Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic Trade coming?

The fix is easy but Benson doesn’t want the luxury tax. A deal that’s a no brainer for most is a big deal (pun intended) for the Pels. He’s trying to save money. Benson did the same thing with the Saints. When he opened the checkbook, the Saints won a chip. Pay the tax and make up the difference when the games start selling out b/c he has a winning franchise.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

The key is when (not if) to pay the tax. Is Mirotic the missing piece? In management's mind, probably not. If it were a star player or close, like a Kemba Walker, I am sure they would not mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The key is when (not if) to pay the tax. Is Mirotic the missing piece? In management's mind, probably not. If it were a star player or close, like a Kemba Walker, I am sure they would not mind.
    i think if we had mirotic day one this season we would have at least 5 more wins. and likely a healthy Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. It's absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever heard if the reason is fear of the luxury tax and If this deal falls through AD should immediately demand to be traded.

That is a huge freaking sign this franchise isn't ready to pay the money to compete.

Mirotic can backup AD or Cousins and is on a deal that can be traded at any time. We were ALWAYS going to be in the luxury tax resigning Cousins this summer.

This is absolutely retarded. We cannot have 105m in 5 players and the rest just minimum contracts and expect to compete.

I don't think I've ever been more furious with this franchise. Why even trade for Cousins at all if we were afraid of the tax? This deal better get done.
    If that is the primary reason for the trade not going through, then yes it's stupid. At the same time, this could simply be Dell trying to get more out of the trade, such as including Ajinca in the deal or getting X player in return.

This leak looks like the Bulls trying to put pressure on the Pels to get the deal done. That's because we're in the driver seat. We have the first round pick. We have 10 more days until the trade deadline. And there is no evidence that any other team has offered a first round pick for Mirotic.

So if this simply a leverage play, I'm OK with it. Given how asanine it would be to turn the trade down if the opposite was true, I'm more inclined to believe it's just that.

It makes sense for both sides to get this deal done. But if it happens, I expect additional pieces to be included and for the move to occur closer to the trade deadline.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 04:57 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

He may not be "the missing piece", but he definitely is "a" missing piece. And all of the guys who might be "the" guy won't be had for Asik and a first. Trading a guy who takes $11+ to do nothing for a guy who has an elite skill and fills a position of need for only $1m more is a no brainer. If you're not willing to make trades like that, you're not willing to do anything.
    Basketball.

This trade not going through is predicated on the assumption that Boogie will resign. Is that a guarantee? If he decides to bolt, it would be nice to have someone like Mirotic in place when trying to build the roster next year.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    This trade not going through is predicated on the assumption that Boogie will resign. Is that a guarantee? If he decides to bolt, it would be nice to have someone like Mirotic in place when trying to build the roster next year.
    No, it's not guaranteed, but it's the widely held expectation by those in the know. Merely the fact that the Pelicans seem to be operating under that precise assumption should be looked at as an encouraging sign.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. It's absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever heard if the reason is fear of the luxury tax and If this deal falls through AD should immediately demand to be traded.

That is a huge freaking sign this franchise isn't ready to pay the money to compete.

Mirotic can backup AD or Cousins and is on a deal that can be traded at any time. We were ALWAYS going to be in the luxury tax resigning Cousins this summer.

This is absolutely retarded. We cannot have 105m in 5 players and the rest just minimum contracts and expect to compete.

I don't think I've ever been more furious with this franchise. Why even trade for Cousins at all if we were afraid of the tax? This deal better get done.
    This! Why would Boogie resign if they are not committed to winning? He said he wants to be on a winning team. This is not a positive step in getting him to resign if you don’t want to build a solid team around him. I wouldn’t resign with the Pels if I was him. Not to mention if you have to play large minutes just to be competitive and you only have AD and Holiday that are reliable players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He may not be "the missing piece", but he definitely is "a" missing piece. And all of the guys who might be "the" guy won't be had for Asik and a first. Trading a guy who takes $11+ to do nothing for a guy who has an elite skill and fills a position of need for only $1m more is a no brainer. If you're not willing to make trades like that, you're not willing to do anything.
    I just don’t see how this would make Boogie resign. Even if you do have the money, he’s going to have to play crazy minutes with AD after a serious injury because you only have Freakin Asik and Ajinca behind you instead of a solid backup in Mirotic (who won’t blow a 20 point lead).

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    This leak looks like the Bulls trying to put pressure on the Pels to get the deal done. That's because we're in the driver seat. We have the first round pick. We have 10 more days until the trade deadline. And there is no evidence that any other team has offered a first round pick for Mirotic.

So if this simply a leverage play, I'm OK with it. Given how asanine it would be to turn the trade down if the opposite was true, I'm more inclined to believe it's just that.

Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 05:19 PM.

OMG don’t bring this dude in this again! When was the last time these guys have been right. All they do is act like they know what’s going on after they read tweets from actual insiders. I can make this crap up just as good as them.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    This! Why would Boogie resign if they are not committed to winning? He said he wants to be on a winning team. This is not a positive step in getting him to resign if you don’t want to build a solid team around him. I wouldn’t resign with the Pels if I was him. Not to mention if you have to play large minutes just to be competitive and you only have AD and Holiday that are reliable players.

to me it seems like the pels have a solid answer from boogie that he will resign with us and this is why they are trying to make the right move to be able to have room for boogie.....i think the trade is going to happen but we are looking out for our best interest to make our team better....

OMG don’t bring this dude in this again! When was the last time these guys have been right. All they do is act like they know what’s going on after they read tweets from actual insiders. I can make this crap up just as good as them.
    If you want to sulk for the sake of sulking, go ahead. But all of our insiders who are knowledgeable and are privy to information that we don't get have managed to reach the same logical conclusion. Ignore it or be informed.

If you want to sulk for the sake of sulking, go ahead. But all of our insiders who are knowledgeable and are privy to information that we don't get have managed to reach the same logical conclusion. Ignore it or be informed.
    Ok tell me what trade/signing they broke? Getting Justin Holiday? A max deal for Jrue Holiday?Or “trying to get Eric Bledsoe”? Or what about the Ryno trades every trade deadline/offseason?

Yeah they are knowledgeable but they don’t have any inside information from the Pels.

I just don’t see how this would make Boogie resign. Even if you do have the money, he’s going to have to play crazy minutes with AD after a serious injury because you only have Freakin Asik and Ajinca behind you instead of a solid backup in Mirotic (who won’t blow a 20 point lead).
    Personally I think Boogie is resigning either way. That said I do think it's reasonable to expect him to be more likely to return if he knows he's going to have less of a minutes requirement with a capable backup.

More than that, however, is the fact that Mirotic helps now. We know that AD is going to have to play out of his mind for the rest of the season now: adding in a 17ppg scorer is is able to drag opposing bigs out of the paint and give AD a little more room to work is a good thing. And if he's playing without AD, then it gives Moore or Jrue more spacing for drives and another target for them to pass to on the pick and pop.

Honestly, I think it's a win win in terms of win-now and later moves.

Ok tell me what trade/signing they broke? Getting Justin Holiday? A max deal for Jrue Holiday?Or “trying to get Eric Bledsoe”? Or what about the Ryno trades every trade deadline/offseason?

Yeah they are knowledgeable but they don’t have any inside information from the Pels.
    Just because a move/transaction doesn't occur, doesn't mean it wasn't discussed or considered by the Pels. Circumstances change. The market is fluid. Pointing to things that didn't happen doesn't prove a lack of insider information. Front offices contemplate an infinite number of scenarios, but only a few actually come to fruition because trades require a mutual alignment of needs and interests.

Here's an example:

Literally (1) month later:

Now if we don't end up trading for DeMarre Carroll, does that mean MM was wrong or making things up? No. To pretend otherwise is overly simplistic and demonstrates a lack of understanding of just how spontaneous the trade market is.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Problem is, if you are mandating a win-now agenda onto the organization, you need to be able to attract quality free agents and get assets on the book that are able to be easily packaged and moved to snag a bigger fish in subsequent trades that get you closer and closer to that goal.

You will find my posts in other threads mentioning that I don't love the idea of going after Mirotic, but what I will also say is that a trade for Mirotic is the sort of stepping stone move that bubble teams use to go from being a bubble team toward being a contender.

You don't get many chances to turn a late first rounder into a 26 year old that can give you 17 and 7 on efficient shooting and a movable contract.

What does Benson think is more valuable toward getting a contender? Asik's albatross contract and a late first rounder, or Nikola Mirotic on a cost controlled contract that could be packaged and moved with someone like Moore in the next stepping stone trade scenario to upgrade the roster even further? Mirotic might not put you over the edge, but hypothetically speaking, maybe Mirotic/Moore/and a first rounder going out brings you back John Wall in some future situation where the Wizards and their relationship deteriorates.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-30-2018 at 05:44 PM.

On another note, we get Tony Allen back tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Can someone please show me where this has to do with Benson not wanting to go over the luxury tax.. {edited - language}

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    i think if we had mirotic day one this season we would have at least 5 more wins. and likely a healthy Boogie
    Nothing to support that at all.

Nothing to support that at all.
    i disagree but sure

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    i disagree but sure
    OK, I'll bite. Where is the support for either claim?

GuardianAngel:

That post had nothing to do with this trade, other than using Mirotic as an example, but spoke to the well established fact that Benson has put an arbitrary hard cap on going past the luxury threshold until it can be justified by being a contender.

That post was serving to make the case that in our situation, it is going to be hard to do that if you don't have the flexibility to make those sort of stepping stone moves needed to get there.

No one knows definitively what has caused this trade to be shelved for the moment. Or really if Benson is still adhering to that self imposed cap, but IMO, if the team, given it's asset situation, hopes to get to contender status, you are likely going to have to let the team go into the luxury to build the road to get there. This isn't the NFL where you can just have a great draft as a middle of the pack team the prior year and go to the second round of the playoffs. You need to get and hit on those Mirotic's and Moore's so you can package them for that superstar that the next team looking to hit the rebuild moves on from.

What team in the NBA wants to go over the luxury tax if they aren't competing? I would hope the people arguing this don't own a business lol.. I mean that's pretty common sense and likely done by every team in the NBA.. this is a business first and will always be run like one.. being able to resign Boogie seems to be the main and only valid concern being reported at all.. nothing about not wanting to go over the luxury tax is being reported..

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    What team in the NBA wants to go over the luxury tax if they aren't competing? I would hope the people arguing this don't own a business lol.. I mean that's pretty common sense and likely done by every team in the NBA.. this is a business first and will always be run like one.. being able to resign Boogie seems to be the main and only valid concern being reported at all.. nothing about not wanting to go over the luxury tax is being reported..
    They want to be able to re-sign Boogie WITHOUT going into the tax. That's the entire point. They can't do that with the team option. Both objectives are related.

Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Thread Information