Pelicans Report

Thread: Completing the Puzzle (Peli-trades)

Completing the Puzzle (Peli-trades)

So assuming the Pels re-sign Boogie this summer for the next few seasons, and for the sake of this exercise assuming he returns to at least 80% of his production by mid-season 2019, it's clear they still could use another key player or two for them to fully make the leap into contender status. A scoring wing who can create off the dribble at a high level would be ideal.

It's been speculated they'll probably look to bring Boogie along slowly over the first half of next season, letting him work his way back to full minutes. So they'll probably keep Mirotic until the 2019 trade deadline to help cover the frountcourt minutes, and hopefully he can increase his trade value playing-wise, plus his and Ajinca's expiring contracts will be more valuable at the deadline. Moore is also available to match salaries for a clear upgrade, who will have 1.5 years left on his deal at 8.5mil. Diallo, F. Jackson, and their 2019 1st and future 2nds are also likely available for clear upgrades, if needed.

1) Fournier
    for
    Mirotic, Ajinca, F. Jackson, 2019 1st

Why would ORL do this? Good question, they might not. But if by the 2019 trade deadline they look to be headed back to the lotto, they could look to turn Fournier's big deal into expirings and assets in hopes of making a splash in '19 FA. Here they would get back a late 1st and a decent young guard prospect who will have actually played and showed some potential by 2019. If ORL happens to draft Doncic, maybe that also increases the chance of moving Fournier, since having two Euro guard/wings might be redundant, lol. They could very well keep EF since they're in need of talent and probably tired of losing.

NOP gets a high-level wing scorer/shooter/play-maker to take pressure off DMC/AD/Jrue.

Jrue/Fournier/Hill/AD/Boogie with Moore/Rondo/Miller/Diallo off the bench looks niiice.

2) Bazemore, 2nd
    for
    Mirotic, Ajinca

Moore could be included in place of Ajinca, or as extra to lessen Pels' salary load. ATL does it to lighten their payload and embrace the youth rebuild more with Prince, Bembry already on the wings. NOP adds his length, athleticism, defense, and good enough scoring to be a 4th option. This could appeal to them by keeping their pick, young players, where they would have to include them in other deals. Jrue/Bazemore/Hill/AD/Boogie could be elite defensively, with enough scoring to get by and shooters off the bench.

3) H. Barnes
    for
    S. Hill, Mirotic, 2019 1st.

Would DAL trade Barnes within their division, making the Pels better? Questionable. But if they see themselves having another non-playoff year, they could look to unload Barnes clearing cap room and getting assets. A variation of this could be Ajinca and Moore in place of Hill. Diallo could be included if it really came down to it. Barnes would add a high-level scorer at SF and excel at the 4 when either of AD or Boogie sits. He would be their 3rd option with the ability to take over games when AD or DMC is having an off night, has the size to guard bigger wings, and can free up some offensive load for Jrue allowing him to put even more energy into defense and assisting. Rondo/Jrue/Barnes/AD/Boogie or Jrue/Moore/Barnes/AD/Boogie. Very nice.

4) Kemba, M. Williams
    for
    Mirotic, Ajinca, Moore, 2019 unprotected 1st, F. Jackson, Diallo

This is the long shot, but if Kemba is still with CHA next season and it's clear they're not making the playoffs again, and/or he tells MJ he won't re-sign, then CHA looks to trade him. Could there be better offers? Maybe. But if the interested teams don't have the right expirings to make it work, or are reluctant to give up much value with Kemba due to become a FA, then a deal like this could be the offer that gets it done. Moore for Marvin swap saves CHA 5mil each of the next two seasons (as well as not having Kemba's new big deal), but Moore could possibly be re-routed for an expiring contract elsewhere, perhaps to PHI for Bayless, giving CHA more cap relief. The 1st, Diallo, and Duke(NC) guy Frank helps them get the rebuild started.

NOP adding Kemba with a healthy roster going forward puts them firmly in the elite tier. Kemba/Jrue/Hill/AD/Boogie is wow.

Thoughts? Which of these seem possible to happen? What other trades are out there to improve the Pels to help them make the leap?

I was just thinking Charlotte would probably be really happy to lose Batum. Could easily dump Solo Hill and Mirotic there and maybe get their 1st?

Rondo
    Jrue
    Batum
    AD
    Cousins

I dunno, Batum's had a badish year, but hes playing out of position. I just think Charlotte would definitely be happy to part ways with him and pay someone to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    So assuming the Pels re-sign Boogie this summer for the next few seasons, and for the sake of this exercise assuming he returns to at least 80% of his production by mid-season 2019, it's clear they still could use another key player or two for them to fully make the leap into contender status. A scoring wing who can create off the dribble at a high level would be ideal.

It's been speculated they'll probably look to bring Boogie along slowly over the first half of next season, letting him work his way back to full minutes. So they'll probably keep Mirotic until the 2019 trade deadline to help cover the frountcourt minutes, and hopefully he can increase his trade value playing-wise, plus his and Ajinca's expiring contracts will be more valuable at the deadline. Moore is also available to match salaries for a clear upgrade, who will have 1.5 years left on his deal at 8.5mil. Diallo, F. Jackson, and their 2019 1st and future 2nds are also likely available for clear upgrades, if needed.

1) Fournier
    for
    Mirotic, Ajinca, F. Jackson, 2019 1st

Why would ORL do this? Good question, they might not. But if by the 2019 trade deadline they look to be headed back to the lotto, they could look to turn Fournier's big deal into expirings and assets in hopes of making a splash in '19 FA. Here they would get back a late 1st and a decent young guard prospect who will have actually played and showed some potential by 2019. If ORL happens to draft Doncic, maybe that also increases the chance of moving Fournier, since having two Euro guard/wings might be redundant, lol. They could very well keep EF since they're in need of talent and probably tired of losing.

NOP gets a high-level wing scorer/shooter/play-maker to take pressure off DMC/AD/Jrue.

Jrue/Fournier/Hill/AD/Boogie with Moore/Rondo/Miller/Diallo off the bench looks niiice.

2) Bazemore, 2nd
    for
    Mirotic, Ajinca

Moore could be included in place of Ajinca, or as extra to lessen Pels' salary load. ATL does it to lighten their payload and embrace the youth rebuild more with Prince, Bembry already on the wings. NOP adds his length, athleticism, defense, and good enough scoring to be a 4th option. This could appeal to them by keeping their pick, young players, where they would have to include them in other deals. Jrue/Bazemore/Hill/AD/Boogie could be elite defensively, with enough scoring to get by and shooters off the bench.

3) H. Barnes
    for
    S. Hill, Mirotic, 2019 1st.

Would DAL trade Barnes within their division, making the Pels better? Questionable. But if they see themselves having another non-playoff year, they could look to unload Barnes clearing cap room and getting assets. A variation of this could be Ajinca and Moore in place of Hill. Diallo could be included if it really came down to it. Barnes would add a high-level scorer at SF and excel at the 4 when either of AD or Boogie sits. He would be their 3rd option with the ability to take over games when AD or DMC is having an off night, has the size to guard bigger wings, and can free up some offensive load for Jrue allowing him to put even more energy into defense and assisting. Rondo/Jrue/Barnes/AD/Boogie or Jrue/Moore/Barnes/AD/Boogie. Very nice.

4) Kemba, M. Williams
    for
    Mirotic, Ajinca, Moore, 2019 unprotected 1st, F. Jackson, Diallo

This is the long shot, but if Kemba is still with CHA next season and it's clear they're not making the playoffs again, and/or he tells MJ he won't re-sign, then CHA looks to trade him. Could there be better offers? Maybe. But if the interested teams don't have the right expirings to make it work, or are reluctant to give up much value with Kemba due to become a FA, then a deal like this could be the offer that gets it done. Moore for Marvin swap saves CHA 5mil each of the next two seasons (as well as not having Kemba's new big deal), but Moore could possibly be re-routed for an expiring contract elsewhere, perhaps to PHI for Bayless, giving CHA more cap relief. The 1st, Diallo, and Duke(NC) guy Frank helps them get the rebuild started.

NOP adding Kemba with a healthy roster going forward puts them firmly in the elite tier. Kemba/Jrue/Hill/AD/Boogie is wow.

Thoughts? Which of these seem possible to happen? What other trades are out there to improve the Pels to help them make the leap?
    1 & 4.

4. Take out Williams for Batum and maybe keep Diallo or Jackson I would do that.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I was just thinking Charlotte would probably be really happy to lose Batum. Could easily dump Solo Hill and Mirotic there and maybe get their 1st?

Rondo
    Jrue
    Batum
    AD
    Cousins

I dunno, Batum's had a badish year, but hes playing out of position. I just think Charlotte would definitely be happy to part ways with him and pay someone to do it.
    How about Moore, Ajinca, mirotic, and hill for Batum and Kemba. Money works, we could give them a couple mill to help buyout Ajinca, and they could still move mirotic and Moore for more assets later. It would only work if they really in full rebuild or if Kemba forces his way out.

While I’m dreaming, flip Batum and a couple 1st to the spurs for Kawhi. Imagine Kemba, Jrue, Kawhi, Davis, and boogie would be pretty crazy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Montrezz Harrell. UFA - made 1,400,000. Make him an offer . Would fit perfectly on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

Rondo
    Jrue
    Batum
    AD
    Cousins

Yea Batum could be an option, but he's been injured so often this year and even years past I think. With that huge contract, seems like too much of a risk

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    How about Moore, Ajinca, mirotic, and hill for Batum and Kemba. Money works, we could give them a couple mill to help buyout Ajinca, and they could still move mirotic and Moore for more assets later. It would only work if they really in full rebuild or if Kemba forces his way out.
    Don't see Pels taking on Batum's ~25mil for 3 more years, while Hill and Moore only have 2 years on their contracts. The key to trading for Kemba would be to re-sign him in the 2019 offseason, which would likely start at a contract similar to Jrue and Batum's starting around $25mil. So adding Batum's 25mil along with Jrue, AD, and Boogie's 25mil+ contracts, would make it near impossible to re-sign Kemba. Unheard of that a full starting 5 would each have huge 25mil+ contracts. That's why taking on Marvin's deal would be much more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Montrezz Harrell. UFA - made 1,400,000. Make him an offer . Would fit perfectly on this team.

Yea Harrell has been awesome, I see the Clips keeping him though. With Boogie's new big contract, will Pels even use their full MLE? If so, seems like most of it would go to re-signing Rondo and maybe Clark. Also, with Mirotic and Diallo still on the team, not sure they can afford to invest any more cap $ or minutes to the frountcourt.

Sign me up for the trade with Charlotte. A Kemba/Jrue backcourt would be deadly.

Why is everyone so keen on trading Mirotic, Diallo, and or Frank jackson?!?

Mirotic fits with this team perfectly! With boogie back he would be the first big off the bench, he has shown he is a little streaky as a shooter, but he has played great defense and spaces the floor well!

Diallo is a sad in the making! If he could work on his driving to the basket ability and his jump shot he would be a good back up 4, he’s not big enough to battle it out with some of the bigger centers in the NBA. But the guy has shown in limited minutes that he’s got what it takes to be productive! He’s a rebounding machine with high energy and a decent jumper!

Frank Jackson is another story... we have no idea what we have in him and won’t until next season. He was projected to go mid to early first round but was injured which made him fall in the draft! This kid could be special, but we just don’t know yet! Can’t move players like this if we want to be a contender! We need young talent to infuse with our star vets!

Any scenario that includes trading ajinca and hill I'm in favor of. I don't want to lose diallo or Mirotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    Why is everyone so keen on trading Mirotic, Diallo, and or Frank jackson?!?

Mirotic fits with this team perfectly! With boogie back he would be the first big off the bench, he has shown he is a little streaky as a shooter, but he has played great defense and spaces the floor well!

Diallo is a sad in the making! If he could work on his driving to the basket ability and his jump shot he would be a good back up 4, he’s not big enough to battle it out with some of the bigger centers in the NBA. But the guy has shown in limited minutes that he’s got what it takes to be productive! He’s a rebounding machine with high energy and a decent jumper!

Frank Jackson is another story... we have no idea what we have in him and won’t until next season. He was projected to go mid to early first round but was injured which made him fall in the draft! This kid could be special, but we just don’t know yet! Can’t move players like this if we want to be a contender! We need young talent to infuse with our star vets!
    Cuz they are basically our only real tradeable "assets" other than picks? I'm not sure your analysis of streaky, not good enough to be a backup, and injured is really a ringing endorsement to not trade these guys...

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Cuz they are basically our only real tradeable "assets" other than picks? I'm not sure your analysis of streaky, not good enough to be a backup, and injured is really a ringing endorsement to not trade these guys...
    Exactly, have to give to receive in trades. Sure, it would be nice to keep some of them, but if needed to get a better fitting/ more talented player(s), then do it.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Don't see Pels taking on Batum's ~25mil for 3 more years, while Hill and Moore only have 2 years on their contracts. The key to trading for Kemba would be to re-sign him in the 2019 offseason, which would likely start at a contract similar to Jrue and Batum's starting around $25mil. So adding Batum's 25mil along with Jrue, AD, and Boogie's 25mil+ contracts, would make it near impossible to re-sign Kemba. Unheard of that a full starting 5 would each have huge 25mil+ contracts. That's why taking on Marvin's deal would be much more manageable.
    Not a fan of Batum but if it gets us Kemba then let’s do it. I really think attaching a couple first to Batum should get us a better player and Batum isn’t a horrible player just a little injury prone and at least playable.

As for frank Jackson, I’d like to keep him one more year to see what we have and good PG’s are hard to find. Bigs are a dime a dozen and i think you could replace Mirotic and Diallo’s production for cheap.

I like the list a think all are on the trade block. I don't want Bazemore and I'm kind of on the fence with Kemba. The two the Pelicans should be after is Fournier or Barnes. Both would be game changers and perfect fits for this team. I think Fournier would be easier for us to get being in a different conference and the Magic have publicly open to trading him being in complete rebuild mode. Do to being in the same division Barnes will be a little tougher to get but I do believe the Mavs will be interested in trading him. Now that Dirk is likely done the Mavs are going in rebuild mode around Dennis Smith Jr. who is the future. Doesn't make sense for the Magic or Mavs to pay either players with where the teams are competitively at currently.

Barnes would have a similiar impact for this team at the forward positions as Holiday has had for us at the guard positions. He brings a similiar 2 way skill as Holiday. Barnes would be a huge upgrade to our defense with the versatility to guard near any player on the floor. Holiday/Barnes/Davis would give us the best defensive trio in the NBA imo. Even more so then he did in GS I think Barnes would benefit alongside our stars better utilizing more of his skill set. Barnes would be shooting 40%+ from 3 not having to create every shot with the pressure our bigs would take off. He has been a very solid scorer and does so efficiently when constantly having to create for himself. He can score at all levels with a solid post game and is a underrated passer. Barnes is a very smart player with high BB IQ.

Fournier is one of my favorites and reminds me a lot of Klay/Manu mix. He is the ideal guard for me next to Holiday as someone that can handle some of the distributing duties at times while being able to flat out score and create his own shot. He is a very solid defender as well giving us some more size and length in the back court. Fournier brings that punch and jolt our offense is missing and gives Gentry that offensive weapon he needs. He can be deadly from 3 and no telling how efficient he would he when he is the last worry a defense has. He is very good at attacking the rim which would be a little easier considering the bigs he would have. IMO Fournier is a perfect fit for what we need in our starting lineup. He's just entering his prime and could take his game to another level like many players do.

Both Barnes and Fournier make us much better offensively and defensively. They would thrive in Gentrys system and benefit in a role as option 3A/3B instead of being the defenses sole focus nightly. They would both give us efficient 20 ppg scorers that are great compliments to our core.

Kemba is someone I like as well but just don't think he is the best fit. He would be on my list but quite a few other players I would rather target. He would bring instant offense to this team and be a great fit next to Jrue. His game could really benefit and become more efficient as well with the bigs we have and a guard like Jrue defending the tougher matchup.

Bazmore is somebody I would touch for that $. He is Solomon Hill at SG but paid way more. I would rather save some of that $ and bring back Miller over Bazemore. I like Bazemore and his 2 way ability but he brings very little offensively and that's what this team needs. Dell has been able to go out and consistently find Bazemore talents for much cheaper. He isn't a terrible mood but there are far better players out there who will be available.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-04-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Didn't miller sign a 2 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Didn't miller sign a 2 year deal?
    Yes team option next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I like the list a think all are on the trade block. I don't want Bazemore and I'm kind of on the fence with Kemba. The two the Pelicans should be after is Fournier or Barnes. Both would be game changers and perfect fits for this team. I think Fournier would be easier for us to get being in a different conference and the Magic have publicly open to trading him being in complete rebuild mode. Do to being in the same division Barnes will be a little tougher to get but I do believe the Mavs will be interested in trading him. Now that Dirk is likely done the Mavs are going in rebuild mode around Dennis Smith Jr. who is the future. Doesn't make sense for the Magic or Mavs to pay either players with where the teams are competitively at currently.

Barnes would have a similiar impact for this team at the forward positions as Holiday has had for us at the guard positions. He brings a similiar 2 way skill as Holiday. Barnes would be a huge upgrade to our defense with the versatility to guard near any player on the floor. Holiday/Barnes/Davis would give us the best defensive trio in the NBA imo. Even more so then he did in GS I think Barnes would benefit alongside our stars better utilizing more of his skill set. Barnes would be shooting 40%+ from 3 not having to create every shot with the pressure our bigs would take off. He has been a very solid scorer and does so efficiently when constantly having to create for himself. He can score at all levels with a solid post game and is a underrated passer. Barnes is a very smart player with high BB IQ.

Fournier is one of my favorites and reminds me a lot of Klay/Manu mix. He is the ideal guard for me next to Holiday as someone that can handle some of the distributing duties at times while being able to flat out score and create his own shot. He is a very solid defender as well giving us some more size and length in the back court. Fournier brings that punch and jolt our offense is missing and gives Gentry that offensive weapon he needs. He can be deadly from 3 and no telling how efficient he would he when he is the last worry a defense has. He is very good at attacking the rim which would be a little easier considering the bigs he would have. IMO Fournier is a perfect fit for what we need in our starting lineup. He's just entering his prime and could take his game to another level like many players do.

Both Barnes and Fournier make us much better offensively and defensively. They would thrive in Gentrys system and benefit in a role as option 3A/3B instead of being the defenses sole focus nightly. They would both give us efficient 20 ppg scorers that are great compliments to our core.

Kemba is someone I like as well but just don't think he is the best fit. He would be on my list but quite a few other players I would rather target. He would bring instant offense to this team and be a great fit next to Jrue. His game could really benefit and become more efficient as well with the bigs we have and a guard like Jrue defending the tougher matchup.

Bazmore is somebody I would touch for that $. He is Solomon Hill at SG but paid way more. I would rather save some of that $ and bring back Miller over Bazemore. I like Bazemore and his 2 way ability but he brings very little offensively and that's what this team needs. Dell has been able to go out and consistently find Bazemore talents for much cheaper. He isn't a terrible mood but there are far better players out there who will be available.
    You keep suggesting guys getting 20mil+ but suggest no ways on how to make room for them or why the other team would want to trade with us.

Unless G Benson is willing to go into lux tax its virtually a moot point

Thread Information