Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Trade ideas to keep this season alive

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We at least it's nice to hear other fanbases valuing Jrue as much as wanting to trade for him
    One of them called him "an elite defensive PG" so it's nice to get genuine recognition
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It doesn't really matter what you prefer because AD and Cousins want to make the playoffs, now. If you want to keep them long term you cannot they to do a mini rebuild for 2 years then say "ok now we are going to compete."

The option isn't "suck now to be good later". If we suck now we will suck later because AD and Cousins will leave.
    But it is also not about making a trade just to make a trade. We have very limited assets and the draft picks are the best assets we have. If we waste them in a panic move, we lose future flexibility to improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    But it is also not about making a trade just to make a trade. We have very limited assets and the draft picks are the best assets we have. If we waste them in a panic move, we lose future flexibility to improve the team.
    I agree. I still think a trade happens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I understand this logic, but always wonder how you weigh the value of "future flexibility to improve the team" vs the ability to use future assets to improve the team now.

I think people in general always need something to look forward to, like Christmas, which is why we value the former more than the latter. We're trained to look forward to dessert, though I'm not sure there is any data or advanced numbers that show eating your dessert before dinner has any effect on the caloric impact of the meal.

If we can get a player that helps the team now, why should we care about future flexibility? The assumption is that something better might come along, but I'm not sure we can predict or expect that to be true.

Allowing Demps to mortgage what will be a lottery pick for a player or players that will add to our salary cap in the offseason, and still leave us as one and done in the playoffs.

#Pelslife
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Allowing Demps to mortgage what will be a lottery pick for a player or players that will add to our salary cap in the offseason, and still leave us as one and done in the playoffs.

#Pelslife
    So you think we had no need for a backup big? Gentry refuses to give Diallo any burn at all and Asik very limited minutes

AD is headed down the exact path Cousins went on if nothing changes

The only other option is to not trade, greatly reduce AD's minutes because an AD injury is beyond devastating at this point, and basically tank the season giving us a better 1st rounder, but not by a huge amount.

Which one do you want
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-29-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Gentry and Demps are idiots. They drafted Diallo, they drafted him for this system, he is in his second season here, he is on a contract where if he doesn't perform they can cut him no harm no foul. He is still here, he isn't playing, he is healthy, he has had moments (when given minuets) where he has been able to perform well, in spite of injuries he still can't get on the court or go to the G-League?

Naw fam, if those two guys can't figure out what to do with Diallo given our current mess, and they can't find anyone else to replace Diallo unless it's via trade then no, I say stand pat and let these two idiots go down with the ship. Either Diallo has Nigerian Princed them into something horrible, or they are deers caught in the headlights with no clue how to rebound from Boogie's injuries. No way I let them trade our pick when they shouldn't be here next season.

Agree, Diallo is being mishandled woefully (or is that mishandled beautifully)

Is anyone surprised doe?
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-29-2018 at 03:10 AM.

Fournier & O'Quinn... for Now and the Future

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7hqbb96

NOP gets: Fournier, O'Quinn

ORL gets: NOP top-10 protected 2018 1st, Asik, Booker

NYK gets: Diallo, NOP 2019 2nd

PHI gets: Moore, Allen

Pelicans get help at 2 key positions, with O'Quinn having a player-option he will likely opt out of, but could be retained with part or all of the MLE this summer as C insurance to bring Boogie along slowly and keep he and AD from playing too many minutes. Fournier is the much-needed playmaker and second/third/fourth scoring option who can take-over at times, taking pressure off Jrue and AD from having to carry too heavy a load. He's locked in long-term and rounds out the roster well.

Both guys help with the playoff push this season while Fournier helps out next season and beyond. Giving up Moore is tough, but Fournier creates his own shot off the dribble and makes plays for others in a way that's worth it. Would be nice to dump Ajinca in this trade, too (to NYK?), but not sure the other teams go for that without a better pick attached.

Magic have been rumored to be fielding offers for Fournier, and with not many teams offering many good deals, they settle for future salary relief and another 1st this summer with the potential to be in the lotto. Booker's deal is expiring, and Asik's salary becomes an expiring/partially-guaranteed trade chip by next trade deadline. Would be nice if they would also take Ajinca's contract back. Frank Jackson could possibly be added, if needed for extra value, but this could be the best deal they can get.

Knicks add a young-potential PF prospect and a future 2nd, plus immediate salary savings for this season, and clear room for younger Willy HG. Would they take back Ajinca and his 5-mil. contract for next year, too?

Sixers add a guard who's having a career year shooting lights out from 3 and plays solid defense, for just an expiring contract. Could also be Bayless outgoing with a pick or young prospect attached, if they'd rather that. This could also be CLE taking Moore and sending out Frye's expiring and a min. contract player (Rose?) to ORL instead, but PHI seemed like a team that could be interested in taking on Moore and his salary since ORL would probably rather an expiring in his place.

I'm a Pels fan, so the obligatory re-imagined roster afterwards (For this season):
    *Pels sign Frye, Bogut, Speights, or Monroe after buyout, sign Liggins for rest of year.

O'Quinn / Monroe
    Davis / Cunningham
    Hill / Miller
    Fournier/ Clark / Liggins
    Holiday / Rondo

*(Cousins is re-signed in summer, returns to form)*

Crunch-time/Small-Ball line-up:

Davis
    Hill
    Miller
    Fournier
    Holiday

Diallo has played 39 games, and sat for 125 games, over the course of a season and a half. It really is puzzling. I saw the kid get in a game and hit two jumpers from the elbow. I was excited because I had no earthly idea he could shoot a decent shot.

Edited to add: I believe he will leave this team and go on to probably become a great player. Because that’s just how it goes for our ex-players.
    Last edited by Rel11; 01-29-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    RIP FlyGirl

Yeah and some people said Jeff Withey was going to be the next great center in this league and just couldn't get minutes here.

I'd like Diallo to get minutes too now that Cousins is out but let's not sugar coat it, he has been pretty bad when he's played this year. His defense has been pretty terrible, he fouls a lot, he can really only play PF but he's 3rd or 4th in line there.

Now will that change? Maybe so. We are 1 game into the Post Cousins season. Lineup adjustments will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7hqbb96

NOP gets: Fournier, O'Quinn

ORL gets: NOP top-10 protected 2018 1st, Asik, Booker

NYK gets: Diallo, NOP 2019 2nd

PHI gets: Moore, Allen

Pelicans get help at 2 key positions, with O'Quinn having a player-option he will likely opt out of, but could be retained with part or all of the MLE this summer as C insurance to bring Boogie along slowly and keep he and AD from playing too many minutes. Fournier is the much-needed playmaker and second/third/fourth scoring option who can take-over at times, taking pressure off Jrue and AD from having to carry too heavy a load. He's locked in long-term and rounds out the roster well.

Both guys help with the playoff push this season while Fournier helps out next season and beyond. Giving up Moore is tough, but Fournier creates his own shot off the dribble and makes plays for others in a way that's worth it. Would be nice to dump Ajinca in this trade, too (to NYK?), but not sure the other teams go for that without a better pick attached.

Magic have been rumored to be fielding offers for Fournier, and with not many teams offering many good deals, they settle for future salary relief and another 1st this summer with the potential to be in the lotto. Booker's deal is expiring, and Asik's salary becomes an expiring/partially-guaranteed trade chip by next trade deadline. Would be nice if they would also take Ajinca's contract back. Frank Jackson could possibly be added, if needed for extra value, but this could be the best deal they can get.

Knicks add a young-potential PF prospect and a future 2nd, plus immediate salary savings for this season, and clear room for younger Willy HG. Would they take back Ajinca and his 5-mil. contract for next year, too?

Sixers add a guard who's having a career year shooting lights out from 3 and plays solid defense, for just an expiring contract. Could also be Bayless outgoing with a pick or young prospect attached, if they'd rather that. This could also be CLE taking Moore and sending out Frye's expiring and a min. contract player (Rose?) to ORL instead, but PHI seemed like a team that could be interested in taking on Moore and his salary since ORL would probably rather an expiring in his place.

I'm a Pels fan, so the obligatory re-imagined roster afterwards (For this season):
    *Pels sign Frye, Bogut, Speights, or Monroe after buyout, sign Liggins for rest of year.

O'Quinn / Monroe
    Davis / Cunningham
    Hill / Miller
    Fournier/ Clark / Liggins
    Holiday / Rondo

*(Cousins is re-signed in summer, returns to form)*

Crunch-time/Small-Ball line-up:

Davis
    Hill
    Miller
    Fournier
    Holiday
    We sure are giving up a lot compared to other teams...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We need to get Randall from the Lakers. Give them Cunningham and a lottery protected 1st. DO NOT TRADE Moore. His value is too high. We could do very well with Randall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Guru
    i have seen diallo have good games too but i never understood how some fans here figure that he would be a big part of this season when i think we all believe that dell and gentry would be fired if the team didnt make the playoffs with a full season of AD and boogie playing together......there were threads made at the end of last season and the start of this season about diallo and a lot of yall said diallo will be the first big off the bench....i said that diallo was going to be in the g-league,,buried on the bench or traded because i figure gentry was not going to put his job in the hands of a young raw player like diallo.........i dont know what happen to diallo but he has been bad this season and i wish we had reporters who could let us know whats going on with him when the team work out....maybe the coaching staff is not working with him.....he should get some time b4 the allstar break..........

some of yall need to close yall mind to AD playing center full time now because AD cant handle that and he has said he dont want to do it so forcing him to play center 40 mins a game now just may be bad for the pelicans future.....imo AD mind is not strong to take the physical beating that boogie take every game plus his body cant take it,,AD start to loose it and start arguing and his game get throwed off...i 100% believe that we will somehow bring a center to this team b4 the dead line because AD cant handle it plus he got used to having boogie take that heat while he just roam free and get physical when he wanted to....AD couldnt handle jordan yesterday under the basket....

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    We need to get Randall from the Lakers. Give them Cunningham and a lottery protected 1st. DO NOT TRADE Moore. His value is too high. We could do very well with Randall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Randle would be a nice get and Lakers would be looking to get back into the 1st round

Also acquiring Bradley would be pretty huge
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-29-2018 at 11:01 AM.

I love Bradley from the Pistons but I believe he is a free agent next year.

In terms of bigs, we can prob snare away Vucevic from the Magic, they have tried building around him and it just hadn’t work.

A cheap big would be Zach Randolph form the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Randle would be a nice get and Lakers would be looking to get back into the 1st round

Also acquiring Bradley would be pretty huge
    Both would be 30 game rentals.

Yeah there is that

I'm not a big supporter of trading the first away. But THAT is definitely something i could get behind.

Holy cow, Randle is already on the last leg of this rookie contact? That's crazy, time flies.

Fournier is the modern-day Ginobili, if Kemba trade doesn't happen, hopefully we can get E-Fourn in here

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    maybe Noah after he is bought out, which could happen this week. That relationship in NY is over!!

I like Randle a lot. I’m ready to see what happens.

I'm on record last year as favoring a deal netting us Fournier and Vucevic over the Cousins trade, so I'd be very happy to get one or both of them, though both is clearly pie-in-the-sky.

Bottom line, we need a big who (hopefully) can fit into a three-big rotation next year + a dynamic wing. Both gets would not be just about salvaging this season, but are longterm needs even with Cousins back in the fold. As such, we should be open to trading our 2018 first rounder. O'Quinn and Fournier would clearly be a best case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I'm on record last year as favoring a deal netting us Fournier and Vucevic over the Cousins trade, so I'd be very happy to get one or both of them, though both is clearly pie-in-the-sky.

Bottom line, we need a big who (hopefully) can fit into a three-big rotation next year + a dynamic wing. Both gets would not be just about salvaging this season, but are longterm needs even with Cousins back in the fold. As such, we should be open to trading our 2018 first rounder. O'Quinn and Fournier would clearly be a best case scenario.
    Yea I agree. And With Vucevic our with a hand injury for a while longer, I think that rules him out.

Thread Information