Pelicans Report

Thread: Roster moves 2/10

Roster moves 2/10

Per the Pelicans app, Mike James and Rashad Vaughn have been waived.

I know James asked for his release to play overseas, but the Vaughn move is just silly. He's a wing with decent size, which is something this team needs. Maybe they're looking at picking up a recent buyout player?

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post

I know James asked for his release to play overseas, but the Vaughn move is just silly. He's a wing with decent size, which is something this team needs. Maybe they're looking at picking up a recent buyout player?
    It might just be Willie Reed and a point guard. Or at least I hope.

It's not silly at all. In fact, it was entirely expected. Dell wants to win this year. There are plenty of other players out there who can help us more than Vaughn ever could.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Why is it silly to cut Vaughn? What has he ever shown that warrants him getting a roster spot?

Is it because he is a 1st round pick? Let's him go develop in G League. In the meantime we can find someone else who will help us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Why is it silly to cut Vaughn? What has he ever shown that warrants him getting a roster spot?

Is it because he is a 1st round pick? Let's him go develop in G League. In the meantime we can find someone else who will help us out.
    What has Cooke ever shown that warrants him getting a roster spot? Vaughn should've at least gotten a tryout for a few games before kicking him to the curb. He is an athletic wing who was a first round pick. I think he should've had at least a chance.

What has Cooke ever shown that warrants him getting a roster spot? Vaughn should've at least gotten a tryout for a few games before kicking him to the curb. He is an athletic wing who was a first round pick. I think he should've had at least a chance.
    Cooke is on a 2 way contract, not a full roster spot. They are two totally different things.

What does being a 1st round pick matter if you suck?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-10-2018 at 04:59 PM.

when does reed come back from suspension? what PG do you think we will go after?

this is all a waste of time until they get a new coach and a new GM WE CAN HAVE GOLDEN STATE PLAYERS
    THOSE TWO WILL FIND A WAY TO SCREW THAT UP
    WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR THAT RIGHT NO FIRST ROUND PICK AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    when does reed come back from suspension? what PG do you think we will go after?
    I think Reed would be a good acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I think Reed would be a good acquisition
    Yea he could definitely fit that big-bodied Center role here. Wonder if he checks out character-wise and PR wise for Dell to sign him, though.

I have no problem cutting Vaughn other then the timing.. we have made no move yet so why cut him? If we are going to give someone like Liggins a chance by throwing him immediately in the starting lineup then why not just kick the tires on Vaughn until we make a move? Is there some rule where he has to be cut before he plays? Don't really see any players out there I would rather have then him. Finding 2 guys is very tough. If we go with a big body C with one of them then Okafor will likely be gone which still leaves us with 2 spots.

I would much rather play Diallo then Reed. If we are going to bring in someone like this Terrence Jones would be a much better fit. He is obviously on our radar as we almost singed him instead of Okafor. I really don't understand how Montijeunas is not on a team. IMO he is exactly what we need right now. He can play with all 3 of our current bigs in different rotations. His skill set compliments them all very well and gives Gentry a center that fits his system. He has a skill set very similiar to Cousins offering us a lot of the same stuff. Now that he has more time to work on his game being further removed from his injury then when he signed here the guy should be even better. He's right in the prime of his career and it just makes no sense how guys like Asik/Ajinca have a team but not this guy.

I think DMo is still playing in China right now. Maybe once their season is over he will head here.

RIP Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would much rather play Diallo then Reed. If we are going to bring in someone like this Terrence Jones would be a much better fit. He is obviously on our radar as we almost singed him instead of Okafor. I really don't understand how Montijeunas is not on a team. IMO he is exactly what we need right now. He can play with all 3 of our current bigs in different rotations. His skill set compliments them all very well and gives Gentry a center that fits his system. He has a skill set very similiar to Cousins offering us a lot of the same stuff. Now that he has more time to work on his game being further removed from his injury then when he signed here the guy should be even better. He's right in the prime of his career and it just makes no sense how guys like Asik/Ajinca have a team but not this guy.
    Was there bad blood with the Montijeunas departure from the Pels? I vaguely recall Monti making a statement or something. Could be wrong.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Was there bad blood with the Montijeunas departure from the Pels? I vaguely recall Monti making a statement or something. Could be wrong.
    I vaguely remember it as well.

Though I would assume even if he didn't say it publicly, there had to be a bit of residual resentment.

I mean the guy was on pace to get a 35 million dollar contract from the Nets only to get it matched by the Rockets, who sort of low balled him with some sneaky incentive structures to not actually match the full amount.

Dmo rightfully got upset, refused his physical, eventually he and the Rockets made up....Until the Rockets really screwed him by renouncing him. And because of the language of the league Brooklyn was no longer allowed to sign him, so on the promise of playing time to showcase himself, he chose the Pelicans for the minimum.....Which of course he was playing for Gentry, who is allergic to bigs, so his playing time was inconsistent, and than we went on to get Cousins shortly after, and Dmo sort of fell out of the rotation almost entirely.

Now he is making like 1.5 million in China. Quite the fall off compared to what he expected a little over a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    That was Jones, not DMo.

The comment DMo made when he left was he was asked if he'd be back with the Pels and he basically said, Have you seen their roster? *I'm paraphrasing*

Which he was right. We had AD, Diallo, Cunningham, Hill (can play some 4), Cousins, Asik, Ajinca.

It's amazing what 8 months can do. Who knew only 2 on that list would still be on the team or healthy. But there was never bad blood with DMo. He came to us part way through the year and ended up taking most of Jones minutes.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-11-2018 at 07:27 AM.

As to Reed - he just cleared waivers.
    He first needs to sign somewhere to serve rest (5 games ) of suspension.

He looks like the type Pels might be interested.
    But I think they will first sign someone for 10day.

The deadline to sign players for playoffs is on March 1st.
    Still lot of time.

The front office should look to shore up depth behind AD and get more athletic on the wings. We look too slow and overmatched sometimes against the younger teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    The front office should look to shore up depth behind AD and get more athletic on the wings. We look too slow and overmatched sometimes against the younger teams.
    More athletic on the wings with the scraps left over?

Ok brah

Thread Information