Pelicans Report

Thread: Zach Lowe On Cousins, Pelicans.

Zach Lowe On Cousins, Pelicans.

He does his annual selection of Allstar starters and reserves for each conference. Tucked away in the really good piece is a large section on his thoughts about Cousins and the Pelicans. A lot of stuff people already sort of know, but some interesting tidbits nonetheless:

I was hesitant to classify Cousins a lock. The Pelicans are two measly games ahead of a Clippers team that has spent half the season with D-League guys around DeAndre Jordan and Williams. If they really have two of the 12 best players in the conference -- and according to most experts, two of the 12 best in the league -- why are they mediocre?

Cousins' own limitations line up almost perfectly with those of his team. He turns the ball over at an absurd rate and chronically fails to get back on defense; the Pelicans turn the ball over too much and hemorrhage transition points with Cousins on the floor. (Their turnover rate drops from bottom-five territory to best-in-the-league when Davis plays center, per NBA.com.)

There are just way, way, way too many opponent possessions when you see only nine players on the television screen for an alarming length of time. Like, sometimes the opponent will take a shot, grab an offensive rebound, and go up for another shot before Cousins -- pouting and wheezing -- crosses half court.

That is death on morale. Opponents have outscored the Pelicans by about three points per 100 possessions in 625 minutes when Cousins plays without Davis, and their defense has been a catastrophe, per NBA.com.

Davis has outplayed Cousins, and Aldridge has been steadier -- the stabilizing two-way force for an injury-riddled Spurs team that somehow keeps winning.

It's not as if the Pelicans' twin towers have no help, either. Jrue Holiday has been sensational, and both E'Twaun Moore and Darius Miller are sizzling from deep.

But Cousins is a big reason those guys are playing so well -- and even for some of Davis' career-best shooting numbers. On offense, he has transformed himself into what the Pelicans need him to be -- a monstrous, 3-point-shooting point-center logging huge minutes. The price of that transformation is Cousins occasionally falling down while dribbling, turning the ball over, and huffing at the referees while the other team scores.

Cousins happily cedes the lane -- and rim-running duties -- to Davis, allowing Davis to act in a more natural finisher role. Davis gets more shots in the restricted area with Cousins on the floor, and enjoys more assisted baskets, per NBA.com. A full half of Holiday's baskets have come via assist this season, up from just 29 percent a year ago, and that role recalibration has turned him into a different player.

Cousins is good enough with the ball to make you wonder if the Pelicans need a traditional point guard at all. They have outscored opponents by almost 19 points per 100 possessions -- insane -- when Holiday, Cousins, and Davis play without either of the Rajon Rondo/Jameer Nelson duo, per NBA.com. (The margin doesn't drop much when you slide Davis out, either.)

Rondo and Nelson are sieves, and lineup data at least raises the possibility that New Orleans' bad defense has less to do with Cousins than the eye test might suggest.

Because nobody fails the eye test on bad nights like Cousins. A lot of other stars -- including Davis -- lollygag back on defense, but no one does it with Boogie's gusto. You notice it more, and for Boogie skeptics (guilty!), the nausea of watching him loaf probably colors our perception of him more than it should. It's also easy to overlook the unusually high number (for a big man) of steals he swipes -- thefts that compensate at least a bit for his own oafish pratfalls.

The Pelicans spring leaks on the defensive glass when Cousins sits. The Boogie/non-Brow lineups have been net positives since December 1 after a hideous start. Opposing coaches fear Cousins, even if they would never want to coach him.

And overall that Pelicans supporting cast is, umm, not good. They are getting nothing from six of their 15 roster spots. Nothing! That number would be "only" five with Solomon Hill, but still. It's unclear if Miller, Nelson, Dante Cunningham, or Ian Clark would get real minutes on a normal playoff team; Rondo would certainly not receive so many. Moore would be a reserve.

It's fair to ask why one mediocrity deserves two All-Stars, while two and maybe three others receive none. All of those teams are deeper than New Orleans in NBA rotation guys. Cousins is deserving. I just wouldn't start him.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rters-reserves
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-23-2018 at 05:00 PM.

So, if Solomon Hill and Tony Allen were healthy and we had +5 more wins and we weren't mediocre, then Cousins would somehow be more deserving?

Years ago Zach Lowe stooped to writing a hit piece on Cousins after his 3rd season, just during the chaos after the Maloofs were forced to sell and an all new owners/GM/coach/everything (just as bad) was coming in in Sac.

Unshackled from the idiocy of Keith "Smart", Cousins proceeded to blow up under Mike Malone and has never looked back. I don't think Zach's ego has ever been able to forgive Boogie for making him look dumb, and so year after year after year the tool finds somebody, anybody, to champion over Cousins. Multiple somebodies. I'm pretty sure during an era when Cousins has put up historic numbers, that never, not one time, has Zach Lowe's media ballot every had DeMarcus Cousins on a single All NBA team. Which would be completely unprecedented for a guy annually averaging 25+pts 11+rebs. But nope, Zach has found ways for any and all combinations of Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, DeAndre Jordan, Draymond Green and if I recall correctly, even Big Al Jefferson to fill up his ALl NBA centers.

To call him a biased observer would be to assume he even observes. he's a lost little puppy when it comes to Boogie. Kind of embarrasses himself, even admits his bias these days, but is incapable of checking his ego and getting over it. Makes him look very small.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpagenola View Post
    So, if Solomon Hill and Tony Allen were healthy and we had +5 more wins and we weren't mediocre, then Cousins would somehow be more deserving?
    I think he's just basically putting out a stream of consciousness that culminates in him thinking Cousins is flawed, but doesnt get enough credit for all of the elite things he also does, that people knocking the team(including himself previously) for not being better aren't giving a fair shake to how much Cousins elevates that team due to the poor role players we have(welcome to a Demps team) and only one other elite player. Role players outside of Jrue that wouldn't start on almost any other playoff team.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-23-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Years ago Zach Lowe stooped to writing a hit piece on Cousins after his 3rd season, just during the chaos after the Maloofs were forced to sell and an all new owners/GM/coach/everything (just as bad) was coming in in Sac.

Unshackled from the idiocy of Keith "Smart", Cousins proceeded to blow up under Mike Malone and has never looked back. I don't think Zach's ego has ever been able to forgive Boogie for making him look dumb, and so year after year after year the tool finds somebody, anybody, to champion over Cousins. Multiple somebodies. I'm pretty sure during an era when Cousins has put up historic numbers, that never, not one time, has Zach Lowe's media ballot every had DeMarcus Cousins on a single All NBA team. Which would be completely unprecedented for a guy annually averaging 25+pts 11+rebs. But nope, Zach has found ways for any and all combinations of Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, DeAndre Jordan, Draymond Green and if I recall correctly, even Big Al Jefferson to fill up his ALl NBA centers.

To call him a biased observer would be to assume he even observes. he's a lost little puppy when it comes to Boogie. Kind of embarrasses himself, even admits his bias these days, but is incapable of checking his ego and getting over it. Makes him look very small.

Just FYI, he puts Cousins right outside the starters of Davis, Durant, and Aldridge. Who he has as starters.

He seems to give a pretty honest and accurate assessment in my mind. No one denies his flaws, but I thought Lowe, illustrating in ways that even I haven't seen pointed out, the ways he is a major positive force on this roster, this team, for AD, and how many of the charges he himself would throw at him are sort of not very fair when you take context into account.

I am really not seeing the hate and vitriol some of you seem to see. It seems like a pretty honest, indirect apology to Cousins, and engendering a ton of respect toward him. IDK.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-23-2018 at 06:20 PM.

But nope, Zach has found ways for any and all combinations of Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, DeAndre Jordan, Draymond Green and if I recall correctly, even Big Al Jefferson to fill up his ALl NBA centers.
    I never, and I mean never, look to see who voted for who for all NBA, but is this true?

Al Jefferson? Really?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Just FYI, he puts Cousins right outside the starters of Davis, Durant, and Aldridge. Who he has as starters.

He seems to give a pretty honest and accurate assessment in my mind. No one denies his flaws, but I thought Lowe, illustrating in ways that even I haven't seen pointed out, the ways he is a major positive force on this roster, this team, for AD, and how many of the charges he himself would throw at him are sort of not very fair when you take context into account.

I am really not seeing the hate and vitriol some of you seem to see. It seems like a pretty honest, indirect apology to Cousins, and engendering a ton of respect toward him. IDK.
    Yeah, I thought it was a pretty spot on assesment of Cousins, both the good and the bad. His limitations reflect directly on the limitations of this team, just as his strengths have transformed this offense into an elite unit. With a better supporting cast, Cousins will have to carry less of the weight, which will hopefully pay dividends on both ends.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I never, and I mean never, look to see who voted for who for all NBA, but is this true?

Al Jefferson? Really?
    Probably from 2014, when Al Jefferson made All-NBA Third Team. The Hornets finished 48-34, which was their best record since the original Hornets era.

LOL -- YOU calling someone else biased on their observations on Boogie!!!!

THAT is the funniest thing I have ever read. As if Zach Lowe writes "hit pieces." He knows more about basketball and writes about them better than you. By a mile. It's one thing to pretend you know more than others on this board. But now to act like you are superior to Lowe?

You are a joke.
    @mcnamara247

Hi Crewz

You stay classy
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-23-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

THAT is the funniest thing I have ever read. As if Zach Lowe writes "hit pieces." He knows more about basketball and writes about them better than you. By a mile. It's one thing to pretend you know more than others on this board. But now to act like you are superior to Lowe?

You are a joke.
    Man, the curmudgeon persona plus marinating over at TigerDroppings troll factory has rubbed off on you lol.

Guy's passionate, same as you, likes taking things outside of the typical base level pitchfork wielding fandom of solving all our problems by firing Gentry. I feel like you all would have more in common than differences? Including a temper toward those that frustrate you apparently, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

You are a joke.
    Oh, you don't know me apparently. I play it very very nice here. This is my "chill" face. My reputation in other parts of the internet is nowhere near as cuddly and fluffy.

Now every time Zach Lowe comes by you are welcome to bend over and pray that he bestows some of his wisdom on your poor unworthy self, but I am rather notorious for looking people square in the eye and putting everything and everyone to the test. And Zach and I have rather more in common than not. Similar age, home cities, educational backgrounds. And we both like to pretend we know basketball. The difference is, he's turned his hobby into a probably not that lucrative career, whereas I have a life and only do this on the side. I've interacted with him briefly a couple of times -- my calling him out actually caused him to come over and visit the last board I moderated. If we met it would be rather unlikely he'd try to son me, and if he did I'd just laugh at him.

Oh, and the thing is I also, BTW, almost surely know a hell of a lot more about DeMarcus Cousins than Lowe does, and quite likely more than you do as well. Just btw, for the same reason that you could make the same claim about Anthony Davis toward me. In the end, bully pulpit or not, Lowe's just another Ivy League sports geek living here in the same city I do. I probably sat next to the guy on a dorm commons couch shooting the breeze as we watched the Final Four some spring. Meanwhile now he has to follow and watch the entire league and try to pass off being an expert in 30 teams and 300+ players every year. I may watch the whole league when I can, but make no such pretenses. You will never find me off on a Detroit board telling them what's what with Tobias Harris. But Boogie Cousins I know very very well. I've got over 500 games of watching Boogie under my belt. How many you got? How many do you think Zach has? He's a neophyte in my little corner of the NBA. A dilettante. I've been watching the NBA since the 1980s. I'm old enough to have watched the original Twin Towers and have seen every great center of the past 40 years play. I've been moderating NBA boards since the internet was born. I've been running statistical analysis of what Boogie is and is not since his rookie season. I've probably written enough on the topic to publish my own book at this point. And you think some national sports writer who catches a few games a year, watches some highlight clips, and visits the same stats sites I do is going to overawe me with his Boogie acumen? Please. If Zach's got something to say about Tobias, I'll listen. Question, but listen. Zach's a smart enough guy, just overextended and with biases like everyone else has. But now he wants to make excuses for why LaMarcus Aldridge is better than Boogie and attempt to impress the adoring masses by noting that a player duping Charles Barkley's MVP statline may actually, finally for the first time, be worthy of a seat at the end of the bench of the All Star game? No, now he's in my kitchen.

So if there is nothing else, it was charming to meet you. Feel free to run along now to wherever you came from.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 01-24-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    this is good ...

Thread Information