Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rashad Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You guys always look at these situations too narrowly.

Forget Vaughn is on the team. Let's imagine he is out there with ALL the other guys who are out there. Would he be one of the top 2-3 targets on your list to help this season?

Of course not. So, when looking at it that way, why in the world would you keep him? Just because he happens to be here now? That doesn't make any sense. He won't ever play a meaningful minute for this team and he is an expiring contract so its not like you are developing for the long term. If you want to do that, you have Cooke and Jackson any way.

Vaughn will be gone and in his place will be a guy the Pels might actually give minutes to.
    It's not about what other 2-3 guys we could get right now. At the moment he is on our team so we are going to discuss it because you know that's what people do on message boards.. should we just sit here and dwell on every negative about the kid because he doesn't happen to be someone else off the street? The kid has talent and their is no denying that. He is a Pelican and none of those 2-3 guys you are talking about are. So why would we talk about players that might or might not come here which we already do enough of when we have a young talented player on our team? Just because he wouldn't be who everyone here wanted doesn't mean he's not the right guy either. He would not be the first player that Dell has found to then give meaningful minutes and come out of nowhere to be a solid player.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I think we'll have enough trouble kicking the tyres on one player, let alone two. Can't we just give Vaughn a shot first?
    Sure if we want. But Vaughn is a tire kick too.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Right now we have around 2.5 million to play with, plenty for 2 new players (we have one spot open, and Okafor on a 10 day that will be expiring soon)

The difference between Cunningham and Vaughn's contract is 200k... If we sign 2 minimum players (1 for roster spot, 1 in place of Okafor), then cut Vaughn, wouldn't we only have MAYBE 4-500k to play with, and still have a roster spot to fill?

Doesn't make sense to me to cut him

Edit: Also don't we gain a spot from releasing James? Or does 2 way contracts work different?
    Contracts are pro rated for the rest of the season so you don't pay their full amount. For example, if Monroe had signed here for the minimum then his contract would have cost us less than 600k.

Anf no 2 way contracts are separate.

We are around $1.5 million under tax line.
    But it might be smart to leave some margain of error. Like lets say 200k?

This is why it is better to target Reed types.
    Or to have shot on GLeaguers.
    And better froget Iso Jo,Diaw or Belinelli.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    We are around $1.5 million under tax line.
    But it might be smart to leave some margain of error. Like lets say 200k?

This is why it is better to target Reed types.
    Or to have shot on GLeaguers.
    And better froget Iso Jo,Diaw or Belinelli.
    If it is 1.5 million, we may not be ale to afford 2 vets

This is what I am talking about.
    There is not much wiggle room.
    If Vaughn will be waived - we will have room for younger vets. Even two. But it might be close to the tax.
    Jrue may get some unlikely incentives and we are in tax.

I'm fine with waving Vaughn if that's what they want to do. I just don't see many guards I would even be interested in. Now
    Someone like Belinelli I would absolutely bring in. I think he would be a great fit here and an upgrade from what we have. I'm also fine with playing him to see what he potentially brings which is most likely not much. Other then a few guys out there I would rather just roll with Vaughn and for now that's what we have.

Thread Information