Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Indiana MakeUp Game - MAR 21

of all the time to put the game. Smh we could have played tonight and it would have worked out
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    of all the time to put the game. Smh we could have played tonight and it would have worked out
    I know. Who's moronic idea was it to put it inbetween 2 other games? Surely 3 games in 3 nights is asking for injuries?

Pretty mad rite now

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The close enough is good enough? Wtf are you talking about?

We are down TWO starters. We have lost 1 of our superstars for the season, we at different points in the season have had as many as 3 starters out, we have had as many as 7 players or nearly 50% of our entire roster inactive for games due to injuries, we have had stretches where we have not had one single healthy backup center, and we have had to constantly change lineups and rotations due to these injuries.

Spare me the close enough is good enough nonsense. If we make the playoffs this season with how fierce the competition is and with all the injuries we have suffer this would be a huge victory.

People really need to gain some freaking perspective of what is realistic.
    Yea I completely agree. I really think the problem is most people just watch this team. You watch the rest of the NBA and for the most part you will see the same exact problems. Like I previously said this team is literally 3 wins out of the 3rd seed in both conferences. I think everyone would agree we have 3 more wins easily if this team is healthy. We have away 5+ wins that we no doubt should have had but just didn't have enough dogs in the race. They have a lot of very good teams out there and outside of the top 2 seeds in the West and East we are right there with the pack. I don't understand the panic and hysteria from some after every loss. We are in the middle of a playoff race which should be fun for fans. Some just can't handle the pressure lol.

The close enough is good enough? Wtf are you talking about?

We are down TWO starters. We have lost 1 of our superstars for the season, we at different points in the season have had as many as 3 starters out, we have had as many as 7 players or nearly 50% of our entire roster inactive for games due to injuries, we have had stretches where we have not had one single healthy backup center, and we have had to constantly change lineups and rotations due to these injuries.

Spare me the close enough is good enough nonsense. If we make the playoffs this season with how fierce the competition is and with all the injuries we have suffer this would be a huge victory.

People really need to gain some freaking perspective of what is realistic.
    Cmon man.
    I'm not talking about losing Boogie.
    Having Hill out or Rondo to start the season shouldn't excuse the fact this team has been average for 50 games.

Every year we say oh well the injuries haven't helped.
    I'm tired of that. We had enough talent with AD, Cousins and Jrue to be better than we have.

Look at Denever without Milsap or the Jazz without Gobert. Or the Spurs with the scrubs they are playing without Leonard and now Aldridge.

This team just isn't diciplined enough and have had the injury excuses for the last 4 years to bail them out.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 02-16-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea I completely agree. I really think the problem is most people just watch this team. You watch the rest of the NBA and for the most part you will see the same exact problems. Like I previously said this team is literally 3 wins out of the 3rd seed in both conferences. I think everyone would agree we have 3 more wins easily if this team is healthy. We have away 5+ wins that we no doubt should have had but just didn't have enough dogs in the race. They have a lot of very good teams out there and outside of the top 2 seeds in the West and East we are right there with the pack. I don't understand the panic and hysteria from some after every loss. We are in the middle of a playoff race which should be fun for fans. Some just can't handle the pressure lol.
    I've been following the NBA for 25 years.
    I know were this team is in comparison to other teams to know that they lack effort for long stretches. There is a reason why this team hasn't won more than 4 or 5 games in a row for literally 5 years.

Effort, IQ and culture.

We'll chat about this again next year when we will find some more excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Cmon man.
    I'm not talking about losing Boogie.
    Having Hill out or Rondo to start the season shouldn't excuse the fact this team has been average for 50 games.

Every year we say oh well the injuries haven't helped.
    I'm tired of that. We had enough talent with AD, Cousins and Jrue to be better than we have.

Look at Denever without Milsap or the Jazz without Gobert. Or the Spurs with the scrubs they are playing without Leonard and now Aldridge.

This team just isn't diciplined enough and have had the injury excuses for the last 4 years to bail them out.
    That is all entire nonsense. You CANNOT dismiss injuries. Yes it sucks that it happens every year to us, yes I wish it didn't, but you still have to take that into account it.

Yes look at Denver, we are tied with them!
    Yes look at the Jazz, we are ahead of them!
    Yes look at the Spurs, they played one of the easiest schedules so far and are only 2 losses ahead of us! For the month of February their record is 1-5.

Now look at our own team and realize we have had WORSE injuries than any of these other teams. Not just with who was injured but with the amount of injuries. The literally started the season with 1/3 of our entire roster injuries which was enough for the NBA to give us an additional roster spot.

P E R S P E C T I V E is important.

You have to be kidding about Gentry? The Pels have won on talent alone and not because of coaching. They were not setting the world on fire before Cousins was injured.
    They were still losing at home and on the road to the NBA's bottom feeders despite having two of the best players in the NBA. All that falls on Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I think Gentry has done a solid job this season.. I think everyone would agree with Cousins never going down along with Solo staying healthy we have atleast 3 more wins? Just 3 more wins puts this team in 3rd place in both the Western and Easterm conference. Sure we have had some rough games but anybody that watches basketball would know we are not the only ones. We just notice more for our team because of the investment we have in the team. Even with those injuries we easily should have won 3 games that yes the players blew. With a few things going our way we are sitting at the 3rd seed with a little cushion being s couple of games ahead. Let's see what Gentry does with this team post all star break before the #FireGentry bull happens after every loss.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    You have to be kidding about Gentry? The Pels have won on talent alone and not because of coaching. They were not setting the world on fire before Cousins was injured.
    They were still losing at home and on the road to the NBA's bottom feeders despite having two of the best players in the NBA. All that falls on Gentry.
    We were 1 game out of 5th seed and 2 1/2 out of 4th when Cousins got injured, had just beaten the Houston Rockets, and had our longest win streak that we'd had since Chris Paul was here.

This is such an idiotic and naive take you present and it's quite frankly, the most casual of fans opinion. Gentry is the one that came up with starting Okafor and we are currently on a 3 game win streak while just setting a franchise record of points scored.

You CANNOT attribute winning on talent alone and then turn around and still blame Gentry for losses. The truth is every team wins and losses on talent. Look at the Spurs with probably the greatest coach ever. They played one of the weakest schedules so far and are only 2 losses ahead of us. Is that because Pops is bad or because they don't have enough talent? Their record is currently 1-5 for the month of February. Is that because Pops is bad or a harder schedule and lack of talent?

Either Gentry gets credit for wins or players should take more blame for losses. But you cannot build this narrative that Gentry is terrible by ignoring all of the good stuff.

We were 1 game out of 5th seed and 2 1/2 out of 4th when Cousins got injured, had just beaten the Houston Rockets, and had our longest win streak that we'd had since Chris Paul was here.

This is such an idiotic and naive take you present and it's quite frankly, the most casual of fans opinion. Gentry is the one that came up with starting Okafor and we are currently on a 3 game win streak while just setting a franchise record of points scored.

You CANNOT attribute winning on talent alone and then turn around and still blame Gentry for losses. The truth is every team wins and losses on talent. Look at the Spurs with probably the greatest coach ever. They played one of the weakest schedules so far and are only 2 losses ahead of us. Is that because Pops is bad or because they don't have enough talent? Their record is currently 1-5 for the month of February. Is that because Pops is bad or a harder schedule and lack of talent?

Either Gentry gets credit for wins or players should take more blame for losses. But you cannot build this narrative that Gentry is terrible by ignoring all of the good stuff.
    Agreed. The Gentry is terrible narrative is so strong with some fans that they can't see the forest for the trees

We just put up equal franchise record points but no sorry that was just talent alone

Hallelujah! I'm still excited... this team is still winning and is playing better team basketball now than at any point earlier in the season.... When Boogie comes back (and he will), we will be unstoppable. We were already going to do damage in the playoffs, and now we have 3kola, and he's proven how well he can play defense already.... Get AMPED stinkers...

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Agreed. The Gentry is terrible narrative is so strong with some fans that they can't see the forest for the trees

We just put up equal franchise record points but no sorry that was just talent alone
    Yep, thirded. I've been hyper critical of Gentry all season and have frequently been swayed to the #FireGentry side at several points but recently he's been absolutely fine and even commendable.
    Basketball.

THIS! I'm not the biggest supporter of Gentry but at least give the man some credit for making the needed adjustments.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 02-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.

That is all entire nonsense. You CANNOT dismiss injuries. Yes it sucks that it happens every year to us, yes I wish it didn't, but you still have to take that into account it.

Yes look at Denver, we are tied with them!
    Yes look at the Jazz, we are ahead of them!
    Yes look at the Spurs, they played one of the easiest schedules so far and are only 2 losses ahead of us! For the month of February their record is 1-5.

Now look at our own team and realize we have had WORSE injuries than any of these other teams. Not just with who was injured but with the amount of injuries. The literally started the season with 1/3 of our entire roster injuries which was enough for the NBA to give us an additional roster spot.

P E R S P E C T I V E is important.
    No you cannot dismiss injuries entirely, but to use injuries as an excuse for this record is just plain homerism.

Why did they lose to SAC at home twice, or to Memphis twice or to NY at home or to the Clippers at home.

Because of injuries?
    No because this team lacks the discipline and IQ.
    All those teams I mentioned above have less talent than the Pels do even with the same injury excuses we have every year, but those teams this year with less talent still beat them.

Those are 6 lossess that shouldn't happen and losing games we should win will be the reason this team under achieves again.

I know the standings. I know the Spurs are falling and are going to haven one of the tougher schedules moving forward, but this team hasn't shown me anything in terms of winning more than four games in a row and then losing 2.

Holy crap the Bulls have had a 8 to 10 game winning streak. The Clippers and now the Jazz are on long streaks.
    Why can't this team?

Get a streak going for once in 5 years and I'll say this team has turned the corner and hasn't under achieved despite their devastating injuries.

Don't compare past seasons compare what they have talentwise this year.

I just want a team who plays hard evey night not a team who thinks they can win purely just on their talent alone.

No you cannot dismiss injuries entirely, but to use injuries as an excuse for this record is just plain homerism.

Why did they lose to SAC at home twice, or to Memphis twice or to NY at home or to the Clippers at home.

Because of injuries?
    No because this team lacks the discipline and IQ.
    All those teams I mentioned above have less talent than the Pels do even with the same injury excuses we have every year, but those teams this year with less talent still beat them.

Those are 6 lossess that shouldn't happen and losing games we should win will be the reason this team under achieves again.

I know the standings. I know the Spurs are falling and are going to haven one of the tougher schedules moving forward, but this team hasn't shown me anything in terms of winning more than four games in a row and then losing 2.

Holy crap the Bulls have had a 8 to 10 game winning streak. The Clippers and now the Jazz are on long streaks.
    Why can't this team?

Get a streak going for once in 5 years and I'll say this team has turned the corner and hasn't under achieved despite their devastating injuries.

Don't compare past seasons compare what they have talentwise this year.

I just want a team who plays hard evey night not a team who thinks they can win purely just on their talent alone.
    Good teams lose to bad teams all the time.

The Warriors just since the end of December have lost to the Hornets and Clippers.

San Antonio is 1-5 for the month of February. Just since the new year they have lost to 76ers x2, Pacers, HAWKS, LAKERS, Pistons.

The Timberwolves just this year have lost to the BULLS, HAWKS, Magic, Nets.

The Thunder just this year have lost to LAKERS TWICE, SUNS, MAVERICKS.

The Nuggets since the new year have losses to The SUNS, Clippers, HAWKS, **** KINGS ****.

We just had the longest streak we have had since CHRIS PAUL when Cousins got injured! Your entire take is based on something that is not backed up with logic. Good teams lose games they shouldn't ALL THE TIME.

Saying after all the injuries we've had and how strong the West is this year that just making the playoffs isn't good enough is a fool's statement and shows a lack of knowledge and understanding. It's not the Pelicans that need to correct something if they make the playoffs, it's your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    I'm not saying Gentry is a great coach by any means.. I would like to get a new head coach as well.. but the panic and hysteria over him has been ridiculous.. he is literally 3 games out of the 3 seed in both conferences!! Injuries have totally destroyed this team since he has been here. When you stack up what he has dealt with and compare his record to the rest of the NBA it's pretty obvious his record has been as good as 26 other coaches this session. Thibs with the stacked TWolves lineup is a couple games ahead of us and people think Gentry is the worst coach to ever see this planet! LoL the problem has been the players not finishing games and injuries. Gentry deserves his blame as well but going off record he is right there in the pack. When I see people panic over him and pretend all of these other teams have these great coaches with nothing going wrong just shows me people watch very little basketball outside of this team. When you are invested in a team every single play is magnetized Xs 10 when you would normally never notice it with another team.

Couldn't have said it better! I'm not even a Gentry fan but the guy takes way to much blame. This team has talent no doubt but we have one of the worst bottom end talent on our roster in the playoffs no doubt. I go look at these playoff teams rosters and I would love to have a lot of them. We aren't the only good team out there. We might have underachieved a little with Boogie but we also had like 20+ million sitting on the bench do to injuries and Asik. I'm pretty confident if we had the roster we have now with Boogie then this team is no doubt fighting for that 3rd seed.

Let's just call it like it is.
    After 25 years of following this team I have higher expectations and you are happy with the mean.

After 25 years of following this team I have higher expectations and you are happy with the mean.
    What gives you ANY reason to set higher expectations? Exactly what has this team shown since CP3 left that says our expectations should be anything other than making the playoffs? This was a high lottery team last year that has struggled with overwhelming injuries all year including losing a top 10 player for the rest of the year.

Let's call it what it is, you're an ill informed fan who is too close to the team to look at it from a proper perspective and are unable to set realistic expectations for yourself about what this team in its current condition should accomplish.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-16-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Oh, quit w/ the hyperbolic mishegoss. Tell me, exactly what team you have you followed for 25 yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Oh, quit w/ the hyperbolic mishegoss. Tell me, exactly what team you have you followed for 25 yrs?
    The Charlotte Hornets since 1992.
    So my mistake 26.
    And yes I know they moved to New orleans, but why wouldn't I follow CP3 who has been arguably the best player to play for Nola.

What gives you ANY reason to set higher expectations? Exactly what has this team shown since CP3 left that says our expectations should be anything other than making the playoffs? This was a high lottery team last year that has struggled with overwhelming injuries all year including losing a top 10 player for the rest of the year.

Let's call it what it is, you're an ill informed fan who is too close to the team to look at it from a proper perspective and are unable to set realistic expectations for yourself about what this team in its current condition should accomplish.
    Why not have higher expectations than what they achieved with Monty? Shouldn't we expect atleast progression every season even its small steps?

This team is better than 2015 right?
    The only difference being that team had heart.
    This team isn't disciplined.

I'd rather a less talented team who gives it their all every night and over acheive slightly than a team that has the talent we have in 2018 and under achieve.

Look I understand the injury to Boogie hurts and Hill being out 3/4 of the year but you can't tell me you aren't dissapointed with how they have performed?

I just hoped for more this year.
    Silly me.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    The Charlotte Hornets since 1992.
    So my mistake 26.
    And yes I know they moved to New orleans, but why wouldn't I follow CP3 who has been arguably the best player to play for Nola.
    Pete Maravich- NO DOUBT . So, you followed the Charlotte Hornets because? When they moved, you follow the now New Orleans Hornets because? CP3 wasn't around yet. And through all of this, you comingle these teams as 1 as far as an organization? Huh, that's Odd. If you were a Charlotte fan, why would you not be a Charlotte fan, now?

Silly me.
    We agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Pete Maravich- NO DOUBT . So, you followed the Charlotte Hornets because? When they moved, you follow the now New Orleans Hornets because? CP3 wasn't around yet. And through all of this, you comingle these teams as 1 as far as an organization? Huh, that's Odd. If you were a Charlotte fan, why would you not be a Charlotte fan, now?
    When I was 13 Charlotte was the new team in the NBA and LJ, Mourning and Mugsy were who I followed.

I don't remember, but for a while I stopped following the NBA probably becuase I discovered girls. Then picked it up again when Chris Paul got drafted.

WTF would I choose Charlotte lol?
    That doesn't matter. I'm a New Orleans fan even if Davis leaves or not.

We agree.
    Xoxo...

Thread Information