Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic deal done ✅

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You keep saying this as of Mirotic isn't signed for next year as well. There are two options that will happen...

1) We keep him and we have the best 3 man big rotation in the entire league.

2) We trade him (in the summer or during the season) and recoup a large portion of the value we spent or get more players that fit and help us.

We've already won no matter what happens.
    An expiring Mirotic will not net a mid first. We are paying the Bulls both for eating an extra half season of Asik's contract and giving us an extra half season of Niko. That's value lost by this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'd still be ok firing Demps tomorrow. Cousins and Mirotic are not elite GM moves. They are pretty much standard fare any non-incompetent GM should be able to pull off. Cousins was simply because we picked Buddy. Bulls wanted a first for Mirotic, they got it. They are below the salary floor so they are in a position to take on salary like Asik. I guess good on him bringing in a second rounder though.

That doesn't automatically make this a bad trade though. Its actually a very good deal IMO.

I would move on from Demps because I have little faith in him threading the knot that is coming up with Cousins contract. Thats where a great GM would make his money. Take this move to leverage Cousins, who shares an agency with Niko, to make things favorable for all parties, knowing the risk of a 270 pound guy, who likely will not garner a max from any team, coming back from a serious achilles injury. Done in order to maximize the roster's potential.
    All my history with Demps has led me to believe that he will full max Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    yea I said Rivers was bad, everyone else told me he was a good pick. Back in 2012
    So now you are talking in circles. By your description above, he is an example of a long-term asset that we should not want to trade for a veteran. The chances of hitting on a player in the teens to twenties is slim (although possible). It is a risk and if it were a top 10 pick, I would be agreeing. However, I am pretty comfortable that pick will not be top 10.

An expiring Mirotic will not net a mid first. We are paying the Bulls both for eating an extra half season of Asik's contract and giving us an extra half season of Niko. That's value lost by this offseason.
    Mirotic didn't net a mid 1st from us. We got a 2nd round pick back and dumped Asik's contract. There is value in those things as well.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I knew today would be an awesome day.

If we get Monroe....I really like our chances to make a top 5 seed. We will actually have some depth on the bench and rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So now you are talking in circles. By your description above, he is an example of a long-term asset that we should not want to trade for a veteran. The chances of hitting on a player in the teens to twenties is slim (although possible). It is a risk and if it were a top 10 pick, I would be agreeing. However, I am pretty comfortable that pick will not be top 10.
    No Demps inability to draft is on himself. There have been plenty of good players available in the teens over the years. I'm not even saying you keep the 2018 first. But you make a deal in the 2018 offseason from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness. It would be nice if we'd kept all our picks and used our capspace differently and we'd be in a better shape than we are now. But we can't. All we can do is make the right decisions for the longterm health of the franchise and this was not one of them.

If you think that NO pick without Niko would have ended up in the 20s you're delusional. It more than likely still won't.

Good teams build through the draft. Or accumulate assets/flexibility to make big moves. We have done none of those things. This team is capped out and is still short of contention.

Mirotic didn't net a mid 1st from us. We got a 2nd round pick back and dumped Asik's contract. There is value in those things as well.
    But Asik becomes barely worse than an expiring in a couple of months. A 2nd round pick is mostly nothing. In a few months the Bulls would be begging us to swap Mirotic for Asik and a first and offer to throw in Holiday or Portis too when Asik's contract becomes more palatable and Niko becomes an expiring.

Dont believe me? ask Utah how those Favors offers are going.

But Asik becomes barely worse than an expiring in a couple of months. A 2nd round pick is mostly nothing. In a few months the Bulls would be begging us to swap Mirotic for Asik and a first and offer to throw in Holiday or Portis too when Asik's contract becomes more palatable and Niko becomes an expiring.

Dont believe me? ask Utah how those Favors offers are going.
    Asik isn't an expiring in a couple of months. His value comes in the summer of 2019. He is still a negative this summer.

And why the heck would we want to take Portis? He is the entire reason Mirotic demanded to be traded.

We dumped 3 players, got back Mirotic and a 2nd, created enough cap space to sign Monroe and another player all for the cost of a 1st which has higher odds of busting than playing meaningful minutes.

I didn't think anyone could be upset with this trade, but yet again the internet one ups itself.

Good teams build through the draft. Or accumulate assets/flexibility to make big moves. We have done none of those things. This team is capped out and is still short of contention.
    We made our big move last season in trading for Cousins. As soon as that trade was made we were all in. Everything since then has been with that in mind.

Every team outside of Golden State is short of contention. That doesn't mean you throw up your hands and give up.

We made our big move last season in trading for Cousins. As soon as that trade was made we were all in. Everything since then has been with that in mind.

Every team outside of Golden State is short of contention. That doesn't mean you throw up your hands and give up.
    Agree 100%... this move puts us in great position for next year.

No Demps inability to draft is on himself. There have been plenty of good players available in the teens over the years. I'm not even saying you keep the 2018 first. But you make a deal in the 2018 offseason from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness. It would be nice if we'd kept all our picks and used our capspace differently and we'd be in a better shape than we are now. But we can't. All we can do is make the right decisions for the longterm health of the franchise and this was not one of them.

If you think that NO pick without Niko would have ended up in the 20s you're delusional. It more than likely still won't.

Good players in the teens... maybe like 2-3 at best every year.

Great move by the Pelicans. Mirotic is in the Western Conference, now. Versatile player who is only 26. He’s having his best year despite missing a big chunk of the season. If needed, he can play the 3. Greg Monroe come on down! 2018-19 is looking good if Cousins re-signs.

Asik isn't an expiring in a couple of months. His value comes in the summer of 2019. He is still a negative this summer.

And why the heck would we want to take Portis? He is the entire reason Mirotic demanded to be traded.

We dumped 3 players, got back Mirotic and a 2nd, created enough cap space to sign Monroe and another player all for the cost of a 1st which has higher odds of busting than playing meaningful minutes.

I didn't think anyone could be upset with this trade, but yet again the internet one ups itself.
    yea I'm sure you thought the same thing about the Asik trade. And I was in the minority against that too.

I will say at least I'm excited to watch the new look Pelicans. I like Monroe and Mirotic an awful lot. But when Kemba and others start flying around to new teams this offseason and you're thinking to yourself we could have had this guy or that guy if we had more assets, I'll be there. Reminding you of this deal.

Something else I really like diving into Mirotic is his consistency. He has had 1, just 1 single digit scoring game this season when he plays at least 25 minutes.

That is David West style consistency.

Only one game where he didn't make a three. Often at least two and rarely dipping below 33% on them.

he currently averages 25 minutes in 17-6.5, 47%, 43% from three. I know its a risky, often throwaway state, but per 46 he would be a 24 and 9 player. That is pretty impressive of a haul for a late first rounder. And quite the insurance for Cousins.

Something else I really like diving into Mirotic is his consistency. He has had 1, just 1 single digit scoring game this season when he plays at least 25 minutes.

Only one game where he didn't make a three. Often at least two and rarely dipping below 33% on them.

he currently averages 25 minutes in 17-6.5, 47%, 43% from three. I know its a risky, often throwaway state, but per 46 he would be a 24 and 9 player. That is pretty impressive of a haul for a late first rounder. And quite the insurance for Cousins.
    I like Mirotic but his consistency over 25 games does not outweigh the inconsistency over his career. I hope he's figured it out as he's always been a talented player but before this season he was about as inconsistent as they come.

yea I'm sure you thought the same thing about the Asik trade. And I was in the minority against that too.

I will say at least I'm excited to watch the new look Pelicans. I like Monroe and Mirotic an awful lot. But when Kemba and others start flying around to new teams this offseason and you're thinking to yourself we could have had this guy or that guy if we had more assets, I'll be there. Reminding you of this deal.
    Free agency is after the draft. We will still be able to make moves in the off season and we will own all of our future picks moving forward. If we wanted Kemba this summer, we could get him.

Hell, Mirotic could probably be used in that trade to get him easier.

I think he’s our latest Ryno which isn’t a bad deal for a mid-late first. Plus, dumping Asik in the process ain’t bad either.

I like Mirotic but his consistency over 25 games does not outweigh the inconsistency over his career. I hope he's figured it out as he's always been a talented player but before this season he was about as inconsistent as they come.
    I think it is fair to judge him based on the 25 games this season. He obviously made some improvements and added some weight over the last off-season. He could thrive even more on this pels roster, especially when boogie comes back. We need to keep everyone healthy throughout next year. If we can get/stay healthy, we will be hard to beat.

Free agency is after the draft. We will still be able to make moves in the off season and we will own all of our future picks moving forward. If we wanted Kemba this summer, we could get him.

Hell, Mirotic could probably be used in that trade to get him easier.
    a rebuilding team would rather Asik and a first (plus whatever other kind of assets). Also I know FA is after the draft, Im talking about in trades. I know a lot about the NBA, but I'm not going to be condescending about it. So please, dont do that. Youre doing that a lot. Please assume I know what I'm talking about aka don't MM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I think he’s our latest Ryno which isn’t a bad deal for a mid-late first. Plus, dumping Asik in the process ain’t bad either.
    Ugh I hope he plays much better than Anderson. We really need him to be.

yea I said Rivers was bad, everyone else told me he was a good pick. Back in 2012
    This kind of hurts he entire case you are trying to make.. Rivers and majority of the draft behind him is a perfect example of why we shouldn't hold to much value in a mid 1st round pick at best.. we have a couple of young potential contributors on the team in Jackson and Diallo while still being able to add more in the upcoming draft. We don't need much more young talent then that when it would only hurt us with what we are trying to do.

LoL how can you seriously say Asik and his expiring contract along with the 1st would be worth more in the off season then someone like Mirotic who is expiring as well but can actually be a missing piece for another team if we decide to go that route. We can easily flip him for a 1st rounder at the least for a desperate team. He is someone you can eat a very good deal in return with him as one of the main assets in a deal. You throw someone like Moore in with him and a future pick is a very good package in return giving us the potential to land a stud. Or we keep him and make a deep run next season while either extending him or using that expiring $ on something else. There are so many options Mirotic offers us creating a lot of flexibility.

Well I hope this means he’s gonna take the 12.5 option next year cause losing a 1st for a half year rental isn’t any good. Now we just got sign up Greg Monroe. If we make those moves who starts? AD at center or Monroe? Mirotic comes off the bench? Adding those two would have to make up for what we will miss from losing Cousins.

C: Monroe, Ajinca
    PF: AD, Mirotic, Diallo
    SF: Miller, Hill, DC
    SG: Moore, Clark, Cooke
    PG: Jrue, Rondo, James

Or small ball:

C: AD, Monroe, Ajinca
    PF: Mirotic, DC, Diallo
    SF: Moore, Miller, Hill
    SG: Jrue, Clark, Cooke
    PG: Rondo, James

Well, ignoring all of the contentious opinions being thrown around in this thread, I like the move a lot.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Well I hope this means he’s gonna take the 12.5 option next year cause losing a 1st for a half year rental isn’t any good. Now we just got sign up Greg Monroe. If we make those moves who starts? AD at center or Monroe? Mirotic comes off the bench? Adding those two would have to make up for what we will miss from losing Cousins.

C: Monroe, Ajinca
    PF: AD, Mirotic, Diallo
    SF: Miller, Hill, DC
    SG: Moore, Clark, Cooke
    PG: Jrue, Rondo, James

Or small ball:

C: AD, Monroe, Ajinca
    PF: Mirotic, DC, Diallo
    SF: Moore, Miller, Hill
    SG: Jrue, Clark, Cooke
    PG: Rondo, James
    His option being picked up for next year was a condition of the trade. He will be here next season.

Thread Information