Walker is to help unload long, undesirable contracts to shed salary. This trade would have them adding future salary.

So it would all have to come down to those first round picks. The 2019 pick wouldn't be that valuable since Pels would seem a clear lock for playoffs and even a high seed after adding Kemba to the core. Then they could trade the 2021 1st, which could be valuable with Anthony Davis being a free agent that season. But with CHA helping Pels add a core piece like Kemba to go along with Boogie and Jrue, they would be reducing the chance he signs elsewhere. And is Michael Jordan going to wait that long to get real value in the form of a draft pic, in return for his star player?

For the slim chance they were able to do this trade, since Walker is on an expiring deal next season, Benson would have to give the green light to pay the lux tax to be able to sign Walker beyond next season, and even then they might have to trade away Niko to clear some lux tax salary space since they'd have 4 players making about $25mil each.

It could happen. But not likely
    If Charlotte has no intentions of re-signing Kemba, then it'll probably be the best offer they could find. Hill and Moore could be flipped for another pick later in the year, (Moore and Hill could be valuable pieces for teams around the trade deadline), and Ajinca wouldn't be anything but a stretch candidate. If they are serious about wanting to win a championship, something like this would have to happen, and Benson would have to be willing to pay the LT.. They would make the money back when they start winning, and from all the revenue of the playoff and finals games

If Charlotte has no intentions of re-signing Kemba, then it'll probably be the best offer they could find. Hill and Moore could be flipped for another pick later in the year, (Moore and Hill could be valuable pieces for teams around the trade deadline), and Ajinca wouldn't be anything but a stretch candidate. If they are serious about wanting to win a championship, something like this would have to happen, and Benson would have to be willing to pay the LT.. They would make the money back when they start winning, and from all the revenue of the playoff and finals games
    I hear you, I was just trying to analyze the potential trade further from the other team’s point of view. I think they could get a better offer than that from another team, or if not, think they’d take their chances on re-signing him an re-shuffling the roster around him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why wouldn't we? The key was dumping Asik and this was the best deal they could get and still accomplish that.
    Yes Scott Kushner said the deal had been in discussion since well before the Cousins injury.

We have always needed 1 more big to be able to play next to either Cousins or AD. Mirotic for Asik +1st has made a lot of sense for awhile. Plus we dumped 2 contracts and got a 2nd back. Such a good deal for us.

Basketball Guru
    The GS games,,we played hard and played good against them but klay was the ex-factor in those games...he got hot in certain times of those games and we had no answer for him...

the houston games,,we played good and everyone showed up and came to play...3pt shots was falling,,,defense was good at times....cp3 was the ex-factor in those games but harden didnt go crazy so in a 7 games series,,,i think we take them.....the one thing that made me mad was when harden switch to guard AD in the paint and AD didnt punish him in that one game but i guess it did take something out of harden because cp3 had to take over and kept that game close but we pulled it out after boogie went down......

The spurs i think we take in a 7 game series...

the t-wolves just seem to have our number....

if we could have avoided GS and the t-wolves then we could have made it to the conference game.....

im glad that AD talked about the KG comment and i hope that nba talking heads bring it up alot....maybe our GM can get benson to agree to going into luxury tax out of fear of AD leaving....i think we need one more big time player to have a chance to make it to the title game

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    The GS games,,we played hard and played good against them but klay was the ex-factor in those games...he got hot in certain times of those games and we had no answer for him...

the houston games,,we played good and everyone showed up and came to play...3pt shots was falling,,,defense was good at times....cp3 was the ex-factor in those games but harden didnt go crazy so in a 7 games series,,,i think we take them.....the one thing that made me mad was when harden switch to guard AD in the paint and AD didnt punish him in that one game but i guess it did take something out of harden because cp3 had to take over and kept that game close but we pulled it out after boogie went down......

The spurs i think we take in a 7 game series...

the t-wolves just seem to have our number....

if we could have avoided GS and the t-wolves then we could have made it to the conference game.....

im glad that AD talked about the KG comment and i hope that nba talking heads bring it up alot....maybe our GM can get benson to agree to going into luxury tax out of fear of AD leaving....i think we need one more big time player to have a chance to make it to the title game
    If we keep playing like we did the last 3 games before the break, I think we will pass SA and end up with the 3rd or 4th seed.. Unfortunately, I think if that happens it saves Gentrys job for another year, even though the real reason we got that seed was due to SA injuries

I started thinking about the offseason today and realized we aren't in a bad situation going into next year. We won't be world-beaters but we are on the right path in a lot of ways. Assuming Boogie re-signs, the only hole would be PG. We could bring Rondo back or use the MLE which is 5-8 million (depending on if we're paying the tax or not) on another average point guard.

FA or Rondo/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller
    AD/Mirotic
    Boogie/Diallo/Ajinca

Also, Dell does Dell and snags a backup big while we bring Boogie back slowly. He could even find a backup PG if the coaching staff doesn't think Jackson should play meaningful minutes. The team would all have training camp together minus Boogie but he appears to want to be pretty active with the team. That team is a around the 6 seed and we never know what trades and signing will open to effect the West during free agency.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    I started thinking about the offseason today and realized we aren't in a bad situation going into next year. We won't be world-beaters but we are on the right path in a lot of ways. Assuming Boogie re-signs, the only hole would be PG. We could bring Rondo back or use the MLE which is 5-8 million (depending on if we're paying the tax or not) on another average point guard.

FA or Rondo/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller
    AD/Mirotic
    Boogie/Diallo/Ajinca

Also, Dell does Dell and snags a backup big while we bring Boogie back slowly. He could even find a backup PG if the coaching staff doesn't think Jackson should play meaningful minutes. The team would all have training camp together minus Boogie but he appears to want to be pretty active with the team. That team is a around the 6 seed and we never know what trades and signing will open to effect the West during free agency.
    We have a backup big, his name is Emeka Oakafor

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post

FA or Rondo/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller
    AD/Mirotic
    Boogie/Diallo/Ajinca

More like:

Dump Ajinca using to 2 second rounders to create space
    Pay part of the MLE for Rondo and a backup PG
    Sign Boogie to his 2+1 max
    Sign Okafor after his 2nd 10 day for a non-guaranteed contract.

Rondo/vet PG/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller/vet min
    Davis/Mirotic/Diallo*
    Cousins/Okafor/Diallo*

*Diallo gets minutes at both spots, which allows them to keep a roster spot open

It may be smart to wait with Ajinca trade till the 2019 trade deadline. He will be expiring and You wont need 2 picks to move him.
    Pels will be a tax /hard cap team almost from the start of the season. Based on conditions and Benson they may go both ways.

As to MLE. Dont count on it a ton.
    Unless Dell will move other pieces.

Thread Information