Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Please assure me Gentry/Demps don't get a pass due to Cousin's injury

Please assure me Gentry/Demps don't get a pass due to Cousin's injury

Please assure me that Gentry/Demps don't get pass this season due to the Cousin's injury.

I mean look at the product on the court and it's embarrassing to say the least......the inconsistency is also pathetic.

I kind of think that the Cousins injury may actually give the franchise more cover in firing Gentry/Demps oddly enough.

If we continue to slide int he standings, Davis's positive view of Gentry is probably going to diminish, same goes for Cousins.

As long as whoever you bring in is incredibly proactive in keeping the lines of communication open with Davis and Cousins.

Would of been almost impossible to do IMO if Cousins doesn't go down and we make the playoffs.

More than anything I think this final run should be make or break for Gentry. This team, and the west being what it is, should give ample opportunity for a good coach to get this roster to the playoffs.

I don't love this roster, but it still has AD and Jrue. A very good role player in Moore, the best stretch big in the game, a returning defensive utility knife in Hill, and a dead eye shooting role player in Miller. A good coach can get that team to an 8 seed in this Western conference. I'm still not convinced Gentry is a good coach though.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-05-2018 at 10:19 PM.

How much is on Gentry and how much is on Demps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm gonna say 60% on Gentry, 40% on Demps.

Demps has taken a few moves recently to provide himself a little bit of cover; trading for Boogie was brilliant, the Mirotic trade was quality, getting Asik off the books is obviously brilliant, etc. So he's done some decent work recently.

Gentry on the other hand has 5% of quality in-game coaching, but 95% of his stuff is bad. Just bad. Bad lineups, bad rotations, bad minute management, bad bad bad. And he never seems to realise that he can change things up. He doesn't see where the holes are.
    Basketball.

My position has always been it starts with ownership, GM, than coaching.

In this situation though, despite me thinking Demps has overstayed his welcome by at least 5 seasons, there is enough here that barring another injury, a good coach could get this team to the finish line this season(playoffs). Like I just said though, I am not sure Gentry is good enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    My position has always been it starts with ownership, GM, than coaching.

In this situation though, despite me thinking Demps has overstayed his welcome by at least 5 seasons, there is enough here that barring another injury, a good coach could get this team to the finish line this season(playoffs). Like I just said though, I am not sure Gentry is good enough to do that.
    My comment wasn't directly specific at you it was at the OP for his topic.

As far as your statement, I tend to agree with you. Demps has managed to put together a team that should be capable of making the playoffs.

Therefore I have to lay the blame largely on the coaching staff. Especially their continued starting of Rondo. Cunningham gets benched immediately after 1 good Diallo game, Rondo has been terrible all season and still starts.

Lets not forget that we had to trade a 1st round pick... Which maybe a 6th-10th pick to get a bad contract off our hands. We haven't kept a first round player since Davis. Lets put that into perspective. We should of had a balanced homegrown squad instead of this disaster artist FA roster mess. Dell hold the keys and hired Gentry.

Dell gambled and lost so many times being our GM. His only Ws was getting Boogie from a more dysfunctional organization. It's all on Dell. If Dell goes. Gentry has to go aswell. Mainly because both of their contracts expires this year.

2 starters are currently injured (Hill and Cousins) and a 3rd started the year injured.

The effort on a night to night basis is inconsistent. There is no clear identity on offense and defensively the team is poor and at a disadvantage almost nightly. The Pelicans aren't built like an NBA team for 2018, nor or they coached like one. They lack athleticism on the wing, shooting and multiple players that can create their own shot. Defenses sag in the paint because of the lack of spacing and AD hasn't learned to pass out of double teams.

The simple truth is, this roster is poorly built and a mismatch for the things the head coach (and both top assistants) want to run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My comment wasn't directly specific at you it was at the OP for his topic.

As far as your statement, I tend to agree with you. Demps has managed to put together a team that should be capable of making the playoffs.

Therefore I have to lay the blame largely on the coaching staff. Especially their continued starting of Rondo. Cunningham gets benched immediately after 1 good Diallo game, Rondo has been terrible all season and still starts.
    And sort of like happened last season, for whatever reason the Rondo lineup starting is not a huge problem overall, but in the third quarter it is just a nightmare.

Before Cousins I pointed out how basically the starting unit is a net 0. Not what you want, but ok, fine, the rest of the half you pick it up. But to start the third? It was like a -19 or something. Just unbelievably bad.

Last year if the Frazier starting lineup didn't click, Gentry would eventually make an adjustment, sometimes start the second half differently...Though rarely restructuring that initial starting lineup by this time last season(even though the numbers once again suggested he really should). This year Gentry just looks around baffled and talks to reporters about how he cannot figure it out, shots just need to fall, pay with more energy, but changes very little.

If wasnt pretty sure he still has a year or so on his contract, I would say he comes off like a guy with one foot out the door for retirement, that just looks like he's phoning it in.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-05-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Dell gambled and lost so many times being our GM. His only Ws was getting Boogie from a more dysfunctional organization. It's all on Dell. If Dell goes. Gentry has to go aswell. Mainly because both of their contracts expires this year.
    Hmm, maybe my thoughts on Gentry giving off the body language of a person with one foot into retirement isn't far off if that is true.

I thought this was Alvin's last year

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I thought this was Alvin's last year
    Seems like it is. At least contractually.

Might also explain why Chris Finch made a lateral move to come here. He certainly seems to have done a better job at doing what we brought Gentry in to do and that was modernize the offense. He has the pedigree to deserve a shot, being a very successful assistant and coaching the Great Britain national team(albeit going 1-4 and residing after 2012). Though not sure he would be my choice.

Basketball Guru
    demps fired monty because he wanted a coach that was going to take monty playoff team to the next level.......yes we are in the playoff race but if we miss out then both have to go....dont know who we can go after for the GM position but whoever it is then let them pick the coach........demps set the next level back by giving gentry,,monty team and expected them to be GS.....we were going in the right direction but injuries are apart of the game and demps didnt have the backups to set in to keep the ship rolling.....

im just mad that this team tease me with a playoff appearance and imo a 3rd round series and now its looking like my hopes are fading away.....i was making plans to attend jazz fest and a home playoff game on the same day this season so if the playoff dont happen then both have to go lol....
    Last edited by 6warddude; 02-05-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Might also explain why Chris Finch made a lateral move to come here. He certainly seems to have done a better job at doing what we brought Gentry in to do and that was modernize the offense. He has the pedigree to deserve a shot, being a very successful assistant and coaching the Great Britain national team(albeit going 1-4 and residing after 2012). Though not sure he would be my choice.
    Oh yeah we have a team option for the 4th year

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I️ can’t blame Demps for where we are right now. Cousins was putting everything together and playing at such a high level and the plan to make the playoffs seemed to be very realistic. We won 7 out of the last 8 before he got injured. Demps did the smartest thing by getting cousins and resigning Jrue and adding Miller and Rondo. Coaching was starting to work once we started winning games. I’m having a hard time blaming dell or Gentry. Can we get a better coach? Are you sure????? I️ think they need to fire erman. Defense is not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Can we get a better coach?
    Yes. I would be a better coach. You would be a better coach. Mythrol would be a better coach. My mother, who has literally never watched 10 seconds of NBA basketball, would give Gentry a run for his money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yes. I would be a better coach. You would be a better coach. Mythrol would be a better coach. My mother, who has literally never watched 10 seconds of NBA basketball, would give Gentry a run for his money.
    I appreciate the confidence, and I agree with your general idea that we can find a better coach, but I'd like to make clear that I don't believe like so many fans that I could do it better. Gentry has had a 30 year career coaching in the NBA. You don't get that unless on a fundamental level you know the game of basketball inside and out. Better than anyone posting on this forum for sure.

I think if you take the worst coach currently coaching in the NBA that he is still on a level well above forum posters. It's easy for fans to think they can do it better but the truth is we see like 10% of what actually goes on. All of the personality dynamics, the having to juggle the demands of ownership and management, everything that goes into the cohesion and building of a team... We see none of it. We see a final product and can make some guesses but that's it.

Now as far as your general idea goes, yes I think there are a large number of very qualified coaches who could probably get better results than Gentry. I don't think he is anywhere near irreplaceable. If anything the team looks like they need that shot of energy and a change at the top to turn them around.

I still wouldn't do it until the end of the season but I'd probably 100% do it this summer baring them going on some amazing run and things start clicking.

I would let Gentry walk in the offseason and promote Finch. I would also let him bring in his own staff.

Boogie getting injured (unfortunately) is possibly a blessing in disguise because it exposes Gentry as a fraud of a head coach.

To blame everything on Gentry isn't right. This team has been riddled with injuries since he's got here and what crazy occurrence that Boogie blows his ACL on a simple play to keep the ball inbounds. Gentry will be the head coach next season and Demps will be back. As mentioned earlier, Demps did a great job of re-tooling the roster with Boogie and Mirotic. They got good, young pieces to develop in Diallo, Cooke, Jackson and James. The team needs one more offseason to add complimentary pieces on the wings who can shoot.

I wish we do away with the 3 point philosophy which isn't this team's strong point and balance it with the mid-range game.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    To blame everything on Gentry isn't right. This team has been riddled with injuries since he's got here and what crazy occurrence that Boogie blows his ACL on a simple play to keep the ball inbounds. Gentry will be the head coach next season and Demps will be back. As mentioned earlier, Demps did a great job of re-tooling the roster with Boogie and Mirotic. They got good, young pieces to develop in Diallo, Cooke, Jackson and James. The team needs one more offseason to add complimentary pieces on the wings who can shoot.

I wish we do away with the 3 point philosophy which isn't this team's strong point and balance it with the mid-range game.

That's just it. Gentry never has and never will move away from that philosophy. Hence the only way to change is to get rid of his stubborn behind.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post

If you think Cooke and James are 'good young pieces' then I can't take you seriously

Everybody keeps giving Demps props for unloading Asiks contract but I don’t he has to give up a first round pick to do it plus he’s the reason Asik is here so I won’t give him any credit for getting his contract off the books , Two number one picks gone for basically Mirotic . Demps needs to go ASAP he’s not qualified for a GM position . He lucked into the Cousins trade because the wanted Buddy that’s the only reason we got Cousins .

Gentry has had a 30 year career coaching in the NBA. You don't get that unless on a fundamental level you know the game of basketball inside and out. Better than anyone posting on this forum for sure.

I think if you take the worst coach currently coaching in the NBA that he is still on a level well above forum posters.
    I have to disagree with this. There are thousands of people the world over who are in high positions (and have been for a long time) but who simply should not be there. NBA head coach requires no formal qualification; there is absolutely no way of knowing that Gentry or any other coach has an infinitesimal knowledge of the game beyond ours short of personally interacting with him.

Now, I've not personally interacted with him so there's no way I can claim to know that he's as clueless as his on-court product would imply, but all that means is that I can only judge him on the product himself. And that product is so poor that I genuinely am fully confident that any reasonable poster on this forum, like yourself, could probably do his job. At the very least, could do a better job than him in regards to the on court product; rotations, lineups, etc.

In fact, I'd argue there's an extent to which being an NBA coach professionally cripples your ability to make rational coaching decisions. Take Rondo for example: we know he's bad. We have reams and reams of statistics showing he's trash, and when we watch the games from above we get a more balanced view of the floor than the coach in-game, and we can see he's trash. Gentry keeps playing him. Why? Again, unless I specifically asked him I cannot claim to know, but I would speculate that it's due to that problem you mentioned regarding personality dynamics, and let's not forget that being human (which coaches are) renders them fallible too; for all we know, Gentry just 'knows' Rondo is a true floor general, because that's what everyone knows, and he goes with it. He's too close sometimes to see the forest for the trees.

Now, I'm not claiming that we would be immune to these things: maybe if you or I were to be named head coach next week, we'd also slowly stop using the statistics and evidence and just rely on our almighty coachly intuition, it's entirely possible. Maybe we'd also allow locker room politics to override the actual bolts of running the team. Very possible. All I'm saying is that the fact that he's a coach means nothing to me.

It's the epitome of the argument from authority: I don't care what his job is, if he's bad at it he's bad at it and doesn't matter if he's been bad at it for ten minutes or ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Lets not forget that we had to trade a 1st round pick... Which maybe a 6th-10th pick to get a bad contract off our hands. We haven't kept a first round player since Davis. Lets put that into perspective. We should of had a balanced homegrown squad instead of this disaster artist FA roster mess. Dell hold the keys and hired Gentry.

Disaster artist FA mess? So you're calling:

Cousins
    Holiday
    Mirotic
    Moore
    Hill
    Miller (a Demps draft pick)
    Clark
    Rondo

A distaster free agent mess? Really?

The nasty finger lies squarely with the coaching staff. Darren Erman has regressed. Actually I question his coaching ability because from what I remember, the sidelines were a complete mess when he took over for Gentry after he got tossed that one game. The team won in spite of it.

Now defensively they can stop no one. All of that cannot be because of Solomon Hill being out.

Thread Information