Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calipari?

Calipari?

Just throwing it out there. I don't have nearly the basketball knowledge that most of you all have, but this franchise needs an injection of some sort of excitement.

Sad to think that 7 games ago we were on top of the world and an injury could bring us so quickly to our knees.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

People keep bringing him up. But is there really any incentive for him to coach the Pels?
    RIP FlyGirl

He will be very expensive.. He makes 8+ million at Kentucky already, we would probably have to make him the highest paid coach in the NBA to come.

But yes, we need someone like him

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    People keep bringing him up. But is there really any incentive for him to coach the Pels?
    I gotta think AD and Cousins would play their tails off for him...and I dont know how we do it, just thinking what would excite this city

No doubt it would excite the city. Just don’t see it happening. Especially since they refuse to do anything about Gentry in the first place.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If the AD era goes down flaming, I say make that fireball so big the atmosphere ignites and kills everyone.

Give Calipari whatever he wants. GM duties? Done. His own personal butt wiper? Done and we'll even throw in a shake and zipper upper. It'd change the scope of how NBA might view us.

I wish I had that kinda power. Maybe I just need to become a mega billionaire and buy the Pelicans. Should be simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If the AD era goes down flaming, I say make that fireball so big the atmosphere ignites and kills everyone.

Give Calipari whatever he wants. GM duties? Done. His own personal butt wiper? Done and we'll even throw in a shake and zipper upper. It'd change the scope of how NBA might view us.

I wish I had that kinda power. Maybe I just need to become a mega billionaire and buy the Pelicans. Should be simple enough.
    This is the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Calipari would cost a lot of $.. even so the $ generated from tickets, national coverage, jerseys, and other merchandise sales would generate so much revenue it would come close to covering there difference. Calipari would have fans so excited the team would get atleast 5,000 new season ticket holders. We would instantly be one of the more talked about teams around the league. Our games on national television would likely double. We would gain more coverage and sales worldwide as well. The $ generated would more then pay for what Calipari would cost. We have saved so much $ over the years paying Monty and Gentry as well. Our best chance to become serious contenders would be with Calipari on this team. We would almost guarantee AD signs another extension and very possibly be able to snag someone like Devin Booker. Van Gundy is my next choice but he doesn't bring the same hype and interest from players that Calipari would imo.

I am with GA, the revenue generated by bringing in Cal would cover his costs.

The only problem I see is, why would he come here when every year he is coaching 4-5 lottery picks? He has all the talent he could ever want in Kentucky, so why come here?

But if he is willing to come here then you find a way to make it happen.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    What has Cal proven outside of his ability to recruit? Kentucky is barely in the top 25, currently sitting at 24th. With the talent that he has at his disposal year in and year out, he has underachieved many seasons as a head coach. Furthermore, when he did coach in the NBA, he was not successful. He fits perfectly in Kentucky and I doubt he will ever leave.

And, how many Calipari "throwing it out there" threads are there on this site?

I’d be happy with Van Gundy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    What has Cal proven outside of his ability to recruit? Kentucky is barely in the top 25, currently sitting at 24th. With the talent that he has at his disposal year in and year out, he has underachieved many seasons as a head coach. Furthermore, when he did coach in the NBA, he was not successful. He fits perfectly in Kentucky and I doubt he will ever leave.
    This.
    Basketball.

While I agree in principle, maybe his ability to recruit is exactly what we need to get AD motivated to actually play.

I've very strongly been in the camp of you shouldn't need to have to motivate grown men, especially not if those players want to be the best in the world, but it appears AD doesn't have that mental strength and needs a hype man.

If we did this it would have to be same length as AD or D.C. Contract, 3 or 4 yrs, blow it all up after that if it didn't work.

Does it really matter how much AD and Boogie like Calamari? I think it is easy to get young talented kids to get excited playing for Calamari, but when you are a young vet, especially one who has played for Calamari before, will Calamari really be as motivating at this stage of their career?

Will they play better if we have Calamari on the coaches seat? Maybe. I say try it. Bring in Calamari, bring in Marinara too since they seem to compliment each other well. I really wouldn't be shocked if Calamari in the coaches seat would be a significant improvement over Gentry.
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 02-10-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Calamari

You are really pushing that Calamari name. You might have even jumped the shark with it.

The Franchise
    I think he is the only coach Cousins and Davis would be happy with. I agree that the fan base would be happy for a little while and other Kentucky players may want to come. If it was me I’d give him 10 million to be coach and VP of something. We could keep Dell but coach would have final say so.

As for his success and failure in college, it has to be hard teaching one and done players every year. He’s always in the tournament and does well even on his down years. I also think now that Duke has embraced the one and done it’s gonna be harder on him to get all the talent.

NBA wise he coached a little over 2 seasons and improved 17 games from year before. The Nets canned him 20 games into the 3rd year which isn’t great but Gentry would have never made it as long as he has if nets ran the organization. I’m all for giving him a chance.

Should be had for cheap then.

The last player the organization need to sign a coach to motivate is AD. The whole idea of getting a coach that is going to motivate your best player who is playing 40 min a night, leading your team in all stats basically, and is one of the main reasons you are winning is nonsense to me. The guy is already a top five player in the league, how much more production do you expect to get from him??? If we were talking about a coach to motivate the rest of the squad, AKA THE BENCH, then that is something I can get behind. How is Calipari actually going to make this team win? Is the expectation, he will use motivation alone to jump this organization into a 1-3 seed? I just do not see how any coach you hire, hops in, and takes this team to a Golden State, Houston level, without making some roster improvements. Gentry has actually impressed me this season, besides defense. He has made our offense one of the most feared in the league, he just needs a average defense to compliment it.

The Franchise
    Gentry is ok like Monty was ok but for me the issue is taking the pelicans to the next level. Granted with all the injuries it’s harder to tell but it can’t be an excuse because all teams have injuries. I feel a players coach isn’t the always best way. GS has a team full of self motivated players but i don’t think we do. The players are good or they wouldn’t be in the nba but sometimes I feel a lack of focus, staying with the game plan, or keeping energy level up. Those are things a coach should correct easily by pulling a player that isn’t doing those things.

The other part of coaching is adjustments. We don’t adjust well and pace of play doesn’t always have to be balls to the wall. It’s a simple thing to slow the pace when the other team gets hot but i never see it happen. Or if we are up at the end of the game then use up most of the shot clock. Teams can’t come back if you have the ball. Still all in all i find the team enjoyable to watch good or bad.

My motivation for going after Calipari only partially is motivated for AD's sake. It's about getting guys like Devin Booker or John Wall or whomever to wanna think of New Orleans as a destination team. That's my ultimate dream. Put us on the same footing as the Golden States, Clevelands or Miami when Bron was there.

Why not get Jay Wright from Nova? He is running the best program in the country, and it is at a small Catholic school to boot. Y'all need to get off of this Calipari train.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    My motivation for going after Calipari only partially is motivated for AD's sake. It's about getting guys like Devin Booker or John Wall or whomever to wanna think of New Orleans as a destination team. That's my ultimate dream. Put us on the same footing as the Golden States, Clevelands or Miami when Bron was there.
    Pretty much this.

Let him recruit. He is the modern day Pat Riley. Let him do what he does best which is recruit, and he will have his assitants coach the team (Riley had both Van Gundy brothers and Erik Spoelstra as his assisntants, Cal has had several assistnats leave to become college head coaches).

Leave the number crunching to someone else as well.

Thread Information