Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DeMarcus Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    You can blame anybody You wish.
    1. Gentry for MPG played. Especially recently.
    2. DMC for his style of play.
    3. CP3 being a**hole during/around FT shooting.
    4. Bad luck
    5. Voodoo.
    Or whatever.
    It happened.

Boogie was sidelined because of Achilles last year. Had some problems this year.

So It is combination of everything.

It is too early to talk about next season.
    Lets finish this one first.
    Nice post

It's very easy to be distraught right now but we need to grind it out to not go to pieces as fans and as a team

I can see Cousins bouncing back from this. I’m not ready to write the man off .
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Sad day indeed...hoping for a good recovery...10 months is realistic to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well f***.

We were starting to gel together, play good stuff, close out games and win.

We never catch a break. What was there..20 seconds left in the game? This is sickening. Hope we can hold on for the playoffs
    '' We are here!!''

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Sad day indeed...hoping for a good recovery...10 months is realistic to me.

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but it's roughly the same point in the season that Wes Matthews and Rudy Gay tore theirs, and they both made it back by the beginning of the next season. Thing is, even when you do, it's notorious that that first year back you are not yourself. With A.D. in town it could/should take the pressure off of Boogie that he would have felt as the sole star in a place like Sacto, and he could maybe dial back the offense until he felt his legs were up to it. Focus on rebounding and passing and go 15-18ppg or some such in the first few months rather than having to force low efficiency offense. Try to crank it up as the playoffs neared, assuming of course that Demps (if he survives) has been able to put together a strong enough cast to make it without Boogie at 100%.

I don't want to even talk about the Elton Brand scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I don't know what it is about this time of year, but it's roughly the same point in the season that Wes Matthews and Rudy Gay tore theirs, and they both made it back by the beginning of the next season. Thing is, even when you do, it's notorious that that first year back you are not yourself. With A.D. in town it could/should take the pressure off of Boogie that he would have felt as the sole star in a place like Sacto, and he could maybe dial back the offense until he felt his legs were up to it. Focus on rebounding and passing and go 15-18ppg or some such in the first few months rather than having to force low efficiency offense. Try to crank it up as the playoffs neared, assuming of course that Demps (if he survives) has been able to put together a strong enough cast to make it without Boogie at 100%.

I don't want to even talk about the Elton Brand scenario.
    Elton did his over 10 years ago

I'm sure medical science has evolved lots since then

team just officially announced the ruptured Achilles diagnosis
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    The devastation is real over here. I can’t believe how sad tonight has made me. Can’t have anything nice!
    first game i missed to spend time with the gf. i blame her lol

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    kick her to the curb

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Elton did his over 10 years ago

I'm sure medical science has evolved lots since then
    I actually saw an article or something online that said that in the small time between Wes Mathews tore his Achilles and Rudy Gay tore his, the medicine behind fixing it changed dramatically. Which may not be much but it is definitely encouraging.

I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Haha, it was the first game I've been able to watch all season here in the PNW. I just discovered nflstreams and nbastreams on Reddit. Watched the whole game on my TV last night. I feel partly responsible, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    I actually saw an article or something online that said that in the small time between Wes Mathews tore his Achilles and Rudy Gay tore his, the medicine behind fixing it changed dramatically. Which may not be much but it is definitely encouraging.

I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    That would be awesome. Yea, please find that article- we can use all the hope we can get, lol
    Last edited by Rheem654; 01-27-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    I can see Cousins bouncing back from this. I’m not ready to write the man off .
    +1
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

I agree with Boogie bouncing back. Surgery has advanced so much in 10 years. Plus,Boogie’s game is based on power not so much quickness. If anything, his shot will improve.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Couple of thoughts... IMO

1. there’s no way Boogie signs with another team. We will resign him to a huge contract and he will be back.

2. One big positive is we got to see how good we can be with our team chemistry and Boogie fits great here. I️ will assume we will take a risk on him and pay him. We will be loyal just like we were with Jrue. Remember Jrue’s injury made us question his ability to bounce back. Now look at him. Demps made the right move signing him. I️ see Boogie getting the best medical care and recovery possible and I️ see him coming back to us especially if Demps shows he’s going to take the risk on him and especially if we make the playoffs.

3. Boogie is the best center in the league period. His numbers are insane. Even if he has a drop off in his ability I️ still think he will be dominant. He’s better than Elton brand. He’s young and they’re not going to screw this up. Too much at stake. His rehab process will be the best imaginable. Put yourself in his shoes... contract year.... young nba player. Never made playoffs. Finally found a home with AD and company. The future is too bright. Even if he only has 3-4 years left in the nba it’s worth paying him a ton because we are going to be contenders very soon. He will be motivated beyond our understanding. I’m glad we got to see flashes of what we can do.... it gives us a chance to keep this intact long term.

How about Tim Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Couple of thoughts... IMO

1. there’s no way Boogie signs with another team. We will resign him to a huge contract and he will be back.

2. One big positive is we got to see how good we can be with our team chemistry and Boogie fits great here. I️ will assume we will take a risk on him and pay him. We will be loyal just like we were with Jrue. Remember Jrue’s injury made us question his ability to bounce back. Now look at him. Demps made the right move signing him. I️ see Boogie getting the best medical care and recovery possible and I️ see him coming back to us especially if Demps shows he’s going to take the risk on him and especially if we make the playoffs.

3. Boogie is the best center in the league period. His numbers are insane. Even if he has a drop off in his ability I️ still think he will be dominant. He’s better than Elton brand. He’s young and they’re not going to screw this up. Too much at stake. His rehab process will be the best imaginable. Put yourself in his shoes... contract year.... young nba player. Never made playoffs. Finally found a home with AD and company. The future is too bright. Even if he only has 3-4 years left in the nba it’s worth paying him a ton because we are going to be contenders very soon. He will be motivated beyond our understanding. I’m glad we got to see flashes of what we can do.... it gives us a chance to keep this intact long term.

When you say a huge contract...I hope we do not bid against ourselves...I would love to pay him 20 mil a year honestly, but he will want more. He is getting a pay raise and we do not completely kill our cap... I hope and pray we do not offer him the max coming off a really bad injury.
    Last edited by msw2024; 01-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.

When you say a huge contract...I hope we do not bid against ourselves...I would not offer him more than 20 mil a year honestly. He is getting a pay raise and we do not completely kill our cap...I would love to pay him 15 mil a year but no way he signs that. I hope and pray we do not offer him the max coming off a really bad injury.
    You would be a terrible GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You would be a terrible GM.
    Nice Hot take with no substance...What would you pay him? Please enlighten me or all you got is a hot take? I hope boogie would sign somewhere between 20-25 mil a year most likely 25 mil with annual increase up to year 4 at 30 mil. He will have incentives that could pay him more. I just don't want to offer the max that he is eligible for. He is eligible to be paid max contract starting at 30 mil and increase to 35+ mil by year 4.
    Last edited by msw2024; 01-29-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Nice Hot take with no substance...What would you pay him? Please enlighten me or all you got is a hot take? I hope boogie would sign somewhere between 20-25 mil a year most likely 25 mil with annual increase up to year 4 at 30 mil. He will have incentives that could pay him more. I just don't want to offer the max that he is eligible for. He is eligible to be paid max contract starting at 30 mil and increase to 35+ mil by year 4.
    He'll get paid the max, whether by the Pels or someone else. He's got the nastiest agent in the game too. The guy behind the Dwightmare. Even Wes Matthews, coming off the same achilles tear on roughly the same time frame, got the max (well his max).

And it's really very very much in the Pels interests to just not screw around with this either. Boogie prizes loyalty and family above all else. He wants a home and to be wanted, not doubted. The players and coaches responses have been very good thus far in treating him like he's absolutely part of the family and will be back. The Pels front office can just lock this down, with maybe just a little dickering for games played or something. Something that seems reasonable and not hostile. But bad organizations send out bad karma in waves.

With this injury anything done here now can not work out for the franchise, but the very best things it can do is immediately offer Boogie the max, with only negotiation around the edges. Have A.D. and any coaches and surviving GMs show up on his doorstep at midnight the day of FA and have a little family party. And with the Clips taking the dive, to survive to limp on home and sneak into the playoffs. They'll be gone in a round, but it will still open the idea that hey, we still held on to make the playoffs even without you big guy, now you come back next year and we're going to be dreaming of bigger things.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post

Good on him. Prayers up for Boogie.

I want us to resign him, but before we do I want to make sure that he is on schedule. I had a friend who worked with Oschner and the Pels (now with another NBA team) when Jrue was hurt. The reason Jrue took so long to rehab was because he wasn't following the planned out treatment schedule, and so we got him on limited mins, etc. They lay out a plan by which you can track progress. I hope that we have Boogie on one, and before we resign him we make sure that he is near those benchmarks set forth. Last thing we need is another bad contract.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

#TheResurgence

more like #TheresUrgence amirite?

Is Boogie the heaviest guy ever to do his achilles? That's what worries me the most

Fatigue + Over use + not enough time to recover properly + weighing at least 260 pounds is what caused the injury

Like David said today, being laid up and not being able to exercise + plenty of time to do nothing but eat is a real concern
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-31-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Thread Information