Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Liggins signs with the Pels

Liggins signs with the Pels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liggins that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expected him back if we did not need the roster spot. However, a little surprised by the timing. With 4 days left until the deadline, I would have expected Dell to leave the roster spot available in the event of a trade offer that would require an additional spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Expected him back if we did not need the roster spot. However, a little surprised by the timing. With 4 days left until the deadline, I would have expected Dell to leave the roster spot available in the event of a trade offer that would require an additional spot.
    Wouldn't be hard to release Okafor from his 10 day if needed

Love to see Liggins back, he plays good defense

Yeah, I like this. All season our biggest issue was defense, and with the loss of Cousins our offense has taken a hit. Obviously the best way to come back from that is add a little more offense, which we did with Mirotic, and try and add to the defense, which this move does. Liggins is a great defender and when Solo comes back a lineup of Jrue, Liggins, Solo, Mirotic, and AD will be ferocious defensively without completely destroying the offense.
    Basketball.

I like it.
    RIP FlyGirl

I like it too!

My guess is the 2nd year of this deal is a team option allowing us to use him in trades if we need to this summer because he can just be filler.

Doesn't affect us at the trade deadline since we can just release Okafor from his 10 day but allows Liggins to get back to the team. I'm a fan of the deal. Liggins played some solid off the bench ball for us.

I do wonder if this means we aren't targeting a guard in a trade then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My guess is the 2nd year of this deal is a team option allowing us to use him in trades if we need to this summer because he can just be filler.

Doesn't affect us at the trade deadline since we can just release Okafor from his 10 day but allows Liggins to get back to the team. I'm a fan of the deal. Liggins played some solid off the bench ball for us.

I do wonder if this means we aren't targeting a guard in a trade then.
    I think if we are going to get a guard that is going to be a big contributor here it likely means Moore will have to go. He's one of our best assets and will be valuable to the right team. So Liggins gives us some insurance in this case as well. Either way good signing. If he can somehow become a decent3 point shooter this is a very good signing for some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I think if we are going to get a guard that is going to be a big contributor here it likely means Moore will have to go. He's one of our best assets and will be valuable to the right team. So Liggins gives us some insurance in this case as well. Either way good signing. If he can somehow become a decent3 point shooter this is a very good signing for some depth.
    I would have to imagine Moore is far too valuable to us to trade at the deadline.

I would have to imagine Moore is far too valuable to us to trade at the deadline.
    He's one of the few assets we have to be able to trade, and if we do pick up a wing or another good PG, Moore will probably be part of that package... Pretty interesting that all of a sudden he only played 12 minutes, with no explanation why, then next day we re-sign liggins back...

Could be reading to much into it, or it could mean something

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    He's one of the few assets we have to be able to trade, and if we do pick up a wing or another good PG, Moore will probably be part of that package... Pretty interesting that all of a sudden he only played 12 minutes, with no explanation why, then next day we re-sign liggins back...

You're reading too much into it.

Yea, really doubt Moore is going to be traded next week. For GA and sm: give us an example of a realistic trade involving Moore that would get the Pels a better player than him on just as good a contract. And keep in mind, the other team would have to agree, and Pels don't want to take on a lot of extra long-term salary.

Moore is probably our 4th best player right now. It just makes no sense to trade him at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea, really doubt Moore is going to be traded next week. For GA and sm: give us an example of a realistic trade involving Moore that would get the Pels a better player than him on just as good a contract. And keep in mind, the other team would have to agree, and Pels don't want to take on a lot of extra long-term salary.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y92rsdy7
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yagokpvp
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya9tvyu9

Just some examples, not sure if they even plausable without having 1st round picks

Moore is probably our 4th best player right now. It just makes no sense to trade him at the deadline.
    He's still expendable for the right deal

How does it make no sense to trade him? If it's the right player it absolutely makes sense to trade him. If Moore being included in a package to bring in someone like Fournier you do it. I could see a 3rd team giving a 1st rounder for him allowing us to package something Like Diallo and another teams 1st with whatever we want to throw in for Fournier. We won win big with Moore as our 4th best player and he is basically our only way to get that player. No do I give him up just to make a trade? Absolutely not.. one of the great things about his deal when we signed him was he had the potential to help bring in a bigger deal if he played to his potential.

I don't know you might have something here.. I didn't even think about it.. no other explanation for why Moore didn't see more minutes.. if we are planning on bringing in another stud player sadly Moore is going to be what it takes for that to happen. I'm a huge Moore fan and would hate to see him go but there are a few players I would gladly move him to acquire.

It makes no sense because we cannot package him with other assets (because we have none until after the draft) to bring in a better player.

At best we trade him for a lateral move. The other option is we package him with NEGATIVE assets and we get a worse player.

We are in the middle of a playoff push. You don't trade your good players for worse players in that situation.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If you can upgrade him...why wouldn't you wanna move him? He's got a good contract and he's got usable talents...another team might need him more than we do. I don't know.

I didn't see the Cousins trade coming at all...but still. I think there's no move forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If you can upgrade him...why wouldn't you wanna move him? He's got a good contract and he's got usable talents...another team might need him more than we do. I don't know.

I didn't see the Cousins trade coming at all...but still. I think there's no move forthcoming.
    How do you upgrade him when the next pick you can trade is 2022?

How do we even know it will be an upgrade adding a brand new player to a team in the middle of a playoff push for a guy who has 2 years in the system and knows his role?

All I'm saying is people need to be freaking realistic. Moore doesn't net us a star by himself, all other move able assets are negative, and we don't have a 1st to offer for 4 years...

I'd move Moore too as part of a package for a star, but we don't have the package to do it at the deadline.

It makes no sense because we cannot package him with other assets (because we have none until after the draft) to bring in a better player.

At best we trade him for a lateral move. The other option is we package him with NEGATIVE assets and we get a worse player.

We are in the middle of a playoff push. You don't trade your good players for worse players in that situation.
    Or you trade a good SG, which is a position of strength for us with Holiday, Moore, and now Liggins, for a position of weakness such as PG where we have an underperforming Rondo, Clark, and James (who is on a 2 way), or SF, and hopefully attach Ajinca along with that trade, even if you have to throw in a 2nd rounder or 2

Or you trade a good SG, which is a position of strength for us with Holiday, Moore, and now Liggins, for a position of weakness such as PG where we have an underperforming Rondo, Clark, and James (who is on a 2 way), or SF, and hopefully attach Ajinca along with that trade, even if you have to throw in a 2nd rounder or 2
    Liggins, a guy we just picked up off of 10 day contracts, and a minimum level player now makes Shooting Guard a position of strength?!?! Come on dude....

We have Jrue, Moore, and Clark as good guards on our team. We should NOT use Moore to try and dump Ajinca, and we shouldn't try and trade him for another guard that we don't know how they will fit in our system when we are trying to make the playoffs.

Liggins, a guy we just picked up off of 10 day contracts, and a minimum level player now makes Shooting Guard a position of strength?!?! Come on dude....

We have Jrue, Moore, and Clark as good guards on our team. We should NOT use Moore to try and dump Ajinca, and we shouldn't try and trade him for another guard that we don't know how they will fit in our system when we are trying to make the playoffs.
    If Liggins plays like he did during the 2-10 day contracts we gave him, then yes it does become a position of strength..

He would immediately be our 3rd best guard behind Jrue and Moore if he keeps playing like that

Thread Information