Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Serious Is An Achilles Injury?

How Serious Is An Achilles Injury?

This is not going to be a comforting thread, though maybe one with silver linings, so check your emotional biases at the door.

If you look around ESPN, Yahoo, NBA.com and NOLA.com you will find any number of stories about Cousins injury, and anecdotes about its severity compared to players like Gay, Brand, Kobe, Matthews, Dominique Wilkins etc.

And while those are case studies to take into account, some that give signs of hope or despair, they don’t exactly stack up as viable non-cherry picked sample sizes to gain us a clearer picture of Cousins probability of recovery.

Obviously the data on this is limited, given that only so many people in the NBA have suffered such an injury, and the same goes for other sports. And from the outset one should keep in mind the advances in medicine that improve recovery chances.

In my search I’ve come across one study that helps illuminate the probabilities a bit more clearly for us.

Abstract:

BACKGROUND: Most Achilles tendon ruptures are sports related. However, few studies have examined and compared the effect of surgical repair for complete ruptures on return to play (RTP), play time, and performance across multiple sports.

PURPOSE: To examine RTP and performance among professional athletes after Achilles tendon repair and compare pre- versus postoperative functional outcomes of professional athletes from different major leagues in the United States.
    RESULTS: Of 86 athletes screened, 62 met inclusion criteria including 25 NBA, 32 NFL, and 5 MLB players. Nineteen (30.6%) professional athletes with an isolated Achilles tendon rupture treated surgically were unable to return to play. Among athletes who successfully returned to play, game participation averaged 75.4% ( P < .001) and 81.9% ( P = .002) of the total games played the season before injury at 1 and 2 years postoperatively, respectively. Play time was significantly decreased and athletes performed significantly worse compared with preoperative levels at 1 and 2 years after injury ( P < .001). When players were compared with matched controls, an Achilles tendon rupture resulted in fewer games played ( P < .001), decreased play time ( P = .025), and worse performance statistics ( P < .001) at 1 year but not 2 years postoperatively ( P > .05). When individual sports were compared, NBA players were most significantly affected, experiencing significant decreases in games played, play time, and performance.

CONCLUSION: An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury that prevents RTP for 30.6% of professional players. Athletes who do return play in fewer games, have less play time, and perform at a lower level than their preinjury status. However, these functional deficits are seen only at 1 year after surgery compared with matched controls, such that players who return to play can expect to perform at a level commensurate with uninjured controls 2 years postoperatively.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28644678/

The key takeaways are:

- 30% of players do not ever make it back. Now I would insert my own assumption that at least some of them did not return because they were likely of a caliber of player that organizations of that sport were unwilling to pay and put faith in that injured player again. This however is not separated out in the study, so it is merely an assumption. Basically it’s unknown how many genuinely could not attempt to come back due to severity of injury, or who could not come back because no franchise of that sport offered the opportunity?

- Of all sports, the injury is most devastating to NBA players.

- Players that do return, almost universally play at a notably lower level their first year back.

- The silver lining is that of players that can return, that make it past their first year, most return to their pre-injury status by year two and beyond.

Is a rupture and a tear the same thing?

Bronco, do we know for certain it was a complete rupture? I haven't had a chance to read anything about the possible severity of the injury yet. If it is a tear and not a complete rupture then the outcome will likely be significantly more favorable than the above study. I am hoping it is a partial tear and not a complete rupture. Wilkins was a complete rupture, I believe Gay was a partial tear. If that gives any hope to some of you out there.

Fingers crossed that it's "only" a partial tear.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Is a rupture and a tear the same thing?
    Yes, but a complete rupture is a tear that is completely through the muscle or tendon. It didn't look like it on video from what I could see. Usually the gastric and soleus (calf) will retract and ascend up to the back of the leg just below the knee in a complete rupture. It's very obvious when you see it and it isn't pretty. The calf looks like it's being flexed and the back of the lower part of the leg looks sunken in.

Of course this is based on what I saw on tv. So just saying... hope for a partial tear

Well crap, first link I look at says full tear. Maybe he can just spot up and shoot 3's?

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Well crap, first link I look at says full tear. Maybe he can just spot up and shoot 3's?
    Or maybe he'll be absolutely fine. Or maybe he'll return, having lost his jumper and be forced to turn into the full post/passer that we want him to be 85% of the time anyway. Or he'll be completely ruined.

Could be any. I'm going to be optimistic.
    Basketball.

Yes, but a complete rupture is a tear that is completely through the muscle or tendon. It didn't look like it on video from what I could see. Usually the gastric and soleus (calf) will retract and ascend up to the back of the leg just below the knee in a complete rupture. It's very obvious when you see it and it isn't pretty. The calf looks like it's being flexed and the back of the lower part of the leg looks sunken in.

Of course this is based on what I saw on tv. So just saying... hope for a partial tear
    It's already been announced it was a rupture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I saw that as well after posting but now I am seeing that they won't know the severity until the MRI on Saturday.

Edited: Just saw that the mri was last night and is a full rupture. Going to be a long recovery but hopefully he can come back with minimal drop off.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 01-27-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Or maybe he'll be absolutely fine. Or maybe he'll return, having lost his jumper and be forced to turn into the full post/passer that we want him to be 85% of the time anyway. Or he'll be completely ruined.

Could be any. I'm going to be optimistic.
    No doubt, I was half joking about shooting 3's. I meant this season! Lol

Boogie is a better option with one leg than anything else we can replace him with.

No doubt, I was half joking about shooting 3's. I meant this season! Lol
    Can he do those seated three trickshots? I'd take that

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

This is definitely the same thing as a rupture?

I tore my Achilles in my foot twice playing college football. My surgery was done by Dr. James Andrews and I was on his physical therapy routine which was 8-10 months. The 1st time I tore it I came back faster and stronger from the intense rehab I was doing. It took me longer then some to fully recover at close to 12 months before I fully had pain gone when exploding off my foot at full power.. The injury is not as bad as some think losing athleticism wise. The hardest part is the physical therapy for this particular injury. I don't see Cousins having any problem and at his age along with therapy should be ready in 8 months. I remember Terrell Suggs tearing it and returning in like 6 months which was insane. Boogie should be fine.

Thanks Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I tore my Achilles in my foot twice playing college football. My surgery was done by Dr. James Andrews and I was on his physical therapy routine which was 8-10 months. The 1st time I tore it I came back faster and stronger from the intense rehab I was doing. It took me longer then some to fully recover at close to 12 months before I fully had pain gone when exploding off my foot at full power.. The injury is not as bad as some think losing athleticism wise. The hardest part is the physical therapy for this particular injury. I don't see Cousins having any problem and at his age along with therapy should be ready in 8 months. I remember Terrell Suggs tearing it and returning in like 6 months which was insane. Boogie should be fine.
    Demaryius Thomas also ruptured his Achilles and he can back faster and better than ever. He was Manning’s number one guy during their super bowl run.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

This is definitely the same thing as a rupture?
    Gotta follow more than just Woj.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...0%7Ctwterm%5E0

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...0%7Ctwterm%5E0

Jesus full rupture are some of the worst words you can put together in one sentence

I already posted quotes from NBA players that came back from it. From how they describe it, it sounds just like when you come back from fully breaking a bone, which I have. Snd when I say breaking a bone I'm talking the gruesome, leg pointing the wrong way type.

At first you're just scared to do much because the leg just feels weak from the atrophy. Then after long physical training, you realize the broken leg looks bigger than the other and you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I already used Max Performer regularly and posted quotes from NBA players that came back from it. From how they describe it, it sounds just like when you come back from fully breaking a bone, which I have. Snd when I say breaking a bone I'm talking the gruesome, leg pointing the wrong way type.

At first you're just scared to do much because the leg just feels weak from the atrophy. Then after long physical training, you realize the broken leg looks bigger than the other and you're fine.
    That's pretty serious. You can recover from a single achilles injury, but the second one is pretty much game over in a lot of the cases.
    Last edited by Howle; 02-03-2022 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howle View Post
    That's pretty serious. You can recover from a single achilles injury, but the second one is pretty much game over in a lot of the cases.
    This is the 1st tear he has gotten. Last year he had a strain.

I think torn ACLs and I think back to Courtney Alexander. He was going to play alongside Baron Davis, and give us one of the best backcourt show in the NBA. He was a high flyer, and could jump out of a building off two legs. He tore his ACL in the preseason and he never came back. The good news for us is (as the OP stated) Boogie isn't a high flyer. He isn't DeAndre Jordan or Blake Griffin, he is a grounded player. Also, Boogie's biggest skill set won't be lost because of this injury, he will still be able to shoot and pass.

I think Boogie will come back better from this.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think torn ACLs and I think back to Courtney Alexander. He was going to play alongside Baron Davis, and give us one of the best backcourt show in the NBA. He was a high flyer, and could jump out of a building off two legs. He tore his ACL in the preseason and he never came back. The good news for us is (as the OP stated) Boogie isn't a high flyer. He isn't DeAndre Jordan or Blake Griffin, he is a grounded player. Also, Boogie's biggest skill set won't be lost because of this injury, he will still be able to shoot and pass.

To add to this, one of the hardest part of the recovery is the mental aspect. Boogie seems mentally strong and I agree that his skill set will not be overly diminished by losing some athleticism. He will still be able to shoot and pass the same. He may not be crossing many guys over anymore though. In all honesty he is probably most dangerous down low with his back to the basket. I really think he'll be fine.

Yes my thinking is if anything this might make Cousins even more dominate if he spends more time in the high post. Maybe he won't be taking guys off the dribble from the 3pt line but that's probably a good thing since the majority of his turnovers came in those situations.

I think worst case scenario is he becomes Marc Gasol. Gasol + AD could still win a heck of a lot of games.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

He actually tore his achilles.

To add to this, one of the hardest part of the recovery is the mental aspect. Boogie seems mentally strong and I agree that his skill set will not be overly diminished by losing some athleticism. He will still be able to shoot and pass the same. He may not be crossing many guys over anymore though. In all honesty he is probably most dangerous down low with his back to the basket. I really think he'll be fine.
    You are 100% correct.. the hardest part for me was absolutely the mental part.. it took me a long time before I fully trusted my foot.. took me a while to stop thinking I was going to blow it out everyone I tried to explode off it.. I have had 8 orthopedic surgeries and this one was hands down the toughest mentally in a lot of ways.. I don't see this impacting his game at all especially the way he plays. I came back faster and stronger from my first Achilles injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    You are 100% correct.. the hardest part for me was absolutely the mental part.. it took me a long time before I fully trusted my foot.. took me a while to stop thinking I was going to blow it out everyone I tried to explode off it.. I have had 8 orthopedic surgeries and this one was hands down the toughest mentally in a lot of ways.. I don't see this impacting his game at all especially the way he plays. I came back faster and stronger from my first Achilles injury.
    How old were you when you had your first Achilles injury?

Thread Information