Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic deal done ✅

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    This is why you don't prematurely jump to conclusions.

Our writers know what they are talking about.

Well, that’s a good shot at me. I deserve it. I can admit when I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Mirotic is a good player. He's not desperation anything.

And the good GMing part is that Mirotic is also a good fit, both this season, AND next. And that was the trick there.
    I agree 100% with this

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    By the offseason Asik and whoever is drafted with that pick will have more value than an expiring Mirotic. A big part of Mirotics value comes from what he does over the next 30 or so games

Additionally it's going to be really difficult to keep Mirotic next season and beyond with all of our contracts unless Boogie takes a paycut. It's a typical short-term short sighted Dell move. Which I wouldn't have mined if Dell could have maximized his value. Dell is always negotiating from a point of weakness and that's why we've made so many trades like this and why the Holiday and Asik deals are so large in the first place. Dell spends every year thinking how can I keep my job for just one more year and it works for him every year, not so much for the Pelicans who have Davis and so far no playoff wins to show for it.
    Holiday's deal is not large. Especially considering he's having a fringe all-star year now. If you align his PER and contract with Jeff Teague's. They are about right where they should be.

Plus they would have gone after Mirotic whether Cousins got injured or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You can have all the first rounders when Davis leaves.
    Why keep them now?
    You need to show Davis we are serious about contending.
    You can't do this with 18 to 20 year old kids.
    Mirotic doesnt say contending to me. Holding out for a bigger play in the offseason does. With Mirotic NO will still have serious roster problems beyond this season at the guard and wing spots. I dont see the Mirotic addition helping beyond the next 2 years.

By the offseason Asik and whoever is drafted with that pick will have more value than an expiring Mirotic. A big part of Mirotics value comes from what he does over the next 30 or so games

Additionally it's going to be really difficult to keep Mirotic next season and beyond with all of our contracts unless Boogie takes a paycut. It's a typical short-term short sighted Dell move. Which I wouldn't have mined if Dell could have maximized his value. Dell is always negotiating from a point of weakness and that's why we've made so many trades like this and why the Holiday and Asik deals are so large in the first place. Dell spends every year thinking how can I keep my job for just one more year and it works for him every year, not so much for the Pelicans who have Davis and so far no playoff wins to show for it.
    Mirotic’s option for 18-19 was PICKED UP as a condition of the deal so he’s already locked in for next season.

This is a good trade, opens up rosters spots and gets Asik (a player out of the rotation) off the books.

Also, more moves are potentially coming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Holiday's deal is not large. Especially considering he's having a fringe all-star year now. If you align his PER and contract with Jeff Teague's. They are about right where they should be.

Plus they would have gone after Mirotic whether Cousins got injured or not.
    Teague's contract is not ideal either right now. 5 years 130 for Holiday is for sure a slight overpay. I'm not saying it's horrendous, but certainly not the hometown discount as it was touted as. The Asik deal was though and Demps got in to that by dealing a future first and then negotiating with Asik from a position of weakness.

I'm not sure the Pelicans go after Mirotic if Cousins doesnt get hurt. Their focus was always wing player.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 02-01-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    Mirotic’s option for 18-19 was PICKED UP as a condition of the deal so he’s already locked in for next season.

This is a good trade, opens up rosters spots and gets Asik (a player out of the rotation) off the books.

Also, more moves are potentially coming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mirotic will be an expiring contract come the offseason, you will see i said that if you read carefully.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 02-01-2018 at 01:50 PM.

I don't get this. We are in no position to do anything but make the playoffs. Is that really worth a 1st round pick? I like Niko, but he doesn't make us contenders. This kicking the can down the road philosophy has to stop. Trading away 1st for Cousins totally understandable giving up first for Asik and Mirotic is just killing any chance of us turning this team around in a reasonable amount of time.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 02-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Well, that’s a good shot at me. I deserve it. I can admit when I’m wrong.
    You were not alone. But the important thing is we got the deal we wanted. Hopefully Monroe is next.

Mirotic doesnt say contending to me. Holding out for a bigger play in the offseason does. With Mirotic NO will still have serious roster problems beyond this season at the guard and wing spots. I dont see the Mirotic addition helping beyond the next 2 years.
    The Pelicans will never contend.
    Not while GS are around.
    You have to atleast show Davis something though.
    Keeping picks or waiting for the next best thing isn't going to cut it

You don’t see how dominant we are going to be downlow next season with Boogie, AD, Mirotic, and a min big next season.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't get this. We are in no position to do anything but make the playoffs. Is that really worth a 1st round pick? I like Niko, but he doesn't make us contenders. This kicking the can down the road philosophy has to stop. Trying for Cousins totally understandable giving up first for Asik and Mirotic is just killing any chance of us turning this time around in a reasonable amount of time.
    Yes. To give an analogy here, the Saints had this mentality for years as an 8-8 team to just worry about the money later and had tons of big contracts and moved future picks etc etc. Then they finally let all those big contract obligations go away by semigutting the team and trusted the youth movement influx of young talent and were better for it.

Right now we look a lot like the Nets did under Billy King. Or the current Cavs who have screwed themselves so bad out of young talent and saddled themselves with big contracts that Lebron is considering leaving again.

I dont see the longterm plan here that helps AD stay? Are we supposed to deal Mirotic again? Because we wont be able to keep him beyond next year.

I don't get this. We are in no position to do anything but make the playoffs. Is that really worth a 1st round pick? I like Niko, but he doesn't make us contenders. This kicking the can down the road philosophy has to stop. Trading away 1st for Cousins totally understandable giving up first for Asik and Mirotic is just killing any chance of us turning this team around in a reasonable amount of time.
    I look at it as a win. It was going to cost a first just to dump Asik alone and to pick up a guy that can contribute, hit open 3s and also clear cap for more moves is a good trade in my book.

Basketball Guru
    we are playing OKC tomorrow so is mirotic playing friday?......we just have AD and diallo available lol.......i hope monroe sign today....

What is a mid late 1st round pick worth other than the magical "potential".

Odds are far higher that Mirotic is better than any player we would have drafted at our position and we got him while dumping Asik's contract.

Teague's contract is not ideal either right now. 5 years 130 for Holiday is for sure a slight overpay. I'm not saying it's horrendous, but certainly not the hometown discount as it was touted as. The Asik deal was though and Demps got in to that by dealing a future first and then negotiating with Asik from a position of weakness.

I'm not sure the Pelicans go after Mirotic if Cousins doesnt get hurt. Their focus was always wing player.
    They would have. Espececially with the idea he can spell Davis or Cousins and get their minutes down. Mirotic is a stretch 4. He mostly plays on the wing like Ryan Anderson and Cunningham. He's better than both.

Yes. To give an analogy here, the Saints had this mentality for years as an 8-8 team to just worry about the money later and had tons of big contracts and moved future picks etc etc. Then they finally let all those big contract obligations go away by semigutting the team and trusted the youth movement influx of young talent and were better for it.

Right now we look a lot like the Nets did under Billy King. Or the current Cavs who have screwed themselves so bad out of young talent and saddled themselves with big contracts that Lebron is considering leaving again.

I dont see the longterm plan here that helps AD stay? Are we supposed to deal Mirotic again? Because we wont be able to keep him beyond next year.
    The Saints literally moved future picks in our very last draft....

Nor does the analogy work for basketball anyway because you only have 5 players on the field at any time with a max roster of 15 while the NFL you need 22 starters and a roster of over 50 guys every game.

Basketball Guru
    i think everyone wanted asik gone so yall know it would take a 1st to move him so i dont understand the complaining by some about this year 1st if you think we are playoff bound....

Comparing the NFL to NBA is nonsensical. You know an NBA team cannot simply commit to a youth movement and suddenly turn it around. Even if they could, how do you sell that to AD, Cousins and Jrue? Do you think as they age, they are fine with wasting the primes of their careers waiting to see if a 19 year old may or may not develop into a player? While I do see value in filling the roster with draft picks, mainly to offset the higher salaries, it is not necessarily the answer to pushing the team over the top the way it is currently constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I mean Chicago is waiving both Allen and Nelson. If Monroe goes to the Celtics instead or something, decent chance one of those guys are back on the roster....or just never leave their house before emailing over their new signed contracts.
    No chance. That would be against the NBA rules. We cannot sign Allen or Nelson if waived.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Comparing the NFL to NBA is nonsensical. You know an NBA team cannot simply commit to a youth movement and suddenly turn it around. Even if they could, how do you sell that to AD, Cousins and Jrue? Do you think as they age, they are fine with wasting the primes of their careers waiting to see if a 19 year old may or may not develop into a player? While I do see value in filling the roster with draft picks, mainly to offset the higher salaries, it is not necessarily the answer to pushing the team over the top the way it is currently constructed.
    thats why I brought up the NBA too.

Just trying to come up with something I thought yall would understand as it's clear yall are not seeing the bigger picture here.

Lebron can go kick rocks. He's the one who pushed for the Cavs to sign JR Smith, Tristan Thompson, K-Love, Iman Shumpert (his homeboys) to those ridiculous deals. He made his bed, now he needs to sleep in it.

When the league Ziggs we zagg. When the rest of the league is looking for shooters, we are looking for bigs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This is all good healthy debate.

But I hope ya'll are ready to eat crow. I will be if this trade works out for us, but when Rivers was moved there weren't many here that owned up to being wrong.

Thread Information