Pelicans Report

Thread: Boogies contract

Boogies contract

How do you think this will play out , it’s really a huge risk but I see no other option than to pay him the max for max years or somebody will . I would really hate to be in Dells shoes on this one because your gonna sign a guy to a max deal that won’t play the majority of next season if at all and there is no guarantees that he comes back as the Boogie we all know and love . For the record Cousins is my favorite player I want him back .
    With a max contract and he doesn’t come back to be the player he was plus he won’t play for most of the year at all next year this could be a blow to this franchise that we may not recover from for five plus years if it doesn’t work out .
    Do we not sign Boogie and look to sign another superstar in the off season with that money that will come in and play right away ?? Or do we roll the dice with Boogie knowing he may not even play at all next year . What do y’all think ?
    I miss Boogies passion, effort and leadership and I can see the team does too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a risk, and yet I think it is one that you can't not take. It was there, starting to work, A.D. and Boogie were seeing real hope for maybe the first times in their career and then...SMH.

But as for this not playing next year -- no. That hasn't been the history. Guys like Wes Matthews and Rudy Gay tore their achilles in recent years at roughly the same point in the season, and both were basically back for the beginning of the next one -- it's a 9 month rehab, not 2 years.

But the thing, and this will likely a be a thing, is that it's notorious that when guys first come back from those injuries it typically takes them half a season at least before they start to play at a high level again, if they ever do. You have to hope and pray that medical advances make that shorter, but legitimately while Boogie should be back on court by next season, it may not be anything approaching the Boogie of this year until after the All Star break, if it's going to happen at all in year 1. If he can be 15-10 and facilitate the offense in the early months of his return, that would have to be considered a reasonably successful return. Then eventually start to ratch it up and see how much of the guy he has been comes back.

Basketball Guru
    i believe the lakers will put us in a bidding war for boogie so i guess dell will be forced to offer a max......

im being forced to watch pistons games now because i want to see the bootleg version of AD and boogie running a 4 and 5 pick n roll lol....those 2 are looking good and making it work so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    It is a risk, and yet I think it is one that you can't not take. It was there, starting to work, A.D. and Boogie were seeing real hope for maybe the first times in their career and then...SMH.

But as for this not playing next year -- no. That hasn't been the history. Guys like Wes Matthews and Rudy Gay tore their achilles in recent years at roughly the same point in the season, and both were basically back for the beginning of the next one -- it's a 9 month rehab, not 2 years.

But the thing, and this will likely a be a thing, is that it's notorious that when guys first come back from those injuries it typically takes them half a season at least before they start to play at a high level again, if they ever do. You have to hope and pray that medical advances make that shorter, but legitimately while Boogie should be back on court by next season, it may not be anything approaching the Boogie of this year until after the All Star break, if it's going to happen at all in year 1. If he can be 15-10 and facilitate the offense in the early months of his return, that would have to be considered a reasonably successful return. Then eventually start to ratch it up and see how much of the guy he has been comes back.
    You do realize that those are just two guys that made a great comeback...Mario Chalmers had the same injury and took him 18 months to come back. I am not saying Cousins will not come back in 9 months, but it is not like you have said that it is a 9 month guarantee. Some players have never comeback. I wish him the best, and we will pay him the max. I hope he comes back because what we had was sweet and was working.
    Last edited by msw2024; 02-09-2018 at 12:30 PM.

It all depends.
    1. He may want 4+1 (or 3+1 elswhere) max to get as much money as possible.
    2. Sign 2+1 with player option. To get max for a player with 10 years of service.
    3. Sign 1+1 max.

Dell will offer him any deal.
    We will be happy if there will be some unguaranteed part of it .
    So it is up to Boogie.
    And Dell.

I remember on one of the games Joel or Wesley was talking about how bad Cousins feet / ankles were and that he’d always get treatment during halftime and after the game that with the weight factor is very concerning for sure . Glad I don’t have to make this decision I would choose Boogie but it’s more complicated than that I’m afraid .

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    You do realize that those are just two guys that made a great comeback...Mario Chalmers had the same injury and took him 18 months to come back. I am not saying Cousins will not come back in 9 months, but it is not like you have said that it is a 9 month guarantee. Some players have never comeback. I wish him the best, and we will pay him the max. I hope he comes back because what we had was sweet and was working.
    The difference is 1) Chalmers is a little guard who needs quickness, and 2) Chalmers is a borderline scrub who was reduced to full scrub by the injury. Everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY, takes a step back at first. If you don't have a step to take back in the first place, then you are out of the game until you can get back to close to the scrub you were to start with.

Boogie won't be Boogie by October, but he'll certainly be a big extremely talented player that can try to get his mojo back on the court rather than in some high school gym somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    The difference is 1) Chalmers is a little guard who needs quickness, and 2) Chalmers is a borderline scrub who was reduced to full scrub by the injury. Everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY, takes a step back at first. If you don't have a step to take back in the first place, then you are out of the game until you can get back to close to the scrub you were to start with.

Boogie won't be Boogie by October, but he'll certainly be a big extremely talented player that can try to get his mojo back on the court rather than in some high school gym somewhere.
    Chalmers is a scrub is the best part of this argument. You act like jumping up and done with a all the weight that his Achilles has to support is easy. I do not question his skills one bit. I question will the injury limit his ability to be back in 9 months. I think he will miss more time than that. I am thinking he is expected return will be more like December or January and will have a limited minutes and role until back fit later in the season.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but here is a cool video showing off Boogie's skill, footwork, strength, awareness, balance, decisiveness, confidence, handles.. you name it really.
    https://youtu.be/HhvBKqBReQQ
    Wanted to just remind everyone what a complete player he really is, and how lucky we are to have him, despite all the sadness surrounding his injury or whatever bs narratives are propagated to convince otherwise or raise doubt. This video doesn't even get into some of his other strengths like his passing and rebounding which were huge for us; god knows we could use some of that for this upcoming schedule!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I'd offer him whatever it takes. This is our shot to compete. AD, Boogie, Jrue, Mirotic. That's a real roster right there. You have to risk it all on that because the alternative is mediocrity at the very best.

I'd put it all on the table. If it goes bust at least you tried.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Give him every penny he can possibly get, the moment he can get it.

If I had to bet he will sign a max contract that aligns his next player option up with Davis’s free agency.

Team will have a couple seasons to prove it, meanwhile the rest of the league will be salivating at the prospect of nabbing best buddies Davis and Cousins in that looming free agency period.

Pels will need to make the finals at least once to have a realistic shot or I would bet both bolt for a market they like and slide into a championship favorites team. Not the optimistic scenario but that seems to be how the league is trending and how players are trending.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Give him every penny he can possibly get, the moment he can get it.

Amen, fam!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but here is a cool video showing off Boogie's skill, footwork, strength, awareness, balance, decisiveness, confidence, handles.. you name it really.
    https://youtu.be/HhvBKqBReQQ
    Wanted to just remind everyone what a complete player he really is, and how lucky we are to have him, despite all the sadness surrounding his injury or whatever bs narratives are propagated to convince otherwise or raise doubt. This video doesn't even get into some of his other strengths like his passing and rebounding which were huge for us; god knows we could use some of that for this upcoming schedule!

Thanks for that. The video is really instructive as to how much of his game is due to upper body strength, anticipation, and skill. This is not - of course - to say that a loss of footwork won't be seriously detrimental to all of this. Or that footwork and lower body strength didn't play an even more important role in his game prior to injury. Just that he has a chance to recover to less than 100% and still be quite effective.

I really hope DMC can come back healthy. I think AD+DMC is good for the game and not just the Pels.

As I've said for awhile now, worst case Cousins comes back and will only play to the level of Marc Gasol.

AD and Marc Gasol would still win a heck of a lot of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    As I've said for awhile now, worst case Cousins comes back and will only play to the level of Marc Gasol.

AD and Marc Gasol would still win a heck of a lot of games.
    I hate the degree of sniping that takes place on this site. But Cousins coming back at the level of Marc Gasol - who was the foundation of all those teams I loved in Memphis - is like the next to best case. I would be absolutely ecstatic if he came back at the level of Marc Gasol. The worst case is that he re-tears his Achilles in training camp and you have five years of dead max money on the books that will leave us all praying for the return of the Turkish Hammer.

I dig what you are saying, though, and I am hopeful that he can be productive moving forward. I think the 3Kola trade makes his return easier - which is a big deal.

We are assuming he doesn't injure his Achilles again of course.

What is Marc Gasol? He's Cousins without the handles and altheticism. That's why I said worst case is Cousins comes back and is Gasol.

Go look at Jokic for example who imo is a less athletic Boogie who plays under more control. I give him worse case scenario he becomes Jokic scoring around 20 ppg which is still a great player. I have no doubt Boogie can do everything he can after recovering from his injury. Might sound crazy but his game might even be a better fit for us post injury with him cutting down on trying to beat guys off the dribble putting his head down like he's Westbrook and turning into more of a facilitator out of the post. IMO Boogie needs to watch Jokic film and play a similiar style under control being patient with his opportunities. I'm still betting on him coming back at full strength but will take some time. I tore my Achilles and came back faster/stronger then I was before. He's not an above the rim player so I don't see this being a big issue with his game. The only thing we have to worry about is when he makes it back not if and I would put that recovery anywhere from 9-12 months while maybe getting back to full basketball form/shape following next season for 2019-2020 season. I'm perfectly fine with him needing until the all star break next season.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 03-13-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    I hate the degree of sniping that takes place on this site. But Cousins coming back at the level of Marc Gasol - who was the foundation of all those teams I loved in Memphis - is like the next to best case. I would be absolutely ecstatic if he came back at the level of Marc Gasol. The worst case is that he re-tears his Achilles in training camp and you have five years of dead max money on the books that will leave us all praying for the return of the Turkish Hammer.

I dig what you are saying, though, and I am hopeful that he can be productive moving forward. I think the 3Kola trade makes his return easier - which is a big deal.
    Achilles are like bones. The odds of him re-tearing the same one is slim to none as far as I know. The recovery for those are at or near 100%.

It's just a matter of getting flexibility and strength back, and not over compensating other parts of his body. Including tearing his other achilles.

Thread Information