Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diallo Needs His Minutes

Diallo Needs His Minutes

His time has come to shine, all our dreams of a competent backup Big are here. Feed him. Let him grow. He had his games last year where he was counted on, and he balled out. He can do it again.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Franchise
    Definitely showed he can take some of Dante’s minutes. If Diallo could hit the corner 3 I’d say he could take all his minutes. I mean Dante played 35 min and had 7 points and 6 rebounds. Diallo played 15 min and had 7 and 9.

I’d be happy though to showcase him so his trade value goes up and if we can’t trade him then trade Dante.

Nobody wants Dante but the Pelicans. He sucks so bad!

The thing Diallo needs to learn to do is play without fouling. He currently wouldn't even be able to play full minutes because he would average almost 7 fouls. He is also still extremely skinny and gets bullied down low. This leads to him being out of position on defense and fouls.

I'm glad he had a good game, but this is way too early for a thread. Let him string together some games first. He will get his chance to sink or swim to close out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The thing Diallo needs to learn to do is play without fouling. He currently wouldn't even be able to play full minutes because he would average almost 7 fouls. He is also still extremely skinny and gets bullied down low. This leads to him being out of position on defense and fouls.

I'm glad he had a good game, but this is way too early for a thread. Let him string together some games first. He will get his chance to sink or swim to close out this year.
    He can't string games together without the opportunity to. Chicken and the egg

The Franchise
    I’d prefer them play him now to showcase him. If teams don’t see him play they won’t know if he’s worth anything. Play him a lot till the deadline at least and then trade him for a playoff piece. I wish Dell would do more of trading while a players hot. We could have traded a lot of players on the last years of their contracts or the good fringe players. The only one I remember is Frazier.

I agree Diallo needs to start getting consistent minutes. He brings something to the floor we badly need. Sure every once in a while he gets out muscled down below but he also comes up with blocks and most importantly he wears bigs down forcing them to chase a gazelle down the court every single possession. I would still use Dante situationally and also at the SF position providing a little depth since Miller is the only one healthy. IMO Diallo should see minutes as our 3rd big behind AD and Mirotic. I would even consider starting him with Mirotic coming off the bench so we have a scoring big with that unit and ultimately Mirotic would close the games. If the experiment doesn't work then it didn't hurt to try. We have way more to gain by making this move then we have to lose. His value could sky rocket to being the center of a deal for a team wanting to rebuild and letting go of a stud.

Oh he's getting his minuets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diallo_minuet.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	6312

I've been all aboard with Diallo getting more time and making his case to be the true third big In the rotation for good and it seems like he will really get his chance to actually be that guy. He will look so much better next season and in the years to come after he gets his weight up and his game expands offensively...

Quote Originally Posted by Blindambition25 View Post
    I've been all aboard with Diallo getting more time and making his case to be the true third big In the rotation for good and it seems like he will really get his chance to actually be that guy. He will look so much better next season and in the years to come after he gets his weight up and his game expands offensively...
    He needs at least 10-12 minutes a game to keep developing. Yes he's going to make mistakes but that's what development means. If Gentry refuses to play him consistently in the name of saving his job then that is unforgiveable

100% agree. He has talent but he's still a little physically raw, but a lot of his being out of position is his own doing. No one should prefer Diallo to Dante as of right now.

He does bring a lot of energy and moves his feet well at times though, and has length and touch to be effective around the rim on the glass, but limiting his minutes is probably a good thing.

He still should get some kind of consistent playing time, even if it's only 5-10 minutes a night. Give him some actual game film to study so he can clean a lot of this stuff up.

Those complaining about Diallo fouling, well you must have been happy with 0 v OKC

Lets give him some credit tonight: 0 fouls, 7 points and 9 rebounds in 15 minutes.

I still contend he has Clint Capella potential.

Lets remember it wasnt until Tyson Chandler was 24 until he lived up to his hype and had a breakout year. Marcin Gortat was 25 when the league and his team realized how good he was. 2 more years to show it fully.

Diallo is honestly on a really good pace for a raw big man. And his play type is custom built for this era of basketball, the speed, size, athleticism, and frame that can switch up and down, get out and run, and has been developing a really nice jumper. About the only thing he lacks in his raw form is a three pointer. If the Pels invest at least one more year I would bet he becomes one of those most improved candidates.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-03-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He can't string games together without the opportunity to. Chicken and the egg
    That should change with the Cousins injury. But he also showed nothing at the start of the season to say he should have gotten minutes. He was virtually unplayable. Heck, just the previous game to this one he was pretty darn bad too.

He definitely needs the opportunity to showcase his talents. They need to make use of young, long athletic players like him.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

Are you ready for Diallo time!!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Are you ready for Diallo time!!
    Yes sir! I'm excited because Gentry has no choice but to play him big minutes.. atleast for now.. just hope we don't see some trash veteran get signed and get minutes because he is more "experienced" then Diallo. Playing this kid could potentially change the course of this team. He could be a very valuable player to quite a few team..

In diallo's first few games I didn't think he was ready for the show. I have been proven wrong and happily admitting it. I jokingly compared him to giannis whateverhisname but I honestly think the kid can ball and he is raw who knows where he will be in three years.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The potential in Diallo is obvious. He's obviously a hard worker.

One thing that bothers me is he looks a lot shorter than I thought he was. Like he looks more like he's 6'7" than 6'9". Great length and all, but a pity he's not more agile.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

One thing that bothers me is he looks a lot shorter than I thought he was. Like he looks more like he's 6'7" than 6'9". Great length and all, but a pity he's not more agile.
    He is a 4 without the stretch. If he was more agile he could have played the 3 or 4 but sadly, that isn't in his cards.

He reminds of that center that the Celtics had for awhile who had long arms but was super short. Can't remember his name off the top of my head. He washed out the league now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Yea I noticed the same thing as well. I was hoping he would hit a little growth spurt but that window is closing. Although his long arms make up for those couple inches in height it sure would be nice if he was 6'11. If he can develop a knock down mid range shot his height will be even less of a problem.

I see him right now as a skinner Ben Wallace but in the mold of a PF and not C. He has a lot of guys he compares to over the years who were very good players that teams value. When I look at Biyombo and his contract it gives me a lot of hope that young teams with no bigs will value Diallo a lot. Going up against AD everyday offensively and defensively will hopefully do a lot for this kids game. A solid jumper is what we really need him to develop.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-08-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Dialllo really might be ready for more playing time. The kid has the potential to be a very good backup big. He needs to learn how to win one on one matchups against tougher opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is a 4 without the stretch. If he was more agile he could have played the 3 or 4 but sadly, that isn't in his cards.

He reminds of that center that the Celtics had for awhile who had long arms but was super short. Can't remember his name off the top of my head. He washed out the league now.
    Sullinger?

I reckon he needs Dantes minutes

Thread Information