Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NBA trade deadline

Boogie didn't like the Papa pick, I doubt he is a fan of bringing him here.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I’m good with Boogie, AD, Mirotic, Diallo, and a minimum big if one of the first 4 get in foul trouble next year as our front court.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I’m good with Boogie, AD, Mirotic, Diallo, and a minimum big if one of the first 4 get in foul trouble next year as our front court.
    Yea that is one damn good rotation. I think Diallo is going to packaged for another player but I would love to have him as our 4th big. Diallo and Mirotic compliment and fit very well with each other. Great versatility when all 4 guys can play with each other in different rotations.

Or maybe just let Diallo put on weight and add to his game. Can Dell grow his draft pick?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Or maybe just let Diallo put on weight and add to his game. Can Dell grow his draft pick?

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Why not? He's a ball in hand guard coming off a year he averaged 28.9 points as 6 assists.. You don't just fall off a cliff like that at his age, it's gotta be something with the scheme or LBJ in Cleveland
    Cause he can't defend, and all signs based on his relatively lengthy career indicate that the results achieved in Boston came about due to Brad Stevens being a fantastic coach and implementing a very good system on a team filled with good defenders who could cover him and provide him with shots.

We do not have a team filled with good defenders, with a well established guard-based system and a brilliant coach.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Cause he can't defend, and all signs based on his relatively lengthy career indicate that the results achieved in Boston came about due to Brad Stevens being a fantastic coach and implementing a very good system on a team filled with good defenders who could cover him and provide him with shots.

We do not have a team filled with good defenders, with a well established guard-based system and a brilliant coach.
    One thing our coach has always been known for is to get the best out of his guards. His problem here has been winning and running a good offense through his bigs. I think Thomas would be a great fit here giving us a big scoring punch. I would want him to mostly play with the bench unit where the ball and offense goes through him. Rumor is he won't go anywhere unless he starts. We can start him but take him out early while staggering his minutes to get the best use out of him.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-09-2018 at 01:11 AM.

LoL Kemba Walker just had 40 points tonight. The Cavs should have went for it all by snagging him if the Nets pick would have get him. He would have been a great fit on that team. The Cavs will have a long time to build that team up through draft picks with no rush if Lebron leaves. Best chance to keep him is to win. If he does return it will be on condition that pick is moved. Maybe the Cavs know he is going to leave already and are giving it one last shot to win while holding on to a little insurance for the future with that pick. Mostly to give fans a little hope going forward and not have another repeat of Wiggins. Hill is a solid player and a great fit alongside Lebron where he won't have to be the primary ball handler. Team went from a potential 1st round exit to ECF in a few hours imo. Not getting Kemba was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    One thing our coach has always been known for is to get the best out of his guards. His problem here has been winning and running a good offense through his bigs. I think Thomas would be a great fit here giving us a big scoring punch. I would want him to mostly play with the bench unit where the ball and offense goes through him. Rumor is he won't go anywhere unless he starts. We can start him but take him out early while staggering his minutes to get the best use out of him.
    I don't disagree that (assuming IT gets back to 100% health, which I'm starting to doubt) he could potentially be a 20ppg scorer again. The issue with it is that in order for that to be the case, he needs to be the centrepiece of the offense, which we just couldn't do in good conscience.

My point about the system is his defense. His defense has always been apocalyptically bad but on a team with Horford, Crowder, Smart, etc in Boston under a disciplined defensive scheme it was covered up and minimised. We don't have anything like that right now, and his time with Cleveland shows you what IT does on defense without that safety net. He sucks, big time.

So the question is basically whether his offense would be enough of a benefit to offset his hideous defense, and the fact that he's a huge ego who won't accept anything less than starting and is expecting a "brinks truck" of money this summer.

The answer, in my view, is no: his offense is not worth all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't disagree that (assuming IT gets back to 100% health, which I'm starting to doubt) he could potentially be a 20ppg scorer again. The issue with it is that in order for that to be the case, he needs to be the centrepiece of the offense, which we just couldn't do in good conscience.

My point about the system is his defense. His defense has always been apocalyptically bad but on a team with Horford, Crowder, Smart, etc in Boston under a disciplined defensive scheme it was covered up and minimised. We don't have anything like that right now, and his time with Cleveland shows you what IT does on defense without that safety net. He sucks, big time.

So the question is basically whether his offense would be enough of a benefit to offset his hideous defense, and the fact that he's a huge ego who won't accept anything less than starting and is expecting a "brinks truck" of money this summer.

The answer, in my view, is no: his offense is not worth all that.
    When you compare his defense to Rondo it isn't much different. The difference is the offense which is a massive difference. Cleveland had a lot more problems then Thomas and he was the fall guy imo. His defense has never been great in his career but never even close to Cleveland where I don't blame him. I just don't see anyway we could turn down that offense and his ability would give Gentry a great piece for his system. No way I pay him a lot of $ this summer but I would no doubt add him now. I think Bostonsbould go after him but I don't know if they are allowed to. Man that team would be so scary if he was added coming off the bench. He could really bring them to that next level. I would love to see him back there as a basketball fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    When you compare his defense to Rondo it isn't much different. The difference is the offense which is a massive difference. Cleveland had a lot more problems then Thomas and he was the fall guy imo. His defense has never been great in his career but never even close to Cleveland where I don't blame him. I just don't see anyway we could turn down that offense and his ability would give Gentry a great piece for his system. No way I pay him a lot of $ this summer but I would no doubt add him now. I think Bostonsbould go after him but I don't know if they are allowed to. Man that team would be so scary if he was added coming off the bench. He could really bring them to that next level. I would love to see him back there as a basketball fan.
    No doubt Cleveland had a lot more problems than IT, but I don't think it's entirely unconnected that they won 17 out of 20 only to crater and become one of the worst teams in the league once he returned. They already had defensive issues, but he's not a defensive issue; he's literally just not a factor at all. He's like adding ten points to the opponents score before tip off. His defensive rating in Cleveland was 116. It's not even like you can blow that off and say that's just Cleveland, because even when he was on Boston last year his defensive rating was 112. Even Rondo isn't that bad; his DRTG this season is 111 and it was 105 last year. Obviously just looking at the pure numbers doesn't say everything, but when you actually watch them play its evident.

Rondo can play defense: he just chooses not to, for some reason. Isaiah Thomas cannot play defense, even if he tries.

There's more evidence to back this up, including the fact that Rondo is on a paltry 0.085 WS/48, yet somehow IT manages to be worse with -0.013 WS/48.

Yes, I've already said I think it's possible that Isaiah could come back to form, potentially, and be a 20+ppg scorer again. It's just that while he does this, he craters a defense unless said defense is set up specifically to alleviate this problem: Boston did that. Cleveland didn't. Our defense (24th in the league this season) is more like Cleveland's (29th) than Boston's last year (14th), and therefore I think it's more likely that IT Cleveland's us than he does Boston us. We don't have Crowder, Bradley, Smart, Horford, etc to cover for him.

And all of that is just disregarding the fact that he's a whiner who wouldn't stop talking about Boston while in Cleveland, apparently saw fit to call out K. Love for missing a game due to sickness despite the fact that he'd only played 13 games all season at that point and sucked in all of them, and refuses to accept basic things like being benched for poor performance. He's a locker room cancer, and not in the Boogie way people claimed where Boogie was detrimental on court but his team mates generally liked him, but in that his team mates didn't even like him. No thanks.

Mike James just asked to be waived.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    No the news has been out for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    I guess Vaughn is here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I guess Vaughn is here to stay.
    I don't think you can compare the two directly since James was only on a 2 way but Vaughn has a full roster spot

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I don't think you can compare the two directly since James was only on a 2 way but Vaughn has a full roster spot
    I mean he may get some minutes since Mike James is going to be waved.

Clark should be ahead of James anyway

Reed has served one game from his 6 games suspension.
    Still think Pels will have him in top5 buyout options.
    I can live with this suspension.
    Pels 5th game is after ASG.
    Emeka's deal runs till monday I suppose

Maybe Reed is the plan. How's he been this season?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Must be pretty bad. I like his size, but if he cannot make the Kings, it has to be a bad sign.
    Here's the deal with Big Papa:

-- best traits? Good hands on the catch and big body.
    -- obviously should never have been drafted so high
    -- dinosaur in today's game.

-- thing is, even when you watched the vids of his play in Europe, he was basically a big young kid with a single skill: he's a good pick and roll roll man. And that was it. You watched the vids and it was really the only thing they ever did with him. Set a pretty good pick, pick and roll, he rolled, had good hands on the catch and would catch and keep it high, and finished decently with little flips.

-- came over with no other skills really. No post game. No real jumper. Certainly no ball skills. And looked like he may never have even been asked to practice those things in Europe, where he was just a young prospect player on a strong team. So he arrived in summer league as a slow moving awkward turnover waiting to happen whenever he tried to score on his own. But he did start to work on those aspects after arriving. Problem of course was that while he was slowly developing a proto-big man game, the league was running away from that so that even guys with very good big man games were being denigrated by all the small ballers.

-- big body, but he was a soft body when he arrived, and in curious fashion, somehow was not physical. Almost like Ajinca in some ways, but Papa was legit thick, so he looked like he could have really banged. So he is big, but he doesn't actually enforce that bigness. You know the way Boogie is always into guy's bodies, constantly? Papa is the opposite. He only takes up his own space but rarely seems to lean on other guys and take away theirs.

-- same issue applies to rebounding. He is capable of grabbing rebounds with his size, but not of dominating guys, grabbing them out of his space, blocking guys out etc. He seems to be more solid than anything else there. Gets his, but not anybody else's.

-- defensively there are issues. First, as a big man had a really curious tendency overseas that carried over to the U.S. to somehow always ALMOST block a shot. He seemed to be back there, he's very tall, long, and yet when you watch vids he almost never got blocked shots. Guys would come in and shoot it right over him even though he had the arm up, and seem to finish at a high rate. And it didn't really seem like lack of effort. But truly a lack of knack, timing, etc. Greg Ostertag was big like that and had a knack for getting tot he ball. Somehow Pap seemed like a 7'2" guy who might struggle to block a shot a game.

-- Other part of defense is of course the extreme pressure the "modern NBA" is putting on big guys to have to be able to cover pick and rolls all the way out to the 3pt line, and simply put, Papa can't.

-- and while Cousins was dismayed at the pick -- and indeed when you look back on it its not hard to see that Vlade was actually already laying the groundwork for trading Cousins by deluding himself into thinking Papa was going to be the new Euro-ball heir apparent -- Boogie and Papa seemed to be on friendly terms, joked around, supposedly Cousins spent time mentoring him, and Ppa had some very nice things to say about Boogie's help in his early career at the time Boogie was traded. I think if you asked Boogie the bigger question about picking up Papa might be that he's just not very good as opposed to there being any personal problem there. Possibly quite the opposite actually.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 02-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I mean..why?

If you can pick up a better roleplayer for free, who is Cheick Diallo and what is this supposed potential that you would say "oh no no no, don't want any guys who can help, we gotta develop Cheick?" Maybe he can develop, don't know,but are people seriously thinking he's ever going to develop into anything more than a role player? And I don't know what the role will be given his size and defensive issues. Maybe he can stretch hsi game all the way to the corners and become a new Cunningham or something with a little more offense.

Can see the argument against picking up a fossil who won't be around in the future, but even that depends on saying that making the playoffs this year isn't important. But a decent NBA player, or another young guy who might have as much potential? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

I always wondered....What is the Benefit to the team to do a buyout other than letting the young guys get more minutes? In the end, Does the team get some money back?

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I always wondered....What is the Benefit to the team to do a buyout other than letting the young guys get more minutes? In the end, Does the team get some money back?
    Say the player is owed 4 million they settle on 2 million and then they release him and he can go sign for another team of his choice . Something like that anyway .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Maybe Reed is the plan. How's he been this season?
    Stat wise the same 10MPG. 4.6 PPG 2.9 TRB
    Less efficient than last season.

Dont expect him to be a starter. 10-15 MPG guy.

Thread Information