Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Trade ideas to keep this season alive

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    I wonder if we can net a decent player for an ajinca, hill and our second rounder trade.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No.
    One can dream

Wonder what it would take to get Mario Henzonja.. if wonder if a couple of 2nd rounders would do it.. just depends on how much value the Magic hold in him but from how it looks it doesn't seem like very much. Would love to have this kid here and imo provides the lowest risk but highest reward player on the market.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Wonder what it would take to get Mario Henzonja.. if wonder if a couple of 2nd rounders would do it.. just depends on how much value the Magic hold in him but from how it looks it doesn't seem like very much. Would love to have this kid here and imo provides the lowest risk but highest reward player on the market.
    Hezonja is a stud. Having him here would be glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Hezonja is a stud. Having him here would be glorious.
    Kid is exactly what we are looking for on the wing.. ridiculous athlete that can slam it with the best of them, a very good passer, and knockdown 3 point shooter.. kid has a ton of potential with star written all over him if he can get everything clicking. At worse I think he develops into a very athletic wing who can score in bunches. he needs a change of scenery and the Magic are absolute fools for not playing this kid more imo.. our system and fit is perfect for his skill set.. if there was one deal I want to make it is grabbing this kid.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-05-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Kid is exactly what we are looking for on the wing.. ridiculous athlete that can slam it with the best of them, a very good passer, and knockdown 3 point shooter.. kid has a ton of potential with star written all over him if he can get everything clicking. At worse I think he develops into a very athletic wing who can score in bunches. he needs a change of scenery and the Magic are absolute fools for not playing this kid more imo.. our system and fit is perfect for his skill set.. if there was one deal I want to make it is grabbing this kid.
    He is a FA next season. Even if the team could trade for him do you honestly think they would go into the lux to re-sign him using his bird rights?

We don't even play Diallo, I doubt this guy gets a run here unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He is a FA next season. Even if the team could trade for him do you honestly think they would go into the lux to re-sign him using his bird rights?

There are other moves we can make to free up a little space if we want to resign him in the offseason.. if the kid shows he can play then his contract could be a steal in the offseason.. how else do you suggest we improve this team? Diallo wasn't playing do to have 2 super stars in front of him while we were still developing him. Now that we have more of a need for a big he has been playing solid minutes.. I absolutely think this kid would be played heavy minutes here when we have nothing else.. at the moment we have 1 wing on this roster over 6'4 that is healthy. Since he is a FA in the offseason he should come pretty cheap. Not saying we do it but it's just a suggestion to help improve this team.. I see a lot of people shooting down every single trade yet are offering nothing.. so you really think this team is just going to stand still and make no moves? If we can't afford this kid then who in the world do you think we will bring in to improve this roster? Our best chance is going after someone like him with very little risk and a nice reward.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

I will say this, the most logical thing I have seen offered locally and from national pundits is that the Pelicans will likely go into the luxury tax to start the year, but because you don't have to pay it til the end of the season. We are positioned in such a way that if things go sideways, you could move enough contracts pretty easily to get back under.

Of course, if things go sideways that could also signal the beginning of the end for the AD era here. Since that is the sort of move that signals only one thing to hungry players at the same point in their career Chris Paul was when he and West decided that the organization, in attempting to trade away Tyson Chandler for bargain bin centers, were not interested in doing what was necessary to win.

It's going to be a tough knot to tie. Realistically this team needs an upgrade at point guard at a minimum, and not much money or assets left to do it with. And with the salaries we have I am not sure how we do that? As much as I like Jrue, he still presents a bit of a problem for us currently. To work optimally he needs to be off the ball, for Davis and Cousins to work more optimally they need a good facilitator, and Jrue does as well. To get the defense where it needs to be, they need a guy at the point that isnt a sieve. To make Hill be useable in the starting lineup, we need a point guard that can shoot.

How do the Pelicans find that in their current situation? An above average facilitating point guard that can defend and shoot the three respectively? Who do they even have as options? I look at the FA landscape and see no one that we can afford. Maybe, maybe you can nab a Shabazz Nappier or Fred VanVleet. but neither of them are know facilitators like are ideal, or great defensively.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-05-2018 at 02:59 PM.

For us to resign Cousins next season and hold on to AD this team is going to have to commit to going into the luxury tax. We have no other way of improve this team. Like Bronco said we can always make moves if we feel the need to get under. Someone like Henzonja is the exact player we will be in the market for. He's not going to cost much while still holding a ton of potential. Dell makes these types of moves every year only difference is this kid has a lot more talent then the guys we usually are able to get. I'm sure he has done a good bit of scouting on the kid when he was over seas. I thought I remember Dell liking this kid but maybe that was only Saric.. kid is only 22 years old and from a talent perspective he checks of just about every single box we would be looking for. He's very close to putting his game together and just needs to right opportunity to do that.. Euro players usually never make the move to the NBA as young as he did and almost always take until their mid 20s to start breaking out of they do.. he's the most talented wing I have ever seen come from Europe and would love to have him here. Have no idea what it will cost to eat him but I can't see it being more then some 2nd round picks with only a half year left on his contract..

I would feel very comfortable going into next season with Jrue, Moore, Hill, Miller, and Henzonja in our rotation at SG/SF.. this team would be missing a 4th big and backup PG.. I believe we have one if not both of those guys on the roster in Jackson and Diallo.. this team is very close but we just need some luck to go our way and hit on a couple of players..

Figured this is a good place for this:

Even wing Kent Bazemore is not getting much love on the market, despite having the most productive season of his career. Bazemore is a good perimeter defender averaging 13.2 points and making 38.9 percent of his 3s, a career high. But he is due $37 million over the next two seasons (the second is a player option, and he is expected to opt in). The Pelicans have had interest in Bazemore, but the Hawks likely would have to take back Solomon Hill ($26 million over the next two years) and would not be able to get a first-rounder out from New Orleans until 2020. “There’s a dozen teams who could use [Bazemore], but no one wants to pay him that,” one exec said. 2 hours ago – via Sporting News
    http://hoopshype.com/rumor/1161350/

Seems like we are very much open to acquiring Kent Bazemore, but the Hawks are going to have to settle for taking on Solomon Hill. Which it seems they are hesitant to do but looks like all other team are willing to offer either: A guy with one less year on his contract, slightly lower, for something like a second rounder, is about the best they will get.

Also, like I think many suspected, Hill is probably are next biggest stumbling block to improving the roster. I know a low of people like his defense, but until/unless he really develops a better jump shot, he is really limiting in the ceiling of this squad, and limiting the flexibility of finding ways to upgrade and balance out the roster.

If Hill was 5 million a year less, like he probably would of been any other FA year, this roster would be much better positioned heading to next season's seeming make or break year.

Thread Information