Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Please assure me Gentry/Demps don't get a pass due to Cousin's injury

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    "My argument isn't an appeal to authority at all, it's just claiming that the people in a position of responsibility are likely to be right in this situation"

Okay man, whatever you say.

The statistics are not on your side at all. Even if Gentry is in the top 1% of all possible coaching candidates, then one out of every hundred people on this forum would be at least as good by probability. That's literally what a percentage is.

Edit: I do agree though, we do totally disagree on this and it's a waste of time to continue it. I won't be carrying it on cause neither of us are likely to change our minds based on this particular discussion and it's a waste of my time and yours, so I'll let you move on.
    Yeah I don't think you understand your own statistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The statistics are not on your side at all. Even if Gentry is in the top 1% of all possible coaching candidates, then one out of every hundred people on this forum would be at least as good by probability. That's literally what a percentage is.
    I would suspect that there are no people posting on this board that would qualify them as a candidate for an NBA head coaching job. Let's see, there are 30 NBA teams. That means there are currently 30 NBA head coaches. So that's 30 candidates. Plus say another maybe 2 assistants at best, on average, on each team that could be considered candidates. So 90 people. Then maybe another 50 or so that would include former NBA coaches, NCAA coaches, and foreign coaches. So, there are probably about 140 people on the planet that might possibly even be considered as a candidate for an NBA head coaching job. In all reality there are probably only about 10 guys that are looked at when a GM is looking to hire a new coach. Experience matters.

Posting on the internet is probably not something NBA GMs look for in head coaching candidates.

The larger issue whether there is some hole at the heart of this team. The Wizards lost their star point guard and leader of their offense, John Wall. They won five in a row. The Pistons had to adjust their roster and incorporate all star Blake Griffin into their offense. They've won four in a row. The Spurs lose Kawahi Leonard and Tony Parker for most of the season. They remain in the top 4 of the conference.

For all the moves Dell has made, all the encouraging words from the coaching staff there is just something...missing...from this team. Their defense remains horrible, though many thought Cousin's failures in transition defense was the cause. Well, Cousins is out and the problems remain.

I don't know what to call it exactly, but it's some kind of malaise, a lack of consistent intensity, too many lulls and coasting. They do play hard in spurts, but the let downs and lack of purpose on the floor at times is mystifying. I guess to some extent it's as simple as make and miss--when the Pels shoot well they win. When they don't shoot well, they look bad. But the failure to play consistent defense is the constant and at some point there has to be accountability--from the coach, from the gm, from the star players, starting with Davis.

i lay this squarely at the feet of gentry. i don't want to hear his voice for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    The larger issue whether there is some hole at the heart of this team. The Wizards lost their star point guard and leader of their offense, John Wall. They won five in a row. The Pistons had to adjust their roster and incorporate all star Blake Griffin into their offense. They've won four in a row. The Spurs lose Kawahi Leonard and Tony Parker for most of the season. They remain in the top 4 of the conference.

For all the moves Dell has made, all the encouraging words from the coaching staff there is just something...missing...from this team. Their defense remains horrible, though many thought Cousin's failures in transition defense was the cause. Well, Cousins is out and the problems remain.

I don't know what to call it exactly, but it's some kind of malaise, a lack of consistent intensity, too many lulls and coasting. They do play hard in spurts, but the let downs and lack of purpose on the floor at times is mystifying. I guess to some extent it's as simple as make and miss--when the Pels shoot well they win. When they don't shoot well, they look bad. But the failure to play consistent defense is the constant and at some point there has to be accountability--from the coach, from the gm, from the star players, starting with Davis.
    Let me sum this up in two words. Coaching sucks.

This team completely reminds me of the Saints under Jim Haslett. Tons of talent, mediocre results.

That's why I liked Monty, the team always played hard no matter what. All coaches have warts, (Pops and Phil excluded) I just liked Monty's warts better than Gentry's.

Man, I would love to see Monty with this roster and Finch.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post

This team completely reminds me of the Saints under Jim Haslett. Tons of talent, mediocre results.

That's why I liked Monty, the team always played hard no matter what. All coaches have warts, (Pops and Phil excluded) I just liked Monty's warts better than Gentry's.

I am not sure I would say we have tons of talent.

We have one healthy superstar, a fringe allstar in Jrue Holiday, a new acquisition in Mirotic, and a bunch of guys that probably would only get 10 minutes or so on most playoff teams, getting starter level minutes on this squad due to lack of depth and roster cohesion.

The fall off from Mirotic is pretty big. Moore, for all he has done, would probably be a 4th or 5th scoring option on most playoff squads, a 7th man off the bench for many, and his defensive woes detract quite a lot from his offensive emergence.. Guys like Ian Clark, Cunningham, Hill, and Liggins would probably rarely see the floor, if at all, in a playoff rotation on most other playoff squads.

On a side note, one of the problems that is becoming evident in our path forward is that the purse strings on this franchise are being held pretty tight. Which is pretty problematic for a team that has relied upon non-draft acquisitions on often higher salaries to fill out the roster around their stars.

I would say we have some very nice talent but not a ton. Like Bronco said this team if filled with a bunch of guys that wouldn't normally get minutes on other teams. To be a very good team you simply can't have 1-2 players "Rondo/Dante" in the starting lineup that would have trouble getting minutes on another teams bench while also having a bench with only 1-2 guys worthy of being in a rotation. This team is in much better shape do to the elite talent we already have which is the hard part to get. IMO we are 1 stud starter and 2 productive bench players away from being serious contenders. It's very possible Jackson and Diallo can develop and help but as of now they are mostly talent that isn't helping much currently.

Again I believe we are past the hard part already having 2 super stars and a fringe all star player.. we just need a little more time to get some of the right pieces in place which is going to take a little more time as we shed some more bad salaries and add those last few pieces. A team with a bunch of good players like the Spurs is going to win more games then a team like us. That doesn't mean they are in a better situation as us by any means.. I see what you mean though and believe we are very close just fully where it's gonna take to win consistently. I do believe our coaching situation is a problem but it doesn't solely rely on Gentry. I don't think Gentry is a terrible HC but he is an average HC. Which is exactly what we are right now being average. A great HC would have us playing much more consistent with quite a few more wins but still not have a roster he can trust nightly.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-06-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

We have one healthy superstar, a fringe allstar in Jrue Holiday, a new acquisition in Mirotic, and a bunch of guys that probably would only get 10 minutes or so on most playoff teams, getting starter level minutes on this squad due to lack of depth and roster cohesion.

The fall off from Mirotic is pretty big. Moore, for all he has done, would probably be a 4th or 5th scoring option on most playoff squads, a 7th man off the bench for many, and his defensive woes detract quite a lot from his offensive emergence.. Guys like Ian Clark, Cunningham, Hill, and Liggins would probably rarely see the floor, if at all, in a playoff rotation on most other playoff squads.

On a side note, one of the problems that is becoming evident in our path forward is that the purse strings on this franchise are being held pretty tight. Which is pretty problematic for a team that has relied upon non-draft acquisitions on often higher salaries to fill out the roster around their stars.
    Your side note is the nasty truth. Do we still trust the process?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would say we have some very nice talent but not a ton. Like Bronco said this team if filled with a bunch of guys that wouldn't normally get minutes on other teams. To be a very good team you simply can't have 1-2 players "Rondo/Dante" in the starting lineup that would have trouble getting minutes on another teams bench while also having a bench with only 1-2 guys worthy of being in a rotation. This team is in much better shape do to the elite talent we already have which is the hard part to get. IMO we are 1 stud starter and 2 productive bench players away from being serious contenders. It's very possible Jackson and Diallo can develop and help but as of now they are mostly talent that isn't helping much currently.

Again I believe we are past the hard part already having 2 super stars and a fringe all star player.. we just need a little more time to get some of the right pieces in place which is going to take a little more time as we shed some more bad salaries and add those last few pieces. A team with a bunch of good players like the Spurs is going to win more games then a team like us. That doesn't mean they are in a better situation as us by any means.. I see what you mean though and believe we are very close just fully where it's gonna take to win consistently. I do believe our coaching situation is a problem but it doesn't solely rely on Gentry. I don't think Gentry is a terrible HC but he is an average HC. Which is exactly what we are right now being average. A great HC would have us playing much more consistent with quite a few more wins but still not have a roster he can trust nightly.
    There is still a lot of talent on the team. I wasn't leaving cousins out because he is now injured. The lack of focus and the seeming lack of effort and energy has been here all season. To me, that is squarely on coaching. All in all I agree with you both, we are nowhere near elite talent wise, but better than most with what we have.

There is still a lot of talent on the team. I wasn't leaving cousins out because he is now injured. The lack of focus and the seeming lack of effort and energy has been here all season. To me, that is squarely on coaching. All in all I agree with you both, we are nowhere near elite talent wise, but better than most with what we have.
    This is where I fall. Especially after the trade for Mirotic we are a 4-5 seed id entirely healthy. Such a shame we've never been.

Certainly Dell has made some blunders but the team pieces he has put together should make a 2nd round. Sucks that injuries Rob us every year.

With Cousins healthy, sure, I think we could get to the second round with a better coach, because few teams in either conference can claim to have two superstars, one arguably top 5, the other give or take top 10, and another 20ppg two way player. In that scenario you would expect the team to get a 4-5 seed and a really good coach could probably upset in the first round and be competitive in round 2.

But with the exception of newly acquired Mirotic, the bottom really falls out of the roster after that. More so than any other playoff team I can think of. So that is where it is hard for me to say we have a lot of talent.

Of our 5-9, maybe one of any of them might fill a single hole in the 5-9 on another playoff squad. Which means we are running out on the court in the marathon of the regular season, a supporting cast that is weaker than our relative playoff contention. That falls on Demps. And when you have a major injury to your second best player and on-the-court leader, that becomes a pretty major blow. Since you have such a fall off on your roster in terms of the guys you are forced to play bigger minutes because of that. A deep team like Boston can plug in a Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown and keep rolling. The Clippers were down 2-3 starters most of the season, and despite lesser top end talent, remained in the hunt of the playoffs because they had guys behind their starters that aren't sieves for the team. And that lack of depth also means you are leaning heavier on guys like Davis and Cousins which increases the probability of injury. That also falls on Demps. So I am also not sure how much better this team would be if you replaced Gentry with anyone short of Pop, if they could do something like push for the second round with the Cousins injury and our supporting cast of cast-offs and misfit parts. Though I will just say again that I overall agree with everyone about Gentry not being up to snuff as a coach.

I mean the Spurs starting five for most of the year has been Patty Mills, Danny Green, Kyle Singler Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol is that that much more talent than Rondo, Holiday, Moore, Mirotic and Davis?

Kyle Anderson, not Singler

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I mean the Spurs starting five for most of the year has been Patty Mills, Danny Green, Kyle Singler Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol is that that much more talent than Rondo, Holiday, Moore, Mirotic and Davis?
    Some one else is playing the point party mills comes off the bench.... but they have a great coach in pop and they all have high bbl iq
    Last edited by tyler; 02-07-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Some one else is playing the point party mills comes off the bench.... but they have a great coach in pop and they all have high bbl iq
    I think that's the point. We have just as much talent as the Spurs do at this moment but one is a top 4 seed and the other is barely hanging onto the last spot.

Just imagine if Johnathon Simmons became an FA in 16 instead of 17
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think that's the point. We have just as much talent as the Spurs do at this moment but one is a top 4 seed and the other is barely hanging onto the last spot.
    Tbh at this point... it's a tough position for the pels if they fire gentry I don't see boogie coming back.... if you fire Dell I can see the new GM trading AD or Cousins and starting a whole rebuilding mode... we don't have assets and we have bad contracts so at this point what do we do?

Not sure if that is entirely fair. How many teams that are not yet at a point to contend are willing to absorb the penalties of the tax and repeater tax? It is a delicate balance to decide when they should take the venture into the tax and they may not feel they are there yet. At some point, they will have to given the contracts of AD, Boogie and Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure if that is entirely fair. How many teams that are not yet at a point to contend are willing to absorb the penalties of the tax and repeater tax? It is a delicate balance to decide when they should take the venture into the tax and they may not feel they are there yet. At some point, they will have to given the contracts of AD, Boogie and Jrue.
    I think it’s fair. You are embracing a win-now model of shedding developmental prospects on cheap contracts for players that fit the win-now model that are inevitably more expensive to acquire and maintain, but you are simultaneously being stingy with the purse strings and claiming you need to see contender status before opening them a bit more. Despite the purse string being the single avenue through which you are basically stuck building the roster.

Those are diametrically opposed forces that are darn near impossible to simultaneously satisfy without perfect execution. And not even the Warriors and Spurs have a front office capable of perfection. That is one reason why small market teams tend to build trough the draft. Because unless you are going into the luxury tax, it is very hard to put together a team like OKC once had that was both superstar rich and deep.

The Pels are at a point where there only real chance of getting to that status of contender(I would define as a fairly dominant top 4 seed) and under the luxury will require finding something like a Robert Covington and a Spencer Dinwiddie off the scrap heap in the same offseason.

I think it’s fair. You are embracing a win-now model of shedding developmental prospects on cheap contracts for players that fit the win-now model that are inevitably more expensive to acquire and maintain, but you are simultaneously being stingy with the purse strings and claiming you need to see contender status before opening them a bit more. Despite the purse string being the single avenue through which you are basically stuck building the roster.

Those are diametrically opposed forces that are darn near impossible to simultaneously satisfy without perfect execution. And not even the Warriors and Spurs have a front office capable of perfection. That is one reason why small market teams tend to build trough the draft. Because unless you are going into the luxury tax, it is very hard to put together a team like OKC once had that was both superstar rich and deep.

The Pels are at a point where there only real chance of getting to that status of contender(I would define as a fairly dominant top 4 seed) and under the luxury will require finding something like a Robert Covington and a Spencer Dinwiddie off the scrap heap in the same offseason.
    Sorry, disagree. At some point (likely next year or the following year), they will be forced into the tax after re-signing Cousins. However, they cannot afford to be a repeat tax payer as it also limits their ability to add to the roster. Now is not the time to go into the tax. We currently have the 7th largest payroll in the NBA. I do not consider that "stingy." Now we can argue whether Demps has spent the money wisely.

Sorry, disagree. At some point (likely next year or the following year), they will be forced into the tax after re-signing Cousins. However, they cannot afford to be a repeat tax payer as it also limits their ability to add to the roster. Now is not the time to go into the tax. We currently have the 7th largest payroll in the NBA. I do not consider that "stingy." Now we can argue whether Demps has spent the money wisely.
    I think it is more complex than just one person or the others fault. Demps has been bad with few exceptions, but ownerships constraints and demand have also put us in the position we are in and are now artificially handicapping the team.

It’s really just a simple numbers game.

It takes two superstars and a fringe guy at a minimum these days, or an incredibly cohesive and deep roster of above average players punching above their weight, to be a contender. Right there you are looking at roughly 60-70% of your cap space. Small market teams tend to operate by being diligent in the draft and using that to weigh down the cost of guys past their first contracts contenders need to match up against the other contenders.

The Pels, from a mandate from ownership on down, have foregone that entire path of roster construction which leaves you having to fill out the depth and role players through free agency and trades. From an already depleted asset cupboard, crunched on a timeline of AD’s contract expiration.

If Benson removes the artificial constraints soon, no harm no foul, if they aren’t removed I think it is going to make the task of getting to contender(top 4 seed that looks fairly dominant) next to impossible to achieve.

Completely agree! Little ridiculous people are saying the ownership is stingy with the 7th highest payroll haha.. no team in the NBA is willing to go in the luxury tax and not have a chance of winning. Makes no sense for us to jump in the luxury tax this season. Even the top teams in the NBA consider making moves so they aren't repeaters. It's a business and is always going to be run that way first. Fans can whine all they want for owners to pay $ just because they have it. These guys aren't rich because they wanna give $ up for the hell of it. The team is eventually going to go into the luxury tax to make a runnit now isn't the time. Everything about ownership has been nothing but pure speculation created by click bait writers like Fletcher Mackel and fans assuming.

I think it is more complex than just one person or the others fault. Demps has been bad with few exceptions, but ownerships constraints and demand have also put us in the position we are in and are now artificially handicapping the team.
    Has little to do with ownership constraints. Dell was given full rein to make moves, but chose to greatly overspend on marginal talent during the year that the cap rose significantly. He chose to invest stupid money in Hill, Asik and Ajinca just because there was available cap room. He is now paying for those poor decisions.

I just think how much better off this team would be long term had we taken our time and build via the draft. Even with the injuries we'd still have guys on their rookie or just starting their 2nd deals as opposed to having to max out Cousins coming off this injury or the cap we invested in Hill. And we are still basically in the same boat in term of success just capped out.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I just think how much better off this team would be long term had we taken our time and build via the draft. Even with the injuries we'd still have guys on their rookie or just starting their 2nd deals as opposed to having to max out Cousins coming off this injury or the cap we invested in Hill. And we are still basically in the same boat in term of success just capped out.
    No one could have projected that Cousins would get injured. I cannot imagine too many teams that would have passed on that deal given what we had to give up to get him. Hill was a head-scratcher when we made the signing given the Pacers passed on giving him a $2 million qualifying offer and his lack of production to that point.

Thread Information