Pelicans Report

Thread: Gentry Needs To Go

Gentry Needs To Go

Enough is enough... the fit just isn’t right.

LoL.. 2 soon junya!!

Not too soon. They jacked 44 threes tonight. Why?

Thats what got them in the hole, but thats not what got them back in it.

Gonna outcoach himself come playoff time.

How about waiting till the game is over before posting garbage?

I want the guy gone even when we win. *shrug*
    RIP FlyGirl

Look, with the team in good playoff position with only a couple of weeks until the trade deadline and All Star break, Gentry realistically isn't going anywhere unless the team rips off a 10 game losing streak. So might as well just pocket these sorts of threads until the offseason start up.

We are 7-3 in our last 10 (tied for 2nd best over 10 in the league currently) . We've won 6 of our last 7. I get that this team can be frustrating at times and it's easy to blame the coach for that...

But maybe firing the head coach mid-season with no clear replacement while being in 6th and only 1 game out of 5th isn't the greatest solution.

I would really like to see the impact of Hill being back first before we fire anyone. Let's see what happens at the trade deadline.

We wanted Alvin to bring in offense while not losing our defense and improve Davis offensive potential.

We are 1 game out of 5th place. We are 5th in O rating, 24th in D, which should improve when Solo comes back.
    We are 3rd in pace, and play some exciting , but sometimes frustrating, basketball. Is this really the time to call for Gentry to be fired?

Quote Originally Posted by kidjock24 View Post
    We wanted Alvin to bring in offense while not losing our defense and improve Davis offensive potential.

We are 1 game out of 5th place. We are 5th in O rating, 24th in D, which should improve when Solo comes back.
    We are 3rd in pace, and play some exciting , but sometimes frustrating, basketball. Is this really the time to call for Gentry to be fired?

Well, as I detailed over in the latest defensive thread, that last number is a problem and theoretically a Gentry-centric problem.

But otherwise, I agree that this is an obvious no go at the moment. The team looks poised to be in the hunt right to the end of the season, so barring some disaster, I think this is largely a non-starter now no matter what happened in Milwaulkee.

Gentry Needs To Go

In our position, I do not think it would be smart to fire Gentry. I never think mid season firings are great ideas. I am not even a fan of Gentry. We are 5th in West which is the best situation we have been in a long time. I don’t think we need to change coaches. We need small tweaks like more depth to save our star players from being worn out and our bench not giving up big leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's the excuse for 44 threes tho? It was pretty damn obvious the Bulls, and neither most teams, can stop the hi lo between Davis and Cousins.

Again, the whole world wonders why this team does not play inside out more often, but instead anybody has the green light to jack threes. Ball never has to touch the paint.

Let's not be fooled.....we are winning because of our talent and not because of our coaching. That continues to be a major issue. We should have lost to the Bulls has Holiday made that last free throw.
    How is the world do allow your players to foul last second three point attempt?

that foul was called by a ref who had two plays after reviewed and overturned. just sayin, it was the worst foul called this year and not on gentry "allowing" players to foul.

It was a terribly officiated game and that is the norm for any game that Lauren Holtkamp is involved in. She is beyond terrible. However, I was very disappointed in the play Gentry drew up at the end of the 1st OT (I think). It was a drive by Jrue and a kickout to CLark for a 3. The game was tied, we did not need a 3 and Clark was cold coming off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It was a terribly officiated game and that is the norm for any game that Lauren Holtkamp is involved in. She is beyond terrible. However, I was very disappointed in the play Gentry drew up at the end of the 1st OT (I think). It was a drive by Jrue and a kickout to CLark for a 3. The game was tied, we did not need a 3 and Clark was cold coming off the bench.
    Wasn't it to Miller? I thought we got wide open 3s to Miller and Moore in OT that would have iced the game and they missed both.

I don't think we subbed our players in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Wasn't it to Miller? I thought we got wide open 3s to Miller and Moore in OT that would have iced the game and they missed both.

The only rotation that bothered me in the game(aside from the general lineups I wish we would change), and I cant completely knock it, was taking Cousins out on that possession the Bulls eventually tied the game up with.

Where the Bulls and Markkanen immediately identified the subbed in Cunningham, who hadn't played in a long time, and just attacked it for an easy layup against a cold defender.

I know they wanted the added speed, but you ride the guys that got you there and that one change led to the Bulls tying the game back up. When I saw it yesterday I said to my girlfriend, they are gonna go right after Cunningham with the young kid, or try and run the set around Cunningham to take advantage, and Gentry is making a mistake....and sure enough.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The only rotation that bothered me in the game(aside from the general lineups I wish we would change), and I cant completely knock it, was taking Cousins out on that possession the Bulls eventually tied the game up with.

Where the Bulls and Markkanen immediately identified the subbed in Cunningham, who hadn't played in a long time, and just attacked it for an easy layup against a cold defender.

I know they wanted the added speed, but you ride the guys that got you there and that one change led to the Bulls tying the game back up. When I saw it yesterday I said to my girlfriend, they are gonna go right after Cunningham with the young kid, or try and run the set around Cunningham to take advantage, and Gentry is making a mistake....and sure enough.
    I can understand that. I was fine with the sub for a couple reasons. Mainly Cunningham is a good enough defender, it gave Cousins a bit of rest, and we still were guaranteed the ball because there was something like 32 seconds left. A quick score to tie wasnt a bad thing.

The next play was the Jrue to AD alley oop with only 3.2 seconds left and Chicago with no timeouts. Outside of that.... Iffy 3pt foul call on Miller, the game would have been over.

Clark. He had not played since 8:36 remaining in regulation. Yet, Gentry puts him in ice-cold and calls the last critical play for him to shoot a 27 foot 3 pointer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...801220NOP.html

0:29.0 122-122 Defensive rebound by D. Cousins
    0:15.0 122-122 D. Miller misses 3-pt shot from 25 ft
    0:15.0 122-122 Offensive rebound by D. Miller
    0:10.0 122-122 New Orleans full timeout
    0:10.0 122-122 I. Clark enters the game for D. Cunningham
    0:10.0 N. Mirotic enters the game for J. Grant 122-122
    0:02.0 122-122 I. Clark misses 3-pt shot from 27 ft
    0:02.0 122-122 Offensive rebound by J. Holiday

Clark. He had not played since 8:36 remaining in regulation. Yet, Gentry puts him in ice-cold and calls the last critical play for him to shoot a 27 foot 3 pointer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...801220NOP.html

0:29.0 122-122 Defensive rebound by D. Cousins
    0:15.0 122-122 D. Miller misses 3-pt shot from 25 ft
    0:15.0 122-122 Offensive rebound by D. Miller
    0:10.0 122-122 New Orleans full timeout
    0:10.0 122-122 I. Clark enters the game for D. Cunningham
    0:10.0N. Mirotic enters the game for J. Grant 122-122
    0:02.0 122-122 I. Clark misses 3-pt shot from 27 ft
    0:02.0 122-122 Offensive rebound by J. Holiday
    Yes I went back and checked. I don't disagree with it either.

At :15 Miller had a wide open 3 that he missed. We got the ball, had a chance to run out the clock and take the final shot with no risk, we pull Cunningham out and put Clark in for offense.

The play wasn't specific called for Clark but he got a wide open shot and just missed. I will not blame Gentry for doing what literally EVERY coach does and subbed an offensive 3pt shooter in over leaving a defensive player on the court.

Yes I went back and checked. I don't disagree with it either.

At :15 Miller had a wide open 3 that he missed. We got the ball, had a chance to run out the clock and take the final shot with no risk, we pull Cunningham out and put Clark in for offense.

The play wasn't specific called for Clark but he got a wide open shot and just missed. I will not blame Gentry for doing what literally EVERY coach does and subbed an offensive 3pt shooter in over leaving a defensive player on the court.
    I don't really have a problem with him subbing an offensive player for Cunningham (although sadly, Clark is no better a 3 point shooter this season than Cunningham). However, it was apparent that it was drawn up for Jrue to drive and kick out (which is why Clark camped out at the 3 point line). I thought Jrue had Lopez set up to commit a foul or allow the shot and instead he kicked out to an open Clark. However, Clark had not played in basically a quarter or more. I would have expected that to go to Moore or Miller instead of a cold Clark if that was the intent (not that we needed a 3 though).

I don't really have a problem with him subbing an offensive player for Cunningham (although sadly, Clark is no better a 3 point shooter this season than Cunningham). However, it was apparent that it was drawn up for Jrue to drive and kick out (which is why Clark camped out at the 3 point line). I thought Jrue had Lopez set up to commit a foul or allow the shot and instead he kicked out to an open Clark. However, Clark had not played in basically a quarter or more. I would have expected that to go to Moore or Miller instead of a cold Clark if that was the intent (not that we needed a 3 though).
    I mean literally 5 seconds earlier the play did go to Miller who missed. Gentry put in his 5 best offensive players and got a clean that the player just missed

If the situation had been reversed and Clark had made the shot, would ANYONE have given Gentry credit for subbing Clark in to make the winning shot? I just don't think so. It's expected to swap offense and defense at the end of games.

Did Jrue make a perfect play? Probably not. It did look like he could have scored or got a foul on rewatching that play, but I also can't really fault him for seeing a wide open player and figuring that was the better shot.

I can understand that. I was fine with the sub for a couple reasons. Mainly Cunningham is a good enough defender, it gave Cousins a bit of rest, and we still were guaranteed the ball because there was something like 32 seconds left. A quick score to tie wasnt a bad thing.

The next play was the Jrue to AD alley oop with only 3.2 seconds left and Chicago with no timeouts. Outside of that.... Iffy 3pt foul call on Miller, the game would have been over.
    Like I said, other than my larger nitpicks about lineups in general, that was really my only complaint. I get the rationale, which what you say is probably what Gentry was thinking, and had it worked no one would of complained.

It's just very hard for most people to go from 0 to 100 in those situations, so I think in that instance you ride the wave that got you there. Continue letting Davis guard Marrkanen and let Cousins continue guarding Mirotic. The lineup got you an 20-2 run or whatever it was, let it close out the last few seconds of play.

We won, on to the next one, it's pretty much whatever now.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Like I said, other than my larger nitpicks about lineups in general, that was really my only complaint. I get the rationale, which what you say is probably what Gentry was thinking, and had it worked no one would of complained.

It's just very hard for most people to go from 0 to 100 in those situations, so I think in that instance you ride the wave that got you there. Continue letting Davis guard Marrkanen and let Cousins continue guarding Mirotic. The lineup got you an 20-2 run or whatever it was, let it close out the last few seconds of play.

We won, on to the next one, it's pretty much whatever now.
    Davis was fouled out.

Thread Information