Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Vs Clippers

Blake has made more 3s in the 2nd half than our entire team.

When AD just hit the ground I felt like throwing up. I was honestly so worried.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Blake has made more 3s in the 2nd half than our entire team.
    What's that? I can't quite hear you... I think you said ''shoot more contested threes''?

Somethings got to change or we're gonna run AD and Jrue into the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What's that? I can't quite hear you... I think you said ''shoot more contested threes''?
    I said make shots.

Pelicans Vs Clippers

Gentry just sits on the bench during ever 3rd quarter and says nothing. A good coach calls a timeout and tells the team to attack the damn basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's clear a trade must be made. The question is how much into the future do we mortgage.

Personally, I'd go very deep and do enough to bring in a guard and a center.

21 up.... 9 point loss ... 30 point swing. Utter garbage and pathetic. So F’ing angry with this team. We basically lost by 30 in 2.5 quarters...

This happens all the time.... why?! Why are we so inept on the 3rd
    Last edited by England_Hornet; 01-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    '' We are here!!''

Someone needs to seriously question Gentry on his rotations in this 2nd half. He went away from what worked.
    This!!! My gosh what does he do during games? He has no idea sometimes I feel like.

Where does Rajon go after halftime? I rarely see him. Can we sit him in the first half and let him play the second? Like I said, I dont know much about basketball just when he's in the game the flow is so much better.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

It's interesting. The Clippers have spent the entire season dealing with injuries to key players. Gentry should ask Doc how he doesn't, because the Clippers have been in a competitive position in spite of those injuries, and that is something that we will need to learn to do if we hope to make the playoffs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Not saying it’s the reason why we lost as I am at work and only watching the box scores, but is there a reason why Asik only got 8 minutes?
    Was he that bad that Gentry didn’t try him again?

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    This!!! My gosh what does he do during games? He has no idea sometimes I feel like.

Yeah I have been hesitant to question him on this most of the season, as I thought a lot was unjustified fan hate, but tonight was inexcusable. The second half rotations were straight up pitiful. Gentry knows only one adjustment: go smaller. That is literally the extent of his coaching repertoire. Its shameful and exposes how poor of a coach he can be in-games if he can't overwhelm a team with talent and determination thanks to their three stars. He puts together brilliant offensive systems that players can thrive in, but the moment to moment chess of the game continually eludes him.

And if Gentry is going to grind AD into the ground by playing him entire halves, then I seriously would be ok firing him. And I have not said that all season. As I have thought he has gotten an enormously bad rap from fans when he has actually put together a pretty good squad. But you can't grind Jrue and Davis into the ground to save your own skin. But that is what it seems like we are poised to do.

But this team is not deep, you HAVE TO change things up and protect your star. You have to take yourself out of your comfort zone when the matchup and talent isn't there to do what you want.

This loss was also on the players making poor decisions in the third, but it was Gentry that put the nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-28-2018 at 05:35 PM.

It's clear a trade must be made. The question is how much into the future do we mortgage.

Personally, I'd go very deep and do enough to bring in a guard and a center.
    The answer should been "none of the future should be mortgaged". Gentry and Dell should want to as to save the season, fans and ownership should be totally against it because it's not happening this season. But it still could in future seasons. Don't throw everything into this season's hopeless battle and give up resources for future promising battles.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Not saying it’s the reason why we lost as I am at work and only watching the box scores, but is there a reason why Asik only got 8 minutes?
    Was he that bad that Gentry didn’t try him again?
    No, except for coaching incompetence.

He played exceptionally well. I was completely expecting to see him subbed in when the team was bleeding points in the third, or to at least relieve Davis to save him for that spurt in the fourth, or for defensive purposes down the stretch, but it never happened.

It's kind of crazy because one of the points in favor of Gentry over Thibs back in the day was Thibs would grind our players into the ground and shorten their careers. Yet Gentry certainly looks like Bulls Thibs running AD 41 minutes a game, on top of playing many of our players out of position by going small constantly, forcing them into much more physical matchups against bigger players.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-28-2018 at 05:42 PM.

We gotta stop blowing these 20 point leads. This is 100% on the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    No, except for coaching incompetence.

He played exceptionally well. I was completely expecting to see him subbed in when the team was bleeding points in the third, or to at least relieve Davis to save him for that spurt in the fourth, or for defensive purposes down the stretch, but it never happened.

It's kind of crazy because one of the points in favor of Gentry over Thibs back in the day was Thibs would grind our players into the ground and shorten their careers. Yet Gentry certainly looks like Bulls Thibs running AD 41 minutes a game, on top of playing many of our players out of position by going small constantly, forcing them into much more physical matchups against bigger players.

Its so very scary that there actually were any points "in favor of Gentry over Thibs back in the day". Bad franchises have a number of those moments where all you have to do is make the right call just once, and your whole future changes.

Kings did that too with Thibs -- had a threeway coaching search with Thibs, Kurt Rambis, and Paul Westphal. And chose Westphal.

Sometimes you get what you deserve. Not the fans unfortunately, but the decisionmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    21 up.... 9 point loss ... 30 point swing. Utter garbage and pathetic. So F’ing angry with this team. We basically lost by 30 in 2.5 quarters...

Seems like we’ve had 3rd quarters woes even since the Monty days.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post

This!! That’s on not making half time adjustments.

Gentry inexplicably signaling why the 3rd quarter woes will not go away any time soon. (paraphrasing, not exact quotes)

Reporter: Did at any point in the third, after the threes were not falling, after the success driving and moving the ball in the first, did you tell your team to maybe drive it inside like was working so well in the first half? To stop settling for threes?

Gentry: No, when you have those shots you have to take them. They were good shots. The problem was we didn't hit our shots. I would take every one of those shots again, every time. .

Then goes on to get combative about playing AD 41 minutes. Setting up some nonsensical false choice about how reporters would grill him if he only plays 25 minutes(which of course no one is saying). Basically, get over it, it is going to happen if we want to win. I am getting a really sinking feeling that AD may not make it out of this season healthy when Gentry is already getting this calcified in his decision to grind minutes into AD and Jrue. And I also wonder if that combativeness is also the outcrop of pressure from above to make the playoffs or else.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-28-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I feel optimistic I really do. If we can get a proven player, a big who can shoot, I think we can still win 18-22 more games. 7th seed isn’t unrealistic. Without boogie we are still competitive. Adding Liggens was a good move. His defense is very good. They addressed a need by getting him. We should move the 1st round pick and get a reliable player. We can get Hill and see how Frank Jackson looks when he returns if he plays.

We have a lot of weak teams to play. We should be fine if they make one really smart trade and the team play solid defense...

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    The answer should been "none of the future should be mortgaged". Gentry and Dell should want to as to save the season, fans and ownership should be totally against it because it's not happening this season. But it still could in future seasons. Don't throw everything into this season's hopeless battle and give up resources for future promising battles.
    I disagree. There is a way to make trades that help you long term as well as this season.

Basketball Guru
    i believe my eyes and i saw asik,,,miller,,clark,,dante and liggins play the second period just like gentry wanted and thats move the ball,,hit open shots and get up and down the court...the defense was good imo..asik held down the middle and played the pick and roll right...didnt give up no easy inside scores......they had a 20pt lead......our starters came back in and we went into the half up by 12 i think lol......

for some reason gentry didnt give that backup unit atleast 3-5mins to see if they could get that fire back like they had in the first half.....i guess it was just one of those games lol smh...

i know we do need a big that can get points in the paint and also deal with big centers because AD could not deal with jordan under that rim....imo there is no way AD can get us into the playoffs playing center 30-40mins a game after the trade deadline.....AD body and mind is not strong to deal with that beating.....alot of yall need to stop that AD at center talk......

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    On pace to win this 112-70
    what happened

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    what happened
    We went full Gentry in the second half.

Thread Information