Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic Trade coming?

The Franchise
    Mirotic is ok and the extra year should be easy to move but I’d rather flip him for Favors. We need a defensive/rebounder type. I hope they’re holding out for Justin and Grant which means Ajinca would have to be moved. Just add a second and make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Mirotic is ok and the extra year should be easy to move but I’d rather flip him for Favors. We need a defensive/rebounder type. I hope they’re holding out for Justin and Grant which means Ajinca would have to be moved. Just add a second and make it happen
    We have a defensive, rebounding type. That's not Gentry's system.

Funny how everyone knows so much about what's going on behind the scenes with arguably the most secretive front office in the NBA on a trade that isn't even a day old.. not one single person here has any earthly idea about what is going on yet are throwing things around as factual.. give it some time before condemning every person in the organization lol.. atleast 24 hours? Mirotic is a good player but people are acting like he's Lebron James!! LoL come on!

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We have a defensive, rebounding type. That's not Gentry's system.
    But he doesn’t give you consistent minutes and isn’t a decent scorer. Mirotic gives you scoring but doesn’t seem like the defensive guy we need. Favors gives you size, defense, athleticism, and some scoring in the paint. He doesn’t spread the court but we can’t make 3’s right now so we need to get inside and for god sakes get us some bigger guards and wings.

But he doesn’t give you consistent minutes and isn’t a decent scorer. Mirotic gives you scoring but doesn’t seem like the defensive guy we need. Favors gives you size, defense, athleticism, and some scoring in the paint. He doesn’t spread the court but we can’t make 3’s right now so we need to get inside and for god sakes get us some bigger guards and wings.
    After getting abused 26-0 on second chance points we need a big who wants to hustle. Mirotic will score but that's it.

Hell I was very impressed by Asik effort, at least he wanted to grab rebounds

The Franchise
    Good news is our first is looking better so maybe we get a little more for it.

Plus Asik is showing he can contribute. As strange as it sounds we get beaten even harder without him tonight

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Plus Asik is showing he can contribute. As strange as it sounds we get beaten even harder without him tonight
    LoL what game were you watching!? He was absolute garbage once again.. 1 point and 4 rebounds in 24 minutes.. if that is contributing then that is a huge problem.. the main reason we got blown out is because Asik can't even play like a below average big and if he had we probably win that game.. 26-0 on 2nd chance points while being out rebounded offensively 14-2.. it's not just a coincidence this happens when Asik gets big minutes.. how people still find a way to defend this guy blows my mind.

Bad news is Asik reminded everyone once again how bad he really is lol.. so maybe it will balance out but we need to stop playing him immediately before it cost us two 1st round picks while taking on a horrible contract just to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I mean not to defend wnelson when he can do it himself, but it's kind of hard to demand proof of what would of happened in a counter-factual.

Having another 17-7 player that turns a bench warmer into a productive rotation player is probably good for tipping the scales in a number of our close losses. Or stopping the bleeding in games we led and then let get away. Probably help keep Davis and Cousins minute load better under control. And yeah, maybe if Cousins wasn't averaging 40 minutes over the last dozen games or so, he might not of had an achilles tear.
    The point is that it is ridiculous to say that if we had Mirotic, Boogie would not have gotten hurt. There is no indication whatsoever that a certain number of minutes played less would have prevented his achilles tear. It had to do with a wrong step and a pop of the tendon. It does not simply have a certain amount of minutes on it before it goes out. There is also no way to say that having Mirotic would have led to 5 more victories any more than someone saying it would have led to 5 more losses.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The point is that it is ridiculous to say that if we had Mirotic, Boogie would not have gotten hurt. There is no indication whatsoever that a certain number of minutes played less would have prevented his achilles tear. It had to do with a wrong step and a pop of the tendon. It does not simply have a certain amount of minutes on it before it goes out. There is also no way to say that having Mirotic would have led to 5 more victories any more than someone saying it would have led to 5 more losses.
    There actually is a noted correlational link established from numerous health studies about how fatigue raises the probability of injury. Including being a major correlating factor in tendon related failures like a non-contact achilles rupture.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...tendon-rupture
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3752187/

Since 2005, 64% of all achilles ruptures happened in the second half of games. And that number would be higher if the study happened after the Gay and Cousins achilles injuries that happened in the the late third and fourth quarter respectively.

Would having a very good backup big that could of likely reduced Cousins minute load over the last dozen games, likely kept the team from going into overtime some of those nights, be enough to prevent that injury? Who knows, but its not completely unreasonable to think it may have been a factor.

Part of what makes the rich get richer in basketball IMO is that the really good teams tend to have talent and depth, which makes the game less fatiguing over the course of a season, and less fatigue means you can conserve your body more and are less probable to injury. Do you think Stephen Curry would be as injury free as he has been over the last few seasons if he somehow found himself stuck on a team like the Hornets in Kemba Walker's place? Being asked to go longer minutes and exert himself to the max 82 games every season?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-30-2018 at 11:38 PM.

I think Favors makes a lot more sense fit-wise for now, tough interior rebounding/defensive/power scoring presence, and his expiring contract would give Pels the flexibility they want in the off-season. Hood is also available and expiring, so here's the deal to add them both using the rumored Mirotic framework:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yahf54r9

Jazz recieve: Mirotic, Diallo, Jackson (or 2019 2nd?)

Bulls recieve: Asik, Nelson, Pels 2018 1st (protections negotiable)

Pels recieves: Favors, Hood

Would be ideal to send out Ajinca somewhere, and not have to include Frank Jackson, but not sure either of the other teams go for that.

In the off-season they have a solid chance to re-sign one of Favors or Hood (Hood more likely, though if Favors doesn't get good offers elsewhere, he could re-sign for the MLE as Cousins insurance and keeping he and AD fresh minutes-wise). Or they can use the cleared cap-space to add talent in a different direction.

Boogie was running in a straight line when it popped. Not some 'freak accident' like you purport. Fatigue and micro tears had everything to do with it.

So now Gentry is blamed for Cousins tearing his Achilles!! Lmao I should sue him for tearing my Achilles as well.. just need a few people on the jury from this board and I have a good shot at winning!! So playing 2-3 more mpg is now the sole reason Boogie is hurt.. I might have to take another break..

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    So now Gentry is blamed for Cousins tearing his Achilles!! Lmao I should sue him for tearing my Achilles as well.. just need a few people on the jury from this board and I have a good shot at winning!! So playing 2-3 more mpg is now the sole reason Boogie is hurt.. I might have to take another break..
    You seem to be notably angrier these days, you doing alright?

I don't think it would be right to blame Gentry, or think I really implied it. Heck I don't think it is right to try and point the finger at anyone ultimately. Though if we are thinking about how fatigue may of been a contributing factor to his injury, that would probably fall more on Dell ultimately. Since he is the one that has built a roster that is so shallow that you are basically forced to ride your big three if you want to win games. And given ownership's mandate, and the competitive spirit of Cousins and AD, Gentry is going to be forced to do that.

Cousins would never not make the team play him because he is a fiery competitor. If there is any frustration I have with Gentry it is that it seems pretty clear in hindsight that Asik was playable, and perhaps Gentry missed an opportunity to alleviate some of the minutes pressure of the big two by rotating him in more regularly and consistently.

LoL tell me where I was once angry.. I'll wait.. I'm actually laughing at the nonsense i am reading.. this board usually has decent discussions and less jumping to conclusions with absolutely no facts to back it up.. you don't think it would be right to blame Gentry yet your argument pretty much did just that.. The injury falls on no one.. it's an injury and the only person that could possibly prevent it is God if you believe in one.. trolls usually blame coaches/GMs for injuries and bash the organization over a trade that nobody has any earthly idea about.. in hindsight everyone is a genius but that's not how reality works.. trolls usually do this stuff, you doing alright?
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-31-2018 at 01:55 AM.

i feel there would be more of a push to get Mirotic if Boogie were healthy.. I still would love to have Mirotic but at the right price and not just get him to say we did.. part of me wants to make some moves now and go as far as we can and part of me wants to just ride it out and make some moves in the offseason when we have a better idea of what's going to happen. Very possible we have other deals on the table that we are weighing as well.. 9 days is a long time during trade season haha but give it time fellas.. you will have the whole second half of the season to ridicule what they did and didn't do so let's atleast let it play out.. at this time last year everyone over reacted to us pursuing Okafor and it turned into Boogie!!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-31-2018 at 02:30 AM.

it's an injury and the only person that could possibly prevent it is God if you believe in one
    That's why sporting clubs spend millions and millions of dollars researching and investigating cause/prevention of injuries. There's also a little thing called Sports Science which is dedicated to this exact thing

But yeah I guess every injury is just down to the Gods

That's why sporting clubs spend millions and millions of dollars researching and investigating cause/prevention of injuries. There's also a little thing called Sports Science which is dedicated to this exact thing

But yeah I guess every injury is just down to the Gods
    This is just another thing that perplex me about this team. With all these injuries what are we doing differently in terms of injury prevention?

What do you all think the odds are of me checking my phone later on today and seeing that the trade was actually completed after all?

Boogie was running in a straight line when it popped. Not some 'freak accident' like you purport. Fatigue and micro tears had everything to do with it.
    No, he was jumping for a loose rebound. He was not running at all. Should we sign him and let him sit the bench so that he does not "use up" his achilles as it appears some think that there is a useful life for basketball play?

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    What do you all think the odds are of me checking my phone later on today and seeing that the trade was actually completed after all?
    I bet if we do get it done, it’ll happen a week from now.
    RIP FlyGirl

No, he was jumping for a loose rebound. He was not running at all. Should we sign him and let him sit the bench so that he does not "use up" his achilles as it appears some think that there is a useful life for basketball play?
    Yeah ok I just watched the vid you're right, he seems to do it pushing off his left foot battling for the board. I had this idea he did it when running back up the court. I never insinuated that he should just sit on the bench the whole game though.

LoL tell me where I was once angry.. I'll wait.. I'm actually laughing at the nonsense i am reading.. this board usually has decent discussions and less jumping to conclusions with absolutely no facts to back it up.. you don't think it would be right to blame Gentry yet your argument pretty much did just that.. The injury falls on no one.. it's an injury and the only person that could possibly prevent it is God if you believe in one.. trolls usually blame coaches/GMs for injuries and bash the organization over a trade that nobody has any earthly idea about.. in hindsight everyone is a genius but that's not how reality works.. trolls usually do this stuff, you doing alright?
    Yeah I think that is it between me and you for now. You seem incapable of discussing things without resorting to passive aggressive insults and thinly veiled anger. If you can’t get past the way you want people’s opinions to be to justify manufactured outrage, I have no interest in that.

Get back to me when you either get your feelings in check or mature back up.

Good day.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-31-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    I bet if we do get it done, it’ll happen a week from now.
    I agree...I think the Bulls leaked the trade discussion to see if they could get another team to give up a better package.

Thread Information