Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diallo Needs His Minutes

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Sullinger?
    Jared Sullinger that's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Jared Sullinger that's the one!
    hmm, he's 6'9 but I thought short wingspan was one of his drawbacks. Plus he's had problems with being overweight / out of game-shape, and he was more of a post scorer and 3-shooter. Surely you're thinking of some other former Celtic that reminds you of Diallo?

Maybe Leon Powe, but he was more of a strong/heavy post-scorer

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    hmm, he's 6'9 but I thought short wingspan was one of his drawbacks. Plus he's had problems with being overweight / out of game-shape, and he was more of a post scorer and 3-shooter. Surely you're thinking of some other former Celtic that reminds you of Diallo?

Maybe Leon Powe, but he was more of a strong/heavy post-scorer
    Nah he had almost a 7'2 wingspan. Similar height and wingspan. Diallo has a problem with his weight too. He can't gain any. I compare them though because Diallo has basically no outside game, is too short to play center, but has a really long wingspan. His energy allows him to make plays every once in awhile but until he puts on weight and can be a consistent threat outside of the paint, while not constantly fouling on defense, he's going to be a worse Sullinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Nah he had almost a 7'2 wingspan. Similar height and wingspan. Diallo has a problem with his weight too. He can't gain any. I compare them though because Diallo has basically no outside game, is too short to play center, but has a really long wingspan. His energy allows him to make plays every once in awhile but until he puts on weight and can be a consistent threat outside of the paint, while not constantly fouling on defense, he's going to be a worse Sullinger.
    Lol, I guess they do share a weight issue, although on opposite ends of the spectrum. Which is partly why I can't really see the comparison between the two. Diallo is a raw, high-energy player with a quick jump and shot-blocking ability, but lacks the weight/bulk to block out big players for rebounds or back them down in the post. Sullinger was a 270 lbs. skilled post player a la J. Oakafor, who used his big body to block out but lacked the hops to be much of a shot-blocking presence, or the motor and speed to keep up in transition. Just seem like two completely different players to make that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Lol, I guess they do share a weight issue, although on opposite ends of the spectrum. Which is partly why I can't really see the comparison between the two. Diallo is a raw, high-energy player with a quick jump and shot-blocking ability, but lacks the weight/bulk to block out big players for rebounds or back them down in the post. Sullinger was a 270 lbs. skilled post player a la J. Oakafor, who used his big body to block out but lacked the hops to be much of a shot-blocking presence, or the motor and speed to keep up in transition. Just seem like two completely different players to make that comparison.
    Like I said, both had no game outside the paint and lacked size to match their wingspan. Jared was better up until this point specifically because he had the weight to bang low and not get pushed off the block while defending. When I called Diallo a worse Jared sullinger up until this point, that's the reason. Diallo doesn't really fit any mold because he is a tweener that doesn't really fit anywhere yet.

Sullenger also had health issues. In his draft he was projected to be a top 5 pick, but then it was revealed that he had back problems that limited him. Also, he had one leg that was shorter than the other so he was always walking in circles.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I just wished dudes like Diallo wouldn't worry about their entire game and focus in on defense and rebounding ala dennis rodman. same can be said for my ex-tigers tyrus thomas and stromile swift who both whiffed in the league.

don't get me wrong, you gotta be able to hit your shot to space the floor in today's NBA- but you gotta get possessed to get the damn ball off the boards and away from the other team first

Diallo is a good rebounder tho? He had like 10 in 10 minutes last game

Thread Information