Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Monroe signs with the Celtics

The Franchise
    Oh well. Who’s next? I’m guessing we wait for buyouts

Well those who wanted Lopez are probably happy. We will still bring in 1 more big.

What a baaaad decision. He have 0 chance to win championship there. Greg You are stupid!

Nooooooooo

Well that sucks

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Did I read somewhere that we offered a trade for Randle without having to give up about first. Is that true or speculation? If that's true what's the chances we go that route as a backup? Because we definitely need another big.

Screw him! Good luck riding the bench while they get swept in the finals. Keep your seatbelt on while riding the bench.

#PelsLife

More money and let’s be honest, Monroe was not going to get starter level minutes here either with Gentry.

All Monroe probably had to look at was how the non-Cousins bigs have been used with Gentry on this roster. See his opportunity is probably not far off in either team and went with the money and prestige of Boston’s current rising star.

They offered him 5m for the rest of the year.

We could only offer him 550kish.

He will get very limited playing time and probably sign a not big contract next year. Oh well. Moving on to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Screw him! Good luck riding the bench while they get swept in the finals. Keep your seatbelt on while riding the bench.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    They offered him 5m for the rest of the year.

We could only offer him 550kish.

He will get very limited playing time and probably sign a not big contract next year. Oh well. Moving on to the next one.
    It was about 2.2mil we could have given him

This is a blessing.

Monroe would have clogged the lane and played terrible defense.

If making the playoffs in the goal then we need to get AD as much space as possible and maximize his touches. Monroe would have been going in the opposite direction.

I don't blame him. He is closer to winning a title with the Celts than he would be here. He will get playing time with the Celtics as well, Aron Baynes is their starting center, I mean how hard will it honestly be to take his minuets? Not very. He will get like 12-15 min a game with the Celts.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Plus, an opportunity to start and get his status up for a better contract in the offseason while playing in the playoffs for your home team. You can’t fault Dell and them for not trying. It’s just stupid on Monroe part.

I don't think the celtics even make it to the finals. Putting my money on either Cavs, despite all the drama, or the Raptors.

Either way, good luck Monroe

Yes assuming we used a trade exception. Sorry I was talking about the regular offer because I assumed we were signing a 2nd player and would hard cap ourselves for just Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Plus, an opportunity to start and get his status up for a better contract in the offseason while playing in the playoffs for your home team. You can’t fault Dell and them for not trying. It’s just stupid on Monroe part.
    Or you come to New Orleans, get asked to over-achieve because we lack the roster depth and role players to help mask your deficiencies, for a coach that is allergic to traditional big men, and you end up in China like Motiejunas after he chose New Orleans to help showcase himself with more playing time. Done to try and nab another offer akin to the 37 million the Nets offered him and the Rockets screwed him out of.

....on another note, Pels probably need to contact Bogut and cross their fingers Brook Lopez or Nerlens Noel will get bought out, unless they seriously think Diallo is ready for significant minutes on a playoff push.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Or you come to New Orleans, get asked to over-achieve because we lack the roster depth and role players to help mask your deficiencies, for a coach that is allergic to traditional big men, and you end up in China like Motiejunas after he chose New Orleans to help showcase himself with more playing time. Done to try and nab another offer akin to the 37 million the Nets offered him and the Rockets screwed him out of.

....on another note, Pels probably need to contact Bogut and cross their fingers Brook Lopez or Nerlens Noel will get bought out, unless they seriously think Diallo is ready for significant minutes on a playoff push.
    He's no Motiejunas, but if he wants to get paid next season, he should be willing to play big minutes for a team that will need him to be useful. Anyway, it's done, on to the next

What next

More money and let’s be honest, Monroe was not going to get starter level minutes here either with Gentry.

All Monroe probably had to look at was how the non-Cousins bigs have been used with Gentry on this roster. See his opportunity is probably not far off in either team and went with the money and prestige of Boston’s current rising star.
    He certainly would have. The difference is that Cousins is not playing. That is a lot of minutes needed to be absorbed,

What next
    Lopez buyout, Randle, maybe one of the bigs Atlanta has, only Dell knows. But I believe he will still net us some more help

I just want to say this, the arbitrary cutoff date to qualify for a disabled player exception is utterly anger inducing.

It shouldn’t be lost in all this that that arbitrary deadline is the sole reason we could not get Monroe. Boston qualified for an 8.4 million exception because of Hayward, we qualified for nothing with Boogie because it happened after that ridiculously arbitrary deadline. Cousins goes down two weeks earlier, we have a similar exception, Monroe is a Pelican.

If I were Benson and still coherent, I would be absolutely livid at the league for this nonsense.

I just want to say this, the arbitrary cutoff date to qualify for a disabled player exception is utterly anger inducing.

It shouldn’t be lost in all this that that arbitrary deadline is the sole reason we could not get Monroe. Boston qualified for an 8.4 million exception because of Hayward, we qualified for nothing with Boogie because it happened after that ridiculously arbitrary deadline. Cousins goes down two weeks earlier, we have a similar exception, Monroe is a Pelican.

If I were Benson and still coherent, I would be absolutely livid at the league for this nonsense.
    Yep, there is no logical reason to have a cut off date

Thread Information