Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic deal done ✅

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i think everyone wanted asik gone so yall know it would take a 1st to move him so i dont understand the complaining by some about this year 1st if you think we are playoff bound....
    Some folks don't understand that AD wants to make the playoffs this year and Benson wants to win over more casual fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    thats why I brought up the NBA too.

Just trying to come up with something I thought yall would understand as it's clear yall are not seeing the bigger picture here.
    So, you think a pick in the 18-22 range along with Asik is considerably better for the future of this team than Mirotic and an additional roster spot?

I am 100% confident that over the next two years we will look at what we are paying Mirotic more positively than the money we were going to be paying Asik.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

LoL but but but let's just all freak out prematurely condemning everyone from Benson to the janitor because the trade stalled and didn't get completed in your preferred time frame.. yet fans wonder why the organization give them any information or updates.. this is why people need to chill the hell out and let things play out.. happy to see this trade happen.. we now have a very good contributing piece for near the same $ as Asik.. most importantly we can move him easily next season to a desperate team allowing us to shed the salary if needed to accommodate a star.. unlike having to move Asik which takes giving teams compensation and usually taking on another bad contract just to get rid of him. This trade was a huge win and gives us much more fincancil flexibility if we need it. What a steal. Our roster pretty much has not one single bad deal with all of them being moveable and actual assets to other teams. Only somewhat bad one is Solo and I wouldn't consider that a bad contract for a player in his prime that is a very solid SF which is a thing position in the league with only 2 years left on his deal.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-01-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I am 100% confident that over the next two years we will look at what we are paying Mirotic more positively than the money we were going to be paying Asik.
    This x1000! The only way to get rid of Asik salary was to attach it to a 1st rounder. I’m glad at least we got a solid player back.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, you think a pick in the 18-22 range along with Asik is considerably better for the future of this team than Mirotic and an additional roster spot?
    You're getting 18-22 range after watching that home loss to the Kings? 18-22 was the range before Cousins got hurt. We could easily still be missing the playoffs. By the offseason the Pelicans would be lucky to get a pick in that range and an expiring for Niko.

And I really like Niko, but he's played 25 games of good basketball, and he's a player plagued with inconsistency throughout his career who is going to be impossible to afford beyond next season if he maintains this level of play.

This team needs longterm assets if the real goal of this team is to contend and keep Davis. we just watched another one slip away.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    This is all good healthy debate.

But I hope ya'll are ready to eat crow. I will be if this trade works out for us, but when Rivers was moved there weren't many here that owned up to being wrong.
    Rivers!!?? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Rivers!!?? ��
    yea I said Rivers was bad, everyone else told me he was a good pick. Back in 2012
    Last edited by Pelifan; 02-01-2018 at 02:53 PM.

You're getting 18-22 range after watching that home loss to the Kings? 18-22 was the range before Cousins got hurt. We could easily still be missing the playoffs. By the offseason the Pelicans would be lucky to get a pick in that range and an expiring for Niko.

And I really like Niko, but he's played 25 games of good basketball, and he's a player plagued with inconsistency throughout his career who is going to be impossible to afford beyond next season if he maintains this level of play.

This team needs longterm assets if the real goal of this team is to contend and keep Davis. we just watched another one slip away.
    If we end up missing the playoffs this year, then there will be a coaching change. Dell has done his part and bought the groceries.

I have yet to ever say, "Damn, I can't believe we got rid of Rivers!"

yea I said Rivers was bad, everyone else told me he was a good pick.
    Ah, I thought that you meant we would regret getting rid of him

Yeah, I remember he had a few backers in his early years here, but by and large people wanted Rivers gone.
    I didn't like that pick from the jump as I thought he was overrated, but I don't recall many people being heart broken when he left.

By the offseason Asik and whoever is drafted with that pick will have more value than an expiring Mirotic. A big part of Mirotics value comes from what he does over the next 30 or so games

Additionally it's going to be really difficult to keep Mirotic next season and beyond with all of our contracts unless Boogie takes a paycut. It's a typical short-term short sighted Dell move. Which I wouldn't have mined if Dell could have maximized his value. Dell is always negotiating from a point of weakness and that's why we've made so many trades like this and why the Holiday and Asik deals are so large in the first place. Dell spends every year thinking how can I keep my job for just one more year and it works for him every year, not so much for the Pelicans who have Davis and so far no playoff wins to show for it.
    Its really not that short-sighted compared to any number of his other moves. Mirotic actually gives you some leverage with Boogie's next contract. More so if you sign Greg Monroe as well. Now whether Dell uses that leverage is another matter entirely. I suspect he won't knowing his history.

Listen, I have NEVER liked ANY of the trades we have made under Demps for first rounders, including Jrue. You can go back and look at my post history to verify that. But this is materially different than those situations. In a good way.

I 100% disagree that Asik plus a Harry Giles, T.J. Leaf, John Collins, or Terrance Ferguson(guys taken around where our pick will be) will be a better trade asset this offseason and next, plus our first rounder, than Mirotic plus that first rounder.

Jazz fans are "upset" about losing out on Niko they have a 74 page thread going on Niko

This is all good healthy debate.

But I hope ya'll are ready to eat crow. I will be if this trade works out for us, but when Rivers was moved there weren't many here that owned up to being wrong.
    Being wrong in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    No chance. That would be against the NBA rules. We cannot sign Allen or Nelson if waived.
    Forgot about that.

I really dont get it though. Other than a few glass half full people I remember this board being very anti Demps. Then the Cousins trade went down and everyone flipped on him for reasons I dont understnad. Yea that was a great deal but the Kings might be the only team with a worse GM in the league.

Bottom line is Demps has been tenured too long to have this little results. We have very few remaining longterm assets and a very very messy contract situation that's going to cripple this team longterm. I don't know why anyone would be happy with his performance.

Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    By the offseason Asik and whoever is drafted with that pick will have more value than an expiring Mirotic. A big part of Mirotics value comes from what he does over the next 30 or so games

Additionally it's going to be really difficult to keep Mirotic next season and beyond with all of our contracts unless Boogie takes a paycut. It's a typical short-term short sighted Dell move. Which I wouldn't have mined if Dell could have maximized his value. Dell is always negotiating from a point of weakness and that's why we've made so many trades like this and why the Holiday and Asik deals are so large in the first place. Dell spends every year thinking how can I keep my job for just one more year and it works for him every year, not so much for the Pelicans who have Davis and so far no playoff wins to show for it.
    That is the problem with giving ultimatums to your GM/Coach. The best team in the NBA got there by drafting smart and filling needs with veteran role players. Yes, they added Durant but they were great before he got there. AD is the last draft pick we nailed. It seem every year we are trading away our picks.

That being said, this move would have been brilliant if we still had Boogie. But at this point it is just a desperate move to save their jobs...
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

And how good of a long term asset is a draft pick after its drafted and doesn't ball out?

How many 1st round players are playing in the G League and have we had on our summer league roster who just didn't stick around?

It's not about either or with value. It's about striking when something presents itself. That 19 yr old mid to late 1st round pick has just as good of odds of flopping out of the league as he does for becoming a rotational player and that's AFTER he develops for a few years.

We got a guy who can give us 30+ minutes of good basketball at a position of huge need this year and next, dumped Asik's contract, AND got a 2nd round pick all for the "potential" of a mid 1st round pick who may or may not ever be able to be even a rotation player.

It was a win.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't get this. We are in no position to do anything but make the playoffs. Is that really worth a 1st round pick? I like Niko, but he doesn't make us contenders. This kicking the can down the road philosophy has to stop. Trading away 1st for Cousins totally understandable giving up first for Asik and Mirotic is just killing any chance of us turning this team around in a reasonable amount of time.

The team's timetable is roughly 2-4 years.

The only way this team goes from low seed to high seed contender is to fill out the roster in a way where you can pull a Houston, OKC, or Minnesota, where you swing good role player contracts(like Mirotic/Moore/potentially Jrue) and future picks for a superstar on a team trending toward a rebuild or moving great players to bring in a greater player(think Klay and Iggy moving to bring in Lebron, god help us, or Dame getting moved for a partial rebuild). Ideally keeping your core intact. Then going into the luxury to keep key players. Using the playoff aura to attract low cost veterans like many contenders have done before.

There is no real strategy where you bank your 2-3 year window on 19-24 spot draft picks to become core contributors IMO.

I really dont get it though. Other than a few glass half full people I remember this board being very anti Demps. Then the Cousins trade went down and everyone flipped on him for reasons I dont understnad. Yea that was a great deal but the Kings might be the only team with a worse GM in the league.

Bottom line is Demps has been tenured too long to have this little results. We have very few remaining longterm assets and a very very messy contract situation that's going to cripple this team longterm. I don't know why anyone would be happy with his performance.

Only beef i have with Demps is the Asik contract (no longer an issue) and the hiring of Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by whoah whoah View Post
    That is the problem with giving ultimatums to your GM/Coach. The best team in the NBA got there by drafting smart and filling needs with veteran role players. Yes, they added Durant but they were great before he got there. AD is the last draft pick we nailed. It seem every year we are trading away our picks.

That being said, this move would have been brilliant if we still had Boogie. But at this point it is just a desperate move to save their jobs...
    Id agree with this entirely. I'm fine with a team on an upward trajectory making a win now move. With Mirotic and a healthy Cousins we could be well on our way to the 2nd round of the playoffs and given the Rockets or Warriors real trouble.

This is not a move you make with so much uncertainty. We don't even know where we will finish in the standings or what Cousins will look like as a player when he returns. Moving Asik and that 2018 first round pick or prospect for a win now move would have been available all the way up through next year's trade deadline. As it is now you are paying a lot of value for what Mirotic can add for the next 30 games. Games I see as moslty lost anyway in terms of meeting the real goal of keeping Davis here in NO.

I'd still be ok firing Demps tomorrow. Cousins and Mirotic are not elite GM moves. They are pretty much standard fare any non-incompetent GM should be able to pull off. Cousins was simply because we picked Buddy. Bulls wanted a first for Mirotic, they got it. They are below the salary floor so they are in a position to take on salary like Asik. I guess good on him bringing in a second rounder though.

That doesn't automatically make this a bad trade though. Its actually a very good deal IMO.

I would move on from Demps because I have little faith in him threading the knot that is coming up with Cousins contract. Thats where a great GM would make his money. Take this move to leverage Cousins, who shares an agency with Niko, to make things favorable for all parties, knowing the risk of a 270 pound guy, who likely will not garner a max from any team, coming back from a serious achilles injury. Done in order to maximize the roster's potential.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-01-2018 at 03:13 PM.

As it is now you are paying a lot of value for what Mirotic can add for the next 30 games.
    You keep saying this as of Mirotic isn't signed for next year as well. There are two options that will happen...

1) We keep him and we have the best 3 man big rotation in the entire league.

2) We trade him (in the summer or during the season) and recoup a large portion of the value we spent or get more players that fit and help us.

We've already won no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    And how good of a long term asset is a draft pick after its drafted and doesn't ball out?

How many 1st round players are playing in the G League and have we had on our summer league roster who just didn't stick around?

It's not about either or with value. It's about striking when something presents itself. That 19 yr old mid to late 1st round pick has just as good of odds of flopping out of the league as he does for becoming a rotational player and that's AFTER he develops for a few years.

We got a guy who can give us 30+ minutes of good basketball at a position of huge need this year and next, dumped Asik's contract, AND got a 2nd round pick all for the "potential" of a mid 1st round pick who may or may not ever be able to be even a rotation player.

It was a win.
    That's why you have to have a good scouting department. And if you don't like what is there we could have easily sent out Asik and that pick for Mirotic and additional value draft night. Asik's value is only going to become less and less negative as we near the end of his contract whil Niko becomes less and less positive. We could have easily in the offseason moved Asik, whoever we draft with the 2018 first and a 2019 for Kemba Walker or something.

The point is it is important to keep your options and flexibility open. Poorly run teams like the Cavs don't. Well run teams like the Warriors Spurs and Celtics do.

And if your GM cant scout players he should be fired anyway.

Thread Information