Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic Trade coming?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    OK, I'll bite. Where is the support for either claim?
    I mean not to defend wnelson when he can do it himself, but it's kind of hard to demand proof of what would of happened in a counter-factual.

Having another 17-7 player that turns a bench warmer into a productive rotation player is probably good for tipping the scales in a number of our close losses. Or stopping the bleeding in games we led and then let get away. Probably help keep Davis and Cousins minute load better under control. And yeah, maybe if Cousins wasn't averaging 40 minutes over the last dozen games or so, he might not of had an achilles tear.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    They want to be able to re-sign Boogie WITHOUT going into the tax. That's the entire point. They can't do that with the team option. Both objectives are related.

Convince Benson or Loomis? All Benson does is sign the checks and collect the money. Loomis oversees all the expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Convince Benson or Loomis? All Benson does is sign the checks and collect the money. Loomis oversees all the expenses.
    Benson. The tax comes directly out of his pocket. That's why Jake specifically makes the point of mentioning him by name.

EDIT: Changed embed to link for language purposes, https://twitter.com/I_am_J9911/statu...42239046320129.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 06:21 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I know why the luxury tax is an issue, but at the same time, I don't. Benson has enough money to buy another pro sports team. Just don't see what the issue is for ownership.

No words right now

The narrative that Benson is cheap (i.e. he won't go into the luxury unless we're a contender) is likely true. The narrative that Benson being cheap (i.e. our fear of going into the luxury tax) is the only thing preventing us from dealing for Mirotic is likely false. That is because Mirotic is a positive contract, and is easily movable if it comes down to that. If anything, Dell is using this perception of Benson being cheap to his advantage in order to gain leverage in the negotiation process by falsely depicting the luxury tax concern as a legitimate obstacle, which it is not (because again Mirotic can be moved).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 06:31 PM.

The narrative that Benson is cheap (i.e. he won't go into the luxury unless we're a contender) is likely true. The narrative that Benson being cheap (i.e. our fear of going into the luxury tax) is the only thing preventing us from dealing for Mirotic is likely false. That is because Mirotic is a positive contract, and is easily movable if it comes down to that. If anything, Dell is using this perception of Benson being cheap to his advantage in order to gain leverage in the negotiation process.
    lol that's an interesting take on it. Hope you're right

You know, if this really does end up being because our side was unwilling to take on that additional salary, and that was in fact the sticking point, how does AD and Cousins take this organization seriously anymore?

I certainly would question if this team was dedicated to winning if they let a bit of potential luxury tax get in the way of improving the team.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You know, if this really does end up being because our side was unwilling to take on that additional salary, and that was in fact the sticking point, how does AD and Cousins take this organization seriously anymore?

I certainly would question if this team was dedicated to winning if they let a bit of potential luxury tax get in the way of improving the team.
    Don't they realise the potential of additional revenue when the team improves?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Don't they realise the potential of additional revenue when the team improves?
    I honestly just see a bunch of football guys with limited expertise on the sport attempting to set the parameters and have veto power of a franchise. I mean they must know given how the Saints have gone. And presumably the idea was to get the Pelicans into a space similar.

Still plenty of time before the trade deadline, so who knows what will happen after all is said and done.

This entire luxury cap argument is a giant circular reference. They won’t go into the luxury tax unless they are championship caliber but you can’t be championship caliber unless you’re willing to go into the luxury tax.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I'm a little confused. The amount of Cousin's contract, post injury, seems a variable not a knowable. Why scuttle this trade on what that number might be? I can't believe you can't make a move to create some space if needed. Mirotic's contract is essentially Asik's contract. Plus, he's a third big that you need, Cousins or no Cousins. You can't keep playing AD or Cousins the kind of minutes you did this year. Finally, he may be the piece you need to stay competitive in the playoff race this year. Seems like a deal that should get done and the sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I'm a little confused. The amount of Cousin's contract, post injury, seems a variable not a knowable. Why scuttle this trade on what that number might be? I can't believe you can't make a move to create some space if needed. Mirotic's contract is essentially Asik's contract. Plus, he's a third big that you need, Cousins or no Cousins. You can't keep playing AD or Cousins the kind of minutes you did this year. Finally, he may be the piece you need to stay competitive in the playoff race this year. Seems like a deal that should get done and the sooner the better.

As Nate Duncan and others point out, Mirotic is an easily moveable contract, so the rumors of why this is falling apart is just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    This entire luxury cap argument is a giant circular reference. They won’t go into the luxury tax unless they are championship caliber but you can’t be championship caliber unless you’re willing to go into the luxury tax.
    Bingo.

Mirotic being paid chump change compare to what he gets on the market in 2 years. Why is him being a FA a worrisome issue?

Wonder if Asik and Mirotic will play tonight ??? Could be a sign if they don’t .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I blame Holiday’s terrible contract. If he didn’t get that contract, the luxury tax may not be an issue.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Mirotic makes approximately $1M more than Asik. You're trying to tell me that and extra million is going to be an issue for a billionaire? Makes no sense. Not to mention, the potential of getting rid of Ajinca as well. Playing hardball is unnecessary in my opinion.

I blame Holiday’s terrible contract. If he didn’t get that contract, the luxury tax may not be an issue.
    Yeah, but if he didn't get that contract, we're not in the position we're in.

They aren't waiting to BE a contending team before paying the luxury. They are waiting for a move/transaction that would arguably allow them the potential to BECOME a contending team before paying the luxury. Chances are if you go out and acquire that missing piece, your assets are depleted. By that point, you're financially committed to that specific and pricey core, regardless of the immediate return on wins.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Holiday has lived up to his contract so far

I was secretly hoping a deal for Miro would happen even before Boggie's injury. Hopefully something will pan out. That rotation would be sic and help keep AD and Boogies minutes down to a healthy level. Wonder if this was in the works before the injury?

They aren't waiting to BE a contending team before paying the luxury. They are waiting for a move/transaction that would arguably allow them the potential to BECOME a contending team before paying the luxury. Chances are if you go out and acquire that missing piece, your assets are depleted. By that point, you're financially committed to that specific and pricey core, regardless of the immediate return on wins.

And you get to that point by making smart moves like this in pursuit of that end goal.

If ownership is just waiting for another Cousins to show up on their doorstep for our putrid assets and a first rounder or two, we are going to be waiting around a long time.

Now, you turn Asik and a late first into a 17-7 guy that is the best stretch four in the business, on a great cost-controlled contract, that fits in multiple offensive systems, and can play crunch time minutes at center. Well, that is the sort of positive asset you bundle with another first rounder next season, maybe with Moore's contract, and make a play for a real superstar on a team, like happens every year, that is trending in the opposite direction.

But you don't get there by thinking you can just skip the line or get everything in one fell swoop. We need more positive assets on this roster, Mirotic is one of the best available out there. Only because of a situation of internal dispute in Chicago.

And you get to that point by making smart moves like this in pursuit of that end goal.

If ownership is just waiting for another Cousins to show up on their doorstep for our putrid assets and a first rounder or two, we are going to be waiting around a long time.

Now, you turn Asik and a late first into a 17-7 guy that is the best stretch four in the business, on a great cost-controlled contract, that fits in multiple offensive systems, and can play crunch time minutes at center. Well, that is the sort of positive asset you bundle with another first rounder next season, maybe with Moore's contract, and make a play for a real superstar on a team, like happens every year, that is trending in the opposite direction.

But you don't get there by thinking you can just skip the line or get everything in one fell swoop. We need more positive assets on this roster, Mirotic is one of the best available out there. Only because of a situation of internal dispute in Chicago.
    I approve this message

I somewhat agree with your line of thinking. The deal makes sense for both sides, which is why I believe it's going to happen closer to the deadline (in a somewhat similar form).

The luxury tax isn't a problem here. That's because tax isn't calculated until the end of the season anyways, so the Pels would have almost all of next season to move Mirotic if they needed to. And as I've already stated, Mirotic is movable beacuse he's on a positive contract. Granted, I think it will be rather easy to move Ajinca's contract next year, so I don't imagine it would even come down to that.

Dell knows this and is merely using the reputation of Benson's cheapness as a means of leverage to extract additional value (and make it easier to avoid the tax).

I said piece, not pieces, because I think management's ideal avenue to becoming a contending team is to pursue another needle mover. Alternatively, you can deviate from that entirely and consolidate a deep team with several rotation pieces. There's an argument to be made for either avenue. And there are several ways to pursue either avenue.

Either avenue can work, but regardless, even if you prescribe to the former, you don't pass up deals like these, where you can gain an asset for a good price, and utilize it under either avenue.

Whether Benson would commit to paying the luxury under the latter avenue would probably be result-based, so I suppose that could make the aforementioned argument, in fact, circular (depending on the timing of the signings and how convoluted the path is). I'm more inclined to think he would under the former avenue (which would not likely necessitate results), but that's just an assumption and it depends on who's available and for what price.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Thread Information