Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic deal done ✅

Anyone who thinks we can turn around and move Mirotic for more value this offseason is wearing rose colored glasses. Mirotic loses value as he approaches the end of his contract. We also cant afford to resign Mirotic longterm so someone tell me what the realistic best case longterm scenario is?

...we get to go McDonalds
    Doesn't this also give us frontcourt insurance in the event Boogie heads elsewhere this offseason. It shouldn't be a foregone conclusion he's resigning here.

I'm very eh on this trade, because if Asik in a year is actually an asset, then I'd rather wait it out + keep that 1st rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Doesn't this also give us frontcourt insurance in the event Boogie heads elsewhere this offseason. It shouldn't be a foregone conclusion he's resigning here.

I'm very eh on this trade, because if Asik in a year is actually an asset, then I'd rather wait it out + keep that 1st rounder.
    He wouldnt be an asset, but he also wouldnt be as big of a negative and would probably net a better return attached to a first.

Yeah. I feel like I was one of the staunchest proponents of "not messing up the future to save this season" and I dig this trade. Guess some people just can't be pleased. Monroe would be so good. Digging this. Was kind of in a depressive state where I missed a game or two after the Boogie Pop but this has me back.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Now that we have Mirotic, what would be the odds of Dell pulling off another trade?

Something like Ajinca and the 2nd rounder (with a future 2nd) for Elfrid Payton?

We could still sign Monroe and Liggins

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Now that we have Mirotic, what would be the odds of Dell pulling off another trade?

Something like Ajinca and the 2nd rounder (with a future 2nd) for Elfrid Payton?

We could still sign Monroe and Liggins
    I was just thinking, the ability to make another deal is surely possible. Don't think Lou Williams is attainable anymore, but who knows? Payton would be great. I also wouldn't be opposed to parting with the 2nd for a guy like Demarre Carroll.

If Dell manages to get rid of Asik AND Ajinca in a week's time, I will never tweet #FireDempsToo again.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I was just thinking, the ability to make another deal is surely possible. Don't think Lou Williams is attainable anymore, but who knows? Payton would be great. I also wouldn't be opposed to parting with the 2nd for a guy like Demarre Carroll.
    Carroll would be way to expensive at 14.8 this year, and 15.4 next year.. Pretty much no way to make that happen anymore now that we have Mirotic

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Carroll would be way to expensive at 14.8 this year, and 15.4 next year.. Pretty much no way to make that happen anymore now that we have Mirotic
    Yea Carroll is off the board with this Mirotic trade. He would have been okay, but I like Mirotic's fit better, he's actually a lot more versatile than Ry-And, and just as good a shooter, even better this year.

Payton would be a good option fa sho, not sure just a 2nd with Ajinca gets him, though. Maybe Diallo added, too.

Didn't realize Carroll is making that much money. Holy cow.

Mirotic deal done ✅

AD was very happy with this move that’s all I need to hear for me to know this was the right move . AD and Cousins opinion is what matters the most keeping those guys happy not some 1st round pick that won’t contribute for years .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    a rebuilding team would rather Asik and a first (plus whatever other kind of assets). Also I know FA is after the draft, Im talking about in trades. I know a lot about the NBA, but I'm not going to be condescending about it. So please, dont do that. Youre doing that a lot. Please assume I know what I'm talking about aka don't MM me.
    Where have I been anything but cordial in my discussions? We disagree on opinion but are having a back and forth. Let's not attempt to derail the conversation we are having by trying to throw ulterior motives around.

As far as your points go, the teams cannot have Asik and our 2018 1st in the summer in a trade. They can only have Asik plus whatever player we drafted who the other team may have little to no interest in. Mirotic is an expiring next year, his value in any trade that would be possible this summer is far higher than what Asik's would be. Any pick we could bundle with Asik this summer can still be bundled with Mirotic this summer.

This trade doesn't hurt our summer trade abilities at all. It gives us a valuable asset that if we decide we don't want to keep we can easily include in any deal.

My argument would be a mid 1st rounder after they are drafted and before they have played a single game has less value or equal value to Mirotic on an expiring contract that allows the team to keep his Birds Rights.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-01-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea Carroll is off the board with this Mirotic trade. He would have been okay, but I like Mirotic's fit better, he's actually a lot more versatile than Ry-And, and just as good a shooter, even better this year.

Payton would be a good option fa sho, not sure just a 2nd with Ajinca gets him, though. Maybe Diallo added, too.
    I'd throw in another 2nd to keep Diallo, or give an option for 1st round pick swap (doubt they would go for that)

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Anyone who thinks we can turn around and move Mirotic for more value this offseason is wearing rose colored glasses. Mirotic loses value as he approaches the end of his contract. We also cant afford to resign Mirotic longterm so someone tell me what the realistic best case longterm scenario is?
    I'm with you I just don't see the long term benefits. One more year obviously is better than an expiring deal, but Cousins will likely miss time next year even if we can retain him and not likely to be back to 100%(if ever) for 18months. Why are we making win now moves?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm with you I just don't see the long term benefits. One more year obviously is better than an expiring deal, but Cousins will likely miss time next year even if we can retain him and not likely to be back to 100%(if ever) for 18months. Why are we making win now moves?
    Recent history says Cousins can be back to 100% long before 18 months. You're talking August of 2019. Where are you getting that from?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Recent history says Cousins can be back to 100% long before 18 months. You're talking August of 2019. Where are you getting that from?
    From all I've heard about achilles injuies it takes about 18months before athletes feel 100%. That's not to say he won't be able to play and/or in no risk of farther injury. Just that guys don't get full athleticism back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    If Dell manages to get rid of Asik AND Ajinca in a week's time, I will never tweet #FireDempsToo again.
    Love the AVI

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You can have all the first rounders when Davis leaves.
    Why keep them now?
    You need to show Davis we are serious about contending.
    You can't do this with 18 to 20 year old kids.
    This.

Did I also see that Mirotic is also 26? Even with the little basketball knowledge I have, we sign Monroe and that is an impressive group of players. If Mirotic plays like he played against us the other night, this is a huge gain.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Even more reason to like the mirotic trade. It allows us to stay competitive next year instead of just resigning to giving up on this year AND next.

AD wants to win. Could you imagine trying to tell him, "we are committed to winning we just need you to wait 2 more seasons."

Good luck with that.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Even more reason to like the mirotic trade. It allows us to stay competitive next year instead of just resigning to giving up on this year AND next.

AD wants to win. Could you imagine trying to tell him, "we are committed to winning we just need you to wait 2 more seasons."

Good luck with that.
    Fair enough. But what qualifies as winning? A 1st round exit from the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Fair enough. But what qualifies as winning? A 1st round exit from the playoffs?
    I can tell you what isn't winning, Trying to tank for that "1 more player".

AD wants the playoffs. Getting him there is the only possible path forward to keeping him.

People, get this through your head, we are not winning anything of significance as long as the Warriors are in their prime. Let’s just enjoy a Memphis or CP3 Clippers type of playoff run until the salary cap catches up to Golden State, whenever that will be.

Rodney Hood would be a great get too.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Rodney Hood would be a great get too.
    I would love that but that’s highly unlikely now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Good luck with that.
    I’m I the only one who thought we were built as a more athletic and better shooting version of Memphis when they should have beaten Golden State. I think we could give them a run for their money next year when Boogie resigns.

Thread Information